Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plastic waste gonemad - everybody do one thing now,!

• 19-02-2020 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Xwebstar2.

I'm cutting back totally on milk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Xwebstar2.

Pledge here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

Xwebstar2. wrote: »

Buy cartons of milk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Stop putting bananas in plastic bags, it drives me bananas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Totally back to what ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Totally back to what ?

Skim milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Allinall wrote: »
    Buy cartons of milk.

drink straight from the cow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

It's a bit ridiculous how much plastic is used for everything to be fair. Fruit and veg dont need to be wrapped and bagged in plastic.
    Theres other really good alternatives, recently bought a chocolate bar wrapped in a clear 'plastic' made from wood chippings. I genuinely thought it was real plastic until I read the label, I could literally throw it on the ground or in a compost heap and it would decompose and probably do the soil a bit of good. Theres also a hemp alternative that is really cheap to make. Either of these options, if mass produced, would result in millions of tree and plants being grown for the purpose of making packaging.
    Companies and businesses dont care about producing less plastic unless we stop buying their products that are wrapped and packaged in it.

It's a bit ridiculous how much plastic is used for everything to be fair. Fruit and veg dont need to be wrapped and bagged in plastic.
    Theres other really good alternatives, recently bought a chocolate bar wrapped in a clear 'plastic' made from wood chippings. I genuinely thought it was real plastic until I read the label, I could literally throw it on the ground or in a compost heap and it would decompose and probably do the soil a bit of good. Theres also a hemp alternative that is really cheap to make. Either of these options, if mass produced, would result in millions of tree and plants being grown for the purpose of making packaging.
    Companies and businesses dont care about producing less plastic unless we stop buying their products that are wrapped and packaged in it.
    It's getting worse

The supermarket meat counters are closing and they're packaging mince and pork chops

All this plastic crap is being shipped out to under resourced countries, half of it burnt

Jeff bezos is posting his crap everywhere too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Can you smoke those hemp wrappers? Asking for eh a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

It's just the cool Hipster trend atm, it'll go away shortly. The same with Veganism

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Can you smoke those hemp wrappers? Asking for eh a friend.

Try it and get back to me haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

what gets me is the packaging that says not yet recyclable, one well know supermarket has a load of products with this message written on them. like when is it going to be recyclable? its not good enough in this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Was it 99 or 100% cocao?

pgj2015 wrote: »
    what gets me is the packaging that says not yet recyclable, one well know supermarket has a load of products with this message written on them. like when is it going to be recyclable? its not good enough in this day and age.

When they're forced to make it recyclable

And when are we all going to take responsibility for all the waste and cut back and stop sending all our crap to Malaysia and other backwaters

Was it 99 or 100% cocao?

It was 'milk' chocolate but branded as vegan. I dont think thats any reason to dismiss it. Its a really good alternative to plastic. Just goes to show it can be done.

It was 'milk' chocolate but branded as vegan. I dont think thats any reason to dismiss it. Its a really good alternative to plastic. Just goes to show it can be done.

Think i saw it on a pack of 100% wondering now what yhe brand is and if tis the same stuff

risteard7 wrote: »
    It's just the cool Hipster trend atm, it'll go away shortly. The same with Veganism

You know what will disappear soon? Various species of sealife.

I'm sure you'll have an edgy comment when that happens too.

Think i saw it on a pack of 100% wondering now what yhe brand is and if tis the same stuff

It was galaxy but im sure different brands are doing it.
    it was really nice, id recommend it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

But you won't throw it on the ground but you'll put it in a bin and it will likely be landfilled.

There are a lot of these 'compostable' materials on the market aren't as great as they make out...the time taken to fully decompose. If they end up a composting facility, yeah they can decompose in 3 months. If you drop then on the ground or throw them on a compost heap at home, it will take more than a year.

Biodegradable is largely meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Go back to the source - stop manufacturing non-recyclable plastics !

