Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Door frame pull up bar

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

I am sorry man but they are the worst idea I have ever seen! You are in Ireland yea? Do yourself a favour and just get a chinup bar in argos for a tenner, they work better than the ones in your link and will be much cheaper by the time you spend 20 dollars on them, atleast 15 shipping, import duty and vat!

The benefit of the one I sell is that you are away from the door frame, you can do normal chin ups, hammer chins, wide grip pull ups (the best back building exercise ever) and inversion work and it removes completely from the doorframe and doesn't require screwing or drilling into the doorframe like the argos one.
    Tadgh78 wrote: »
    Hello everyone! This is my first post on Boards.ie :)

I think these "door-loop" things from amazon look fairly good. All they appear to be is two separate plastic hand grips that hook onto the top of a door which are held in place when the door is closed. You pull yourself up by them to perform a pull-up. They're designed to be taken anywhere and have zero set up time, which is good.

http://www.amazon.com/Lifeline-Power-Up-Chin-Ups/dp/B00065BT3G/ref=pd_sbs_sg_title_3

They're reasonably priced and have had mostly positive reviews.Two (minor for most people) draw-backs are 1) that they chip the paintwork and might damage the top of the door slightly, (but probably not noticeably) and 2) that the pull-up you'll do with them won't quite be a conventional pull-up, as having the door closed alters and restricts the type of movements you can perform quite a bit.

I think I'm going to give them a go anyway.

They can be purchased from here;

https://www.lifelineusa.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tadgh78

Mickk wrote: »
    Do yourself a favour and just get a chinup bar in argos for a tenner,

I bought that very one a couple of years ago, it was about 15 or 20 euro at the time I think, and it's the best money I ever spent on a piece of exercise equipment.

However I now want something that's portable and, just like the original poster I don't want to have to get out the screw-driver every place I set it up.

they work better than the ones in your link and will be much cheaper by the time you spend 20 dollars on them, atleast 15 shipping, import duty and vat!
    A regular chin-up bar probably would work better but as regards price; I've already ordered them and postage to Ireland was $9.99 + the price of $19.99 = $30 or about 20 euro altogether. The item will ship as a small packet and in my experience customs aren't interested until you get up to about a 100 euro value on a parcel including postage.
    The benefit of the one I sell is that you are away from the door frame, you can do normal chin ups, hammer chins, wide grip pull ups (the best back building exercise ever) and inversion work and it removes completely from the doorframe and doesn't require screwing or drilling into the door frame like the argos one.
    I don't deny that that is a quality piece of equipment, but it's not exactly portable though, and it appears to require about 6 inches of clearance on both sides of the door frame, which is something a lot of people living in flats and apartments (myself included) won't have.

This is what I have to deal with;

IMG_3850.jpg
    As you can see I have no clearance on either side of the door-frame so a device like the one you are selling would appear to be out of the question for me.

I

Tadgh78 wrote: »
    I bought that very one a couple of years ago, it was about 15 or 20 euro at the time I think, and it's the best money I ever spent on a piece of exercise equipment.

However I now want something that's portable and, just like the original poster I don't want to have to get out the screw-driver every place I set it up.

A regular chin-up bar probably would work better but as regards price; I've already ordered them and postage to Ireland was $9.99 + the price of $19.99 = $30 or about 20 euro altogether. The item will ship as a small packet and in my experience customs aren't interested until you get up to about a 100 euro value on a parcel including postage.

I don't deny that that is a quality piece of equipment, but it's not exactly portable though, and it appears to require about 6 inches of clearance on both sides of the door frame, which is something a lot of people living in flats and apartments (myself included) won't have.

This is what I have to deal with;

IMG_3850.jpg
    As you can see I have no clearance on either side of the door-frame so a device like the one you are selling would appear to be out of the question for me.

I

Just the fact that your weight would naturally hang exactly where the door is so you have to drag yourself up a door with pretty much your whole bodyweight on your elbows. Then there is the fact that the whole weight is on the door, it would be fine for a front door but an internal door would break pretty quickly I would think... I got stung for a small pack coming in with dhl, 7 euro vat, 2 euro duty and 12.50 for dhl fee to collect cod!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

rubadub wrote: »
    You did have the 2 socket things on the door frame didnt you?

