Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Launch Flat-Rate Internet Package

Options
  • 05-09-2002 11:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't had time to look into the details. I'll leave it to you guys...
    UTV Internet today launched voice and internet services to Irish consumers, becoming the only Internet Service Provider to currently offer flat rate access. The new services will be available throughout Ireland. They will provide consumers with savings of 25% on eircom call rates for local, national and international voice calls and off peak internet access (evenings and weekends) for a flat rate of €29.99 per month.

Further details of the newly launched services are now available at UTV Internet’s website, www.utvip.com, by telephoning 1890 926 000 or by emailing info@utvip.com
    adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Just got an email from UTV internet. for €29.99 pm free off peak (6pm - 8am and all weekend) internet access. Go to

UTV Flat Rate

Wahhoooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!

(mod edit: as the first post in the merged thread, just cleaning up the link (and emphasising a little))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 andreio

THEY FINALLY DID IT!!!!!
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

UTV Internet today launched voice and internet services to Irish consumers, becoming the only Internet Service Provider to currently offer flat rate access. The new services will be available throughout Ireland. They will provide consumers with savings of 25% on eircom call rates for local, national and international voice calls and off peak internet access (evenings and weekends) for a flat rate of €29.99 per month.

Further details of the newly launched services are now available at UTV Internet’s website, www.utvip.com, by telephoning 1890 926 000 or by emailing info@utvip.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Just got that mail too. Wooohoo!

Seems to be all happening now...

Flat rate unlimited access off peak access... 29.99 a month

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Right, couple of things to get started. I notice a "UTVi" handle browsing the boards at the moment, feel free to step in if I get anything wrong:

First of all, there's a bundled telephony service. This means you'll have to take CPS too. Not such a bad thing in my view, it's less money going to Eircom when you get right down to it.

Secondly, yes, you can do ISDN. It seems to be single channel only though.

Thirdly, here's the important one:
    11. Capacity

The Service has a finite capacity and we reserve the right to terminate any use of the Service which we consider profligate or to the detriment of our other customers. Profligate use shall be deemed to be in excess of 150 hours per month off-peak, with no restriction on peak usage. We hope to raise this limit in the near future.

For customers own protection there is a maximum session length of 2 hours and an idle timeout of 5 minutes. You may reconnect straight away if disconnected by either the session length or idle timeout.

UTV Internet would not expect to prevent you from staying on line, however if a single or group of customers' usage prevents other customers from using UTV Internet's network then UTV Internet may need to intervene. If you want a continuous always-on service from UTV Internet, you would be advised to lease a private circuit.
    Fair enough, yeah?

Go UTV! Screw Eircom, screw Esat. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Took this from their FAQ...

Can I stay connected all the time?

A: This is not an ‘always on’ service. We have worked very hard to deliver a service that allows users to have a predictable monthly fee. Our own cost structure means that we meet the costs of your usage on a per minute basis. We’ve modelled this service to accommodate even the heaviest of Internet usage but cannot sustain use on an ‘always on’ basis. While on traditional services average Internet use is around 12 hours per month, UTVip will support usage of up to 150 hours off-peak use monthly. That’s around 5 hours per day, 5 days per week. We may raise or lower this monthly limit, but are confident that this will meet more than 99% of users usage requirements. We hope to raise this limit in the near future.

• Advertisement

mmm 1 phone call to UTV later the following terms apply...

150 hours max usage per month... use it more than that and your bumbed same as esat did :mad:

Also 3 month min contract and then 1 month termination notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭mofu

yes, just what I need. Can u guys give me some help.
    I am currently using eircom, so do I have to change to utv for my phone bill? If so how much is it?

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

Adam,

nuts you beat me to it, I was just about to announce the product on behalf of the committee (Dannger is at the press conference announcing the product) ... :p

Should send Eircom and ESAT a nice little wake up call, will be interesting to see what the take up will be like. Time to vote with your feet lads, get out there and show your consumer power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

Right, couple of things to get started. I notice a "UTVi" handle browsing the boards at the moment, feel free to step in if I get anything wrong:

Okey dokey
    First of all, there's a bundled telephony service. This means you'll have to take CPS too. Not such a bad thing in my view, it's less money going to Eircom when you get right down to it.

All correct - on the above issue, you are right in that we can only allow a single channel to be connected at any one time. Obviously there is a lot more info on this product and we'll do our best to cover any questions on this forum....but meanwhile check out www.utvip.com for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Not to mention being disconnected every 2 hours :(

Not a big deal for home surfers (who wont be using more than 150 hours a month anyway) but I cant imagine many gamers going for this service.

Sure some online RTS games go on for longer than that!

Grand deal for anyone else though.

