Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Getting closer now to buying the place. Still a bit of a nuisance with boundary issues and how the estate is split up on the seller's side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

We are now nearly 6 mos waiting to complete. It’s really starting to annoy me. The executer took nearly 4 mos to send over initial contracts & notwithstanding covid-19 complications we also needed 2 queries regarding clauses clarified one being a VAT questionnaire that was sent to the executer 3 weeks ago. This is for a vacant site that was on the market for nearly 3 mos before we made a bid. I’ve bought property before but good grief this is painstakingly slow, almost as if no one really gives a toss. Not sure if I should be asking for a reduction now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Is anyone having any luck getting exemptions ? I have good savings but to get a decent property I would still struggle with 3.5 times my salary. I had a meeting with ptsb today and he said he would send my request off for 4 times my salary as my savings record was good and no financial commitments but I’d probably just be offered the 3.5 times.

We're approved with a exemption, been advised we won't get an extention to our AIP with our exemption as Banks won't be offering them for the rest of the year...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

So we bought a semi D house in a new housing estate, with a price tag of 260k and signed contracts. The construction was put on hold due to Covid-19, but it is going quick now.

Is it possible to negotiate the price now? According to the contract the house is supposed to be ready July and if its not, do we get any compensation?

The 5% from HTB scheme has been paid to the builder on the above price.

We haven't withdrawn funds from our approved mortgage.

Thanks

So we bought a semi D house in a new housing estate, with a price tag of 260k and signed contracts. The construction was put on hold due to Covid-19, but it is going quick now.

Is it possible to negotiate the price now? According to the contract the house is supposed to be ready July and if its not, do we get any compensation?

Thanks

If the contracts are already signed, then you have your answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Ok, thank you.
    If the contracts are already signed, then you have your answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Techn0

Ok, thank you.

While you may not have any luck negotiating price, you can always speak to your builder and negotiate on the fit out / finish. If there's additional costs included such as kitchen or other fittings you could always try and negotiate those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Today was the last day we could draw down the mortgage (after the months extension) Just got a text saying the mortgage has just been sent through.

Moving in tomorrow. The most stressful two weeks of my life. Genuinely, all I’ve been thinking about is the poor people that have been refused because of the covid payment. Especially those have lost deposits. I really hope the government will do something for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

How could anyone lose deposits?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭19233974

We're approved with a exemption, been advised we won't get an extention to our AIP with our exemption as Banks won't be offering them for the rest of the year...

yea they are pulled for the rest of the year with all lenders and i imagine it would be hard to get even approved ones over the line as i heard of 2 people having them pulled between AIP and completion. But obviously its a case by case basis,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

How could anyone lose deposits?

If they sign an unconditional contract and can't complete, the deposit is forfeit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mon1239

Hey all, we're 'in the process' of buying at the moment and considering a couple of houses but we do have a preferred house. It's in a commuter belt area and the builder had put the price of this phase up substantially (this row is due for completion end of year).

I'm wondering has anyone put a reduced offer in on a new build and had any luck with it yet?

Target addressable market for the developers is going down day by day as the banks tighten up and the number of people able to take out a mortgage goes down further and further.

If I myself was a builder, I'd be taking any 'decent' offers that come in and locking them down to secure the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Today was the last day we could draw down the mortgage (after the months extension) Just got a text saying the mortgage has just been sent through.

Moving in tomorrow. The most stressful two weeks of my life. Genuinely, all I’ve been thinking about is the poor people that have been refused because of the covid payment. Especially those have lost deposits. I really hope the government will do something for them.

Congrats mate. Glad it all worked out

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coughdrops

Tilikum17 wrote: »

Best of luck with the move. Exciting times for you.

We're still in a bit of Covid payment limbo (but got our deposit back - thank god!) and we're hoping that we can get sorted out with a different lender soon.

If they sign an unconditional contract and can't complete, the deposit is forfeit.

Why would the solicitor not include a clause when means the deposit is only sent after drawdown? Who gets to keep the deposit?! Sounds absolutely ridiculous.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why would the solicitor not include a clause when means the deposit is only sent after drawdown? Who gets to keep the deposit?! Sounds absolutely ridiculous.

The developer keeps it obviously. The clause you describe would be laughed out of it, what's the point in a deposit if they don't get it until drawdown?

Sometimes they get a clause inserted that says the deposit will be returned in cases where the buyer fails to secure finance, but everything in the contract has to be mutually agreed, so the developer can say no. And based on posters on this forum, it's not that rare for them to refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

MattS1 wrote: »

The solicitor can only include such a clause if the other side agree. Many refuse. The owner of the house gets to keep the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

Thanks

We are in the same situation and have decided to go ahead without the complications of trying to hash out a new deal. have called our solicitor today for her to start the drawdown as the snags are done :) . As for it being finished in July - I know in our contracts it stated that the contractors had a year from when we signed to get it finished although we already knew our house was near completion.

