Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers to be paid full pay whilst schools closed - Rest of us €305 pw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭onrail

S.G.M. wrote: »
    Maybe you should try and get a job that pays you when they are forced to close down for a set period of time.

Our office and various sites have been closed for the last week. I’ve been working from home clearing backlog and charging legitimate time to clients as appropriate. If I don’t work I don’t get paid.

That’s what real jobs involve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Sums up the teaching profession in Ireland .

In the UK teachers are staying in work to teach and look after the children of workers on the front line or essential services . Teachers here would go on strike if they were asked to do that .

Teachers here are offering contact tracing etc. I'm unaware of a scheme where we can volunteer to look after the children of childcare workers? I'd absolutely jump at that and imagine many would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

onrail wrote:
    Our office and various sites have been closed for the last week. I’ve been working from home clearing backlog and charging legitimate time to clients as appropriate. If I don’t work I don’t get paid.

Do you mean the way that a load of teachers are working from home?
    I'm sure there's loads in your profession that aren't doing a tap at home. Every profession has that.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

All I know is I am now teaching my child at home due to school closure and afterschool closure...

And

Aso working remotely full-time at home too.

Its no one's fault, it's a crisis. Many people are fortunate to still be getting a pay cheque. Not just teachers.

So parents are double jobbing as a result and neither the child or the job is getting the attention it requires!

But

Teachers do have the benefit of being able to teach their children at home... And then many teachers don't have children.

So with all these considerations in mind, I would love to see teachers and their unions step up, after the doctors, nurses, shop workers and lorry drivers, and agree to summer school for the lost classes of 2020. And I will have respect for them if they do that. No excuses, no union party lines. It will simply not be acceptable that the Dept of Education decide 'ara just forget this year and start in September'.

Some teachers will be up for it, others not, that's life!

The online solutions are alot of work to plan out and to be honest its the in-class learning and peer discussion that makes the difference. So I'm not so bothered with all the zooms and skypes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

onrail wrote: »

So when you do it it’s work. But when teachers do for some reason it isn’t?

You just sound bitter.

• Advertisement

Seriously?

Yes seriously. I'm obviously having comprehension difficulties. Enlighten me.

You just sound bitter.

It's brilliant to see how much this rises people. Teachers have done nothing wrong and bitter people are losing their **** lol

I'm sure there's loads in your profession that aren't doing a tap at home. Every profession has that.

Nope. Back in the real world, every hour of our day has to be accounted for and charged to a task and project. Every hour that’s charged must have an associated deliverable produced.
    Sure, there are those who are more productive than others, but you won’t get away with dossing for too long before being sacked. In the real world.

onrail wrote:
    Nope. Back in the real world, every hour of our day has to be accounted for and charged to a task and project. Every hour that’s charged must have an associated deliverable produced. Sure, there are those who are more productive than others, but you won’t get away with dossing for too long before being sacked. In the real world.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha best get back to work then.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

LilyShame wrote: »
    All I know is I am now teaching my child at home due to school closure and afterschool closure...

And

Aso working remotely full-time at home too.

Its no one's fault, it's a crisis. Many people are fortunate to still be getting a pay cheque. Not just teachers.

So parents are double jobbing as a result and neither the child or the job is getting the attention it requires!

But

Teachers do have the benefit of being able to teach their children at home... And then many teachers don't have children.

So with all these considerations in mind, I would love to see teachers and their unions step up, after the doctors, nurses, shop workers and lorry drivers, and agree to summer school for the lost classes of 2020. And I will have respect for them if they do that. No excuses, no union party lines. It will simply not be acceptable that the Dept of Education decide 'ara just forget this year and start in September'.

Some teachers will be up for it, others not, that's life!

The online solutions are alot of work to plan out and to be honest its the in-class learning and peer discussion that makes the difference. So I'm not so bothered with all the zooms and skypes.

Well if that’s the case we would want to know now. If I’m supposed to teach during June and July then I won’t bother doing anything at all now.

If I can provide evidence that I am remotely assisting learning to the best of my ability and resources then I don’t see why I should be made work the summer months.

Can’t have it both ways.

• Advertisement

So when you do it it’s work. But when teachers do for some reason it isn’t?

You just sound bitter.

I’ve said before that I’ve no problem whatsoever with teachers who are working right now. They deserve to be paid.

Those who don’t work (and there are loads) don’t deserve to be paid, but the system has no means to hold them accountable. It’s a joke, and so far removed from reality it’s hilarious.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha best get back to work then.

Best get back to your wine son.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭mulbot

A friend of mine lives in Finland. Today she sent us a short video of her 2 boys "in school" while they are shut down. Their teachers are using a video calling system where the teacher is required to start online classes at a set time and finish at a set time, therefore ensuring hours are being kept and class schedules are followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Yes seriously. I'm obviously having comprehension difficulties. Enlighten me.

You are probably beyond enlightening at this stage but I'll give it a shot.

You are effectively saying that you are not prepared to work any extra time in the job that you are getting still paid for. This, even though the country is in crisis and many are going well above and beyond the call of duty and putting themselves in physical danger for us.

Have I got that correct?