You screw 2 sockets and twist the bar the ends go into them, then you twist more so it actively pushes the frame apart a little.
    Mine doesn't have that.It's got hard plastic on the end which together with the force of pulling down on the thing keeps it on the doorframe. I guess if you were doing some major kipping it might be a problem but I swing quite a bit on it at about 68kg and its never come off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭cmyk

Mickk wrote: »
    Ok I have put this special on for another week.
    http://irish-lifting.com/product_info_equipment.php?cPath=1_8&products_id=270
    I have over 100 of these instock so there will be no delays in delivery...

Many thanks for running this again Mickk, just ordered one, and looking forward to trying it out! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭he man rugger

Found this thread on a search, I'm in two minds between one I saw in Argos that sticks between the two sides of the doorframe and the one from Irish-Lifting.com. I'm terrified that if I put one up that rests on the top of the doorframe I'll pull the top of the doorframe down with me, its not an especially weak frame but not especially strong either. I've read a few things about these wrecking the wood on the frames, how does it hold up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tadgh78

^ Get one of the ones that screw into the door frame. They don't harm the door frame at all unless you count the holes for the screws as harm.

3003341A61UC55681X.jpg

I have one of these, it's all you need. There are fancier ones with extra bars for different grips but when you have them up it looks like you have the frame of a bicycle bolted to your door.

I also tried the ones that consists of two seperate "hand loops". They hook over the top of the door itself and are held in place just by friction. They weren't a sucess at all, and did mark the top of the door quite noticably.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭he man rugger

Got one of them in Argos this evening, the bloody things to hold it in place don't really fit any of my doors now, well they do but barely and theres little leeway between the edge of the door frame and the last screw that would go in, I'll give it a try tomorrow but might just try to find extra long screws to go further into the frame to compensate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Yo yo.

Seen in Supervalu this evening they have the Iron Gym bar. Checked reviews, seems a good buy, but sadly the box was open and was missing parts. Gutted as it was only €20.

Anyways long story short, does anywhere in Dublin sell them? Or a chin up bar that you don't have to 'install'? If so I'd be picking it up tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Yo yo.

Seen in Supervalu this evening they have the Iron Gym bar. Checked reviews, seems a good buy, but sadly the box was open and was missing parts. Gutted as it was only €20.

Anyways long story short, does anywhere in Dublin sell them? Or a chin up bar that you don't have to 'install'? If so I'd be picking it up tomorrow.

Hi There

www.irish-lifting.com sell a really good pull-up/chin-up bar that goes over your door. I picked one up only last week and am really happy with it.

There is a guy who posts on here "Mickk" who own and runs Irish Lifting. He also has a supplement shop in camden St (Fighting Fit) where you can usually pick the equipment up from, or he will deliver. But not too sure how busy he is delivery wise this close to Christmas.

You can see a clip of the exact pull-up bar in this post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055773332

You can contact Mickk at
    admin@irishlifting.com

- or -

01 475 9529

Best Regards,

B-Builder wrote: »
    Hi There

www.irish-lifting.com sell a really good pull-up/chin-up bar that goes over your door. I picked one up only last week and am really happy with it.

There is a guy who posts on here "Mickk" who own and runs Irish Lifting. He also has a supplement shop in camden St (Fighting Fit) where you can usually pick the equipment up from, or he will deliver. But not too sure how busy he is delivery wise this close to Christmas.

You can contact Mickk at
    admin@irishlifting.com

- or -

01 475 9529

Best Regards,

Cheers for that buddy, I meant to say I'm aware of the Irish Lifting one, but it might be outta my price range at €40. Might give 'em a ring tomorrow and see about collecting one tho, fingers crossed for a discount!!! :pac:

Just to bump - anyone know if Tesco, Supervalu, etc stock this in Dublin?

I'm tempting the devil with this triple post, but just to say, I found a chin up bar. Its very similar to the Irish Lifting one, the doorway gym.

