Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Video of the spire collapsing, Terrible.

https://twitter.com/ellievhall/status/1117849348048506882

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ah c'mon, Sky News were slow getting to it, even France 24 had a panel discussing politics while CNN had live coverage.

That’s not really convincing me that RTE is that good but that the others also failed. They used to have breaking news for this kind of this. All you need is two minute. You can use Twitter video.

All this proves that old media is dead. I got the information on twitter. And here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,054 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I visited Notre Dame in 2004. It was magnificent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Has anything so priceless ever been destroyed by fire before?
    Frst one that springs to mind in peacetime is La Fenice theatre in Venice .
    Of course several monuments in Europe went up in flames during WW2.

So sad and shocking to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

hairyslug wrote: »

Sky News were reporting no sign of any fire fighting efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

There would be staff and security in there. Even out of hours.
    The fire must have taken quite a hold before anyone could even start to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,891 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I hope none of those vest morons were blocking the firemen. This is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,203 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

C'est terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Huge drums of water launched from helicopters should be deployed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,417 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Quiet down there Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Water balloon mortars.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,835 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

BFM Tv Paris is great for breaking news. OK, if you understand French I suppose! Good visuals also. Well they are on the ground so to speak.

https://www.bfmtv.com/mediaplayer/live-bfm-paris/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

That's an inferno.

Hope no one was hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,350 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's no saving it from the fire is what I was implying. I think a lot of the construction is wooden too.

The roof is wooden so that's fecked. There doesn't seem to be much sign of the fire being slowed down. I realise the height of the building would mean it's not the easiest place to get up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭thomil

gozunda wrote: »

There’s probably a security cordon in place to keep people well back, in case the structure itself collapses. The last thing firefighters need is journalists poking around.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Are you proud of that?

You would be best off to ignore the yob, immature comment to which you responded. It comes from the same Taliban mindset that destroyed priceless ancient Buddhist monuments in Afghanistan. Most of them grow out of it after short pants,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

No deaths - Sky news

It looks like the back part that is buttressed is worst hit. Looks like the two iconic towers are still standing. I know the spire is gone, but so far there are no reports of deaths or injuries, thankfully.

Seems to be taking the Fire Service some time to get going. Probably for safety reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭thomil

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The roof is wooden so that's fecked. There doesn't seem to be much sign of the fire being slowed down. I realise the height of the building would mean it's not the easiest place to get up to.

The on-scene commander would probably also not send firefighters into the building. An out-of-control fire in a wooden-roofed structure would be a potential death trap, and when there’s no casualties in the building, it’s easier to let it burn, as heartbreaking as it may be.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There is a lot of symbolism here i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

gozunda wrote: »

I hope someone called the fire brigade.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

As a mosque

Didn't take long.

thomil wrote: »
    The on-scene commander would probably also not send firefighters into the building. An out-of-control fire in a wooden-roofed structure would be a potential death trap, and when there’s no casualties in the building, it’s easier to let it burn, as heartbreaking as it may be.

Just saw about six firefighters up in one of the towers trying to do something. Brave people when everything around them is collapsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

thomil wrote: »

There are firefighters on the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,350 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There is a lot of symbolism here i think.
    Symbolism of what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

All sorts of rumours on Twitter

I fear for France if those rumours are true.

We need to take a deep breath and wait for the truth to emerge on this.

• Advertisement

The spire was 19th century according to the bbc. So not quite as old as the rest of the building but still devastating- I hope the interior can be saved now. Firefighters inside trying to save as many artifacts as they can at present

Advertisement