Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you're flying from Dublin Airport with the family, Boots do the cheap meal deal with sandwiches, drinks, snacks etc. much cheaper than eating food bought on the plane.

Many Nordic airports are very child friendly. Oslo Airport has several small playgrounds near the departure gates, a fantastic way to occupy the kids, especially if transiting. It's also standard to allow families with buggies through the "business" channel at no extra cost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Some additional tips and apologies if covered already.

Invest in good noise cancelling headphones. I use Bose and they cost me €350. Worth every euro.

Always queue on the left. Most people instinctively go to the right so the left most queue could be shorter.

Have everything easily accessible in your hand luggage. Passport, tickets, toiletries etc. Try invest in light weight hand luggage that offers easy access to stuff like this.

Where possible use the airline's app for boarding passes, no more worrying out printed tickets.

Charge your phones and devices before you get to the airport! I also have a portable charger block. It's half the size of a pack of cigarettes and has come in handy on long flights where there are no power outlets.

If you are a nervous flier book a seat on the middle section of the plane, over the wing. Turbulence is less pronounced here. Also tell the crew if you are a nervous flier. Most airlines are trained to help nervous passengers.

Avoid too much alcohol before the flight. It can seem like a stupid to thing to suggest if you're going on holiday. The effects of alcohol is more heightened when flying. You'll dehydrate quicker and possible get drunk and hungover within a period of a few hours.

If flying long haul put a change of clothes in your hand luggage.

If bringing checked in luggage and travelling with family. Don't assign a suitcase per person. Distribute the belongings across all suitcases so if bags go missing you won't be stuck.

Bring your own drinking water onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

Great suggestions by dudara and on how to generally be a decent person while travelling. I absolutely hate how people like to stand around in huge groups blocking the way for people rushing to get to their gate in time, or same on the escalators.
    I fly to the states a lot. most of the flights are in the a.m. most people recline their seats to be more comfortable or to sleep so I don't agree with the post about only reclining your seat on an over night flight!

I'm with you on this one though, as I like to snooze and I expect the same from the person in from on me too. Main thing to me is to be considerate enough to pull up your seat when they're serving food and drinks and wait til they've collected them before reclining again; not all attendants ask passengers to put their seats upright when serving food.

Personally I don't drink too much before short flights, so don't need to get up for the bathrooms on the plane. On the other hand for long-haul flights, it's important not to get dehydrated and you're bound to need the loo at some point anyway, so drink plenty before and during those flights.

When you only have hand-luggage and you think it could be taken off you during boarding because there's no more room, always have a folded light shopper bag bag handy to throw in your in-flight essentials and valuables to bring on-board before handing over your bag.

Look-up any transfer terminal numbers/locations and route before you go if you've a short connection time. There is also lots of info on good resting areas in different large airports, or where to charge your devices if you've to wait around.

To get through the security area quicker, it's good to wear comfortable slip-on shoes. Playing around with shoe-laces is a pain if they ask you to take off your shoes. Most airports now ask to have tablets and kindles out as well as laptops, so it's good to have them handy. Belts and coats/jackets go through the scanner too. Always end up getting delayed by someone having to go back and take off a belt... :rolleyes:

I also collect convenient toiletries bottles in hotels and reuse them as travel liquid bottles with own shampoo, conditioner, etc.. Much cheaper than buying clear plastic bottles in boots and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,832 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Good thread alright..

These days I find myself getting into 'airport mode' before I have even left the house. I travel frequently for work and pleasure and what helps me from the get go is my mini 5 point checklist in my head to make sure I don't leave the house without my essentials that I can't afford to leave behind really...
    1. Passport
    2. Wallet
    3. Phone /Charger
    4. Tablet
    5. Company ID (If its work)

I try and make the security screening process as efficient as I can for myself and in turn for those also in the Q. Nothing worse then being stuck behind the hen party with bags of cosmetics over the limit, wearing boots which have to come off and more jewelry then Mr. T. Or anyone else unprepared for that matter. In order to make it easy again..
    1. No coins or metal in trouser pockets before Qing
    2. Phone and anything metal, wallet etc in coat pocket
    3. Toiletry bag in front pocket of case or bag so don't have to go rumaging
    4. Belt removed in the Q
    5. Scan each Q briefly to avoid the likes of hen parties, the elderly or big groups of school kids etc or anyone who might hold up the process and delay you getting to the bar :D

How not to be a dick... My biggest bug bear as previously mentioned is people who at the airport.. (you know a big place with lots of other people trying to get from A-B) have no conception or awareness of anyone else around them and will stop at the end of or the beginning of escalators or generally block up the place.

