Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gone with the Wind Cancelled

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's called acting.

It’s in relatively poor taste, especially knowing there’s a wide base of Latino actors who could fulfill the role.

Sort of like Ghost in the Shell with Scarlett Johansson. Now, I can defend this one a sliver, because the character is Asian but the Shell is American or can at least be anything the person wants in the fictional universe. That said, people broadly panned it and I can see why they were frustrated with it. The movie itself was nothing to write home about, it was okay but didn’t really do much to build on the world just a live action facsimile of the original work.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

faceman wrote: »
    Have a think about what you just wrote and what you are accepting by saying it.

Can you expand on that?

Perhaps, but they didn't "create" it. A statement like that just displays an utterly woeful grasp of human history.

I agree. It’s been around longer than record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You’re off your rocker. And racist. Byeeeeeeeeee!

"I've been proven to be a stinking hypocrite who can't respond rationally because I'm wrong" would be a more apt reply.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Perhaps, but they didn't "create" it. A statement like that just displays an utterly woeful grasp of human history.

I’m quite familiar with history. Racism while it has existed in different forms for thousands of years, is a modern concept where it became an organised trade in the 1400s when Europeans used Africans as slaves.

It is accepted that racism in the last 500 years by whites against non whites has had a far more significant impact on history than any other form of racism

But none of this is relevant to this discussion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,063 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I’m quite familiar with history. Racism while it has existed in different forms for thousands of years, is a modern concept where it became an organised trade in the 1400s when Europeans used Africans as slaves.

It is accepted that racism in the last 500 years by whites against non whites has had a far more significant impact on history than any other form of racism

White people still didn't "create" it, however, and to suggest such a thing is simply wrong.

In addition, the ideas of race and differences in race, including the concept of superiority go back beyond the last 500 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

joe40 wrote: »
    Yeah Avatar was an allegory for environmental destruction. That was very clear, it was openly talked about by the director.

I didn't get the same idea from Alien but maybe you're right, just more subtle.

Going very off topic, IMO thought there was a clear anti-capitalism/anti-exploitation message (not really environmentalism).

The giant company that appears to own & run everything of value in the world (the ships, the colonies, all the advanced technology) is setting up the conflicts between the humans and aliens in the films (I think?) for its own purposes.

It is using everyone [the ship crews, colonists, prisoners etc] as expendible pawns while they scramble get hold of these aliens/the dna etc. to make money off them/develop them as weapons etc.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it though :confused: and it is a long time since I watched Alien or Aliens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Dont see what your ancestors have to do with this. What is important is what you do, as you are the one alive today. Being neutral on issues like this is positioning racism as acceptable. "Nice white people can still be racist" as Robin DiAngelo said. The status quo is modern life is racism.
    What do you expect from white people to 'stop the racism'?
    1)'taking a knee' and apologize?
    2)don't arrest blacks if they are committing/suspects of committing a crime?
    3)make 'blacks only' pubs/restaurants/cinemas?

What exactly?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

na1 wrote: »
    What do you expect from white people to 'stop the racism'?
    1)'taking a knee' and apologize?
    2)don't arrest blacks if they are committing/suspects of committing a crime?
    3)make 'blacks only' pubs/restaurants/cinemas?

What exactly?

Where’s your manners? Is that really how you ask your question? I suggest you go educate yourself. It’s not up to me to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

People are now destroying a Palestinian immigrant's business in Minneapolis because one of his many children tweeted vile things in 2012 when she was 14 before she was even employed at the shop. Now, the estate agent where the store was located is "exercising its right to terminate the lease". Several cost co stores have pulled their hummus product from their shelves. This is a big loss considering cost co being big stores. Im not condoning the anti-Semitic slurs, but this was a child, (who should have known better) BUT to go after the father and his business for something his daughter did at 14, before worked there, its pathetic

https://forward.com/news/national/448382/the-ceo-of-holy-land-hummus-i-know-doesnt-match-the-social-media-monster/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Where’s your manners? Is that really how you ask your question? I suggest you go educate yourself. It’s not up to me to tell you.

You’ve been nothing short of a disgrace on this thread since you started posting. I’ve lost count of how many posters you’ve called “racist” and of course you’re let away with it while others are carded for arguing against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The modding on this thread leaves a lot to be desired.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Overheal wrote: »
    Land O’Lakes was responsible for the trail of tears? :confused:

The lake in question is on the Red Lake Ojibwe reservation. The artist (himself of that tribe) drew Mia as an Ojibwe woman in front of the lake, which is apparently specifically identifiable as that lake by the locals. (I don't see it myself, it seems fairly generic, but maybe an Objibwe would connect Mia and the backdrop).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

You do know it was Africans that set up the Slave trade dont you? a trade which still exists in Africa and the middles East. It is no excuse but the europeans where late to the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Hunky Monster once again you are attacking posters instead of their posts. Do not post in this thread again

You’ve been nothing short of a disgrace on this thread since you started posting. I’ve lost count of how many posters you’ve called “racist” and of course you’re let away with it while others are carded for arguing against you.

Thank you, finally someone said it.