• Advertisement

The worst example of the nonsense is a hotel café supplying individually-wrapped sugar cubes with a cup of tea or coffee. Madness.

It was galaxy but im sure different brands are doing it.
    it was really nice, id recommend it

Twas this crowd I saw it with first. Looked jist like plastic film

https://vivani.de/en/vivani-en/

But you won't throw it on the ground but you'll put it in a bin and it will likely be landfilled.

There are a lot of these 'compostable' materials on the market aren't as great as they make out...the time taken to fully decompose. If they end up a composting facility, yeah they can decompose in 3 months. If you drop then on the ground or throw them on a compost heap at home, it will take more than a year.

Sure once it isnt 100s of years tis a big improvement. Better still if it doesnt come from crude oil

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Get mine in glass bottles.

I didnt throw it in the bin and thats not the point.. compared to plastic, which will likely never decompose, 3 months to a year decomposition sounds good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

it would go a long way if the governemnt just banned all unneccisery plastic . make it so you have to justify its use.
    i hve no problem using plastic when its required and the best material for its job.
    the problem is unneccisery plastic. . everything is wraped several times for no reason.

look at the drinking straw ban. the straw needs to be durable etc and plastic is a good material for that . it is justified to a point using plastic until we can replace it with something better. cardboard or paper that is being use is just a waste . it doesnt do the job and just ends up a soggy mess. . look at the plastic lid you get on a milkshake or sofdrink that lid doesnt need to be plastic. being plastic is way over kill and unnessisery.
    we need proper control over all packaging not just ban everything

the biggest problem is that it is the consumer who has to dispose of it but has almost no control over it

Sure once it isnt 100s of years tis a big improvement. Better still if it doesnt come from crude oil

Yes and no.

Yes, it's better that it isn't produced from crude oil.
    No, insofar as they will likely end up in a landfill/incinerator anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Why don't we have a return system for plastic and glass like on most of the mainland?

20c a bottle adds up.

I didnt throw it in the bin and thats not the point.. compared to plastic, which will likely never decompose, 3 months to a year decomposition sounds good to me.

The point I was making was that items sold as greener options aren't hugely better in some cases. I have seen materials peddled as compostable but the claims are dubious and is little more than greenwashing.

For example, I don't think cafes should be allowed sell compostable cups or the standard disposable cups. There should be a ban on all of them and they only have reusable cups on sale so you either bring your own or buy a reusable cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

I don't know.... Is there something to be said for recycling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

risteard7 wrote: »

Should you not be commenting on the Journal you f*cking moron?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The worst example of the nonsense is a hotel café supplying individually-wrapped sugar cubes with a cup of tea or coffee. Madness.

I would say it's done for hygiene reasons though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

People can't change if the only thing available to them is plastic, what do you think the ordinary joe/Josephine soap are going to do if they want to stop buying plastic, its virtually impossible to buy a product in the supermarket without some form of packaging, i hate waste but if i need 2 litres of milk, a packet of ham or a sliced pan i have no other option but to buy plastic, change needs to happen at a legislative stage where the government outlaw all unnecessary plastic

AllForIt wrote: »
    I would say it's done for hygiene reasons though.

All of the bajillion other places without individually wrapped sugar cubes manage just fine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Alternatives to plastic usually cost more. So fook that

• Advertisement

People can't change if the only thing available to them is plastic, what do you think the ordinary joe/Josephine soap are going to do if they want to stop buying plastic, its virtually impossible to buy a product in the supermarket without some form of packaging, i hate waste but if i need 2 litres of milk, a packet of ham or a sliced pan i have no other option but to buy plastic, change needs to happen at a legislative stage where the government outlaw all unnecessary plastic

It's bigger than that though, consumers have to take some responsibility. If we all stopped buying convenience foods and prepared lunches at home etc etc we'd use far less plastic, although some of it is unavoidable.
    I think products should have to meet some kind of standards to decide whether they are allowed on the market or not.
    Do we need another energy drink in a plastic bottle on the market? Or do we need sliced apples in plastic?
    The fact people are encouraged to flood the market with rubbish we don't need is part of the problem.
    This won't happen because it goes against economics, but the reality is our lifestyles are about as destructive to the environment as you can get and massive changes would be required to clean up the Earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

All of the bajillion other places without individually wrapped sugar cubes manage just fine though.

