Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I see it's now on the latest Garmin map 2020.30, must be a record! Still not on Google maps yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Alun wrote: »
    I see it's now on the latest Garmin map 2020.30, must be a record! Still not on Google maps yet though.

You'd think that Google would have some sort of auto update for maps. It's not like hundreds or thousands of cars are likely to start driving across fields at 100kmh or suddenly take flight any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

You'd think that Google would have some sort of auto update for maps. It's not like hundreds or thousands of cars are likely to start driving across fields at 100kmh or suddenly take flight any day.

Maybe not thousands...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/german-artist-uses-99-smartphones-to-fool-google-maps-with-fake-traffic-jam-1.4797313

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Hadn’t thought to check until now, but the new road is also on Apple Maps. Not sure what’s taking Google, especially when another part of them have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Seems a row broke out over the 'shambolic lack of communication' in the closure of the bridge at the weekend for Storm Ciara's high winds. The story is in the New Ross Standard, according to a tweet I've just seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It closed from 00.00 to 08.00 Sunday without warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

vicwatson wrote: »
    It closed from 00.00 to 08.00 Sunday without warnings
    I was going to ask who would be using it at that time of the night. Then I remembered that there are ferries which arrive in Rosslare overnight. Thinking more about it, I realised that if the bridge was closed, there is a good chance that the ferries weren't running ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Problem will be if they close it without much warning in the mornings during peoples commute. Chaos will reign around New Ross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why not just close it to high sided vehicles? OR if side swipes is what they are mainly concerned about reduce the crossing to one lane each way?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Why not just close it to high sided vehicles? OR if side swipes is what they are mainly concerned about reduce the crossing to one lane each way?

But the trucks will be just as high if its down to 1 Lane? If they're gonna be victim to the wind then they shouldn't be on the bridge during high wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OR if side swipes is what they are mainly concerned about reduce the crossing to one lane each way?
    You would need thousands of traffic cones. Potentially difficult to deploy promptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

Victor wrote: »
    You would need thousands of traffic cones. Potentially difficult to deploy promptly.

And they'd have to be well weighted

Major bridges closing isn't a weird thing. Loads closed across the UK too. Queensferry Crossing, M48 Severn Crossing, A628 Woodhead Bridge, M62 Ouse Bridge, A14 Orwell Bridge, A55 Britannia Bridge, Humber Bridge and QEII Bridge at Dartford. May not be an exhaustive list. As well as the Channel Tunnel, due to flooding in Kent.

Victor wrote: »

I did think about that, had the designers been thinking about the cross wind potential they'd have engineered the deck to include push holes for that type of narrow "parking" bollard that is increasingly popular. I'm not sure you'd need thousands, with one every 5 meters or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure you'd need thousands, with one every 5 meters or so.

Yes, I'm possibly over-thinking that.

Heading east, you would need them from the Glenmore Rounabout to the far side of the bridge and westbound from the rest area to the far side of the bridge. That's about 4km, so 800.

However, if the wind is high, I'm not sure how useful staying in from the edge would be.

So then best thing - warning sign redirect and a height restrictor (or maybe a plate reading camera!) sending high vehicles through New Ross

serfboard wrote: »
    I was going to ask who would be using it at that time of the night. Then I remembered that there are ferries which arrive in Rosslare overnight. Thinking more about it, I realised that if the bridge was closed, there is a good chance that the ferries weren't running ...

Emergency Vehicles?
    Workers?
    Etc

Emergency Vehicles?
    Workers?
    Etc
    The bridge/new road was closed for exceptional circumstances, which will happen only a few times a year at most.

Up until a few weeks ago, these people used the old road, and they can continue to do so when the bridge is closed.

The bridge/new road was closed for exceptional circumstances, which will happen only a few times a year at most.

Up until a few weeks ago, these people used the old road, and they can continue to do so when the bridge is closed.

So every Orange warning the bridge will close? Day or night? or do storms only happen at nighttime

So every Orange warning the bridge will close?
    Seems that way. As I said previously, how many Orange or Red warnings does Wexford get in any calendar year?
    Day or night?
    Yep.
    do storms only happen at nighttime
    Yes, that's right. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Before this thread descends into complete pointlessness, I’d like to say a big thank you to M17 for the super job he did gathering and posting a huge number of photographs and bringing the project to life for so many of us, to insta_mavic for the super videos (and soundtracks) and to so many posters over the last few years for the constructive and informative posts.

Míle Buíochas

Fair enough if they need to close it in bad weather but lets be honest most of these weather warnings are uncalled for.

They also need advanced warning at both roundabouts stating the bridge is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

alta stare wrote:
    Fair enough if they need to close it in bad weather but lets be honest most of these weather warnings are uncalled for.

Says yourself
    I think you'll find that the last 2 named storms caused a fair bit of disruption in several parts of the country (and abroad).

Its best to just deal with the reality of bridges with high exposed decks closing during adverse conditions. It happens the world over and locals / regular travellers of the bypass will be well versed with this in time.
    There is still the former n25 routing so it's hardly the end of the world

no.8 wrote: »
    Says yourself
    I think you'll find that the last 2 named storms caused a fair bit of disruption in several parts of the country (and abroad).

Its best to just deal with the reality of bridges with high exposed decks closing during adverse conditions. It happens the world over and locals / regular travellers of the bypass will be well versed with this in time.
    There is still the former n25 routing so it's hardly the end of the world

Em we are talking about the New Ross bypass in the South East which did not get it as bad so yeah no big damage down here, no need to be issuing orange warnings and closing the bridge. Fair enough if it is required but the last storm did not warrant it. Met Eireann are loosing the run of themselves with all these warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

alta stare wrote: »
    They also need advanced warning at both roundabouts stating the bridge is closed.
    I'm actually very surprised that some kind of closure management system isn't in place with proper barriers, advance signage of detours etc. Surely that would be pretty standard for bridges of this size elsewhere?

alta stare wrote: »
    Em we are talking about the New Ross bypass in the South East which did not get it as bad so yeah no big damage down here, no need to be issuing orange warnings and closing the bridge. Fair enough if it is required but the last storm did not warrant it. Met Eireann are loosing the run of themselves with all these warnings.

Maybe you can sell them a crystal ball?

JohnC. wrote: »
    Maybe you can sell them a crystal ball?

Met Eireann have all required equipment which help forcast the weather. The issue seems to be their warning system. No crystal ball needed.

It is pretty clear an advanced warning system for road closure is required on the approach to the bypass and not on the bypass itself because if they allow traffic to be diverted down the slip road back into New Ross it will cause traffic chaos...again no crystal ball needed just a bit of foresight and planning.

Alun wrote: »
    I'm actually very surprised that some kind of closure management system isn't in place with proper barriers, advance signage of detours etc. Surely that would be pretty standard for bridges of this size elsewhere?

I thought i read in a post from Marno21 (sorry if i got that wrong) that there is ducting or something for such things. If there is hopefully they put them in at some point. The saving grace now though is that we are heading toward March so the stormy weather will die out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The barrow crossing 14/02/19
    rqwVY49.jpg

29/01/20
    HKeaDIq.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Kirbstone

I would like to second Hibernicis in thanking M17 for his superlative pictorial and video coverage of the construction and opening of the RFK Bridge.

Tom K.

Advertisement