Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you buy a new IT band?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Damo 2k9 wrote:
    Thursday 26th Dec 4 miles easy. I got a HRM off Santy, expecting the readings to be way off what my watch would be and it would be much lower, but nope, very similar to my watch readings which are high at very easy paces. I don’t know the science behind it, but I was getting myself wound up in thinking my HR should be a lot lower at these paces I am running. Maybe I didn’t keep as much fitness as I thought, or maybe I’ve a naturally high HR, is that a thing??

Out of curiosity what are your HR readings for the easy vs max?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I haven't raced with the HRM yet, just my watch. Jingle bells was 195 average BPM (watch reading) for 6:15 min/mi average.

Today's run which was 6.3 miles @ 9:15 average , with HRM it was 149 BPM average.

That ratio of easy to max doesn't look all that dissimilar to mine. My max is 182ish. My easy is usually around 135ish. Yours will come down with age ;)

Not sure there's anything to worry about there. If that's your heart rate and you genuinely feel like easy feels easy then that's what it is. Heart rate monitoring is of interest but not something to obsess about unless you're heart rate training.

That ratio of easy to max doesn't look all that dissimilar to mine. My max is 182ish. My easy is usually around 135ish. Yours will come down with age ;)

Not sure there's anything to worry about there. If that's your heart rate and you genuinely feel like easy feels easy then that's what it is. Heart rate monitoring is of interest but not something to obsess about unless you're heart rate training.

Yeh i was expecting a huge drop in HR when using the HRM for some reason, maybe because a lot of others see a huge difference. As u said once it genuinely feels easy it should be ok. I think I have a high HR in general, again is that something I should be worried about?

Damo 2k9 wrote:
    Yeh i was expecting a huge drop in HR when using the HRM for some reason, maybe because a lot of others see a huge difference. As u said once it genuinely feels easy it should be ok. I think I have a high HR in general, again is that something I should be worried about?

I'd be lying if I said I knew the answer to that one but if I was unsure about anything to do with the heart I'd be checking in with a GP for peace of mind. No harm in having that stuff checked regularly (blood pressure, cholesterol, heart rhythm etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

Damo I didn't see a change in HR with the strap, I always found the watch pretty reliable....in dry weather! The problem for me was in the rain the readings from the watch became completely erratic and it rains a lot in the West! An example is earlier this year I ran a 5k PB in the rain with just the watch and Skyblue (jokingly) asked if I had been cycling because the HR reading was so low!

ariana` wrote: »
    Damo I didn't see a change in HR with the strap, I always found the watch pretty reliable....in dry weather! The problem for me was in the rain the readings from the watch became completely erratic and it rains a lot in the West! An example is earlier this year I ran a 5k PB in the rain with just the watch and Skyblue (jokingly) asked if I had been cycling because the HR reading was so low!

That's gas, very similar with me, when I was running in the Dominican Republic in the summer the HR was all over the place because of sweat on my arms. It's definitely eased my mind now that Im not expecting a huge change in HR. Just a little more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

That's gas, very similar with me, when I was running in the Dominican Republic in the summer the HR was all over the place because of sweat on my arms. It's definitely eased my mind now that Im not expecting a huge change in HR. Just a little more accurate.

I went out today and used the watch HR for the first time. Pure and utter pants!! :mad: It'll be the new chest strap from now on...when it arrives :pac:

So 1103 miles for 2019, which is my first time breaking 1k miles in a year.

I started with Evan on June 1st, with a total of 166 miles ran from January - May, I would have liked to have more of a base before starting but only myself to blame. 937 miles from June to December with November being basically a non runner (no pun intended...), is something im extremely happy with.

The feeling of consistency is my big takeaway from this year, all times aside. Outside of running its made me feel so much better, and if getting a coach is what it takes to get that feeling, then so be it.

I PB'ed in HM and Marathon Distances, disaster of a 10M race but huge lessons learned from that so I am glad it happened, in a weird way.
    Next on the list is to try get close to my 5k PB which is 18:45, and break both 40 minutes for 10k and 1:30 for HM, with the plan already in progress. Bohermeen is booked and thats the target, I may be in Barcelona for the Half Marathon so may do that as a tune up race, depending on whether I'm there or not.

