Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,202 ✭✭✭✭Water John

TomSweeney wrote: »
    OK good to know, so basically these trials going fine indicates a safe vaccine ?

the narcolepsy from the MERS vaccine, when did that appear ?

I think I'd want a link to back up that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Well, I think you are making covid more dangerous than it is there, for the vast majority it's mild, up to 40% don't even know they have it , as time goes on and more data comes in we see the IFR trending down.
    Vaccine trials are stopped if a single adverse reaction is found - that's out of 30,000 people.

Asymptomatic Covid - best stats I've seen is 18%. There has not been as many truly asymptomatic as people thought there may have been. There is more pre-symptomatic who when tested don't have symptoms, but they go on to develop them.

There was a really good Swiss study of Covid in Geneva which found an IFR of 0.14% in the 50-65 group, and 5.6% for those over 65. IFR is trending down only because our ability to treat it is getting better while ICUs are not overwhelmed, this is still a very dangerous disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

hmmm wrote: »
    Is the Oxford Chadox platform a one-shot deal? If you've immunised large numbers of people isn't your chimp adenovirus now useless? What's the long-term plan?

Was curious on this too, but its actually the opposite they are saying

The immune respone is guaranteed because the body has never seen it before from the chimp, but it's so foreign to the body that it sometimes responds too strong and tries to clear the vector

On the 2nd, 3rd, 4th dose its acts more like a booster and its more effective as the massive immune response is gone as it's seen before

Which explains the 62% first shot, 90% 2nd shot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

OK good to know, so basically these trials going fine indicates a safe vaccine ?

the narcolepsy from the MERS vaccine, when did that appear ?

There is no MERS vaccine, just some candidates in phase1 or 2 trials. None have reported any issues.

Narcolepsy was reported in some rare instances after one of the H1N1 swine flu vaccines got administered. H1N1 is quite notorious for causing the odd auto-immune reaction, 1976 was another one where some GBS cases were attributed to the H1N1 vaccine. Of note here is the fact that all those vaccines have been of the inactivated type (killed virus) and since the 2009 Pamdermix issues all Western companies seem to be staying well far away from that type. The inactivation process can sometimes be a little hit and miss. I think only China and India are trying this method against SARS-cov-2.

That said, any serious side effects from vaccination are exceedingly rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

There was a really good Swiss study of Covid in Geneva which found an IFR of 0.14% in the 50-65 group, and 5.6% for those over 65.

That's an incredible stat

Have you a source? Not doubting it (your strong record on this thread speaks for itself), I'd just like to read more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Hmmzis wrote: »
    There is no MERS vaccine, just some candidates in phase1 or 2 trials. None have reported any issues.

Narcolepsy was reported in some rare instances after one of the H1N1 swine flu vaccines got administered. H1N1 is quite notorious for causing the odd auto-immune reaction, 1976 was another one where some GBS cases were attributed to the H1N1 vaccine. Of note here is the fact that all those vaccines have been of the inactivated type (killed virus) and since the 2009 Pamdermix issues all Western companies seem to be staying well far away from that type. The inactivation process can sometimes be a little hit and miss. I think only China and India are trying this method against SARS-cov-2.

That said, any serious side effects from vaccination are exceedingly rare.

The Cambridge clinical trial doc Mark Toshner on a Twitter thread cited an incidence rate of 1/50k for narcolepsy in the H1N1 vaccine.

..and I was trying to work out the serious adverse reaction (including death) rates to HPV...that looks like a 1 in a million event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Voltex wrote: »
    The Cambridge clinical trial doc Mark Toshner on a Twitter thread cited an incidence rate of 1/50k for narcolepsy in the H1N1 vaccine.

..and I was trying to work out the serious adverse reaction (including death) rates to HPV...that looks like a 1 in a million event.

It's rare for a vacine to have any case of serious side effects and among those vacines the case extremely rare anyway.

Compare that to the odds of long covid or hospital.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    That's an incredible stat

Have you a source?
    It was in the Lancet - https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/laninf/PIIS1473-3099(20)30584-3.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

First off I just want to state I am in no way an anti vaxer, in fact I got the flu jab the same as every year, this year.
    Before myself and my family chose to get the vaccine:
    1) how do we know how long immunity will last
    2)how can we possibly tell the long term side effects (if any) that could occur due to taking this vaccine plus any boosters if required?
    Thanks.

lbj666 wrote: »
    It's rare for a vacine to have any case of serious side effects and among those vacines the case extremely rare anyway.

Compare that to the odds of long covid or hospital.

They're my thoughts on vaccines too. According to the most widely shared IFR rates for covid, I have a 0.02% or 1/5000 chance of dying if I contract the virus. But my chances of dying from an adverse reaction to the vaccine are at least 200 times less again. Its a no-brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

tom1ie wrote: »
    First off I just want to state I am in no way an anti vaxer, in fact I got the flu jab the same as every year, this year.
    2)how can we possibly tell the long term side effects (if any) that could occur due to taking this vaccine plus any boosters if required?
    Thanks.
    Read back a few posts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Russman

Thanks.

I don’t think answers to either are known right now.
    I’m taking the view that, I’m not vulnerable that I know of (touch wood !), so by the time I’ll be allowed get a vaccine there’ll be probably 6 more months of hopefully safe data.

