Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

bazz26 wrote: »
    Tennent's Lager 500ml cans €1 each in Tesco Coonagh, Limerick this evening if that's your poison. Not listed on their website so not sure if it's nationwide.
    Saw them in Tralee earlier too.

I also noticed the Lomza four-packs are now €6.89.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

I love Tennant's. Lovely pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Since new year its just been the odd craft IPA, stout, red ale for me and at 2euro each you cant really go wrong..Its a complete reverse after the quantity over the build up to christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 23,374 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭borus22222

Any deals on whisky & cognac/brandy around? Stash went down after those long cold January evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭geordi

Tried a few bottles of Manislav last night. Lovely stuff

Brewed in Dundalk by Pearse Lyons and can be picked up in any Tesco for €1.47 a pop. Good review of it here https://thebeernut.blogspot.com/2019/07/man-up.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,905 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Imagine walking into an Offie and buying a box for €30 which would make 40 bottles of Brewdog or O'Haras in a couple of weeks?

Molloys have been selling Brewdog and some others home brew kits for at least a couple of years now. The Brewdog ones are €45 but it doesn't say on the website how much it makes.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

geordi wrote: »
    Tried a few bottles of Manislav last night. Lovely stuff

Brewed in Dundalk by Pearse Lyons and can be picked up in any Tesco for €1.47 a pop. Good review of it here https://thebeernut.blogspot.com/2019/07/man-up.html

Sounds good.
    Is that a half litre bottle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bronkobilly

carling 24 cans in lidl for 25 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭geordi

elperello wrote: »
    Sounds good.
    Is that a half litre bottle ?

Yep - lovely drop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Centra have 20 bottles of Heineken for €20, running from Thursday to Sunday.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the new regulations started that supermarkets couldn’t run offers for 3 days or less- the reason being to stop them reducing booze for weekends.

The above and Lidl‘s wine offer shows that the solution is as simple as just doing 4 day offers as opposed to previous 3 day weekend offers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Centra have 20 bottles of Heineken for €20, running from Thursday to Sunday.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the new regulations started that supermarkets couldn’t run offers for 3 days or less- the reason being to stop them reducing booze for weekends.

The above and Lidl‘s wine offer shows that the solution is as simple as just doing 4 day offers as opposed to previous 3 day weekend offers

Ha that is brilliant, like giving two fingers to the government. Also a good feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Supervalu Sutton charging €2.21 for the 470ml Guinness. The cans even have the barcodes that would not scan correctly- clearly they’ve ripped open the Christmas trays! That’s some markup...

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

fin12 wrote: »
    Ha that is brilliant, like giving two fingers to the government.

The Vintners Association will do their nut!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Ha that is brilliant, like giving two fingers to the government. Also a good feeling.

Isn't 'two fingers' a traditional measure for a whiskey?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Isn't 'two fingers' a traditional measure for a whiskey?

the modern, stuck at home on a friday measure is three.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,937 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

What are the chances of the government changing this sort of loop hole very quickly ?

There is not too much they can do , except minimum unit price i suppose. pity they can't just piss off and leave people alone to make their own choices like practically every government in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭bronkobilly

2smiggy wrote: »
    What are the chances of the government changing this sort of loop hole very quickly ?

There is not too much they can do , except minimum unit price i suppose. pity they can't just piss off and leave people alone to make their own choices like practically every government in the world

There.going.to.follow.scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

its hardly a loophole and it was a minor change in the mix of it all. i don't understand why the 3 day thing was introduced anyway as it is kind of irrelevant because most of the time those offers went for the best part of a week. if they really had to make sure there was no short run promotions, they should have made it at least 7 days.

the real change was the bulk buying and the vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

as above I would not consider it a loophole. A loophole to me is something they did not foresee or something going against the spirit of the rules.

A supermarket exploiting the rules would have say trays of guinness on offer for 4 days, but mysteriously not in stock for 3 of those days, or only 1 case out per day if there was some legal requirement for advertising or something.

It is not some smart of sneaky genius "why didn't I think of that" idea to have 4 day sales, people were saying this would obviously happen long before the law came in.

min pricing will only increase that €20 box to €22.39.

Back on topic centra have other deals

12x500ml bulmers/guinness/heineken/bud/carlsberg for €15

all till 27th jan

• Advertisement

While the purpose of this wasn't to bring in MUP, its kind if brought it in.

I went to a local shop that used to have a large selection of 330/355ml cans at 4 for e10, they're all e2.70 now.
    Its only an advantage for someone who doesn't have e10 spare.

