Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gone with the Wind Cancelled

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,921 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's corporate censorship.

I paid for Netflix to watch those shows that have been pulled.Netflix have now decided I'm not allowed to watch them.

Sue them if you feel injured :rolleyes:

While that's just a figure of speech it was only a matter of time until the pressure gangs began manipulating and coercing the brand into submission. They were ahead of the curve were able to come out looking virtuose, controlling the damage to the brand, rather than to be sought out by the mob and destroyed.

They removed in the Native American girl but forgot to give back the land. How dare they appropriate stolen lands. The outrage. :cool:

Land O’Lakes was responsible for the trail of tears? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

faceman wrote: »
    Like I said already. As while people we have the privilege or being able to opt in or opt out of racial discussions. Black people don’t. Choosing to not watch it is still accepting it and brushing aside racism

Me or my ancestors never ever discriminated or anyhow abused any black person.

I'm white, and now you are stating that ALL whites are oppressing blacks?

If this is not racist comment that what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Racism was created by white people...

Wait, what?

Racism has always existed among every culture. There isn't a single country on the planet that doesn't have issues with racism. Putting the entirety of racism on the heads of whites is not only wrongheaded, it's downright dangerous.

Racism wasn't "created by white people". It's been there, in every race, for as long as human beings have been around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Lol, Things are going peak sensitive, what a crap time to live in.
    517009.jpg

The state of this kip

• Advertisement

What "outdated" attitudes does 'Aliens' have?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Lol, Things are going peak sensitive, what a crap time to live in.
    517009.jpg

I thought that has to be a photoshop. It’s not :D

Same for Gone With The Wind now (where it wasn’t there before).

517011.jpeg

People who are offended by a single sentence, mocking people who are offended by outdated depictions. You couldn't make up the level of irony people are displaying here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Nermal wrote: »
    Brigading corporations into removing, altering or putting a disclaimer on content is censorship, just as much as if it was mandated by law.

Where did this stupid idea come from that only governments can censor?

Corporations make their own decisions. They may try to gauge public opinion but ultimately they will decide for themselves.

We are living in a time with very little censorship, that is good. If companies want to put up warnings, even if I think they're a bit stupid it won't bother me.

People spreading hysteria about burning books, erasing history is just non sense.

We have always had social norms that ebb and change, there is nothing new happening.

You might as well just put that "message" on the front of everything that was made before 2015.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »

Nowadays literally any film can be considered 'offensive' by some group of people.
    It just a matter of how strong & organised that group is.
    If they can start riots & violent attacks, then they have a chance to ban a certain category of the films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Joe Columbo

It's a blatant promotion of colonialism by having the Humans as the good guys and the aliens as the bad guys even though it's happening outer space.The humans had no right to go into outer space we should ahve left the aliens to live their lives on peace.

James Cameron should be ashamed of himself.

White Chicks on Sky, of course carries the same message..........Sky are sooooo 'right on'.

You might as well just put that "message" on the front of everything that was made before 2015.

its just a matter of who is offended. The notorious Charlie Hebdo is still operating, but they will be shut down immediately if they start making racist jokes.

Off the top of my head.....probably Vasquez getting a dig from Hudson about about 'when she heard alien, she though they said illegal alien' etc

Plus the mob probably aren't happy with a Goldstein portraying an apparently ethnic character.

It's a blatant promotion of colonialism by having the Humans as the good guys and the aliens as the bad guys even though it's happening outer space.The humans had no right to go into outer space we should ahve left the aliens to live their lives on peace.

The word 'alien' is abusive by itself.
    They should be called 'non solar system Americans'!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Ha...funny you say that. Humanity or a section of it are a major antagonist in that (and other Alien films) looking to exploit/profit from dangerous creatures that should be left well alone.

He did make Avatar also...(much more explicit with painting humanity as the colonisers/"space invaders"/exploiters than Aliens/Alien).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Joe Columbo

People who are offended by a single sentence, mocking people who are offended by outdated depictions. You couldn't make up the level of irony people are displaying here.

Except that nobody is offended by the disclaimer.

Criticising something is not the same as being offended by something.

Except that nobody is offended by the disclaimer.

Criticising something is not the same as being offended by something.
    Sure buddy, sure. It's 'criticism' not offense and outrage.

Criticism implies a certain level of intellectual rigour and nuance that no-one has displayed on this thread, but by all means people are welcome to continue in their self-delusion.

Exactly, talk about outrage culture. None of those films have been banned what is the actual problem?

I admit I don't know what the issue with Aliens is but at the same time that statement will have no affect on my enjoyment of the movie.

• Advertisement

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Ha...funny you say that. Humanity or a section of it are a major antagonist in that (and other Alien films) looking to exploit/profit from dangerous creatures that should be left well alone.

He did make Avatar also...(much more explicit with painting humanity as the colonisers/"space invaders"/exploiters than Aliens/Alien).

Yeah Avatar was an allegory for environmental destruction. That was very clear, it was openly talked about by the director.

I didn't get the same idea from Alien but maybe you're right, just more subtle.

That though would have the opposite affect in terms of these "warnings"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It was also on Aladdin that was made last year.
    517013.jpg

Come on, even those trying to defend this stuff have to admit it has gone too far.

joe40 wrote: »
    Exactly, talk about outrage culture. None of those films have been banned what is the actual problem?

I admit I don't know what the issue with Aliens is but at the same time that statement will have no affect on my enjoyment of the movie.

It'll have no affect on most people's, I'm sure. But there is a level of talking down to folk going on here that will have a lot of them rolling their eyes...and quite rightly too.

Sure, all the pre-emptive hair pulling about "banning" 'Gone With the Wind' was a bit silly, but that still doesn't take away a serious shortcoming in the pearl clutching attitudes that some have with regards to entertainment media. While I don't envisage 'Gone With the Wind' getting banned any time soon, It also doesn't need an explanation, or a disclaimer, or a word of warning either. There isn't anyone watching that film thinking life was fine for black people in the south of the 1860's. So, the unnecessary worry about that comes across as ridiculous.

But more ridiculous is a corporation's "need" to talk down to their audience like they're a bunch of fools or to put out silly disclaimers to salve the (imagined) ire of any black people that might watch it which, frankly, comes across as glibness in its most egregious form.

But this whole debacle is absolutely absurd, especially when a film like 'Aliens', which has a female in the lead role, a black guy as the leader of a military operation and speaks against rampant corporatism, is in the firing line. To me, using that yardstick, everything is in the firing line, which makes the whole exercise utterly pointless.

517013.jpg

Come on, even those trying to defend this stuff have to admit it has gone too far.

Yeah that is going overboard. Unlike others I don't have a problem with the idea, but if implemented in a ham fisted way like this it will be counter productive.

"Gone with the wind" has been controversial for a long and I have no problem with its "statement" for want of a better world.

"black face" has a particularly racist and offensive history.

Over doing it like this will take away from legitimate instances.

Again though nothing has been cancelled. Might be silly but hardly the societal collapse that some are suggesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It's none of your business what people want to watch, red or listen to, what part of this don't you understand.

Awww, did I upset you? That's not an argument either pal
    na1 wrote: »
    Me or my ancestors never ever discriminated or anyhow abused any black person.

I'm white, and now you are stating that ALL whites are oppressing blacks?

If this is not racist comment that what it is?

Dont see what your ancestors have to do with this. What is important is what you do, as you are the one alive today. Being neutral on issues like this is positioning racism as acceptable. "Nice white people can still be racist" as Robin DiAngelo said. The status quo is modern life is racism.
    Wait, what?

Racism has always existed among every culture. There isn't a single country on the planet that doesn't have issues with racism. Putting the entirety of racism on the heads of whites is not only wrongheaded, it's downright dangerous.

Racism wasn't "created by white people". It's been there, in every race, for as long as human beings have been around.

Have a think about what you just wrote and what you are accepting by saying it.

As much as Aliens is one of my favourite war movies, the character Vasquez is Latino but played by a white woman. They changed her skin colour with make up to make her look Latino. That wouldn't happen nowadays thankfully. One critic reviewed the previous film, Alien, by saying "Alien a movie where nobody listens to the smart woman, and they all die except for the smart woman and her cat. Four stars"

I knew Al Matthews, he played Apone in Aliens. We had many a beer together. He passed away sadly a few years ago. He had a lot to say about the topic of racism in culture.

Have a think about what you just wrote and what you are accepting by saying it.

YOU have a think about what you wrote. Putting the entirety of racism on the heads of white is people is, frankly, stupid.

White people did not "create racism".

517013.jpg

I mean, yes, but also I am very reluctant to watch that movie knowing how cringe it will be.

Better example is Avatar called out for “white savior complex” - that’s getting really abstract.

YOU have a think about what you wrote. Putting the entirety of racism on the heads of white is people is, frankly, stupid.

White people did not "create racism".

No they just won at it :)

the character Vasquez is Latino but played by a white woman.

It's called acting.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    No they just won at it :)

Perhaps, but they didn't "create" it. A statement like that just displays an utterly woeful grasp of human history.

Advertisement