Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** LC Applied Maths 2014 - Before and after discussion **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PhysicsKid99

didnt like that at all.No chance of an A now but sure.

how the hell do you prove tanA < tan B ?

I said vx>0 at range, so then I ended up getting 1>0 and then TanA< TanB. It made sense when I did it out...

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

And now the wait for SEC to upload the paper is on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭RedSeven7

didnt like that at all.No chance of an A now but sure.

how the hell do you prove tanA < tan B ?

Haven't a clue! :confused:
    I thought that paper was really tough :/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

:(

I even screwed up the pulley question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

What time will the paper be up?

Wouldn't mind a look for old times sake

• Advertisement

What time will the paper be up?

Wouldn't mind a look for old times sake

Around 5 or 6pm. I could take a picture of some questions when I get home if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Delightfully Bright

Everyone I was talking to said it was a tough paper. I'd say they'll be nice in the marking scheme or else applied maths might lose its huge A1 rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭FHB

At least other people found it tough too...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Solid_Shepard

To say that was terrible would be an understatement.

Question 1 was alright. The b part was fairly easy, but I couldn't get (ii) as I forgot what to do.

Question 2 was...less alright. The a part was absolutely terrible, to say the least; I can't remember a single time something like that came up. The b part was fine.

Question 3 was ok. The a part was tricky and really time-consuming, while the b part was ok. The (ii) was very tricky, I thought, and I was forced to move on past it due to the time.

Question 4 was...well...I don't like that diagram so didn't do it. It looks very tricky. The b part seems alright.

Question 5 wasn't too bad in terms of maths, but finding the co-efficient of restitution took so long that there was ample room to slip-up, and I ended up making an error in the maths which had a knock on effect.

Question 6 I didn't like. The first part was a tricky way for them to ask to prove Simple Harmonic Motion. I ended up making an error looking at it now though, as I used the "four" instead of "one over four" which was a stupid error. This had a knock on effect on the second part. The b part I didn't like either. The first part was kind of ok, but I only just noticed that I completely misread the (ii) so that went terribly too.

Question ten seemed ok. I'm worried that I thought it went ok.

Overall, I had been expecting an A1; now, I am not.

EDIT: Ok, so under the absolutely worst case scenario, where each part is 25 marks, an i part is 15, and an ii part is ten, and they remove all of the marks for an incorrect answer, I would be down to 235/300. I don't think it'll be marked that harshly, so maybe I got a B1 pushing it which is better than I thought. I'm not hopeful though.

K=15 anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Around 5 or 6pm. I could take a picture of some questions when I get home if you want.

Ah it's alright i'll wait around for it. The physics paper looked lovely so I was wondering would this one be a walk in the park as well - apparently not!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jimbob95

Anyone else feel like they will be lucky to pass after feeling beforehand like they would get at least a B? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Delightfully Bright

jimbob95 wrote: »
    Anyone else feel like they will be lucky to pass after feeling beforehand like they would get at least a B? :/

I haven't heard of anyone yet who liked the paper so don't give up yet. They'll throw attempt marks at us to keep the high A rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

RedSeven7 wrote: »
    Haven't a clue! :confused:
    I thought that paper was really tough :/

I used the expression for Tan A from the first part (which was in terms of Tan B) and put it < Tan B and went from there, ended up with a line like Tan B > 0 which is true if B is an acute angle, which I guess it has to be.

Very rough paper. Was hoping for an A1, now I'll be lucky to get a B1/B2. Oh well. Didn't need Applied Maths for points, realistically I was only doing it to get a head start on mechanics for 3rd level.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Well there goes my A :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 c0unterpart

Well there goes my A :(

same.

HIGH FIVE !

Ah it's alright i'll wait around for it. The physics paper looked lovely so I was wondering would this one be a walk in the park as well - apparently not!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Shanrahan

I got k=32?... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Ompala

For Q 9
    (a) 3200 and 4800 kg/m^3
    (b) (i) x = 45.18 cm (or to be exact, x^2 = 100,000/49)
    (ii) Tension = 160 N
    (iii) Density = 428.157 kg/m^3 ( or 3000/7 kg/m^3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭RedSeven7

For Question 4(a) - the pulley - does anyone know if the acceleration of A and B is the same, or if the acceleration of B a multiple of the acceleration of A or vice versa?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

wF2DcQb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Shanrahan

For Question 4(a) - the pulley - does anyone know if the acceleration of A and B is the same, or if the acceleration of B a multiple of the acceleration of A or vice versa?? :confused:

Yeah they should be the same and then force equals mass times acceleration

Shanrahan wrote: »
    Yeah they should be the same and then force equals mass times acceleration

I think it's all one acceleration a... And I used T for all tensions throughout the string cause it's only one string.

Nicke011 wrote: »
    I think it's all one acceleration a... And I used T for all tensions throughout the string cause it's only one string.

I used a and 2a because A had two strings attached... Oops

I used a and 2a because A had two strings attached... Oops

I had the accln of B was half that of A because when A moves forward, the length of the string string both gets longer and shorter because of the way it's set up, so B only moves up half the distance that A moves forwards. Don't really know what I was thinking tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

The hanging-block's acceleration is twice that of the other...unless this sun is doing weird things to my head. If I'm wrong, you won't notice I'm blushing cause this sun is doing weird things to my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

That was a tough paper and pretty out there. Still, apart from question 5 (b) I think I got the answers. Questions 2 and 10 were nice, and though 3 had some trig manipulation, it was fairly basic stuff otherwise. To prove tan B > tan a here's how:

(1+2tan*2B) (tan a) = tan B (taking the bottom off the right hand side and multiplying it by the left.

Therefore if 1+2tan*2B is greater than 1 tan B is greater than tan a (because multipling it by more than one means you get a bigger number).

To prove: 1+2tan*2B>1
    2tan*2B>0
    tan*2B>0
    (tanB)*2>0 true because (real)*2 > 0.

qweerty wrote: »
    The hanging-block's acceleration is twice that of the other...unless this sun is doing weird things to my head. If I'm wrong, you won't notice I'm blushing cause this sun is doing weird things to my face.
    I actually think you're right...
    Fu*k it anyway :(
    matthew8 wrote: »
    That was a tough paper and pretty out there. Still, apart from question 5 (b) I think I got the answers. Questions 2 and 10 were nice, and though 3 had some trig manipulation, it was fairly basic stuff otherwise. To prove tan B > tan a here's how:

(1+2tan*2B) (tan a) = tan B (taking the bottom off the right hand side and multiplying it by the left.

Therefore if 1+2tan*2B is greater than 1 tan B is greater than tan a (because multipling it by more than one means you get a bigger number).

To prove: 1+2tan*2B>1
    2tan*2B>0
    tan*2B>0
    (tanB)*2>0 true because (real)*2 > 0.

Please tell me are you a student or a teacher? ::D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Nicke011 wrote: »
    Please tell me are you a student or a teacher? ::D

Student.

For 4 part a indeed the acceleration of A is half acceleration B, got that one wrong but the same thing came up in 2008 and checked it just there.

Anyone get the answer to 4 b part ii, I got 2.67 and 17.47 but no idea if it's right.

• Advertisement

qweerty wrote: »

That actually makes so much sense. Damn. Oh well.

Advertisement