Now those cans cost e10.80.

And to think they're going to try to add MUP on top of this... my God.

Well done to the people on voting for these gombeens.

There was a good article in the Sunday times last week talking about issues in the States and how, on a lot of issues, a small but vocal minority can really lead an agenda.

The whole MUP thing is just another example of this. 97-99% of the adult population are able to enjoy a few drinks while still living a normal life.

The bad experiences of a few are being used as a stick to beat the majority with, which is extremely frustrating.

Added to that is that something like MUP hits people on lower income to a disproportionate level.

Rather than hitting people with what is essentially another tax- just put a bit more money into support services for people who are dependent on alcohol.

This will just force the small few who are dependent to divert money from other uses to alcohol while also charging the rest of us a higher amount for our few drinks at the end of the working week.

Essentially it’s a load of misguided boll*x

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Well done to the people on voting for these gombeens.
    who are the gombeens?
    Rather than hitting people with what is essentially another tax-
    It's not a tax though, the retailer gets it, many people find it hard to believe its not a tax, it'd be like giving out speeding fines and giving the cash to the car manufacturer, of fining lads for spray painting graffiti and giving it to the paint company. That is hopefully why this nonsense will not go ahead, esp. now when we need all the tax we can get.

tesco
    Budweiser Budvar 12X330ml
    €14.76

That works out as €1.86 per 500ml, while the 500ml bottle is €2.90.

I pointed out that box ages ago as it was still great value even when the 4 for €10 was on the go.

rubadub wrote: »
    who are the gombeens?

It's not a tax though, the retailer gets it, many people find it hard to believe its not a tax, it'd be like giving out speeding fines and giving the cash to the car manufacturer, of fining lads for spray painting graffiti and giving it to the paint company. That is hopefully why this nonsense will not go ahead, esp. now when we need all the tax we can get.

tesco
    €14.76

I pointed out that box ages ago as it was still great value even when the 4 for €10 was on the go.

Even if it’s not a tax, it’s a regressive charge that hits people on lower incomes to a disproportionate level.

It punishes the majority for the issues of a very, very small minority.

It’s completely idiotic in a country that already charges a substantial amount more than its near neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

rubadub wrote: »
    who are the gombeens?

tesco
    €14.76

The retailers don’t want it. Well more like they are/were willing to sell it at that price so the customer came in the door and bought more stuff. Loss leader etc...

The idea that the government or anyone else thinks this will curb or reduce alcohol consumption is just plain stupid.

People will just increase what they spend or buy cheaper beer.

People with a problem will continue to buy it as they have a problem.

The youth will continue to buy because it’s cool.**

** well it was when I was a young lad. The price sure as hell wouldn’t have stopped me buying a few cans of cider for the field ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Looking at the Lidl offers leaflet theirs 2 beers listed

Argus strong beer- 500ml can 7.2% :eek: €1.79 each
    Argus premium beer- 500ml can 5% €1.49 each

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I remember in the late 90’s, I was in my early 20’s and the local nite club had pound a drink night on Thursday. We couldn’t wait for the doors to open because it was cheaper in there than the off licence.

So for the young ones, a pound was the same as €1.27.

20 something years later at Christmas just gone I was buying trays of Heineken working out at €0.67 per drink in Super Value.

Inflation my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

please, don't ruin a good a good thread with chatter about MUPpetry, gombeenery or any other type of non-bargain chatter - there are enough such threads elsewhere on boards if you have the interest.

20x330ml Carlsberg are approx €17 in supervalu if i rem correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

ablelocks wrote: »
    please, don't ruin a good a good thread with chatter about MUPpetry, gombeenery or any other type of non-bargain chatter - there are enough such threads elsewhere on boards if you have the interest.

20x330ml Carlsberg are approx €17 in supervalu if i rem correctly.

Chill out and have a drink for yourself for the love of God.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Looking at the Lidl offers leaflet theirs 2 beers listed

Argus strong beer- 500ml can 7.2% :eek: €1.79 each
    Argus premium beer- 500ml can 5% €1.49 each

Argus strong is absolutely delicious stuff. Before I started brewing I used to buy it by the slab whenever it was in stock - back then it was €1.50 a can so a tray of 20 came out to a nice even €30.

It tastes very different to your average lager, some will find it a delicious upgrade and others will find it an unpleasant downgrade. Definitely give it a try and see if you like it.

Advertisement