Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy photographic equipment and consumables

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Can we modify the links on the initial post? ny-camera.com have been shut down and are under investigation for white collar crime.

Also donncha ends nearly all his recommendation posts with "Don't buy from 7dayshop", can we get rid of them too?

Technikdirekt.de and ac-foto.com should be up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

maybe just clean it up. Just have it as a single post, like in computers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Flipflip

My advice would be to make a list, sticky it. Lock the thread, and if people wanna suggest somewhere they can PM the mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

dubtom wrote:
    I've just found this Forum, I'd would never buy new equipment in Ireland, it's basically a rip off. I buy from www.ac-foto.de. I have not found cheaper prices anywhere in Europe on the net. I recently bought Canon D20 for 1200 odd euro's. They actually included the 18-55 lens for free because they had a deal going that I didn't spot.A plus for me is that they deliver COD, but their delivery is usually about 40 euro, so cheaper to buy in bulk rather than a one off purchase.

Hi,

I am considering a purchase of some new lenses for my EOS 20d. I have specific interest in Canon EF-S 17-85/4.0-5.6 IS USM price is USD500 at BH photo, Eur 700 in Gunns on WExfod street and Eur 450 at www.ac-foto.com.

I really like the guys in Gunns but at these prices they are not at the races (most likely due to their suppliers prices).

My dilemma - I know BH and they are damn good, but the is a risk of getting caught at customs. (Anyone know the current rate ?? VAT is 21% but what other charges ???).

I never did business with AC-Foto. Their prices seem really reasonable. Anybody done business with them ? Opinions on the experience ??

Thanks

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

Hi,

Just some additional thoughts on buying from B&H in New York v Europe v Ireland. I'm all for supporting local business but sadly Canon are not and as a consequence Irish vendors are given no chance -

Take Canon 17-85mm IS zoom -

Gunns price - €700

www.ac-foto.com - €480 incl shipping

B&H photo price - €460 incl shipping, however lets assume you get nabbed then the price becomes approx €591 with duty and VAT unless of course you happen to be in New York then the price (with NY state sales tax) is - €461

Not necesserily always true but in this case no contest for me ... for the extra few bob better to buy from Germany if you can stand their backwardness on payment methods that is ...

It is sad really ... I like the guys at Gunns ... and would prefer to buy from them where possible ... the real problem is Canon and the middlemen importers ... greedy little rip off merchants that they are !! ... another example of rip off Ireland for big Ed ...

Cheers,

Simon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

HI

It seems that if you buy in person from New York there is sales tax of 8% or thereabouts, but if you buy from another state and have shipped to a New York address (for example if you are there on holiday) then you will not have to pay state taxes. Has anyone tried this? (although hard to know if safe to trust hotel staff!).

Secondly, does anyone have any real idea about liklihood of getting stopped by customs if importing a camera and or lens from USA?

Thanks

Smokey

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

I'd say it depends on what is on the sticker on the box.
    I just got a lens from the states through ebay, and the guy put happy birthday on the information part. So nothing went wrong.

But last year I bought a guitar pedal from a proper shop and got caught for about 25% VAT and import tax.

Depends on who you're buying from I guess?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I would have to agree with Halenger www.amazon.co.uk are pretty cheap for some stuff, I got my EOS 350d for €740 of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Knockieranlady

A great site I use is on e-bay,
    http://stores.ebay.ie/le-matin24-de
    The shop is in Germany but the prices and quality are fab, they do Epson and Canon paper in all sizes, and their own brand is excellent also. Delivery is by courier, additional purchases are only charged at an extra 50c per item. Delivery usually received two days. All prices are in Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

After extensive googling I can't find any contact detials for Gunnes. If anyone has the number can they post it or pm me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Gunnes, or Gunns are in the phonebook I think. They are on Wexford St.

They are not in the golden pages and I don't have a Dublin phonebook. Anyone got the number? Googling only brings up pages that mention them, but no snif of a number.

Found this near the top of a Google search. The number is there. 01-4781226

cheers bigears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

http://www.photobox.ie

Irish company that I have used recently. You upload your shots and they post you the photos. I found it very good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Borderfox wrote:
    I would have to agree with Halenger www.amazon.co.uk are pretty cheap for some stuff, I got my EOS 350d for €740 of them :)

I notice that Amazon.co.uk don't seem to be sending electronics and photo stuff to Ireland anymore.

:(

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

I notice that Amazon.co.uk don't seem to be sending electronics and photo stuff to Ireland anymore.

:(
    Yea - I just noticed that as well.... From their help page:

Electronics & Photo and Home & Garden items

* Amazon.co.uk and Marketplace: United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales) only.

What a total PITA - The Irish retailers probably ganged up on them and told them to stop selling us cheap stuff, as they were busy trying to corner the market at double the price.

EU me arse. What does the "U" stand for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 el capitaine

Got a price for a Canon 30D with a lens for €1299 in a shop in dublin, is this good? want to buy in dublin but is this a dramatic difference with any offers people may have seen on the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

With the Canon 18-55 lens, 30D in technikdirekt.com is E1212, ac-foto.com is E1242 and pixmania.com is E1406, all without postage. If you can get that price in a shop in Dublin, you've got a very good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭TheGreatest

Just wanted to add THIS. He gives good discount if you avoid ebay and paypal and items are usually sent from Scotland so there is no tax & duty

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ciaranhickey

Recently purchased from kea-photo - an e-bay store.
    Would highly recommend it. Sells brand new equipment & it's run by two Canadians based in Hong-Kong.

They are extremely helpful and efficient. My Lens arrived within 3 days, complete with full Canon warranty.
    Much cheaper than any shop in Dublin and cheaper than pixmania/jessops.
    If you don't see what you want in stock, Email them and they'll help.

They have a small range now but I'm sure they'll increase in size.

http://stores.ebay.ie/Kea-Photo

Cheapest I've seen around for new equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭digitalbeginner

stonecold wrote:
    a section on training providers would be v.handy
    I run a Digital Photography School for Beginners and Improvers in Dublin. Our courses are available as 8 week night courses or weekend courses.

We are currently looking at running our weekend courses around the country.

The web site is http://www.digitalbeginners.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Originally Posited by _Ciaran

Recently purchased from kea-photo - an e-bay store.

And where did you find out about them me wonders? My bad for not linking to them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I use this crowd in Hong Kong for my gear.
    http://stores.ebay.ie/UR-Galaxy-Ltd-Photo-Electronics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭antifuse

Those of you buying stuff from Hong Kong ebay sellers - have you actually tried to use your warranty? I've had manufacturers in the past refuse to honour their warranties because I bought from "grey market" dealers (ie not official resellers). That scares me a lot - right now I'm looking at buying a Nikon D50 with the 18-70mm D70 lens, and I'm thinking I'm likely just going to buy from Jessops online (since they don't offer that package in-store, and their online prices are cheaper than in-store as well). Although I will probably check out Gunne's as well, since everybody here seems to rave about them so much (and I would much prefer to avoid having to deal with shipping hassle, too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

all my stuff was bought in the city centre ,but after talking to lads here on boards I wreckon i'd buy canon original on the net.

At the end of the day ,don't really want to have to use a guarantee ,12 months is not that long anyways.

brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭antifuse

Well, you don't want to have to use the guarantee, but at the same time I don't want to have to pay out 300 euro to fix my camera if something breaks within the first year, either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭mtracey

new irish forum site.

www.photographyireland.net

a mate has just this week set it up to go with his photo hobby.

later dudes and dudettes

Advertisement