Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philip Boucher Hayes.

Options
  • 07-01-2010 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

what do you all think of him folks. I personally think he should replace Mary Wilson full time. He's also filled in for Pat Kenny very capably on a number of occasions.

PBH for drivetime.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

yeah...go along with that, much more forceful and direct than Mary.

Just one thing though.... that fcuking SCO accent could I say could get to me over an extended period.

Bit of a smug cnut as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So is he better or not FB? ;)

I just heard him "call" Roy Greenslade perfectly. Ingratiating indeed.

I couldn't listen to the lad over an extended period.

Way too smug for me, always trying to be the smart guy.

Something about his interview technique gets under my skin.

Does that make him better or worse??

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How did he not get fired over mistakes in the reporting inaccuracies in the Pamela Izvekvabhai (sp?) case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

snubbleste wrote: »
    How did he not get fired over mistakes in the reporting inaccuracies in the Pamela Izvekvabhai (sp?) case?

I dont think he deserved to be fired over it, but it was a black mark on his record. It was very embarrassing for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I must have missed that, what did he do? (or not do as the case may be?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Heard he gave Willie O' Dea a grillin but I missed it. Any use folks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 stutelle

did you hear him question willie O' dea this evening about mobilising the army? very entertaining, pbh went straight for the sore points, he was realy caught on the back foot and I could almost see willie squirm

I heard the thing with Willie O'Dea.. "It's local council's fault because the situation does not constitute an emergency" O'Dea.... Fking idiots.. wasting their time on the radio bickering with each other over red tape when they should be out gritting the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 54321

Thought he did a great job today on the O Dea interview, Skured (if thats how you spell it) him nicely and played a weather forcast from a week back when o dea mentioned the weather!

• Advertisement

54321 wrote: »
    Thought he did a great job today on the O Dea interview, Skured (if thats how you spell it) him nicely and played a weather forcast from a week back when o dea mentioned the weather!

skewered.

I think Mary's brain works at slower pace than Philip's. She's very slow and pronounced with the delivery of each question. Like a dithering old school teacher.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I don't know if anyone heard him yesterday evening with the Slovakian ambassador, but it's well worth a listen. He's much better than Wilson. She sounds very self-important. Pronunciation seems to be more important than anything else with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

dambarude wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone heard him yesterday evening with the Slovakian ambassador, but it's well worth a listen. He's much better than Wilson. She sounds very self-important. Pronunciation seems to be more important than anything else with her.

I liked her as Legal Correspondent with RTE, so I thought she'd be good on Drivetime, but I'm sick to death of listening to her now. I prefer Matt Cooper, or Foxrock's favourite grizzly teddy bear grandad, Hook!

What you say about her pronunciation is very true, and it annoys me the way she pronounces her "T"s... with a word like "meeting" sounding like "meeshing". Grates on my nerves!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I've usually enjoyed his work on radio and lets face it, he'd be a big improvement on Wilson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Slidey wrote: »

In 2005, RTE aired Boucher-Hayes interviewing a Dr Joseph Unokanjo, whose medical report claimed Pamela Izevbekhai's daughter died due to complications of female genital mutilation. He also made a sworn affidavit supporting Izevbekai's legal case. The document was later found to be a forgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Boucher hayes is the man for this job very professional far superior to mary wilson i bet she is sorry taking extra holidays going by these threads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

what do you all think of him folks. I personally think he should replace Mary Wilson full time. He's also filled in for Pat Kenny very capably on a number of occasions.

PBH for drivetime.

I think he's superb on radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Freddie_Turnill

I dont think he deserved to be fired over it, but it was a black mark on his record. It was very embarrassing for sure.
    Slidey wrote: »

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2009/apr/05/the-curious-case-of-pamela-izevbekhai/

"RTÉ broadcast an interview with a man claiming to be Dr Joseph Unokanjo in 2005 and again replayed it last week. This newspaper has established that the man purporting to be Dr Unokanjo reads verbatim from this fake document (pictured right) that Izevbekhai now admits is a forgery.

Philip Boucher-Hayes is the RTÉ broadcaster who conducted the radio interview. Boucher-Hayes has sworn an affidavit supporting Izevbekhai's claims for her legal case. He said through a spokeswoman last week: "In 2005, I rang international directory enquiries and got a number for the hospital in which Dr Unokanjo works.

I rang the hospital and was put through to the person whose interview was aired."

A phone number for Isioma hospital in Lagos was not available from international directory enquiries when contacted on several occasions this week. The address on the fake document gives a fake address and phone number for the hospital.
    The hospital's actual address is 11 James Robertson Street, Surulere, Lagos.

In his sworn affidavit, Boucher Hayes said that when he telephoned Dr Unokanjo back some time later, Boucher Hayes he alleged to have been visited by a Nigerian army captain who threatened him for speaking publicly in support of Pamela Izevbekhai. Boucher Hayes was unavailable for comment."[/

It's one thing to be fooled, or more accurately in this case blinded, because of "advocacy (rather than investigative) journalism" but it's another case entirely to assert that you did things like "independently contacting" the hospital by "international telephone directories" when you currently cannot contact that hospital in Lagos by this means, as per above attempt by the "Sunday Tribune". His supposed method of contacting Isioma hospital in Lagos cannot be replicated.

Boucher Hayes interviewed a phony and claims to have been given a telephone number by international telephone directories which amazingly took him to the phone number of this phony doctor for his interview "verifying" Pamela Izevbekhai's story thus enabling him to disclaim responsibility for being thus fooled. How convenient.
    So any check on the title/name & address attached to the telephone # (presuming he didn't ring a mobile)that he actually rang in Lagos to conduct the interview with the phony "doctor"; which can, I'm sure, be traced in the records; (which is obviously different and not the correct location as visited by the Garda officer) is neatly made into a nullity. How convenient.

Boucher Hayes goes on to assert that he had recontacted the "doctor" he first interviewed, ie,the phony, and been told by the "doctor" that he had been intimidated by a "Nigerian Army Captain".

You have to hand it to this guy he clearly has Oscar potential in dispensing with inconvenient truths.

Making "Sworn affidavits" is a very serious step to take.
    What it indicates to me is firstly an oversized ego of someone unable to process the information in his head that he has been fooled but much more serious an issue is the dogmatic adherence to an immigration agenda prevalent amongst his trendy right-on PC kind. The ideologues pursuing the multiculturalist agenda are willing to throw overboard any kind of journalistic ethics worth their name.

The ego side of him feeds off an overdose of a superior feel-good smugness over and against the "bigoted" and "prejudiced" attitudes of the hoi-polloi and the ideological face is of PCDom which must be seen as correct at all times. By these means they intend to leverage into position an oppressive all-knowing all-embracing, no hiding place State, dispensing with opposition and if truth is a casualty that's No Problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

He's much too smarmy and clever by half. Up there with the likes of Myles 'intelligent' Dungan. I have to turn both off as soon as I hear 'em pontificating. Urbi et Orbi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

He's much too smarmy and clever by half. Up there with the likes of Myles 'intelligent' Dungan. I have to turn both off as soon as I hear 'em pontificating. Urbi et Orbi.

I remember seeing Myles Dungan interview Alan Bennett in TCD around the time of the publications of his book "untold Stories". I was so disappointed to see Dungan read all his questions off cards, and never really engage with Bennett. I heard Bennett also interviewed around the same time by Mark Lawson on Front Row (BBD Radio4), and the interview was lively, entertaining, witty and a joy to listen to.

Comparing that to a bored looking Mylses Dungan reading pre prepared questions off cards, I've since then often been surprised with the wooded nature of Dungan's radio stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭iamskippy

I remember seeing Myles Dungan interview Alan Bennett in TCD around the time of the publications of his book "untold Stories". I was so disappointed to see Dungan read all his questions off cards, and never really engage with Bennett. I heard Bennett also interviewed around the same time by Mark Lawson on Front Row (BBD Radio4), and the interview was lively, entertaining, witty and a joy to listen to.

Comparing that to a bored looking Mylses Dungan reading pre prepared questions off cards, I've since then often been surprised with the wooded nature of Dungan's radio stuff.
    Pathetic - the funny thing is they do not even realise it. I would be embarrassed to carry on like that if i were a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Freddie_Turnill

deadhead13 wrote: »
    In 2005, RTE aired Boucher-Hayes interviewing a Dr Joseph Unokanjo, whose medical report claimed Pamela Izevbekhai's daughter died due to complications of female genital mutilation. He also made a sworn affidavit supporting Izevbekai's legal case. The document was later found to be a forgery.

The Boucher-Hayes's of this world who have achieved monopoly status in broadcasting, if not newspaper/magazine, are never troubled by being confronted about the inherent contradiction in their position.

On the one hand his types continually pose around being all morally superior about their being "one race, the human race", anti-"racist" "we are all the same under the skin" routines when it comes to policies smearing resistance to promoting the idea of multi-cultism but then on the other, as in the Pamela Izevbekhai case, they are enthusiastic promoters of the idea of barbarity being common and endemic in 3rd world countries so as to promote and excuse mass immigration of these people into the nations of Europe.
    If we looked for consistency in the multi-cults ideology we would be sorely disappointed as they don't rely on a superior argument to triumph but silence opposition to their agenda of changing the ethnic basis of European societies by intimidation in preventing debate on an equal playing field in public places.

Normally they square the circle by attaching a charge of some historic wrong perpetrated upon ethnic 3rd worlders by the evil white man (as we know slavery was a European invention carried out by no other race...) but in this specific case of child female genital mutilation (FGM) I can't see, even from within the Boucher-Hayes types, the promotion of the idea that FGM is some nasty Western plot which gives 3rd Worlders a legitimate claim to enter a functioning society where things work from a mal-dys-functional violent and corrupt but fast breeding one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭sataction

Can't see him getting a show full time, not objective enough always playing to the crowd. Probably spend the rest of his life filling in.

Have you noticed that nobody ever leaves RTE and so you have the same old voices all the time.

My god Mary Wilson was awful with Michael O' Leary today. AWFUL...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

My god Mary Wilson was awful with Michael O' Leary today. AWFUL...

the woman is overtly left wing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

She's just plain awful, painful to listen to in fact. I love how she tries to impart an air of authority in to her interviews whilst simultaneously managing to sound clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Can't listen to drivetime fullstop. Would have a mild preference for Mary over Philip, whose accent and smarm can be very annoying. That said drivetime is my 3rd or 4th choice for radio listening on the drive home.

Another tour de force by Mary wilson today. She was just embarrassing when she was second guessing that barrister over Trevor Sargent's supposed legal naivity.

She's a barrister herself I'm led to believe.

Just stop saying 'toltt' instead of 'told' Mary.

Ex court reporter, trying to big herself up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jasus she just cut off Joseph O'Connor as his wound his way to a no doubt elegant, elegaic conclusion to his piece on Wanderly Wagon and Eugene Lambert.

She is dying a bit today....

Advertisement