On the aircraft don't...
    1. Take an age to board and stow your bags. The announcement to get boarded and step in from the aisle and sit down applies to you !
    2. Don't hog the armrest between seats.
    3. Don't kick the seat in front of you.
    4. Don't block the aisle when the cabin crew are doing the meal service and look at them like they are the problem.
    4. Enjoy your flight and have a drink but don't treat it like your living room. Not everyone want's to be exposed to your lack of breeding and manners and some of us might want to relax or sleep.
    4. Don't clap when the plane lads (people who do this should be caned)
    5. Don't stand in the aisle talking or waiting for your friends who are seated elsewhere when people are trying to get off.
    6. If you were last on and had to stow your carry on in a bin far away from your seat, see point 5 and instead of barreling your way back past people, just ****in wait or get on board earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Adding to the list,

*DO NOT push past people when they are removing their bag from the overhead locker, if urgent ask politely. Have seen bags fall down ontop of people before, and at that its extremely rude anyway.

*Don't be the eejit who decides to put their jackets and back sacks in the overhead lockers, especially on Ryanair.

Also, I don't have an issue with clapping on holiday flights. Maybe on a red eye I would, but come on it's not that annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Also, I don't have an issue with clapping on holiday flights. Maybe on a red eye I would, but come on it's not that annoying.

Its the most annoying thing that can happen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

salmocab wrote: »
    Its the most annoying thing that can happen

Why? With the fear of flying so widespread among people, they are often glad to arrive at their destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heraldo

If you're one of the unlucky ones who get their hand luggage tagged at a Ryanair gate to be put into the hold, don't forget to remove your passport. Happened a mate of mine who had a seriously long discussion at an immigration desk before they let him through to pick up his bag and escape!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The only thing I can add at the moment is that I put all chargers, adaptor plugs,battery packs, etc. into a ziplock bag for security screening. So I usually have two, one for the liquids and the other for the electrical stuff. Very handy as everything I need for the phone, ipad etc. is all in one place.

As an aside, upthread a poster said that all gates in T1 are shown in T2 and vice versa, now why are all gates for the relevant Terminal not shown there!. There must be a reason (maybe for security or something like in Malaga airport where the gates are only shown about an hour before departure). But surely if they are shown in one, why not the other?

heraldo wrote: »
    If you're one of the unlucky ones who get their hand luggage tagged at a Ryanair gate to be put into the hold, don't forget to remove your passport. Happened a mate of mine who had a seriously long discussion at an immigration desk before they let him through to pick up his bag and escape!!

You can be distracted all right when they suddenly take the wheelie away!

But seriously everyone male or female is allowed a second bag now, so a small backpack is absolutely essential for liquids, electrical stuff, wallet/purse, medication and yes....PASSPORTS!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

If you are using an app for your boarding pass, screenshot the boarding pass just in case you can't get a data connection. I also WhatsApp it to everyone in my traveling party in case anything happens with my phone.

Oh and have your screen brightness up fully as some of the scanners have difficulty with dim screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I think it is to keep people around the main shops longer.

No basis on this,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

I upload my passport, boarding pass and driver license to Dropbox, just in case i lost phone, passport or license. It will do no harm.
    I also dress where i don't have any metal on me, so basically, trackie bottoms, top, jumper and runners (look like a sham but im not the one stripping in from on security :) ) so i fly through no hassle at all
    Get few of your fav snacks in shops before boarding, especially if your sitting in middle of plane as they tend to start at the ends first and the middle last and one time i was really craving cheese and onion pringles, when they got to me, all gone .... :( so i buy before i board.
    Only other thing i can think of is to relax and don't rush. Leave early cause well, sh** happens. :)

superg wrote: »
    If you are using an app for your boarding pass, screenshot the boarding pass just in case you can't get a data connection. I also WhatsApp it to everyone in my traveling party in case anything happens with my phone.