One thing I do want to concentrate on as well as injury prevention, is my diet, its not terrible but could be so much better. I havent got my college timetable for this semester yet but hoping its not as bad as last year.

A fun year ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great to see the consistency over the last 6 months or so of 2019. Big things ahead for you in 2020 Damo! See you in Bohermeen!

• Advertisement

Great to see the consistency over the last 6 months or so of 2019. Big things ahead for you in 2020 Damo! See you in Bohermeen!

Yeah its something that never really existed for me, I was always in and out of training, never really stuck into it like.

Looking forward to giving Bohermeen a bash! See you there :)

Having a coach makes a massive difference. You'll do big things with Evan, I have no doubt. All the best for 2020.

Having a coach makes a massive difference. You'll do big things with Evan, I have no doubt. All the best for 2020.

Cheers pal! It really does make a huge difference, I was a bit wound up at the start if I didnt get the result I wanted in a race because the feeling of perhaps letting the coach down, but it was a ridiculous thought, there was nothing of the sort.

Damo 2k9 wrote:
    Cheers pal! It really does make a huge difference, I was a bit wound up at the start if I didnt get the result I wanted in a race because the feeling of perhaps letting the coach down, but it was a ridiculous thought, there was nothing of the sort.

Took me a while to get those thoughts out of my head. Haha. I know where you're coming from.
    Over time I started to realise its not the race result that really matters either. It's the consistent, dedicated training that reaps rewards over time. Taking the worry of structuring the training out of your hands allows you to just focus on the running part :)

Took me a while to get those thoughts out of my head. Haha. I know where you're coming from.
    Over time I started to realise its not the race result that really matters either. It's the consistent, dedicated training that reaps rewards over time. Taking the worry of structuring the training out of your hands allows you to just focus on the running part :)

I never had that worry, that was my problem :pac::pac::D

Another decent week in the books.

Monday 30th December
    Got some new runners and headed out with one of the lads. Fairly normal run with too many layers as usual, absolutely roasting.
    6.32 @ 9:17 min/mi.

Tuesday 31st December
    Session today. Headed over to the park for this as I don’t really get there a lot anymore with college in the evenings.
    Plan was 2 mile WU, 3*2 mile @ 7:30 (3 off), and 2 cd.
    Felt very good throughout these sets, so much so I went slightly faster on the last set. (No slips this week thank god!)

1. 7:26 , 7:29
    2. 7:25 , 7:26
    3. 7:24 , 7:17

10.13 @ 8:31 min/mi.

Thursday 2nd January
    First day back in the office, headed out for 8 easy miles after work.
    8.02 @ 9:16 min/mi.

Saturday 4th January
    12 miles easy, but as I only had one session one week I threw some faster miles in in the middle.
    Out early (for me...) for this and stayed local instead of heading to the park.
    12.04 miles @ 8:26 min/mi.

Sunday 5th January
    Headed to the sugarloaf with the lads for the afternoon. Had some spare time when I got home, was on 36.5 miles so headed out for 3.5 miles to hit 40 for the week. Stayed very easy for these.
    3.65 @ 9:30 min/mi.

40.1 miles for the week and very happy with it. Another 40ish mile week ahead with some slightly faster stuff, looking forward to it.

Monday 6th January
    6 miles easy, nice trot around the usual Finglas/Ballymun loop. 6.24 @ 9:06 min/mi.

Tuesday 7th January
    Session day in what felt like gale force winds.
    2 mile wu, 4 x 2mile @ 6:55-7:00 pace with 2 min rest between
    The first 2 mile rep was with the wind, but the rest were going back up Santry lane and back into the wind, disaster.
    1. 6:57 - 6:55
    2. 6:57 - 6:54
    3. 6:56 - 6:57
    4. 6:57 - 6:58

10.52 @ 7:54 min/mi.

Thursday 9th January
    I had a exam Thursday morning so I didnt run on Wednesday evening.
    4 mile easy with one of the lads who has picked up a bit of running, my left leg is giving me a bit of trouble lately, a bit of a 'dull' ache around the shin area, I dont even want to say the dreaded words...

4.17 @ 9:42 min/mi.

Friday 10th January
    As above my left leg is acting up a bit. Progression run was to be 8 mile progression, 2 warmup and start @ 8:00 min/mi and 10s faster every mile. I set out to do 6 but done the 7 but leg was fairly sore at the end of it. Hit all of the paces fine.

7.01 @ 8:05 min/mi.

Sunday 12th January
    Didnt run Saturday due to the wind, wouldnt have enjoyed it one bit so had a rest day. As per the others log' I met up with S, C and E for a trot around the park. Absolutely cracking morning with really good company, great craic as we went around and it felt like the fastest 12 miles ever.

12.02 @ 9:07 min/mi.

Strava has me down for 39.9 miles for the week, raging when I seen it after my run on Sunday :pac:

Slightly faster week coming up, the left leg seems to be a lot better thank god. When I slipped a couple of weeks ago in the Park my right glute went, and its still at me but is ok to run on, just a bit tender after a run. I will book in with the boss when hes home from gallivanting around Iten :)

Monday 13th January
    6 miles easy around the usual loop with one of the lads. Miserable weather out but it has to be done.
    6.2 @ 9:08 min/mi

Tuesday 14th January
    2 mile wu, 2 x 3 mile @ 6:50-6:55 (3:00), 2 cd.
    Out slightly later than I would have liked, I like getting out around 5:20 as soon as im in the door from work. No chance to sit down and think about it, just get it done.

Throughout the middle of each set I was definitely overcooking it, running approx 6:40. I felt extremely good waiting to start the first one and excited about slightly faster paces, perhaps that was it.

1. 6:51 - 6:48 - 6:50
    2. 6:50 - 6:50 - 6:54

Last 2 miles back into a heavy wind through Northwood, passed here by some lad barely breathing it seemed like - running about 6 min miles :(

2 mile cd and off for lovely Base Woodfired Pizza, what I look forward to after a tough session

10.00 @ 7:33 min/mi.

I am also signed up for the Barcelona Half Marathon. Pancake flat course from what I can find online, really excited to give it a stab. 3 weeks before Bohermeen so I wont be going too hard, although it might be a better course to aim for a good time on. Will have a chat with the boss and see what he thinks, but im feeling really good at the moment bar the glute issue.

Slightly improved diet (bar the above pizza...) with meal prep done for work every day, no fizzy drinks except for after long runs :pac: and much better quality sleep too which helps massively.

Wednesday 15th January
    4 miles easy, 2 miles out and back. Nice and easy, has been faster than recent runs but it was a genuinely easy run, HR slightly lower too for the pace.

4.06 @ 8:50 min/mi.

Thursday 16th January
    Misread the plan and thought this was a progression run, bit of a surprise when I looked properly...

2 wu, 5 x 1 mile @ 6:30-6:35 (2:30), 2 cd.

Felt good for this, took a slight break after the WU and started off. I was doing 1 mile up and 1 mile back up by IKEA because I wouldn’t have to cross any roads etc. Parts of the mile stretch were windier than others so it wasn’t perfectly even paced.

Times were:
    6:27 - 6:26 - 6:27 - 6:29 - 6:25.

They were really good reps, blowing at the end but always found myself finishing into the wind.

9.68 @ 8:23.

• Advertisement

Saturday 18th Jan
    Out nice and early, -1 starting but well wrapped up. Met up with a lad I know and he had 13 to do, set out much faster than I’m used to but it wasn’t anything mad. Really really enjoyable run and once again the miles flew by. Smashing morning for it and seen AMK on what I thought was him starting his run, until I opened Strava and seen that monstrous session :pac:

13.3 @ 8:13 min/mi.

43 miles for the week and 2 very enjoyable sessions. Love this training lark.