I got it in Tesco in Belfast for £15, tried it out and am very happy with it. Tesco also have a good few other bits on offer, well worth a look... http://direct.tesco.com/q/N.1999332/Nr.99.aspx

I'm tempting the devil with this triple post, but just to say, I found a chin up bar. Its very similar to the Irish Lifting one, the doorway gym.

I got it in Tesco in Belfast for £15, tried it out and am very happy with it. Tesco also have a good few other bits on offer, well worth a look... http://direct.tesco.com/q/N.1999332/Nr.99.aspx

I can't believe what a small world it is, literally 4 hours ago I was standing in a factory in China watching them making the Door gym's for Tesco! I took a picture which I will stick up when I get home.

The only problem with the tesco one is that you can only really do one type of pullup. Wide grip overhanded pullups are a completely different beast and probably the best back widening exercises. I would say they work 80% back and 20% biceps where as neutral or close grip pullups work 80% biceps and 20% back. I took a decision to sell a much higher quality one which think is better value, theirs weights 1.5kg and mine more than three times that. Here is the Tesco one for people who don't know what I am talking about http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-6734.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

http://www.buy4now.ie/elverys/aspx/productdetail.aspx?pid=6377&loc=P&catid=9.27

Does the top of the door frame need to be at 90 degrees for these to work or is it ok if they are sloped/curved?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ciarap

Are you still in Knocklyon. My DH is looking for one of the chin up bars.

Thanks

CP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Just ordered the one from Elverys. 30 euro including shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DtrucksFan

Hi There

You can contact Mickk at
    admin@irishlifting.com

- or -

01 475 9529

Best Regards,

Bump purely because this is exactly what i was looking for and exceptionally hard to find info on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

http://www.steelfitstore.com/Wall_Mount_Pull_Up_Bars.html

Was looking at a wall mounted bar for side wall of the house - these fit the bill but are bonkers money.

http://www.irish-lifting.com/wall-chin-bar-pe-217.html

this one from Irish lifting seems much better value - what's the difference?

Idea is to do chins, ring dips and hanging leg raises off it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

TheZ wrote: »
    http://www.steelfitstore.com/Wall_Mount_Pull_Up_Bars.html

Was looking at a wall mounted bar for side wall of the house - these fit the bill but are bonkers money.

http://www.irish-lifting.com/wall-chin-bar-pe-217.html

this one from Irish lifting seems much better value - what's the difference?

Idea is to do chins, ring dips and hanging leg raises off it

Main difference I can see (apart from price) is that the more expensive bar has a distance fo 22" between the bar and the wall where the Irish lifting version only has a 10" gap. So double the clearance with the more expensive one, but I would agree price is a little crazy.

However I would guess that anywhere that deals in metal work (wrought iron gate folks etc) may be able to knock together a pullup bar similar to the first (expensive) version for less than that. Or you could consider something like the Power Tower from Irish Liftign if you had a garage or similar in which to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Nuts!

DtrucksFan wrote: »
    Bump purely because this is exactly what i was looking for and exceptionally hard to find info on!

+1

I've literally spent half the day looking for a multi position bar that I can get in/to Ireland without having to take out a small mortgage to pay for shipping. Irish Lifting is about to get itself one more customer :)

Just out of curiosity can I say that this looks exactly like the "Xtreme" model of a very popular door gym brand. It's not the first time I've seen this model under different names though. What's the story there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

just to add i got the door frame bar from irish lifting and it is perfect. The lad from the shop called me the day I placed the order to say it was slightly different from the one in the pic (better if anything, its turned upwards to be higher from the floor) and it was with me the next day. it took about 3 mins to put together and is really secure( and does not mark the door frame).

There are less hand positions then the one in the pic but they are no loss as far as i can see, but i am no pull up expert as my max is 10 although this going up all the time thanks to my great new bar!

By the way, I have to say the service from irish lifting is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Bumping a very old thread here but couldn't find anything more recent.