Oh and have your screen brightness up fully as some of the scanners have difficulty with dim screens.

I always print the boarding pass. We were stuck in Malaga during the ATC strike recently, and the hotel needed to photocopy our boarding passes to let us check in, presumably to reclaim the money from the airline.

Anyway there were others in the same situation staying at the hotel, and there was no way for love nor money that reception could get the app passes copied. They were there for ages, while we sauntered up to our rooms!

Now I do realise that this situation was somewhat unusual, so I am not saying it's the norm. But I always like to have a paper copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I have a checklist saved in MS Word and amend it trip by trip. I have it broken down into categories liked for documents, medical (inhalers, blood pressure meds) and electronics/gadgets so yes you bring your camera but don't forget charger. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I fly to the states a lot. most of the flights are in the a.m. most people recline their seats to be more comfortable or to sleep so I don't agree with the post about only reclining your seat on an over night flight!

I travel to the US a lot for work also, and on the outbound leg I like to work. But if the person in front reclines, it makes it hard very use to use my laptop comfortably, which stops me from working for 5-6 hrs.

If travelling Ryanair, take note of which door to use. ie, front or rear and use the recommended one.

If travelling Ryanair, take note of which door to use. ie, front or rear and use the recommended one.

That's a good one. How many times do you see people who are supposed to sit in row 32 or whatever board using the front steps and end up holding up half of the people on the aircraft from getting to their seat... Happens way to often.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I totally agree about the clapping when a plane lands. It is so cringeworthy and annoying. Please do not be one of one people. You can show your gratitude instead to the cabin crew on departure of the aircraft.

I would also say it is flight etiquette to always leave people sitting in the rows in front of you disembark first instead of barging past everyone once the doors open. If you really want to get off the plane first, book a seat in the first row.

I also swear by priority boarding. Yes, some may think it is a costly extra but I think with low cost airlines like Ryanair it is so worth it.
    You are guaranteed cabin space for your bag, eliminates queuing and it just makes the entire flight experience so much more pleasant.

Mr rebel wrote: »
    I totally agree about the clapping when a plane lands. It is so cringeworthy and annoying. Please do not be one of one people. You can show your gratitude instead to the cabin crew on departure of the aircraft.

I would also say it is flight etiquette to always leave people sitting in the rows in front of you disembark first instead of barging past everyone once the doors open. If you really want to get off the plane first, book a seat in the first row.

I also swear by priority boarding. Yes, some may think it is a costly extra but I think with low cost airlines like Ryanair it is so worth it.
    You are guaranteed cabin space for your bag, eliminates queuing and it just makes the entire flight experience so much more pleasant.

Eh, I also am a fan of priority boarding. But at some airports it's a disaster to identify the queues for each selection.

Anyway, there is NO guarantee that bags will be put in the overhead bins with Priority either.

Long boring story involving "entitled" passengers made me sceptical. I just rolled my eyes though but insisted my bags go overhead. Cabin crew were great and it's all about your attitude really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

That's interesting, I assumed priority included guaranteed space in the overhead bin. Maybe it is because every time I have travelled and been approached by the yellow sticker crew at the gate, they skip over me once they see I have a priority pass. Now watch me have to send my bag in the hold next time:o

Mr rebel wrote: »
    That's interesting, I assumed priority included guaranteed space in the overhead bin. Maybe it is because every time I have travelled and been approached by the yellow sticker crew at the gate, they skip over me once they see I have a priority pass. Now watch me have to send my bag in the hold next time:o

You don't have to check your bag on when they ask. I always say that as I'm caught for time the other side, to catch a train, that it doesn't suit me and they never push it.

You don't have to check your bag on when they ask. I always say that as I'm caught for time the other side, to catch a train, that it doesn't suit me and they never push it.

I just tell them I have €10m worth of diamonds in my bag and prefer to keep it with me.

I always use electronic boarding passes but also have Kindle reader on my phone as I like to read on the plane. So I have a small portable charger in my hand luggage. Remember to make sure the portable charger is charged up.

Always have a look at the Dublin Airport Parking thread before booking your parking. On the bus to the terminal, send yourself a text with the row number you are parked in.