• Advertisement

A: This is not an ‘always on’ service. We have worked very hard to deliver a service that allows users to have a predictable monthly fee. Our own cost structure means that we meet the costs of your usage on a per minute basis. We’ve modelled this service to accommodate even the heaviest of Internet usage but cannot sustain use on an ‘always on’ basis. While on traditional services average Internet use is around 12 hours per month, UTVip will support usage of up to 150 hours off-peak use monthly. That’s around 5 hours per day, 5 days per week. We may raise or lower this monthly limit, but are confident that this will meet more than 99% of users usage requirements. We hope to raise this limit in the near future.

We still do not have access to a proper FRIACO modeled product in the ROI, so that is why this "limit" is in place. Obviously we'd love to have no limit (although this in itself is impractical as most UK ISP's implement some sort of profligate use clause), but I think we'd be waiting too long on Eircom to implement 1892/1893 models for us to take advantage of :-(

From what I read this service is being provided without a wholesale FRIACO product being provided by the incumbant operator, I can only assume/hope that UTV Internet have taken steps to ensure it doesn't go the same way as the much lamented 'No Limit's from ESAT BT.

Thanks for posting Martin. I'm sure there'll be lots of questions during the day, we'd appreciate it if you'd drop in now and then and answer anything outstanding.

Thanks again,
    adam

150 hours max usage per month... use it more than that and your bumbed same as esat did

We will be constantly looking at this limit over the course of time. Until we have a FRIACO product/model available from Eircom we have to implement some sort of threshold as we're being billed for every minute you use. We could offer 24/7 access at €400 per month.....but obviously nobodies going to go for that :(
    Not to mention being disconnected every 2 hours

Again this is something we'll look at whilst the service is running and adjust accordingly.

Well we could look at it this way....

150 hours for €29.99 - UTV
    90 hours for €35.00 - ESAT
    150 hours for €83.16 - Eircon

Also UTV's website says they will be able to offer broadband to the republic soon...

From what I read this service is being provided without a wholesale FRIACO product being provided by the incumbant operator, I can only assume/hope that UTV Internet have taken steps to ensure it doesn't go the same way as the much lamented 'No Limit's from ESAT BT.

Indeed we have. And hopefully this will put the pressure on the incumbent to provide us (and yourselves) with a viable FRIACO model.

mofu,

www.utvinternet.ie explains all ...
    I am currently using eircom, so do I have to change to utv for my phone bill? If so how much is it?

You keep your Eircom line, so you keep paying your bi-monthily line rental to Eircom. Then you pay 30e to UTVInternet who give you flat-rate offpeak internet and cheaper phone calls. So your monthly standing charges go up, but your calls costs, particularily for internet go way down ...

Do you think there would be any chance of an Eircon representative dropping in to answer 1 or 2 questions :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

This is good news. At last, users who were kicked off nolimits have a comparable product to switch to. Well done UTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Me mate sez to me...that..

Apparently it will be branded as Eircom Low-Cost or some such marketing crap. It will be an off peak only product.

The CD's will be ready by October and Dell will ship with every home PC between 1/10/02 and 31/12/02.

The Eircom 'Free' CD's will not be widely available from 01/10/02

Active Promotion of Eircom 'Free' to stop from 30/09/02, but it will continue to work.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Interesting that UTV internet have an online signup feature (while alot of our ESAT forms are still in the mail!).

Thats gonna cost ESAT....

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Sweet 64k isdn access aswell
    ubersweet :D

It's also important to point out that 150 hours a month is average /five hours a day/. That's a fair whack of connection time, especially when you're limited to off-peak hours (for the core product).

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Well done to UTV Internet: Good product, good timing and reasonable T&Cs.

You've already got my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

As mentioned above, it is not your fault that you have to implement a 150 hour 'limit' - that's fine.

However can you really shout out at the top of the website offering "Unlimited off-peak internet access for just €29.99 per month!" ? Surely its a 150hr package and not "unlimited" at all?

Just would not like to see innocent customers 'fooled'. :) Otherwise, good job, hope to see real FRIACO soon :)

[edit: had the UK price]

• Registered Users Posts: 55,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Time for some thread merging, mods ??

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭frea

This isnt exactly "UNLIMITED" (see below), however it is a step in the right direction.

SOURCE: ( http://www.utvip.com/ans.asp?id=318&type=cat&category=utvipsouth )

Q: Can I stay connected all the time?

It's also important to point out that 150 hours a month is average /five hours a day/. That's a fair whack of connection time, especially when you're limited to off-peak hours (for the core product).

Also don't forget that your cost during the day (peak) will be 25% less than Eircom's standard rate (3.8c).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

ps - merge the three threads please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Gerry

I suppose that since most people don't use near that amount, its probably a reasonable enough thing to say.

Advertisement