My behaviour on this thread has been less than savoury, and anyone familiar with my posting style will know its very uncharacteristic.

I did it on purpose to prove a point. I knew that people would think my position as a mod would be interpreted as receiving preferential treatment. While many things I said on the topic are true, I was said things that suited the agenda of what I was trying to say. Re-writing history if you will.

Therefore when I said offensive things to you and others, you felt it was unfair and you were being treated less favourably than me. I expect some of my posts were reported and maybe or maybe not action was taken. But to you and the others, I continued to post, unscathed. Its interested in a thread giving out about censorship that when someone comes along with an opposing view and reaction, that my posts were reported and, as you said, my behaviour disgusting,

All of this is an analogy for white privilege, equity, fairness and equality.

I'm bowing out from here, Ive made my point.

FWIW, I don't agree with the TV shows or movies being pulled. But I am listening to the reasons as to why to better educate myself on why it's an issue. Everyone should.

Thank you, finally someone said it.

My behaviour on this thread has been less than savoury, and anyone familiar with my posting style will know its very uncharacteristic.

I did it on purpose to prove a point. I knew that people would think my position as a mod would be interpreted as receiving preferential treatment. While many things I said on the topic are true, I was said things that suited the agenda of what I was trying to say. Re-writing history if you will.

Therefore when I said offensive things to you and others, you felt it was unfair and you were being treated less favourably than me. I expect some of my posts were reported and maybe or maybe not action was taken. But to you and the others, I continued to post, unscathed. Its interested in a thread giving out about censorship that when someone comes along with an opposing view and reaction, that my posts were reported and, as you said, my behaviour disgusting,

All of this is an analogy for white privilege, equity, fairness and equality.

I'm bowing out from here, Ive made my point.

FWIW, I don't agree with the TV shows or movies being pulled. But I am listening to the reasons as to why to better educate myself on why it's an issue. Everyone should.

So let me get this straight.

You were trolling.

Multiple cards were handed out for being “uncivil”, myself included, I got two. For being “uncivil”. Literally calling you out for calling everyone on here a racist.

So what action are mods going to take on this BLATENT AND ADMITTED trolling? Meanwhile I’ve two cards for nothing along with other posters.

Of course nothing will be done, you purposely trolled this whole thread and because you’re a mod you’ll be let off while the rest of us now have warnings and cards.

Hunky Monster once again you are attacking posters instead of their posts. Do not post in this thread again

Saw this after.

G’luck.

And great job mods.

Wow

So people would be upset if mods had Qualified Immunity? Hmm. Hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

1) There is no point talking to people who have been threadbanned. In fact its unfair to do so because they have no ability to respond.

2) Faceman has received a red card and is also thread banned.

3) If someone is trolling and you attack them, you have attacked a poster. DO NOT ATTACK OTHER POSTERS - ATTACK THEIR POSTS. If you have a problem with another poster, report the posts.

4) Get back on topic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Hunky Monster, your card was for attacking the poster (accusation of racism). The mod in question also got a red card for doing the same thing - post 372

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Joe Columbo

Overheal wrote: »
    So people would be upset if mods had Qualified Immunity? Hmm. Hmm.

And what has that got to do with anything?

This thread is about censorship it has got nothing to do with qualified immunity.

Hunky Monster, your card was for attacking the poster (accusation of racism). The mod in question also got a red card for doing the same thing - post 372

But the mod in question only got a red card retrospectly after they admitted to personally abusing people and saying they were leaving the thread. So it didn't really matter at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

JeffKenna wrote: »
    But the mod in question only got a red card retrospectly after they admitted to personally abusing people and saying they were leaving the thread. So it didn't really matter at that stage.

Mod actions arent up for discussion on this thread. Take it to PM with us.

I wont say again to get back on topic.

And what has that got to do with anything?

This thread is about censorship it has got nothing to do with qualified immunity.

Suppose it was more relevant to the tangent it was on than the whole. Apologies, will be back on topic.

Cream of Wheat was another brand I don’t think had been mentioned ITT. They are removing depictions from their brand. This isn’t a recent brand photo but informs the origins of it, to house help.

mghl_wheat-8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The singing of 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot' by english rugby fans is under review by the RFU, for cultural appropriation reasons, or because it was originally sung by a former slave,
    Former England hooker Brian Moore may have landed himself in hot water after saying “It can go for me; I hate it,”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

kowloon wrote: »
    I wish people were this upset about restriction of freedom of speech every time the US tightens the noose on the internet.

If only. The lockdown has proved just how tight this noose can go.

Now the cultural revolution is looking to squeeze until no air can get through.
    “We cannot separate the air that chokes from the air upon which wings beat.”
    John Perry Barlow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

2u2me wrote: »
    If only. The lockdown has proved just how tight this noose can go.

Now the cultural revolution is looking to squeeze until no air can get through.

John Perry Barlow

Are you objecting to the lockdown restrictions. They were for public health reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

joe40 wrote: »
    Are you objecting to the lockdown restrictions. They were for public health reasons.

I'm objecting to how much censorship happened on the internet during that time.

Advertisement