Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signs that you're getting old

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You have a box full of lp,s, vinyl, audio cassettes , vhs tapes, even though you do not have a vcr, or a audio cassette player.
    you have a box full of all phones, and 10 power supplys from the time when every single phone had a slightly different charger, with random connectors which are slightly different.and random old tv remotes .
    if you are a pc gamer you have a few games which came in giant box,s
    like 4 disk cdrom games which are worth nothing and just take up space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,790 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

At last inventory I own about 900 Cd’s and records..About 70 dvds including boxsets..... all that time wasted in shops, all that money spent... then some pair of smart genius cuntybollocks invents Spotify and Netflix within a couple of years... so for about 30 quid a month, I can listen to whatever song, album or watch practically any film committed to celluloid....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

BBC4 have a night of neil diamond scheduled and you think to yourself "that is my night sorted"

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

Its "all" been done in some manner or form before - so 99% is rehash
    and very little new and interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If i had 100 dvds i,d watch the best ones and just give em to a charity shop.
    i,d rip the cds to a laptop and upload the mp3,s to an online drive.
    Cds suffer from cdrot, in 10 years time they will be unplayable .
    i prefer mp3 files to spotify, you own them, you can put them on a phone
    or a tablet and play them anywhere .without having a connection to the internet.
    films are only on netflix for a limited time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Eyebags in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Falling asleep in afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭dublin49

explaining to your kids how brillant .best. cryuff ,higgins.etc were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Wilhelm III

Seeing comments on YouTube that were posted THIRTEEN F***ING YEARS AGO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Making noises getting up from the couch and hearing things crack! Not fun

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,289 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Seeing comments on YouTube that were posted THIRTEEN F***ING YEARS AGO!

Or noticing the video upload date was 15 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,648 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Birthday candles don't fit on the cake anymore

Struggling to stay awake after 12am

riclad wrote: »
    If i had 100 dvds i,d watch the best ones and just give em to a charity shop.
    i,d rip the cds to a laptop and upload the mp3,s to an online drive.
    Cds suffer from cdrot, in 10 years time they will be unplayable .
    i prefer mp3 files to spotify, you own them, you can put them on a phone
    or a tablet and play them anywhere .without having a connection to the internet.
    films are only on netflix for a limited time .

Prior to the health shîtstorm I got rid of a good few dvds. They take up a bit of space,....CDs I’m keeping, just so many that I can’t face going through deciding what to keep and what not to...

Just counted 13 and a half shelves full of CDs... from memory I’ve got two more boxes in storage.

scrolling down on a drop down box for a long time to get to the year you were born

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Strumms wrote: »
    At last inventory I own about 900 Cd’s and records..About 70 dvds including boxsets..... all that time wasted in shops, all that money spent... then some pair of smart genius cuntybollocks invents Spotify and Netflix within a couple of years... so for about 30 quid a month, I can listen to whatever song, album or watch practically any film committed to celluloid....
    Prior to the health shîtstorm I got rid of a good few dvds. They take up a bit of space,....CDs I’m keeping, just so many that I can’t face going through deciding what to keep and what not to...

Just counted 13 and a half shelves full of CDs... from memory I’ve got two more boxes in storage.

I was never able to find a decent way to get rid of CDs or DVDs. You can recycle the cases and the paper inserts, but the yokes themselves have to go in the bin, which isn't very friendly at all.

Has anyone found a better way?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The tough-guy actors and athletes that you grew up with now look like they couldn't climb a set of stairs without taking a funny turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

When you fall over and instead of laughing everyone comes over to see if you’re hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

jelem wrote: »
    Its "all" been done in some manner or form before - so 99% is rehash
    and very little new and interesting.

Well come up with something original instead of complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Or noticing the video upload date was 15 years ago!

Hard to believe, remember it was such a novelty and we would all take turns and pick a couple of songs on it to play at a party.

