Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC Applied Maths 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Other answers I got:
    1a i 24 -.5t*2
    ii 18.375

b i : .53
    ii: 23.74

2a ii 18:51
    b ii 91

3a something like 12

5a ii .84mu*2
    bi (pretty sure it's wrong) .77

10 a i 4.22
    ii .33

b i 1 and 2 seconds
    ii t*3 over 3+3t*2 over 2+2t+1
    iii 1 metre (could be wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

matthew8 wrote: »
    Other answers I got:
    1a i 24 -.5t*2
    ii 18.375

2a ii 18:51
    b ii 91

3a something like 12

5a ii .84mu*2
    bi (pretty sure it's wrong) .77

10 a i 4.22
    ii .33

b i 1 and 2 seconds
    ii t*3 over 3+3t*2 over 2+2t+1
    iii 1 metre (could be wrong)

I don't remember what I got for the other Qs but I got exactly the same for Q1a and Q10 :) a bit of a relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

Q3 (a) I think its u = 4.9sqrt33 (or u = 28.148)
    Q10 a (i) v1 = 4.2248 m/s (ii) s = 0.330997 m
    b (i) Changes at 1 and 2 seconds (ii) s = (t^3)/3 - (3t^2)/2 + 2t + 1 (iii) 2/3 m
    Student.

For 4 part a indeed the acceleration of A is half acceleration B, got that one wrong but the same thing came up in 2008 and checked it just there.

Anyone get the answer to 4 b part ii, I got 2.67 and 17.47 but no idea if it's right.

I got t = 0.267s and x = 14.5 cm, i don't think you converted from cm to m

Then again I could be wrong too!

Ompala wrote: »
    Q3 (a) I think its u = 4.9sqrt33 (or u = 28.148)
    Q10 a (i) v1 = 4.2248 m/s (ii) s = 0.330997 m
    b (i) Changes at 1 and 2 seconds (ii) s = (t^3)/3 - (3t^2)/2 + 2t + 1 (iii) 2/3 m

I think you've made a mistake on 10 b iii, integrating it like it was only one curve, but it was like a curve that went over and under so you had to do it for the first and the second second separately, which checks out because I got 1/6 metres for the second second, in case you didn't already know (I made a mistake too here, my answer on this threadis a correction on it).

Just redid 3a and yeah that's the answer I got, not around 22.

Sorry for all the post mortem lads, I can't help myself.
    I got t = 0.267s and x = 14.5 cm, i don't think you converted from cm to m

Then again I could be wrong too!

The cm really caught me off guard there and I never dealt with it, but surely then my answer should be 100 times your answer?

Anyway it should only be a blunder for me.

I think you've made a mistake on 10 b iii, integrating it like it was only one curve, but it was like a curve that went over and under so you had to do it for the first and the second second separately, which checks out because I got 1/6 metres for the second second, in case you didn't already know (I made a mistake too here, my answer on this threadis a correction on it).

Just redid 3a and yeah that's the answer I got, not around 22.

Sorry for all the post mortem lads, I can't help myself.
    The cm really caught me off guard there and I never dealt with it, but surely then my answer should be 100 times your answer?

Anyway it should only be a blunder for me.

Well spotted on Q10, annoyed at myself for missing that. But your answer makes sense though, as you are changing direction at 2 and 1 seconds (in my head anyway)

Q3 was very strange, took me a while to cop it.

Not 100 times as we had to take the square root, so thats why its off by 10 not 100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 PhysicsKid99

T=0 and t= 3, anyone? I just said it changes when v=0 and integrated

Well spotted on Q10, annoyed at myself for missing that. But your answer makes sense though, as you are changing direction at 2 and 1 seconds (in my head anyway)

Q3 was very strange, took me a while to cop it.

Not 100 times as we had to take the square root, so thats why its off by 10 not 100

Good stuff, works out there I checked it. Anything for question 5? that's the only thing left in the post mortem really. Can't believe I messed up the 2 questions I find easiest usually, but the good news if they give you nearly all the marks for the equations in 4, and getting v1 and v2 in Q5, even though the lion's share of the time is spent doing the hard graft afterwards. As for the difference in the value of x in q4, did you take the acceleration of the wedge into account for the relative acceleration? Were we supposed to?

Did you take into account that starting velocity was 2? That's where you would've gone wrong to get those. In fact I'm sure, because if you didn't your equation would have been t*2 -3t, which gives 0 and 3.

Did you take into account that starting velocity was 2? That's where you would've gone wrong to get those. In fact I'm sure, because if you didn't your equation would have been t*2 -3t, which gives 0 and 3.

Well, oops. I didn't think of that. Thanks, though :) How many marks would I lose, do you think?

Well, oops. I didn't think of that. Thanks, though :) How many marks would I lose, do you think?

You'd definitely be down 3, and if they think it oversimplifies the question you'd be down 6 but I think that's a harsh interpretation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Not happy with that paper at all :(

Good stuff, works out there I checked it. Anything for question 5? that's the only thing left in the post mortem really. Can't believe I messed up the 2 questions I find easiest usually, but the good news if they give you nearly all the marks for the equations in 4, and getting v1 and v2 in Q5, even though the lion's share of the time is spent doing the hard graft afterwards. As for the difference in the value of x in q4, did you take the acceleration of the wedge into account for the relative acceleration? Were we supposed to?

I got the same answers for Q1 too btw
    Really getting nowhere with Q5, got 0.875mu^2 for part a, for part b did you have to solve a quadratic for it?
    I did account for relative acceleration of wedge in Q4, my reasoning being its like the "net" acceleration of the block. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Lads, I'm just glad it's over :D From the looks of it nobody was too happy, so that means the part a's will be stacked for marks, and a lot of us who felt they've scored B's will get curved up to a A to keep the status quo. I felt myself that I might've got a low B/high C, but with everyone feeling that it was tough, who knows where we might end up?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

I said vx>0 at range, so then I ended up getting 1>0 and then TanA< TanB. It made sense when I did it out...

From part i, if you got it, you took tana to equal tanB over 1+2tan^2B. If you can prove that all that is less than tanB, you've proved tana is less than tan B

I got t=1 and t=2

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CelestialKing

Welp. I bottled that. At least I got my Wedge out!

Feck that Q5 anyways!
    I did the number crunching for the quadratics and explored the possibilities but if you go through all the combinations you get e = sqrt46/14 = 0.48
    Getting k from the second part poses problems as you get two different answers depending on which solutions you use from the quadratic, I got k = 6.93 or k = 2.41.
    Lads I'm totally baffled by this question :confused:

I got the same answers for Q1 too btw
    Really getting nowhere with Q5, got 0.875mu^2 for part a, for part b did you have to solve a quadratic for it?
    I did account for relative acceleration of wedge in Q4, my reasoning being its like the "net" acceleration of the block. I could be wrong though.

Strange that we got different answers then (did you split up the wedge acceleration into the 2 diagonals?), mine was wrong for Q5 I checked but I think you might be wrong too. The second part lead to a quadratic, just checked there and made an error with my plus and minus signs. It's just the most annoying thing when you feel under pressure for time and you come up with an error like that and it ends up costing you more time.

Feck that Q5 anyways!
    I did the number crunching for the quadratics and explored the possibilities but if you go through all the combinations you get e = sqrt46/14 = 0.48
    Getting k from the second part poses problems as you get two different answers depending on which solutions you use from the quadratic, I got k = 6.93 or k = 2.41.

I can't get it either at all. What are the values for velocity in the i plane? I have Vq = 2u(1+7e)/3 and Vp = u(2-7e)/3 but at those values there's no positive value for e that gives an equal impulse. Surely they can't have made a mistake?

Strange that we got different answers then (did you split up the wedge acceleration into the 2 diagonals?), mine was wrong for Q5 I checked but I think you might be wrong too. The second part lead to a quadratic, just checked there and made an error with my plus and minus signs. It's just the most annoying thing when you feel under pressure for time and you come up with an error like that and it ends up costing you more time.

Hmm that rings a bell about diagonals, but its been nearly a year since I did App Maths (going through last years paper on this actually) its gone out of my head.

Did not like Q5. Someone else might be able to come along and solve it, but I'm out!

Once again those who studied hydrostatics benefitted massively, it was a very straightforward question, much simpler than many of the others.

You seem to have done very well though in the paper so I wouldn't worry, I'd say you got an A1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Lads, I'm just glad it's over :D From the looks of it nobody was too happy, so that means the part a's will be stacked for marks, and a lot of us who felt they've scored B's will get curved up to a A to keep the status quo. I felt myself that I might've got a low B/high C, but with everyone feeling that it was tough, who knows where we might end up?

Although the A-rate has remained pretty static, the A1:A2 ratio fluctuates quite a lot. There's only so much they can do, without comprising integrity of exam, to impose a distribution. But, as you say, a lot of the a-parts were fairly average, so they can throw marks at thos if average is down on prev. years.

Feck that Q5 anyways!

I got the 0.48, didn't get k. Im hoping that not getting k but getting the rest of the q will get me 40 marks

mcratsix wrote: »
    I got the 0.48, didn't get k. Im hoping that not getting k but getting the rest of the q will get me 40 marks

I'd be very surprised if k was worth more than 5 marks.

Any answers for 1 out there?

Other answers I got:
    1a i 24 -.5t*2
    ii 18.375

I believe those are the correct answers

Did anyone find q8 suspiciously easy?

I believe those are the correct answers

I think that I just cried of happiness...

mcratsix wrote: »
    Did anyone find q8 suspiciously easy?

Yup, I think so. What did you get for k? I got 15

Also; for omega in Q6, anyone get pi/8?

• Advertisement

I think that I just cried of happiness...

I'm glad, cos thats the first bit of good news coming from this thread all day!

Advertisement