Monday 20th Jan
    7 miles easy, went a completely different route than the usual Ballymun/Northwood route. I was down by S territory but didn’t bump into him as I’d say he was still hiding after Sundays result, and/or sitting in cleaning his shiny new shoes.

7.06 @ 8:37 min/mi.

Tuesday 21st Jan
    Me and one of the lads in work have been saying well get out for a run at lunch for ages now, said I’d tie it in with one of my easy days but today was the only day he could do. This is probably the best I’ve felt lately, so I said I’d chance it and try a double day.

3.2 @ 8:09 min/mi around Damastown.

Up to the park after work and although I had the hi vis on, no head torch made it an absolute death trap. I didn’t realise it was so dark up there, after a couple of close calls on some of the uneven paths I turned on the phone torch and used it for the session, not ideal but it will have to do.

The session was 2 wu, 4 mile @ 6:55, 0.5 @ 8:00, 2x1 mile @ 6:45 (3:00), 1 cd.
    The toughest part was probably the first of the 1 mile reps, found the 4 mile comfortably hard but was surprised by the HR, until I came back against the wind it rose slightly.

4 mile paces: 6:54 - 6:54 - 6:54 - 6:52
    1 mile paces: 6:42 - 6:41

Smashing session and felt great after it although not looking forward to the DOMS. Slightly longer CD brought it to 10 miles for the evening.

10.03 @ 7:41

Wednesday 22nd January
    5 miles easy with one of the lads. 5.01 @ 9:09 min/mi around the area.

Thursday 23rd January
    8 mile Progression run. Start off with 2 miles easy, then start at 8:00 and 10s faster each mile.
    Was there or thereabouts pace wise, kicked it up slightly for the last mile. 8:04 mi @ 7:47 min/mi.

Saturday 25th January
    Long session today, I love these runs.
    5 @ 8:00, 3 @ 7:35, 1 @ 8:30, 3 @ 7:25, 2 @ 8:15
    I found the middle mile of each 3 mile rep the hardest, maybe because whatever way the wind was, I dunno. I also felt better doing the second set, than I did for the first.
    Up in the park for 8AM which is a big deal for me if anyone knows me :pac:
    Set 1: 7:33 - 7:32 - 7:31
    Set 2: 7:22 - 7:21 - 7:23

14.00 @ 7:49 min/mi.

Ran this fasted, bloody starving and dying for a coffee after it!! Lovely new coffee shop in Finglas is my go to after a run on a Saturday, the little things eh?

47.3 miles for the week, I was supposed to run on lunch on Friday but decided to take a rest day instead to get ready for this mornings run, wise move. I really feel like my fitness has come back these last few weeks, I Was a bit sceptical about taking a break for 6 weeks after the marathon bar a few easy runs, but maybe it was a good thing too. Looking forward to Barcelona/Bohermeen now, roll on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Impressed with the 8am Sat run ;) Well done :D

Impressed with the 8am Sat run ;) Well done :D

I impressed myself! :pac:

Now I know why people run early. Frees up the entire day afterward.

That long run was a beaut.

• Advertisement

Now how long have we all been banging on about that?? This new Damo has changed in so many ways!! Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Had a little laugh at this lol 😀

That long run was a beaut.
    Yeah was proper chuffed with it tbh, they require a decent bit of attention so its not as boring as normal long runs. They are a great little confidence booster too, I feel anyway.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Now how long have we all been banging on about that?? This new Damo has changed in so many ways!! Haha

Haha I know, I’m slow to catch on ya know that sure!

Monday 27th Jan
    5 @ 8:58 min/mi around the local area. Uneventful but ran with one of the lads, miles flew by.

Tuesday 28th Jan
    Lunch run in work as im back in college so will be squeezing in the miles. 3.3 @ 8:19 min/mi.

Wednesday 29th Jan
    Plan called for 10 miles @ 7:45. Extremely good run bar having to take a pit stop in the crowne plaza... Something I have to keep an eye on race day as I dont want a repeat of FD 10. Ended up averaging 7:35 min/mi, the only time I was struggling was the last two miles into the wind, its always the same on this route.

