Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Firearms Awareness Day

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i know a lot of MF that want a slap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sparks wrote: »
    And you think I'm a fan of that?
    Doesn't mean they're utterly unsuited, it just means they need to improve.
    And as I understand it, several have become far more open in the last few years...Ever hear of a SLAPP case?
    Besides, anyone who's read this forum or it's archives, will be able to guess at at least one name.

OK, OK, your blogg from FCP conference comes to mind ..... :(

Never heard of that BUT know of it happeneing and know who did it and the amazing thing is they got away with it ;) :rolleyes: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

John 52 wrote: »
    What is a slapp case?
    Click on the link, it has a reasonably good explanation - but to paraphrase, it's sueing someone while knowing you'd lose in court, but counting on the cost of the court case to shut them up from saying something you want kept out of the public eye.
    Never heard of that BUT know of it happeneing and know who did it and the amazing thing is they got away with it ;) :rolleyes: :mad:
    Yup. The cost of court cases in Ireland does have that effect. It's the main reason we didn't find out all of what Haughey was up to until he was well out of harm's way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I don't mean Haughey :eek:

I don't mean Haughey :eek:
    I don't either, but the principle's the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SAKO_FTR

The cost of court cases in Ireland does have that effect.
    IMHO it seams that seniors officers in An Garda Siochana can refuse licences that where previously granted knowing the only recourse for the applicant is to go to the District Court.
    The applicant my not having the money to take the case to the District Court so the license is lost.

Participants in various disciplines of the shooting sports who no longer have licenses for their firearms are now looking at golf on the telly!

A great line is "You can have anything you like as long as it's not something I don't like!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Here's the notice as scanned from the Irish Farmers Journal, Saturday 12 June 2010:
    gardafirearmsawarenessn.png

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

Just heard for m a dealer that 2 weeks sfter that date an audit will be done on all firearms whos owners were refused licences for and who did not appeal,they will be forced to sell by the end of june or surrender to the gardai for destruction.
    anyone else hear this

Seems to be correct. From the Sunday Business Post:
    Gardai order audit of country’s gun owners
    13 June 2010 By John Burke Public Affairs Correspondent

Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy has ordered an audit of the country’s gun owners, amid concerns over the ‘‘large number’’ of unregistered firearms across the country.

Firearms groups were informed about the audit on June 2, the same day that 12 people were shot dead in Cumbria by taxi driver Derrick Bird. The audit will be conducted in ‘‘early July’’, according to correspondence seen by The Sunday Business Post.

It will be carried out by garda superintendents in each district nationwide, under legislation originally devised to tackle organised crime gangs.

The nationwide audit is aimed at people who own licensed guns, but may have lapsed in re-licensing some or all of their firearms.

Anyone found in possession of an unlicensed gun faces the prospect of their ‘‘firearms being seized or may even render them liable to prosecution’’, according to the correspondence.

The audit will follow National Firearms Awareness Day, which is designated for this Wednesday, when gardaí will be making themselves available at garda stations nationwide to advise on how to obtain permits under the new three-year licensing system.

Prior to the new licence system being launched, there were more than 230,000 firearms licensed in the state, of which more than 177,000 were shotguns.

‘‘Large numbers of firearms owners have still not yet re-applied for their new three year firearm certificates," according to the letter from the gardaí to gun groups. All old gun licences expire at the end of this month.

The government is engaged in a dispute with gun groups over the new licensing regime, as well as recent garda decisions over the issue of permits for certain handguns.

The state last week said it would oppose a High Court application by a pistol shooter, Patrick Herlihy, who has challenged a District Court judge’s refusal to grant him firearms certificates for six pistols - the judge refused to grant certificates for the guns on the grounds of their lethal nature.

That sounds worrying alright,looks like the state is doing everything to rid the country of as many firearms as possible regardless of the costs incurred to us or the losses we face.
    The dealer who tols me this is a member of the fcp and the group who represents the dealers and is on the ball when it comes to information.
    We should all start bombarding our tds on this one and demand compensation.
    I spoke to Niall Collins last week about my own case and he agrees that compensation should be part of the package,but then we have Ahern who does not give a toss about our losses so not expecting much to come from that.
    My own gun for which I did not appeal will fetch around 200 euros and I paid 800 for it,but might just have to let it go for that if the state are going to sieze it for 0 euros.
    Very bad form from the state .
    Where next?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭guns4fun

The state last week said it would oppose a High Court application by a pistol shooter, Patrick Herlihy, who has challenged a District Court judge’s refusal to grant him firearms certificates for six pistols - the judge refused to grant certificates for the guns on the grounds of their lethal nature.

This case is deeply worrying,it shows the governments determination to get rid of all handguns.
    This bunch have about 2 years left in power and with the help of the gormless greens they might just see it through.
    They can still do a lot of damage in that time because they know that they won't be getting in again for a long time hopefully.
    If the case above is anything to go by then the state could regard anything lethal and so go about the demise of many more types of guns.
    The future does look bleak indeed for law abiding shooters while the criminals carry on unhindered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Nothing like being an optimistit eh???I wish Pat every sucess in his case,after being down there and thru it.Pats isnt the only case in front of the HC.There are dozens more on many points of "bad law" to be dealt with.This is a different story from a DC and a judge with no clue on the matter,and a anti gun biased CS.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Nothing like being an optimistit eh???I wish Pat every sucess in his case,after being down there and thru it.Pats isnt the only case in front of the HC.There are dozens more on many points of "bad law" to be dealt with.This is a different story from a DC and a judge with no clue on the matter,and a anti gun biased CS.
    I wish him and the rest every success too,but it's an awful shame that sportsmen/women have to go to those lengths to keep their sport hense the lack of optimism.
    who can blame us for feeling like that but chin up and hopefully all will be well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

daveob007 wrote: »
    My own gun for which I did not appeal will fetch around 200 euros and I paid 800 for it

Is it a restricted handgun?