The lad into death metal was banned from picking after a couple of outings though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mimon wrote: »
    Well come up with something original instead of complaining.

To be fair, becoming more Victor Meldrew-esque is a sign of getting older.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

"If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain"

There are many versions of this quote and it has been attributed to several different people but I've noticed that it has started to apply to me in some ways.

When an age gap is something worth noting. The next rung on getting old is when the same age gap is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

What's the story morning glory?

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

bullpost wrote: »
    When you find records in your sons collection from your era that were totally naff back then, but now are as cool as f**k

Examples?

I was never able to find a decent way to get rid of CDs or DVDs. You can recycle the cases and the paper inserts, but the yokes themselves have to go in the bin, which isn't very friendly at all.

Nope...

I’ve got a PC with a big load of memory and ripped pretty much everything to my PC.

I’ve decided courtesy of this thread to get a few more storage boxes and load them all up , going to put everything into storage....In my parents attic...CDs are taking up a LOT of room, I literally haven’t opened a cd case in 3 years... spotify and my pc have everything... place would look aesthetically better without just oceans of CDs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

charity shops still take them. even if you got rid of the boxes and only have them in CD wallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

When I saw Crime Call was on last night, I was excited to watch it.... help....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

^^^ Is that possibly a sign your a bit wierd rather than a sign you're getting old?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

^^^ Is that possibly a sign your a bit wierd rather than a sign you're getting old?

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I've always loved backpacking. I go to Asia almost every year for a few weeks.

When I was younger I would see this one dude in the hostel, with grey in his hair, and I'd think "go to a hotel dude, you're too old for here".

Last time, I looked around the hostel bar, and had that moment "****, I'M that guy!"

That was a real "bruh" moment for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looking forward to retirement because you couldn't give a crap about climbing the corporate ladder any more.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

WrenBoy wrote: »
    When I saw Crime Call was on last night, I was excited to watch it.... help....

I watch old episodes on Crimewatch UK on Youtube.

Never miss Crime Call either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭ablelocks

so for about 30 quid a month, I can listen to whatever song, album or watch practically any film committed to celluloid....

you need to get over to the BA forum and see how to get Netflix/Tidal/YouTube premium for about €10-12 a month all in (family accounts, cheaper again if you go individual).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

It hit me a few years ago when I was in town and all the junkies you see are all younger than you .

ablelocks wrote: »
    you need to get over to the BA forum and see how to get Netflix/Tidal/YouTube premium for about €10-12 a month all in (family accounts, cheaper again if you go individual).

Thanks for the tip, didn’t know about that thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Your birthday card says " Happy 70th "

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Esho

Dub Ste wrote: »
    Last time I was in the barbers, after asking if I wanted my eyebrows trimmed, he said, "I'll just give the hair in you ears a little trim while we're at it".......:eek:

Yes I go to a Turkish barber now so they can "flame the ears"!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Esho

The retirement age will be over seventy by the time I get to retirement. Just inject me and sent my remains to the soylent factory when I'm longer economicaly viable.

Getting the reference to soylent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

Thanks for the tip, didn’t know about that thanks...

The poster is advising you to get over to the Bargain Alerts forum.

See, I’m young enough to be in on the cool lingo. Not old at all! :o

when you havent played a game of football since the mid 90's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Russel Crowe looks like a man approaching 90 ....

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-dorset-55916630

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I would love a Volvo estate in brown.

That has to be a sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Your dentist is younger than you

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

You have to scroll down for ages to select your year of birth when filling out a form online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Your priority when buying a car goes from "how fast can it go, and how cool does it look" to "what mileage does it do, and how easy is it to get in and out of"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

You have a stick in your garage specifically for stirring paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

When your co-workers weren't born when you did the leaving cert!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

You remember when this was all fields

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

When your co-workers weren't born when you did the leaving cert!

How about when your co-workers are technically young enough to be your kids. If you’d married young. Yikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Thread like this already exists. Merging now.

Advertisement