10.16 @ 7:35 min/mi.

Thursday 30th Jan

6 @ 8:49 Finglas/Ballymun route. Usual route, plodding along listening to Scullion. About a mile from home got an unmerciful pain in my left kneecap, a bit of a limp home and it was even sore to walk around on.

Not sure if this is stemming from the issue I have had with my calf/shin, which I suspect is a small case of shin splints.

For that reason and the fact it was still tender Friday night, I decided to give the LR a miss on the weekend. I think it was a smart decision even tho its a long run missed. But this close to Barcelona no point potentially messing it up. I will crack on with this week and see how things go, and I'm up with the boss on Friday to get him to look at it. Fingers crossed nothing serious.

25 miles for the week, ah well, onto the next one.

A wise decision to skip the long run! Hope it's feeling better now :)

• Advertisement

A wise decision to skip the long run! Hope it's feeling better now :)

Cheers E, got myself fairly wound up about missing the miles but sure look. One thing I learned is dont chase missed miles! Like home store and more, when they're gone, they're gone!

February 3rd
    6 miles easy, knee felt good. Listened to scullion on the way round, miles flew by. 6.07 @ 9:02 min/mi.

February 4th
    2 wu, 4 x 2 mile @ 6:50 (2:00)
    Off towards the usual Northwood loop and motoring along nicely, knee holding up again. Headed up toward the airport for a change and turned back at Dardistown, the usual last 2 mile weren’t as windy tonight!
    All paces were bang on bar a quick last mile, 10.54 @ 7:33 min/mi.

February 5th
    Plan had 7 miles, only got back from college at 10:30 PM so headed out for 4 miles instead as it was later than expected. 4.06 @ 8:39 min/mi.

February 6th
    Progression run. 2 mile wu and then 7:40 -10 seconds each mile.
    Felt really good on this, slightly fast last mile again but felt good.
    8.02 @ 7:40 min/mi.

Physio visit with the boss on Friday to get the calf looked at, just a very tight calf thankfully, the knee is all ok, just a weird pain that night. Bit of work done on my glute which always gives me trouble, its something I need to strengthen for this year.

February 9th
    Didn’t run Saturday as legs slightly tender after the massage, had the gear laid out and was fully ready to run in Storm Ciara but when I actually seen the weather, no way. Opted for the gym instead, headed out to Flyefit in blanch. I got 14 miles done on the watch and it was about 17 on the treadmill, plan was 16 so happy enough with it. Boring 2 hours but it has to be done. Upping the speed on the treadmill was making me slower on the watch!! 14.03 @ 9:34 min/mi.

Roll on Barcelona next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck Sunday Damo, run well man!!

Very best of luck tomorrow Damo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck Damo training going very well; go out and give it a good rattle

Tuesday 11th February
    Plan was 6 miles, but because I was in college I squeezed in 5 miles on lunch in work. Definitely going to do more lunch miles, dead handy. 5.12 @ 7:47 min/mi.

Wednesday 12th February
    Small session to keep the legs going. 1 mile wu, 2 x 1 mile @ 7:00 with 1 mile @ 8:30 in between, and 1 cd.
    5 @ 7:47 min/mi

Thursday 13th February
    Travel day so up and out before work for an easy 5 miles, out to IKEA and back.
    5.02 @ 8:55 min/mi

Saturday 15th Feb
    Just an easy 3 miles down to the start line and back. Legs feeling a bit weird, usual pre race jitters I assume.
    3.22 @ 8:34 min/mi.

Going to give it a good go tomorrow, there was thoughts of going out with 1:30 pacers and hanging on for dear life, but I just don’t think I’m there at the moment. I would be extremely happy with a PB considering the break after DCM, here’s hoping. Got into the first wave (after elites), might be hanging off the back of the wave but well see what happens!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Best of luck Sunday Damo, run well man!!
    Very best of luck tomorrow Damo :D
    Good luck Damo training going very well; go out and give it a good rattle

Thanks a mill folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

Best of luck Damo, smash it.