The solicitor can only include such a clause if the other side agree. Many refuse. The owner of the house gets to keep the deposit.

Why would anyone willingly enter a contract such as that? Completely stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭stayback

MattS1 wrote: »

This clause only became popular after the crash most vendors wouldn’t entertain it prior to the crash.

It’s at the vendors discretion weather they accept this clause or not.

If I was selling a property I wouldn’t be keen on its insertion. When you sign contracts the vendors needs certainty and the contracts have to be binding.

What’s stopping the buyer going into the bank and telling the bank they no longer require the mortgage etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ladystardust

Currently sale agreed. Previously lost mortgage and forever home due to covid related complications. We had a 50% deposit so decided to go ahead and try for a cash sale of another property because we REALLY need somewhere fast ( considered renting etc but weighing up our particular situation we decided against). Was just wondering if the process is the same? Can I just pay the whole price at once or do I have to do the deposit thing?

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Because that's how buying and selling houses works. The buyer doesn't get to unilaterally dictate the terms.

Currently sale agreed. Previously lost mortgage and forever home due to covid related complications. We had a 50% deposit so decided to go ahead and try for a cash sale of another property because we REALLY need somewhere fast ( considered renting etc but weighing up our particular situation we decided against). Was just wondering if the process is the same? Can I just pay the whole price at once or do I have to do the deposit thing?

You can pay your solicitor all the money and they can hold it in their client and when the money is due they can pay it out..

Or else you can just give your solicitor the money when the deposit is due and give them the balance when you want to close.

Usually these sales tend to be quicker than mortgage draw down .
    Make sure you bargain hard with the EA tell them your a cash buyer and there won’t be any delays ..

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ladystardust

stayback wrote: »
    You can pay your solicitor all the money and they can hold it in their client and when the money is due they can pay it out..

Or else you can just give your solicitor the money when the deposit is due and give them the balance when you want to close.

Usually these sales tend to be quicker than mortgage draw down .
    Make sure you bargain hard with the EA tell them your a cash buyer and there won’t be any delays ..

Thank you, I'll chat to my solicitor and see what they want. We purchased the place with the condition that a quick sale was achieved. Sale agreed one day, survey done the next 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Waiting for the contract to be sent to me to sign and transfer deposit, as per conversations about losing the deposit, Haven dragged their feet over the offer, despite me no longer needing an exception on account of agreeing a price reduction. I'm anxious about them now dragging out the draw down - anybody seen this? It should be fine but I'm wary of Haven at this point, they just seem to constantly be requesting more then taking their time, when I've been quite prompt in getting them what's required in order to progress things along

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭coff66

Mon1239 wrote: »
    Hey all, we're 'in the process' of buying at the moment and considering a couple of houses but we do have a preferred house. It's in a commuter belt area and the builder had put the price of this phase up substantially (this row is due for completion end of year).

I'm wondering has anyone put a reduced offer in on a new build and had any luck with it yet?

Target addressable market for the developers is going down day by day as the banks tighten up and the number of people able to take out a mortgage goes down further and further.

If I myself was a builder, I'd be taking any 'decent' offers that come in and locking them down to secure the sale.

We are sale agreed, booking deposit paid since early February. Had been awaiting contracts and they just arrived the week the schools closed. When full lockdown was announced we approached the EA in regards to possibly renegotiating price and they said everything on hold and to wait and see how market reacts. Had not heard from EA since, so emailed today offering 9% less. Got a snotty email back stating there was no evidence to suggest a drop in prices and suggested that costs were increasing because of Covid and builder may be increasing prices and there would be no altering of the price. Not entirely sure they even bothered to contact the builder to be fair.

No entirely sure where to go from here, probably should have just gone direct to the builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 justme112

Thanks
    Exact same boat. Worried about the paying full price while seeing the remaining houses get listed for less due to current situation.
    We're checking to see what the options are but seems limited as contracts have been signed. We do have clause that says deposit can be refunded if finance cannot be made available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Hey, could anyone advise, do you sign the bank loan offer at the same time as signing house contracts with your solicitor ? Or are these signed separately by yourself and returned to the bank ?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

We sold a house over a month ago now. The money has been transferred into our solicitors client account. But the solicitor won't release till all proper searches registration are done. The solicitor is blaming government offices being closed for the delay are anyone else experiencing this?

• Advertisement

blowin3 wrote: »
    We sold a house over a month ago now. The money has been transferred into our solicitors client account. But the solicitor won't release till all proper searches registration are done. The solicitor is blaming government offices being closed for the delay are anyone else experiencing this?

That doesn’t sound right. The offices were closed but a back open with about 3 weeks and those searches should have been done prior to closing. I’d contact the solicitor again via email and if you get no joy straight to the law society.

Looks like he is messing you around. I’ve heard some horror stories over the years.

Advertisement