I have a mental checklist of Passport, Phone including ticket, Wallet, Medication and Laptop. Anything else I might forget is not worth worrying about. My wife on the other hand is so worried about her toothbrush and perfume, she could easily forget her passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I always print the boarding pass. We were stuck in Malaga during the ATC strike recently, and the hotel needed to photocopy our boarding passes to let us check in, presumably to reclaim the money from the airline.

Anyway there were others in the same situation staying at the hotel, and there was no way for love nor money that reception could get the app passes copied. They were there for ages, while we sauntered up to our rooms!

Now I do realise that this situation was somewhat unusual, so I am not saying it's the norm. But I always like to have a paper copy.

It is but you can still download your boarding pass the usual way too and have it saved on your phone. Quick email to the hotel with the boarding pass attached and they can print it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭lc180

Great thread and pretty much every tip I know has been mentioned already. Except for one very very important one......

I make sure to have a good aul poo before I get on a plane :pac:
    It makes for a more comfortable flight for everyone on board if you don't need to do your business mid flight in the ventilation traps that are aeroplane toilets!

Plus - nobody wants another repeat of this shi*storm situation : http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/31908620/ba-flight-forced-to-land-early-because-of-smelly-poo

Apologies for changing the tone of the thread, but it had to be said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Don't dig your knees into the seat in front of you. It's annoying and MUST be uncomfortable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Check you have taken all your belongings from the overhead lockers when you leave. There are usually small convex mirrors fitted so you can look to check.

I once flew from Brisbane to Dublin and had bought some Duty Free on departure (A litre of very good Rum) When we arrived in Dublin I waited to be the last to depart. Collected my on-board luggage and the duty free plastic bag. After I had collected my luggage at the carousel I was going to exit and thought I would try to put the rum in my hand luggage. Surprise surprise my rum was already in there. In the plastic bag was a litre of whisky, admittedly only Johnnie Walker, but still a bonus.

Good one again. If you are polite and say that you have something in your carry on that is fragile and would rather it not go in the hold they will let you take it into the cabin. Maybe unless you are one of the last to board. I've done that a couple of times no hassle. Maybe a bit of a blag and half truth but hey...

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭gerardk55

For long haul flights as mentioned noise cancelling headphones are well worth the investment.
    Also if you have a stopover, a shower and change of clothes will breath new life into the weariest of bodies.
    Travel light, pack any unnecessary chargers, books, documents etc into check-in, can really reduce the weight of laptop bags etc.
    Try to put any change/keys etc into laptop/carry-on bags to speed up transit through security.
    For long haul flights, bring some snacks, i.e. Jellies/Nuts/Protien Bars etc, guaranteed if you sleep you'll miss a meal and it will keep the hanger at bay till the next meal service.
    If you have a long haul flight coming up, avoid the cinema for a few months, nothing worse than being on a 13hr flight with only movies you've seen being shown. Also you need to consider the return leg too.
    Relax, pretty much everything from the moment you step into the airport is outside your control so just go with it.
    Most important things is to be nice to staff from Check-In right through to the leaving the airport at the other end, no matter the time of day/night or duration of your flight. I'm a huge believer of airport karma and nobody gets a free upgrade by being a d*ck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

If you have genuine mobility issues, do not attempt to tough it out. You will only cause delays and aggravation to yourself and anyone traveling on your flight. Call your airline AND the airport and make sure assistance will be available to you. I've had to call for assistance when ill, when I accidentally twisted my ankle while on a business trip, after major surgery.

If you have things in your carry-on luggage that might cause a fuss in security and hold up the line, declare you have them even if they are embarrassing. "I have a small shaker of baby powder, a plastic jar of xylitol because I'm a diabetic and I have a bad reaction to sucralose, and a sex toy with the batteries packed separately". Sorry if TMI, but saying that flatly with a bored expression earned me the respect of security staff at busy Houston Intercontinental on my way to meet my fiance in Scotland to get married. A few quick swabs later to make sure the white powders were what I said they were and the vibrator wasn't a bomb, and I was through in hardly more than the usual time.

If you are in an airport in a civilized country, you are in civilization. Don't be like the poor women I met in Heathrow once who were panicking because their flight was delayed. Ask airport or airline staff and whatever it is will get sorted.

Advertisement