If so then you have no choice but to ship it out of the state to sell it anyway as nobody here can get a license for it and you have accepted the refusal (by virtue of not appealing) so you may as well ship it out now.

If it is not then advertise it here on boards and see does anyone want it.

I would not see the state putting a best before date on stock in dealers after which point it must be destroyed. They could not do it in a hardware shop so why do it in a firearms dealers?

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    If so then you have no choice but to ship it out of the state to sell it anyway as nobody here can get a license for it and you have accepted the refusal (by virtue of not appealing) so you may as well ship it out now.
    OR, he can store it with an RFD and apply again later on when all the current mess is sorted out in a positive manner. Or have it stored outside the state, in NI (I imagine that NI firearms dealers wouldn't object to the business of providing secure storage for a reasonable fee).

The law says that noone else can apply for a certificate for that pistol other than the OP; it says nothing about the OP himself, who held a licence for the pistol before Nov 19 2009, not being able to ever apply again in the future if the licence lapses.

mine is a restricted item 9mm glock17.
    dont have the funds to appeal or replace it with something else.
    will try advertise it here and see,someone who is licenced might like a change

daveob007 wrote: »
    mine is a restricted item 9mm glock17.
    dont have the funds to appeal or replace it with something else.
    will try advertise it here and see,someone who is licenced might like a change
    Unfortunately, you, personally, are the only citizen of this country who can licence that particular firearm, having had it licenced before the cut-off date.
    There is no provision in the legislation for fullbore pistol licence holders to change firearms, even on a like-for-like basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

So much for every garda station having personnel available - my local station was closed.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Chiparus wrote: »
    So much for every garda station having personnel available - my local station was closed.:rolleyes:

I used to ring them on the half hour for hours.
    In the end I cut out the middle man and went to the main station.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

There was a nice piece on the 9pm RTE1 news tonight that criticized the licencing procedure and in particular the nation wide discrepancies that we have all experienced. The chap being interviewed stated that a centralized licencing body was required:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Here's the link to the RTE i-player for anyone who missed it. It's about 3/4 of the way to the end of the News (Fastforward to the 20min Timesign): http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1075016

Not a bad report all in all - although they did use that damnable w-word at the start.
    Why or why is DC the only face of shooting we see? He feckin' pops everywhere - And he doesn't really represent my shooting interests TBH. Can we have another talking-head please?

It never fails to feel ironic when the NARGC calls for a centralised licencing authority, since it was the NARGC supreme court case that cemented the persona designata status of the non-centralised licencing authorities in the first place. But it was a decent piece of PR work nonetheless, not shouty or alienating for the general public.

There was a nice piece on the 9pm RTE1 news tonight that criticized the licencing procedure and in particular the nation wide discrepancies that we have all experienced. The chap being interviewed stated that a centralized licencing body was required:)
    dCorbus wrote: »
    Here's the link to the RTE i-player for anyone who missed it. It's about 3/4 of the way to the end of the News (Fastforward to the 20min Timesign): http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1075016

Not a bad report all in all - although they did use that damnable w-word at the start.
    Why or why is DC the only face of shooting we see? He feckin' pops everywhere - And he doesn't really represent my shooting interests TBH. Can we have another talking-head please?

Aaaaaaand... here we go:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Must be working well! Had the misses mother on the phone all concerned earlier.
    "He may go to jail if he doesn't get them licenced" :D:D:D:D el boot hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭DJandDeid

My Dad was on too, 'watch out for that gun licence'. All I need now is for my April application to be processed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Rovi wrote: »

It's a great shame that RTE can't spell PHOENIX Park...kinda lowers the whole crediblity. It's not as though it wasn't there before the invention of the TV.

I'm not commenting on the interviewee. My views on your rather different approach to firearms licencing are well-known to my contacts on other fora.

---
    Supporter of the ----

---

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Garda have announced that 'Owners in possession of firearms who have as of yet failed to apply for a new type of 3 year gun licence must do so before the end of this month.
    Failure to do so might mean that such owners could find them self facing possible charges for being in possession of an unlicenced firearm.

It seems unfair IMO that a licenced citizen could face the same charges as a hardened criminal.
    One forgot to get it done or just left it on the long finger and the other had to organize it's delivery through a local drug gang!!
    Surely the threat of a standard fine is enough to keep law fearing folk on the straight an narrow..

Merging threads on the same topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

talking to someone yesterday in the know and 80k applications still not back in :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Chiparus wrote: »

To paraphrase Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas.

"You need to make the Garda chase you"

Write a note, Dear Garda X, Please call me on .... as soon as possible, thanks. Chiparus.

Curiosity is a bitch - whatever you do, don't tell him what it's about.

Advertisement