And you don't see anything wrong with that???

Teach30 wrote: »
    Well if that’s the case we would want to know now. If I’m supposed to teach during June and July then I won’t bother doing anything at all now.

If I can provide evidence that I am remotely assisting learning to the best of my ability and resources then I don’t see why I should be made work the summer months.

Can’t have it both ways.

How about a reduced hours schedule for Summer? Would you agree to that?

If I’m supposed to teach during June and July then I won’t bother doing anything at all now.

I'm sorry, but this is an absolute disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

You are effectively saying that you are not prepared to work any extra time in the job that you are getting still paid for. This, even though the country is in crisis and many are going well above and beyond the call of duty and putting themselves in physical danger for us.

Have I got that correct?

You’re not even working now so not sure why you think you have the moral high ground.

You’re the sponger, at least that other teacher is doing their best.

Neck like a jockey’s bollox springs to mind.

onrail wrote: »
    I’ve said before that I’ve no problem whatsoever with teachers who are working right now. They deserve to be paid.

Those who don’t work (and there are loads ) don’t deserve to be paid, but the system has no means to hold them accountable. It’s a joke, and so far removed from reality it’s hilarious.

I agree with you that those who are wilfully refusing to work don't deserve to be paid, and I'm not sure what consequences if any, they will face. All teachers however have contracts and are bound by the teaching council's code of professional conduct. Those of us making efforts to meet our teaching obligations can prove we have done so.... what can those who decided to "down tools" show? Nothing. I would like to think that those who are so damaging to our profession be held accountable, however like you, I doubt this will be the case.

I do think though that this is not a problem confined to our profession. It is apparent in most jobs private and public. Just look at the work problems board here to see that there are people getting away with this every day in both sectors. For some reason though teachers in particular raise people's ire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Why do teachers get all this fuss they do **** all and are overpaid as is, most of em would keel over if they actually had to do a days work...I'm not talking sit down and read off a page I'm talking actual hard work... Oh and ps you don't get half the year off either from those jobs.

Half the year off with a decent wage and still whinging, soft as **** job.

They should be damn grateful to have such a good job with decent pay and alot of off time , case of much wants more with this lot

You’re not even working now so not sure why you think you have the moral high ground.

You’re the sponger, at least that other teacher is doing their best.

Neck like a jockey’s bollox springs to mind.

I don't have the tools nor skills to "work" now.

Would you like to address my points as opposed to attacking me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Am I completely missing something here? You've admitted that you're not doing any work and you're attacking teachers who are working?

You clearly 'work' in a sh1t school with particularly useless colleagues so go and crawl back under your rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Why? I’m currently stressing myself out trying to assist in students learning. I do not live in an appropriate environment to assist in remote learning but I am trying my best.

If I was told I had to teach during June and July grand no problem. It would save me so much hardship right now. I don’t see why I should suffer both though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Cupatae wrote: »
    Why do teachers get all this fuss they do **** all and are overpaid as is, most of em would keel over if they actually had to do a days work...I'm not talking sit down and read off a page I'm talking actual hard work... Oh and ps you don't get half the year off either from those jobs.

Half the year off with a decent wage and still whinging, soft as **** job.

Is 'hard work', by your definition, physical work only?

Database error. Duplicate post.

Why? I’m currently stressing myself out trying to assist in students learning. I do not live in an appropriate environment to assist in remote learning but I am trying my best.

If I was told I had to teach during June and July grand no problem. It would save me so much hardship right now. I don’t see why I should suffer both though.

That's a fair point. Do you think it would be better to just stop the teaching altogether for now-all teachers being eligible for the 203 per week and then once this is over, resume teaching over the Summer months?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

KaneToad wrote: »

No but they are paid adequately for what they do, the job isn't difficult enough to warrant higher wages, they have enough it's a case of much wants more.

There are far harder jobs out there paid less, they should be grateful for what they have.

Am I completely missing something here? You've admitted that you're not doing any work and you're attacking teachers who are working?

You clearly 'work' in a sh1t school with particularly useless colleagues so go and crawl back under your rock.

Still not sure why I’m being attacked.

If every primary and post primary school teacher who is not really working now should crawl under a rock ... that will be a lot of rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Have I got that correct?

Anybody who is taking this poster's contributions seriously might just have a quick look over her previous threads. She clearly has a jaundiced view of teaching and her observations can be dismissed as the ranting of somebody desperate to leave the profession.

• Advertisement

Have I got that correct?

Ahhh.. it is as I suspected... I don't have the comprehension issue. You do.

I am prepared to (and am already) working extra time in the job I am still getting paid for. I am spending hours adapting and creating new resources suitable for distance learning as well as teaching classes and answering individual queries from students. That's not to mention the extra time it is taking me to do my bog standard corrections and feedback ( corrections and feedback are only taking more time than normal because I personally am not very technologically adept) .

I am not prepared however to devote more time on top of all this to teaching again during the summer just so that freeloaders like you who refuse to adapt can sit onyour backside preaching to the rest of us who actually give a damn about our students. Just so you won't have to change/, to think outside the box/to apply yourself. I know which one of us is disgracing our profession and it isn't me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement