Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long ago has Southside vs Northside been a thing?

• 17-01-2018 4:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭

I should say it actually doesn't even seem to be that much of a thing anymore, if it ever was. There's no way of any rivalry really developing unless you play GAA or something but I'm interested to know when it first began to be a thing. My dad is from North Inner city and he has no memory of having any sort of feeling towards the 'southside'.

Comments

21Savage wrote: »
    I should say it actually doesn't even seem to be that much of a thing anymore, if it ever was. There's no way of any rivalry really developing unless you play GAA or something but I'm interested to know when it first began to be a thing. My dad is from North Inner city and he has no memory of having any sort of feeling towards the 'southside'.

I thought they had gotten rid of that by just replacing TS and TN with a simple T?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

its always been more banter than any real rivalry

I mean neighbouring GAA clubs would be far more rivals than a northside club vs southside club

I also think that those from the city centre wouldn't really be part of it...its more of a suburban thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

I presume as long as townie and culchie has been a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Do you mean just with regards GAA? In terms of social or class divide it dates back centuries to when the aristocracy moved across the river to the southside and it was established as the wealthy side. It was originally the north that was where the wealthiest people live but then places like merrion square and stephens green were built

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Ever since they bridged the Liffey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 Lodger81

Always seemed to be a southside thing to me. As a northsider i never gave the southside a sceond thought until i went to school there and got the whole "oh, you're a Northsider" reaction, was mostly banter anyway.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It died out a fair bit after Tupac was killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

All Dubs to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Since the culchies moved in and tried creating a divide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

wakka12 wrote: »
    Do you mean just with regards GAA? In terms of social or class divide it dates back centuries to when the aristocracy moved across the river to the southside and it was established as the wealthy side. It was originally the north that was where the wealthiest people live but then places like merrion square and stephens green were built

I was reading about this before and it's pretty fascinating. The northside around Parnell and Mountjoy squares were the fancy spots until Leinster house was built in the early 19th century, then all the rich folk followed over Southside and the Georgian northside buildings were converted to tenements, hence becoming the "rough" side. I may have the finer points of that wrong but that's roughly it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Northside vs Southside stereotypes fall fairly easily today when you compare Castleknock, Portmarnock and Malahide to Crumlin, Clondalkin and Tallaght. If there's a real divide now, it's East and West.

Historically, I think the dockers lived on the Northside and the more affluent on the South. The Southside having a more prestigious postcode led to Áras an Uachtaráin falling in the more favorable D8 region.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Omackeral wrote: »
    Northside vs Southside steroetypes fall fairly easily when you compare Castleknock, Portmarnock and Malahide to Crumlin, Clondalkin and Tallaght. If there's a real divide, it's East and West.

It stands up ok when you compare just the city centre though, insofar as a stereotype means anything. Obviously it's not going to apply across the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

When the southside discovered that the only airport was on the northside! That, and the GPO, Croker, Santry Stadium, the Phoenix Park, the zoo...

Suck it up, southsiders!

Pherekydes wrote: »
    When the southside discovered that the only airport was on the northside! That, and the GPO, Croker, Santry Stadium, the Phoenix Park, the zoo...

Suck it up, southsiders!

A real coup that one.

Northside vs Southside stereotypes fall fairly easily today when you compare Castleknock, Portmarnock and Malahide to Crumlin, Clondalkin and Tallaght. If there's a real divide now, it's East and West.

Historically, I think the dockers lived on the Northside and the more affluent on the South. The Southside having a more prestigious postcode led to Áras an Uachtaráin falling in the more favorable D8 region.

Yeh and even with the east west thing you have sheriff street areas east and kimainham and castleknock west. Really Dublin is a big mixed bag..theres a very large concentration of wealth in the south east of the city clearly. If I had to say there was a trend Id say along the dart line is the wealthiest part of the city
    Overall its a very majority middle class city, theres hardly any really bad areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I live inside the M50 and yet am neither Northside nor Southside :cool:

I live inside the M50 and yet am neither Northside nor Southside :cool:

Do you live in a houseboat on the Liffey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

A real coup that one.

"But we have Belfield! Or as it's now called, the UCD Cor Pork."

Yep, they win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Since cliched stereotypes were renewed.

So probably around 1591.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It's only been a thing since 1948 - since we started electing northsiders as Taoisigh ;)

Do you live in a houseboat on the Liffey?

Not quite, an island. Sort of.

Even thought the wealth divide isn't that big anymore overall I think the legacy is continuing mostly because people on either side of the city have developed such incredibly different accents on average( I know theres plenty of acceptiions)

I wonder if theres any other place in the world where two sides of a city have developed such starkly different accents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Liberty Boys V Ormond Boys late 18th Century

Oh yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Here in Waterford we talk of little else.

wakka12 wrote: »
    I wonder if theres any other place in the world where two sides of a city have developed such starkly different accents

There's no real such thing as a 'Northside' and 'Southside' accent. A chap from Finglas sounds the same as a chap from Drimnagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Omackeral wrote:
    The Southside having a more prestigious postcode led to Áras an Uachtaráin falling in the more favorable D8 region.
    The reason the Áras is in D8 is that it was served by the James’s St sorting office simply because it was closer/more convenient than Phibsboro sorting office - this was way before postal codes even existed.

When codes were eventually introduced James’s St continued to sort the Áras post so it was deemed to be in Dublin 8.

Nothing to do with prestige!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The 1700s actually.

The northside used to be the posh part.

Mountjoy Square and Henrietta St were the posh areas in particular.

Merrion Square was built in the late 1700s and was seen as a new emerging area but less established than Mountjoy Square.

Then - and sorry for not knowing exact dates - a member of the Anglo Irish gentry married a peripheral member of the British Royal Family around that time; a 'princess' as it were. A celebrity in her day.

She moved to Dublin, and the happy couple chose to live in Merrion Square.

The baromoter of what was fashionable swung across the river.

Ever since then, the nobs live on the Southside and normal people live on the Northside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Neptune House?

The Weir is on the North Side so the "Island" belongs to us! (IE De Nort Side)

grahambo wrote: »
    Neptune House?

The Weir is on the North Side so the "Island" belongs to us! (IE De Nort Side)

Nah Chapelizzer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

frag420 wrote: »
    Ever since they bridged the Liffey...

North side is best side

Nah Chapelizzer

Bridge on the Northside was built first, you still belong to us...

Lucky for you, we're way better than those South Side Tools! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Are parts of Chapelizod on an island? I was not aware of this.

I spent 8 years on the Northside before my ambiguous current location, so I don't need convincing ;)

There's a weir all around the apartment blocks on the bridge. Does that count? I'm counting it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Klinkhammer

The problem isn't really with northsiders and southsiders. Dublin 1 to 24 is fine by me.

However there's something deeply worrying about people from County Dublin, North and South.

River Island clothes shop first started there.....
    That's where is got the name right?

#FakeNews

The problem isn't really with northsiders and southsiders. Dublin 1 to 24 is fine by me.

However there's something deeply worrying about people from County Dublin, North and South.

Dulchies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I spent 8 years on the Northside before my ambiguous current location, so I don't need convincing ;)

There's a weir all around the apartment blocks on the bridge. Does that count? I'm counting it.

Ohhhhh an enclave , no less.
    As a Southside townie who marri..... " what did you fcukin' say ? "

I'll be back in a minute.

There's no real such thing as a 'Northside' and 'Southside' accent. A chap from Finglas sounds the same as a chap from Drimnagh.

Well whatever about the location its odd/funny that two such different accents exist within many parts of the city

• Advertisement

Dublin 1 to 24 is all inner city to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I remember being youngin the early 2000's and a group of Northside lads and a group of Southside lads would have battles on one of the bridges at the liffey. Throwing rocks and such, slagging, fighting...purely because they were on opposite sides of the river. But not one of them ever crossed the middle part of the bridge. Some lads got seriously injured and they deserved it. Retards.

I remember being youngin the early 2000's and a group of Northside lads and a group of Southside lads would have battles on one of the bridges at the liffey. Throwing rocks and such, slagging, fighting...purely because they were on opposite sides of the river. But not one of them ever crossed the middle part of the bridge. Some lads got seriously injured and they deserved it. Retards.

That is so celtic tiger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Granite walls southside, Block walls Northside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Started when we the south side got an actual flushing toilet in every house while the north side shared outhouses between 100 plus people ,
    The crap has been flowing ever since ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Trains pulled the desirable areas to live towards the south-east. Old one family dwelling places on northside became tenements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

North side vs South side of where? Oh yeah I forgot everything is about Dublin and it doesn't even need to be mentioned! Well from my time living in Dublin there are definitely good and bad parts to all areas on either side of the river, sometimes right next to each other. I lived in Kimmage for a while but on the border of Crumlin for example.

You know there is a North side - South side divide in Cork too, not sure how it originated but us southsiders call them norries and rumour has it they put whatever food they have into their sandwiches, chips, whatever is nearby :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Protection to a north sider is a bus shelter

How do you know when a north sider girls orgasms? She drops her chips ... probably at that bus stop

During the 80s what did the south sider say to his boss on loosing his job?
    Ah dad ... give me back my job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's always been a confection generally as there are plenty of nice areas on the northside and rough ones on the south.

It probably comes about from the relative neglect of the north city centre vs the south city centre but even that has changed in recent times.

The best one is when you see somebody, usually culchies, referring to somebody having a 'Northside accent'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

It's always been a confection generally as there are plenty of nice areas on the northside and rough ones on the south.

It probably comes about from the relative neglect of the north city centre vs the south city centre but even that as changed in recent times.

The best one is when you see somebody, usually a culchie, referring to somebody having a 'Northside accent'.

I’m a son of the soil, and it’s not that difficult to differentiate between some gouger from Darndale, and some complete head-the-ball from Tallaght.
    What they do tend to share is this misguided belief that they are a fountain of this mythical creation known as ‘Dublin wit’.

• Advertisement
Advertisement