The 'hygiene' isn't for the sugar silly lol

AllForIt wrote: »
    The 'hygiene' isn't for the sugar silly lol

I never said it was for anything, silly lol.

I said the places without individually wrapped cubes manage just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Every time I do a blood test I have to open an individually wrapped strip which is made of tinfoil. The strips come in runs of 5 x 10 per pack that 10 is kept together with a very thin plastic sheath which is clearly not recyclable. Oh yes all this is of course packaged inside a cardboard box - so what the feck is the use once plastic for? Why is it there?!

My previous system (now ended) had no such waste.

We seem to be going in the wrong direction despite what we know.

I buy at least 6 x 500ml bottles of water a day.

• Advertisement

Well done. Maybe find a thread on veganism so you can post mmm bacon etc?

One tap is much cheaper.

One tap is much cheaper.

Ah its not breaking the bank. 6 bottles in lodl for 1.30

Why are you buying water at all though?

Why are you buying water at all though?

To drink. Sparkling water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

A lot of plastics that have some sort or coloring can't be recycled for whatever reason. So the facilities need to do more research onto being able to recycle them. And also is weird is the paper straws places like McDonalds offer can't presently be recycled either. That was stated in a company memo.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

it would go a long way if the governemnt just banned all unneccisery plastic . make it so you have to justify its use.
    i hve no problem using plastic when its required and the best material for its job.
    the problem is unneccisery plastic. . everything is wraped several times for no reason.

You're talking waste reduction at source. And yes, that's the only way to go, this idea that consumers can deal with this is nonsense, if everything in the supermarket/cafe comes in plastic the consumer has little choice. Recycling is never going to be as good as, for example, just not putting the bananas in a plastic bag in the first place.

It's been floated once already, didn't get the required support, hopefully this term around or, failing that, the EU will save us from ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Bottles and packets are small.

Look around at the amount of plastic that is BIG:
    every bit of furniture on a train or bus or aeroplane.
    All the flooring.
    All the foam and fabric on all those sofas. All the fittings in kitchens and schools.

Look along the shelves at a large hardware store, W00deez or Ykeyea. Look at the cash registers and displays.
    The clothing and footwear on every member of every crowd, with only a few scraps of wool, cotton and leather holding out for the sake of renewable and bio-degradable.

We're all doomed.
    I've stopped buying stuff. Clothing all second-hand. But I can't stop buying food - not being a farmer, and we have to eat.
    And shoes are a problem.

Rally round, boys, this is about to get very serious very soon.

PS I'm not ignoring the small stuff either, though.
    When I think of ...
    every toothbrush I've ever used.
    Every biro and marker and fountain pen.
    Every comb, every cigarette lighter....every roll-on deodorant bottle...
    all still lying in the dump for centuries to come. Multiply that by the number of citizens in Dublin...
    I just shudder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

When they're forced to make it recyclable

And when are we all going to take responsibility for all the waste and cut back and stop sending all our crap to Malaysia and other backwaters

Some fella was on rte tues nite saying the malaysia stuff wasnt ours, we are recycling the vast majority of our plastic, some here, most in other European facilities.

We should still cut back a lot of course.

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Bottles and packets are small.

People tend to have an issue with 'single use' plastics, rather than plastic in general.

Ikea making their tills out of plastic seems fine with me, as the till will probably last 10 years of regular use before being binned. The same amount of plastic to make the til is probably being put into the bin beside the till every 20 minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement