Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Song Sung By A Woman.

Options

Comments

When do you want all the votes in by?
    I'm running behind now, can catch up Fri & Sat

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Niska wrote: »
    Can only think of three (omissions) - no Corrs, Aimee Mann or Fiona Apple.

Pavlov's Bell just missed the cut for my nominations. A cracking song.

bubblypop wrote: »
    When do you want all the votes in by?
    I'm running behind now, can catch up Fri & Sat

There’s a good few that are playing catch-up so I’m not gonna rush anybody. I’ll probably start PMing in the middle of next week to remind you judges of the parts you’ve still to vote on.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That song was one of my favourite discoveries of the the tournament. :D

The song in question being
    Liz Phair - Flower

Fair play to whoever nominated that one

Well it wasn't really meant to be a proper nomination, more a "I should nominate this for the laugh" inclusion. :D. However I rushed my list at the last minute and there were a couple of spaces left, so it seems it made it in. That said, I think it's a great song so I'm glad it was included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,372 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I was hoping that someone else might of nominated Meredith Brooks with Bitch, that was one I ended up forgetting about.

I also regret not nominating Half by PVRIS.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'm sorry that Promise Me by Beverly Craven didn't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

Pavlov's Bell just missed the cut for my nominations. A cracking song.

Would have scored that highly -was one of the songs she sang on Buffy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

WARNING! WARNING!

A certain song in this part may be best listened to with headphones on or when you're on your own. You may get strange looks from your work colleagues if its playing in the background whilst you're on a zoom meeting. And god knows what your teenage kids will think you're up to if they hear the words :D

If it's the long version of
    "Loving You by Minne Ripperton"
    I was going to nominate that myself.

Also trying to think of any obvious/surprising omissions. (Also, after Worst Song Ever was half expecting Jan Terri to show up. Also also just received a new box of italics...)

Fiona Apple won my shortlist too, she always seems to miss the cut with these (Criminal didn't get a nod for best 90's or 'One Hit Wonder' song).

The album she released very recently, Fetch The Bolt Cutters, is excellent. This is my favourite track from it, and probably my favourite she's ever done; it's a pretty intense song so I reckon it might divide opinion:

Otherwise the biggest omission from me is probably Sharon Van Etten; if this competition was held in a year's time or so I'd probably have nominated Seventeen but at the time I just felt it was a bit too recent to make the cut.

Was happy that someone nominated Lana Del Rey, though again it's a very recent song that has become my favourite of hers and like Seventeen would have made my final list if a little more time had passed:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

No Whigfield or Aqua is a travesty. I thought you lot appreciated the classics

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Otherwise the biggest omission from me is probably Sharon Van Etten; if this competition was held in a year's time or so I'd probably have nominated Seventeen but at the time I just felt it was a bit too recent to make the cut.

Was happy that someone nominated Lana Del Rey, though again it's a very recent song that has become my favourite of hers and like Seventeen would have made my final list if a little more time had passed:

I was gonna nominate Seventeen too but it just missed out. I regret not including it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

There’s a good few that are playing catch-up so I’m not gonna rush anybody. I’ll probably start PMing in the middle of next week to remind you judges of the parts you’ve still to vote on.

I definitely need to get a move on, I've only finished up to Playlist 8 and barely made a dent into Playlist 9. Plus I haven't started listening to the songs in Necro's game yet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,368 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i'm pretty sure i forgot to nominate these 2 songs. if anyone played cod zombies (from black ops) you should remember them:

they definitely wouldn't be everyone cuppa tea! im on list 9 now, so they may turn up?

Round 10

Score #
    20 8
    18 2
    16 1
    14 2
    12 4
    10 4
    8 1
    6 2
    4 0
    2 0
    0 2

Lisa Gerard song was good, sounds vaguely familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,372 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

ShaneU wrote: »
    Round 10

Lisa Gerard song was good, sounds vaguely familiar.

If you've ever seen Gladiator you would of heard it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Also trying to think of any obvious/surprising omissions. (Also, after Worst Song Ever was half expecting Jan Terri to show up. Also also just received a new box of italics...)

I'm pretty sure there was no Kylie there. Not a particular fan, but was surprised not to see any nominations.

No Alison Moyet. Heard her in the car the other day and thought 'Damn it, should have put her in'

I missed the nominations, & am catching up on rounds, but I seriously hope someone nominated Janelle Monae

Amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,368 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

anyone nominate this! what a tune!!! its finda funny as well

• Advertisement

Part 14

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOF8MMEgcF4na8CL50y_dHB15GnmaBdje

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1xORvrz7cVV6iAE5NaznzF?si=-sdVSA0BRCO3qlfZIAfRzA

Nobody Does It Better - Carly Simon
    Sand in my shoes - Dido
    Save Me - Lacuna Coil
    Satellite - Lena
    In For The Kill - La Roux
    Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves - Cher
    Dad - Neele Ternes
    Gloria - Laura Brannigan
    Cannonball - The Breeders
    Mercedes Benz - Janis Joplin
    Ghosts - ladytron
    Atomic - Blondie
    Lost without you - Freya Ridings
    Love Shack - B-52s
    What's love got to do with it - Tina Turner
    Hurt - Christina Aquelira
    If I Knew You Were Comin' I'd Have Baked A Cake - Eileen Barton
    Manic Monday - The Bangles
    Love and Affection - Joan Armatrading
    Helpless - Kim Weston
    Counting Down The Days - Natalie Imbruglia
    Never forget you - Noisettes
    Ex's & Oh's - Elle King
    Missing You - Everything But the Girl
    Eperdu - Elizabeth Fraser (Cocteau Twins)
    I'd Rather Go Blind - Etta James
    Vogue - Madonna
    I don’t know - Lisa Hannigan
    I will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
    Bring the Rain - Judie Tzuke
    Show me Heaven - Maria McKee
    Bachelorette - Bjork

That's them all folks.

35 boardsies nominated a total of 373 different songs.

1 song received 6 nominations.
    3 songs received 5 nominations.
    2 songs received 4 nominations.
    15 songs received 3 nominations.
    44 songs received 2 nominations.
    1 song was disqualified. Don't stop believin by Journey doesn't have a hint of female vocals.

2 artists have 9 different songs.
    1 artist have 6 different songs.
    5 artists have 5 different songs.
    5 artists have 4 different songs.
    17 artists have 3 different songs.
    40 artists have 2 different songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Great work Strawbs :)

4 still to get through myself but hoping it won't take me too long

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Up to part 8 now.

Part 6 was.... rough to get through, ngl.

I have a judge that won’t have the time to finish scoring the list. They have 7 parts completed which as far as I’m concerned means they have put in the work.

So, averages, how am I doing that?

1) Average of that judges scores so far?
    2) Average of the combined scores of all the other players for that song?
    3) is there another obvious way I’m haven’t thought of?

There are 25 judges so majority rule applies. 13 of you agree with how to average score then that’s what we go with. That ok with everyone?

I have a judge that won’t have the time to finish scoring the list. They have 7 parts completed which as far as I’m concerned means they have put in the work.

So, averages, how am I doing that?

1) Average of that judges scores so far?
    2) Average of the combined scores of all the other players for that song?
    3) is there another obvious way I’m haven’t thought of?

There are 25 judges so majority rule applies. 13 of you agree with how to average score then that’s what we go with. That ok with everyone?

I don't do Maths good, can someone give an example of what Option 1 and Option 2 would mean...

giphy.gif

I don't do Maths good, can someone give an example of what Option 1 and Option 2 would mean...

giphy.gif

1) The judge in question has given an average of, eg: 12 points for the songs they have scored so far. Do we score 12 points to everything they haven't got the time to judge?

2) A song has received an average score of, eg: 9 points when combining the scores of the other 24 judges for that song.

1) The judge in question has given an average of, eg: 12 points for the songs they have scored so far. Do we score 12 points to everything they haven't got the time to judge?

2) A song has received an average score of, eg: 9 points when combining the scores of the other 24 judges for that song.

I think maybe Option 1 then, 12 points or whatever in the grand scheme shouldn't make a huge difference, if 24 other people are distributing votes. Otherwise it kind of diminishes the work the rest of us put in to rating them, from how I see it (and I still don't really get it) if we went option 2.

Right now my vote would be for Option 1, but if people who are more mathematically inclined generally agree that the other is the better one, then I may change it, but 1 sound good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'd give every song an average score

For the first 7 rounds that sounds like an average across 25 scores. For the last 7 an average across 24. I'd say there's a chance the last couple of rounds might be missing another set of results or two so that still works...

• Advertisement

Advertisement