1:27:51 chip time. Over the moon, thanks to everyone for the congrats, legends the lot of ye.

Made the call about 5k in to have a shot at sub 1:30 and it paid off. Smashing race and the route is a good one, brilliant way to see the city.

Race report to follow.

Enjoy the high Damo, absolutely thrilled for you:D

• Advertisement

Barcelona Half Marathon 2020
    A good block of training that kicked off second week in December. Originally it was aimed towards Bohermeen but when we decided to head to Barcelona it seemed only right that I gave this a bash as I knew it was a fast course. We got in on Thursday evening and as we had been here before, we didnt have a huge amount of sightseeing to do. Still plenty of walking, and went a bit overboard with the drink Friday night but recovered well Saturday. Plenty of water and even got out for a run to stretch the legs. Went out for dinner but headed back to the hotel early to get the gear ready and plenty of rest.

I didnt really have a plan, I was messing with race calculators all weekend, knew 6:52 was sub 1:30 pace but also knew I wouldnt hold it. Told Evan I was going to go out at 6:55-7:00 pace and see what happens throughout, he said settle into that pace and ramp it up for a 1:2x:xx...yeah right I thought.

Pre Race
    Race start @ 8:45, breakfast only opened at 7. The buffet was absolutely shocking, I was able to scrape together somewhat of a breakfast and that was it. Got the metro to near enough the start line, herself was with me so I didnt need to go to bag drop which was great. Seen a couple of Irish lads warming up. I was in wave 1 which was 1:20-1:30 so I headed there. I needed the loo tho, and all of the lines were stupid long. Pleaded with a hotel to let me in but they wouldnt, and I couldnt start the race otherwise id have a repeat of FD10. Made the call to leave the wave and if I had to, go in wave 2. I made it back in time thank god, with about 1 min to spare.

Miles 1-3 (6:51-6:58-6:48)
    A fast start with a sharp left turn about 100m into the race, I was starting fast so had to pull myself back for mile 1. Noticed a guy beside me here and was trying to slow down to match his more sensible pace. Mile 2 was the start of the only real climb of the day, kept it controlled and kept going. Mile 3 was slightly faster as we were moving toward one of the longer straights of the course.

Miles 4-6 (6:46-6:38-6:43)
    I had my eye on a couple of people around to try stick with. Gel. Mile 4 clocked and I knew I was back to 1:29:59 pace, right its on. Made the call and kept it going. Herself was going to be at mile 5 so I kept an eye out and got a good scream :pac:. There was a woman with me since about mile 2/3 and we were working together pacewise, I let her tuck in behind to get out of some of the wind. Seen the guy from mile 1 again.

Miles 7-9 (6:43-6:44-6:32)
    Lost the woman as we were on another drag past some apartments, I wasnt in a pack and was very isolated. A welsh young lad came bursting past me at mile 8 and I stuck with him up until the diagonal. Gel just before the turn. Let him go, but now I was back with the German from Mile 1 and we gave each other a thumbs up, I said "I finally caught back up to you" and he just laughed. Me and him worked our way through the pack, with people coming back down the other side it was tough enough.

Miles 10-12 (6:29-6:17-6:25)
    Working with this guy definitely helped. Mile 10 we had to weave around a few people. Seen the 1:30 pacers on opposite side of the road, uh oh. Mile 11 GPS was all over the place, it was definitely not a 6:17. It was a 6:28-6:30 tho. Back out onto the coast and we exchanged a couple bits, where we are from etc (minimum) and he warned theres always a headwind here. As I expected, he wasnt going for a PB "If I was I wouldnt be talking to you!" that hit me, I dropped the hammer here and off I went. Tiny climb at mile 12 and back into the wind. Flew past the welsh lad from earlier, great confidence boost as bad as it sounds.

Miles 13-Finish (6:25-5:49)
    I had it in me for a fast finish, knew I was way ahead of pace but also wasnt too sure after seeing the pacers, had me thinking I wasnt going as fast as I thought. Mile 13 finished just as I turned onto the finish straight, decent support here. Seen 1:28 (I Think?) on the clock and absolutely burst home (see strava for pain pic :pac: ). Stopped the watch at 1:27:58 and was absolutely delighted, couldnt believe it.

Met up with herself and she confirmed the time and more - 1:27:51.

Got all the bits, water etc. And I purchased medal engraving at the expo, was thinking I am setting myself up for failure here and Ill end up getting a bad race engraved into the medal if it goes pearshape, delighted I done it in the end!

I couldnt recommend the race enough, number pickup was really easy, the course is brilliant, really nice bar maybe 9/10. The finish area is fantastic, very well organised and the metro is right beside it too, so easy to get around.

Whats next: Bohermeen is in a couple of weeks, its either race that flat out again, or run it as a LR/Session and race MSB 5k the week after and try get back to my PB time. Or, I might race both, who knows. We will see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

That's fantastic running, well done! I really enjoyed that report :) Seemed like you were on top of it from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭Lazare

Warrior performance Damo. Thrilled for you.

ReeReeG wrote: »
    That's fantastic running, well done! I really enjoyed that report :) Seemed like you were on top of it from the start.
    Lazare wrote: »
    Warrior performance Damo. Thrilled for you.

Thanks guys. Only mentioned to herself yesterday I never thought id see the day I would run something like a 1:27 half, always seemed like one of them times youd see and think "Jesus imagine running that". Im absolutely over the moon, really makes you realise that going out in lashings of rain or strong winds etc is actually worth it.

Edit: That seems like im singing my own praises, I didnt mean it like that. I know a couple of the guys have been talking about losing their mojo, its happened me countless times too and I have had absolutely sh*t weeks training. A lot of the evenings even in recent weeks I havent wanted to go out, using injuries (tiny niggles!) as an easy way out of a long run for example. Even if training isint going your way, it still might be working more than you think, which I just learned yesterday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Good man - in a few months a 1.27 HM will be a bad day at the office for you!!
    Great progress.

Regarding your comments - by all means sing your own praises!
    God knows that us runners have so many bad days that we need to really remember and celebrate the good days.

Doesn't come across at all like that Damo! But i totally get why you put that edit in, i feel my own log needs one too!

You deserve the buzz you feel right now, you worked for it & you got it... absolutely no better feeling:)

Great progress.

+1 to this. You know that for a long time I have been banging on at you to untap your potential. The sky is the limit. The time for being afraid of goal times that a 22 year old Damo of a couple of years ago saw as untouchable is gone. Keep up the dedicated training and you'll be mixing it where you should be in no time.

Great progress.

Regarding your comments - by all means sing your own praises!
    God knows that us runners have so many bad days that we need to really remember and celebrate the good days.
    Cheers A - I guess your right. Celebrated with a few well deserved beers before heading off to the airport haha. Heres hoping that 1:27 continues to drop.
    Doesn't come across at all like that Damo! But i totally get why you put that edit in, i feel my own log needs one too!

You deserve the buzz you feel right now, you worked for it & you got it... absolutely no better feeling:)
    Thanks a mill E, your right there is no better feeling, but I dont want to get comfortable at this pace and I want to keep pushing, so its a double edged sword now haha!!

Your post perfectly described racing yesterday, its not always going to be your best day and thats just the way it is. Ive had some terrible racing days, but they are character building, thats what I tell myself :pac:
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    +1 to this. You know that for a long time I have been banging on at you to untap your potential. The sky is the limit. The time for being afraid of goal times that a 22 year old Damo of a couple of years ago saw as untouchable is gone. Keep up the dedicated training and you'll be mixing it where you should be in no time.
    Thanks a mill for that man, I really appreciate it. You were right all along, unfortunately it took me so long to realise but sure look :pac: Its only Feb now so im gonna keep the head down and keep working away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great performance Damo, you may have somewhat surprised yourself but following you here & on Strava the training you are putting in was bound to reward you. Keep it going, plenty more to come off that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Never in doubt Damo. Brilliant time, and what a place to do it. Super report too.

Advertisement