I'm looking at getting something like this: http://www.irish-lifting.com/doorway-gym-pe-270.html

My only concern is that the walls in my apartment are all plasterboard and I'm worried this might damage it, I don't mind using a bit of felt to stop the paint getting scuffed but don't want to crack the plasterwork.

Anybody else used these on a plasterboard wall? (I already have the screw-in expanding type but it's cracking the door frame and chipping paint so I've been banned from using it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

hardCopy wrote: »
    Bumping a very old thread here but couldn't find anything more recent.

I'm looking at getting something like this: http://www.irish-lifting.com/doorway-gym-pe-270.html

My only concern is that the walls in my apartment are all plasterboard and I'm worried this might damage it, I don't mind using a bit of felt to stop the paint getting scuffed but don't want to crack the plasterwork.

Anybody else used these on a plasterboard wall? (I already have the screw-in expanding type but it's cracking the door frame and chipping paint so I've been banned from using it)

It should be fine,its designed so the weight is passed through the door frame,a little extra rubber padding will help prevent and paint damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

drdeadlift wrote: »
    It should be fine,its designed so the weight is passed through the door frame,a little extra rubber padding will help prevent and paint damage.

But it says check the wall for strength?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I know this is an old thread but didnt want to make any more.

I have been looking at getting one that doesnt need to be screwed on so i was looking at a few on Argos Irish lifting and the Iron gym one.

See i am just a bit cautious over the door frame and the walls around the doors. I went around checked the walls at all the doors and there not solid there kinda hollow inside when u bang on them. I reckon if u pulled out of the frame enough it would crack also.

A lot of the bars hold more then 17 stone im 15 myself i am just afraid of breaking the door or wall or even pulling the bar down and killing me self :pac:

Any ideas ?? Me mate has one in the place hes renting and hes had no issues hes around same height and weight as me im still just a bit edgy about it seeing as i am only renting this place a while.

I know this is an old thread but didnt want to make any more.

I have been looking at getting one that doesnt need to be screwed on so i was looking at a few on Argos Irish lifting and the Iron gym one.

See i am just a bit cautious over the door frame and the walls around the doors. I went around checked the walls at all the doors and there not solid there kinda hollow inside when u bang on them. I reckon if u pulled out of the frame enough it would crack also.

A lot of the bars hold more then 17 stone im 15 myself i am just afraid of breaking the door or wall or even pulling the bar down and killing me self :pac:

Any ideas ?? Me mate has one in the place hes renting and hes had no issues hes around same height and weight as me im still just a bit edgy about it seeing as i am only renting this place a while.

The top of the door frame doesn't actually bear that much of the load, it mostly acts as a pivot. The vast majority of the force is applied perpendicularly into the main frame of the door/wall. I'm not sure if it would work on a hollow wall, only one way to find out.

Most of the bars have a weight limit of around 100kg, but this would include a factor of safety. You should be ok at ~95kg. When I was 90kg I used mine without any problems. Just bear in mind that anything other than steady pull-ups will result in a lot more force being applied (basically, don't do any of that crossfit **** on there).

Owen_S wrote: »
    The top of the door frame doesn't actually bear that much of the load, it mostly acts as a pivot. The vast majority of the force is applied perpendicularly into the main frame of the door/wall. I'm not sure if it would work on a hollow wall, only one way to find out.

Most of the bars have a weight limit of around 100kg, but this would include a factor of safety. You should be ok at ~95kg. When I was 90kg I used mine without any problems. Just bear in mind that anything other than steady pull-ups will result in a lot more force being applied (basically, don't do any of that crossfit **** on there).

I'm just looking to do pull up s that's it. I just dunno what to do weather I should get one or not.

I'm just looking to do pull up s that's it. I just dunno what to do weather I should get one or not.

You can pick one up for around €20 in some places (have a look in Elverys too). If it works, it will be the best €20 you ever spent. I made all kinds of gains with mine.

Owen_S wrote: »
    You can pick one up for around €20 in some places (have a look in Elverys too). If it works, it will be the best €20 you ever spent. I made all kinds of gains with mine.

If it doesn't I'll end up with a DIY bill haha..

• Advertisement
Advertisement