Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic waste gonemad - everybody do one thing now,!

Options
  • 19-02-2020 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'm cutting back totally on milk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Xwebstar2.

Pledge here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

Xwebstar2. wrote: »

Buy cartons of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Stop putting bananas in plastic bags, it drives me bananas!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Totally back to what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Totally back to what ?

Skim milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Allinall wrote: »
    Buy cartons of milk.

drink straight from the cow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

It's a bit ridiculous how much plastic is used for everything to be fair. Fruit and veg dont need to be wrapped and bagged in plastic.
    Theres other really good alternatives, recently bought a chocolate bar wrapped in a clear 'plastic' made from wood chippings. I genuinely thought it was real plastic until I read the label, I could literally throw it on the ground or in a compost heap and it would decompose and probably do the soil a bit of good. Theres also a hemp alternative that is really cheap to make. Either of these options, if mass produced, would result in millions of tree and plants being grown for the purpose of making packaging.
    Companies and businesses dont care about producing less plastic unless we stop buying their products that are wrapped and packaged in it.

It's a bit ridiculous how much plastic is used for everything to be fair. Fruit and veg dont need to be wrapped and bagged in plastic.
    Theres other really good alternatives, recently bought a chocolate bar wrapped in a clear 'plastic' made from wood chippings. I genuinely thought it was real plastic until I read the label, I could literally throw it on the ground or in a compost heap and it would decompose and probably do the soil a bit of good. Theres also a hemp alternative that is really cheap to make. Either of these options, if mass produced, would result in millions of tree and plants being grown for the purpose of making packaging.
    Companies and businesses dont care about producing less plastic unless we stop buying their products that are wrapped and packaged in it.
    It's getting worse

The supermarket meat counters are closing and they're packaging mince and pork chops

All this plastic crap is being shipped out to under resourced countries, half of it burnt

Jeff bezos is posting his crap everywhere too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Can you smoke those hemp wrappers? Asking for eh a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

It's just the cool Hipster trend atm, it'll go away shortly. The same with Veganism

• Advertisement

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Can you smoke those hemp wrappers? Asking for eh a friend.

Try it and get back to me haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭pgj2015

what gets me is the packaging that says not yet recyclable, one well know supermarket has a load of products with this message written on them. like when is it going to be recyclable? its not good enough in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Was it 99 or 100% cocao?

pgj2015 wrote: »
    what gets me is the packaging that says not yet recyclable, one well know supermarket has a load of products with this message written on them. like when is it going to be recyclable? its not good enough in this day and age.

When they're forced to make it recyclable

And when are we all going to take responsibility for all the waste and cut back and stop sending all our crap to Malaysia and other backwaters

Was it 99 or 100% cocao?

It was 'milk' chocolate but branded as vegan. I dont think thats any reason to dismiss it. Its a really good alternative to plastic. Just goes to show it can be done.

It was 'milk' chocolate but branded as vegan. I dont think thats any reason to dismiss it. Its a really good alternative to plastic. Just goes to show it can be done.

Think i saw it on a pack of 100% wondering now what yhe brand is and if tis the same stuff

risteard7 wrote: »
    It's just the cool Hipster trend atm, it'll go away shortly. The same with Veganism

You know what will disappear soon? Various species of sealife.

I'm sure you'll have an edgy comment when that happens too.

Think i saw it on a pack of 100% wondering now what yhe brand is and if tis the same stuff

It was galaxy but im sure different brands are doing it.
    it was really nice, id recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

But you won't throw it on the ground but you'll put it in a bin and it will likely be landfilled.

There are a lot of these 'compostable' materials on the market aren't as great as they make out...the time taken to fully decompose. If they end up a composting facility, yeah they can decompose in 3 months. If you drop then on the ground or throw them on a compost heap at home, it will take more than a year.

Biodegradable is largely meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Go back to the source - stop manufacturing non-recyclable plastics !

• Advertisement

The worst example of the nonsense is a hotel café supplying individually-wrapped sugar cubes with a cup of tea or coffee. Madness.

It was galaxy but im sure different brands are doing it.
    it was really nice, id recommend it

Twas this crowd I saw it with first. Looked jist like plastic film

https://vivani.de/en/vivani-en/

But you won't throw it on the ground but you'll put it in a bin and it will likely be landfilled.

There are a lot of these 'compostable' materials on the market aren't as great as they make out...the time taken to fully decompose. If they end up a composting facility, yeah they can decompose in 3 months. If you drop then on the ground or throw them on a compost heap at home, it will take more than a year.

Sure once it isnt 100s of years tis a big improvement. Better still if it doesnt come from crude oil

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Get mine in glass bottles.

I didnt throw it in the bin and thats not the point.. compared to plastic, which will likely never decompose, 3 months to a year decomposition sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

it would go a long way if the governemnt just banned all unneccisery plastic . make it so you have to justify its use.
    i hve no problem using plastic when its required and the best material for its job.
    the problem is unneccisery plastic. . everything is wraped several times for no reason.

look at the drinking straw ban. the straw needs to be durable etc and plastic is a good material for that . it is justified to a point using plastic until we can replace it with something better. cardboard or paper that is being use is just a waste . it doesnt do the job and just ends up a soggy mess. . look at the plastic lid you get on a milkshake or sofdrink that lid doesnt need to be plastic. being plastic is way over kill and unnessisery.
    we need proper control over all packaging not just ban everything

the biggest problem is that it is the consumer who has to dispose of it but has almost no control over it

Sure once it isnt 100s of years tis a big improvement. Better still if it doesnt come from crude oil

Yes and no.

Yes, it's better that it isn't produced from crude oil.
    No, insofar as they will likely end up in a landfill/incinerator anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Why don't we have a return system for plastic and glass like on most of the mainland?

20c a bottle adds up.

I didnt throw it in the bin and thats not the point.. compared to plastic, which will likely never decompose, 3 months to a year decomposition sounds good to me.

The point I was making was that items sold as greener options aren't hugely better in some cases. I have seen materials peddled as compostable but the claims are dubious and is little more than greenwashing.

For example, I don't think cafes should be allowed sell compostable cups or the standard disposable cups. There should be a ban on all of them and they only have reusable cups on sale so you either bring your own or buy a reusable cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

I don't know.... Is there something to be said for recycling?

Advertisement