0.0092 IFR, 20 - 49 age group

I have a greater chance of dieing in a car crash this year?

So if 1 million adults, 20 - 49 get Covid

92 will die

Where is the outrage?

Why do we have restaurants and businesses closed?

This is crazy if true

Thierry12 wrote: »
    0.0092 IFR, 20 - 49 age group

I have a greater chance of dieing in a car crash this year?

92 will die

Where is the outrage?

Why do we have restaurants and businesses closed?

This is crazy if true

C’mon, you know full we’ll it’s not just about deaths. Look at the scenes in ICUs across Europe, that’s why businesses are closed.

Thanks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/17/health/coronavirus-immunity.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Sinovac have reached their infection count in Brazil:

https://butantan.gov.br/noticias/vacina-do-butantan-chega-a-fase-final

Analysis to be published next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Thanks.

Hi tom1ie, how long does immunity from the flu vaccine last?

I mean immunity to the current strain in circulation not next years one? Given your answer to my first qustion, how do you time when in the flu season you get the flu vaccine?

Thierry12 wrote: »

92 will die

Where is the outrage?
    Because people aged 20 to 49 don't live in a bubble. They have families, they have parents and grandparents, they have family members who may be undergoing cancer treatment or taking immunosuppressants, they may be working in hospitals or nursing homes, they may be visiting hospitals or nursing homes.

The virus will inevitably travel from them into the 65+ group, or the vulnerable groups at all ages.

Dr. on CNN reckoned Oxford/AstraZenica vaccine would be more the world vaccine. Easier to make large amounts and currently being made in India and Brazil, cost $3/4. The counter implication being Pfizer and Moderna more in the US.

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »
    I don’t think answers to either are known right now.
    I’m taking the view that, I’m not vulnerable that I know of (touch wood !), so by the time I’ll be allowed get a vaccine there’ll be probably 6 more months of hopefully safe data.

Yeah absolutely however I’d just be thinking could this vaccine have a long term effect that we might not see until a year or so down the road.
    However reading back on some posts that seems highly unlikely.
    On the other hand the medical/pharmaceutical industry have been wrong before with thalidomide etc.
    (I know that’s not a vaccine).

Hi tom1ie, how long does immunity from the flu vaccine last?

I mean immunity to the current strain in circulation not next years one? Given your answer to my first qustion, how do you time when in the flu season you get the flu vaccine?

Immunity last one year right, but weakens as time goes on. When the new strain comes out you have to get a new vaccine.

I time getting the flu vaccine when I get my free flu voucher off work 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Anti vax on claire Byrne!! RTE need to fûck off!!

Water John wrote: »
    Dr. on CNN reckoned Oxford/AstraZenica vaccine would be more the world vaccine. Easier to make large amounts and currently being made in India and Brazil, cost $3/4. The counter implication being Pfizer and Moderna more in the US.

Could be right. They’ve committed to the low price worldwide until the pandemic is over and indefinitely for developing countries, I think they’ve said for “low and middle income” countries.

90% efficacy and stored in a regular fridge - what’s not to like.

If it needs an annual booster, so what? Lots of people have heath or risk issues that require a shot every 6/12 months.

Voltex wrote: »
    They're my thoughts on vaccines too. According to the most widely shared IFR rates for covid, I have a 0.02% or 1/5000 chance of dying if I contract the virus. But my chances of dying from an adverse reaction to the vaccine are at least 200 times less again. Its a no-brainer.
    I had a grandparent who discovered in old age that he had effectively a dead lung all his life probably because of TB. He never knew he had TB. That's what scares me about Covid on a personal level, what we're likely to discover that the disease has done in some people 10 or 20 years down the line.

A vaccine to me is again a no-brainer. The small risk is balanced against the much larger risk from Covid.

Because people aged 20 to 49 don't live in a bubble. They have families, they have parents and grandparents, they have family members who may be undergoing cancer treatment or taking immunosuppressants, they may be working in hospitals or nursing homes, they may be visiting hospitals or nursing homes.

The virus will inevitably travel from them into the 65+ group, or the vulnerable groups at all ages.

True

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Anti vax on claire Byrne!! RTE need to fûck off!!

They’ll come round when they try to book a flight to Spain next summer.

Yeah absolutely however I’d just be thinking could this vaccine have a long term effect that we might not see until a year or so down the road.
    However reading back on some posts that seems highly unlikely.
    On the other hand the medical/pharmaceutical industry have been wrong before with thalidomide etc.
    (I know that’s not a vaccine).

Thalidomide was 60 years ago. Our knowledge and safety regulations have improved quite a bit since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I had a grandparent who discovered in old age that he had effectively a dead lung all his life probably because of TB. He never knew he had TB. That's what scares me about Covid on a personal level, what we're likely to discover that the disease has done in some people 10 or 20 years down the line.

A vaccine to me is again a no-brainer. The small risk is balanced against the much larger risk from Covid.

Sooner the better in my view. I am happy to be in the first group getting the vaccine.

I hope that they will be able to stamp my vaccination booklet as I expect it will be linked to travel for many countries similar to yellow fever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement