Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you buy a new IT band?

• 07-11-2017 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭

I think the most difficult part about starting one of these is picking a title, I think this is fairly fitting seems as it was the backstory to my DCM journey!! Hon the graduates! ;)

Background
    23 years old when I decided to do this, but wanting to do it a good 4 years now! Didnt think it would be this enjoyable. I was fairly active as it was, but apart from the oul run to the village and back I never invested much time into actual running!

Dublin Staff Relay in the park, first ever proper run. Went on a couple runs (really 2) a couple days before and we then rocked up in our fluorescent Dunnes t shirts. I volunteered to go last, and that was that. Waiting for the baton, in with the earphones and off I went running 3:30-3:45 kms in id say about 20 degree heat, and trying to sprint up the military road hill, que me doubled over absolutely wrecked and I had to walk. I didnt have a clue, tried to keep the pace up and ended up finishing in 21 minutes.

DCM Training
    Fingal 10k coming up, ah sure why not. Had introduced myself at this stage in the novices thread but hadnt signed up, aiming for 50 minutes and done that in 44:55 with no real solid training behind, delighted. The night before heading off to Cancun I signed up for the half and DCM, its on now. Couple runs over there in solid heat was tough, but got to see a few nice spots.

Fast forward a couple of months, I finally understood easy/LSR paces thanks to WW and AMK (and many others) and the real training started. The knee started to give way, I never thought anything of it. I done Dublin Half in 1:35 without any real trouble, but after it was seriously tough. I think that was what really set it off, off to the physio.

The marathon month
    After a dissapointing first physio experience, I was recommended Aidan Woods and off I went with 3 weeks to the marathon. Basically had a bad case of IT Band syndrome, worked with him for the next couple weeks and it got me to the start line. Id always had 4hrs in my head, the half time got me thinking I could do faster but with the knee being bad I said id enjoy myself and run it slow, one of the best experiences of my life that ended up being.

I cramped up, yeah, but never once did I feel like I wouldnt finish or that I hit the wall, I was happy with plodding along knowing my knee wouldnt let me push faster (it went at mile 4-5) but at the end of the day I was gonna complete a marathon, something im very thankful for to this day. I think this is whats inspired me to keep running, and keep fighting to get into better shape and becoming the best runner I possibly can be.

5k: 19:35 (Parkrun 5/08/17)
    10k: 44:55 (23/07/17)
    Half: 1:35 (23/09/17)
    Full: 3:57:57 (29/10/17)

Future
    I have a couple of goals, No.1 being to get myself in the best shape possible, being free of my injurys and strong to keep any further ones away.

5k: Sub 19, id absolutely love it.
    10k: Closer to the 40 minute mark.
    Half: Fairly happy with that time, I think the long distance stuff is off the cards for a while.
    Full: Late next year I think I wanna go closer to 3:30, I know its an absolute mountain of a jump but I know I can be in MUCH better shape for my next marathon, I know I can.

Look forward to hearing advice from folks on here, ye really are a great bunch and I dont think id have gotten to the finish line without this board.

And the bass keeps runnin runnin...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭podgec10

IT Band , great name for one of those techno, synthetic, electronic music groups our there! 😂

Good luck with the log.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Great start Damo. Keep them coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Good luck Damo . You'll smash them targets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Good luck Damo . You'll smash them targets.

Here's hoping. Gonna try get back to the physio next week and get a plan sorted for strengthening up, gonna keep the mileage fairly low while doing so as high mileage is what seems to flare it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Best title ever ever!! Can you throw a pair of hip flexors too??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I've got some similar numbers to you and a similar enough backstory:
    5k: 19:23 (Parkrun January)
    10k: 44:55 (August)
    Half: 1:40 (Dublin Half)
    Full: 3:55:03 (DCM)

Will be watching your log carefully - probably gonna be aiming for some similar goals myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck Damo. Those PB times are going to plummet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Good man Damo, I hope the IT band gets sorted quickly :)

Thanks WW, Baby and Amirani, absolutely buzzing to be back running this week! Although there wasnt a huge amount of miles, im catching up on all the stuff that I missed out on while the training was mental :)

Monday Nov 6th
    First run since DCM, I was itching to get a fast run in and the legs were feeling good so I just went by feel. 3.1 miles @ 6:53/mile. Damn that felt good!!

Thursday Nov 9th
    One of the lads wants to do the marathon next year, met him last week and he said he wants to come on a run one of the days so I met up with him. Hes fairly fit as he plays soccer anyways, so it was good to get out and have a chat with someone as I really missed that during training. 4.1 miles @ 8:40/mile, a cold one at that!!

Friday 10th Nov
    Not running but include it anyways, 45 minute spin class with herself. Never done one of these before, said id go anyways...Ive never sweat as much in my life!! Could f*cking ring my top. It is something id like to do often tho, was a bit of craic.

Id love to get to more parkruns but I work early every Sat morning so that pretty much rules it out. Heading to munich on Friday and wanted to do one there but theres none around :( May do Run In The Dark the week after and try go sub 19, will see how the legs are after the weekend. I definitely think after that training block I can knock off ~30 seconds, will report here and let yas know anyway!!

Another fairly boring week compared to most on here, apologies! Still enjoying the more chilled out approach to running compared to the last couple months prior to DCM. Throwing in a bit of cycling here and there aswell, and done my first ever session on Thursday gone!!

Monday 13th
    Just the usual 3mile route, seriously bored of this I need to find a new one.

Tuesday 14th
    No running but a cycle to college and back, around 5 mile each way.

Thursday 16th
    The Run Hub in Ashtown set up a sort of run club for the next 6 weeks, I enjoy running with others so decided to jump on board. First ever time doing any type of intervals or an actual session. Started off with around a 1mile warmup, bit of stretching and then 4x3min. The recovery was 2 minutes, I could probably chop this down a bit next time but it was my first time so no rush. This was followed by a slow jog back to the shop for more stretching etc. All in it was 4.4miles @ 8:31, including the recovery but the intervals were ran @ 6:00 mile. Cycled around 4 mile there and back too.

Travelled to Munich on Friday morning, packed the runners and baselayers to try get a few miles in over there. The only running I done was across the road :) Didnt really like the city, and I ended up chilling out instead of running, no regrets!

Something I neglected doing in the training for DCM was a proper w/u and c/d and will definitely do it more. Really looking forward to this thursdays session, its something to get me till past christmas and then im gonna look into what marathon I wanna do and/or Ironman 70.3 Dun Laoghaire, I really want to run as much as I can in 2018 with even better times.

• Advertisement

New niggle this week, on the ball of my foot (left) is fairly sore even to walk on, so only two days running this week as it only popped up on Friday. Im trying to stick to 4 days running each week with one session (Thursday) two easy runs and then a long-ish run on the weekend when I can fit it in. If I know I cant fit it in on the weekend then ill cut one of the easy runs and just do a longer run instead and go with the 3 days. This will be the way itll be until I get into a proper plan after the christmas etc. and hopefully I stick to it.

Tuesday 21st
    4.4miles @ 7:35/mi. Tough run in regards to conditions, dark cold and very windy out and into a headwind for nearly all of it. The legs felt absolutely great tho, best ive felt post marathon id say.

Thursday 23rd
    The new weekly session :) As said previous im loving these, even if its only second one. I asked about strides last week and am still doing a bit of reading, so we done a couple of them. 10 minute warm up followed by 4x3min but this week was 90 seconds recovery. Ill never take 30 seconds for granted ever again...

First one was ran around 5:25...too fast. I knew already id made a balls of it, but I had to stay strong for the rest of the session. No.2 and 3 were around 5:30-5:40 and then the last one was around 5:45-5:50. I havent got a good watch at the moment so I just leave strava running, but going off one of the other lads times and glancing at my own watch its rough estimates. Will definitely start a lot slower next week, with a shiny new Forerunner 235 on :D

Try rolling that foot on a ball Damo or freeze a small bottle of water and use that ! its part of my stretching routine now :)

Damo did you not mention that soreness in your foot during marathon training? Or was it the front of your foot?

Remember too Damo that we're asking our bodies to do things they haven't done before whether it's speed, distance or regular running with less recovery than the body is used to. It'll let us know it's not used to it. Anyone who starts weights in the gym would know the feeling. Pushing your boundaries doesn't come without pain. The hardest part of this running business is not over worrying about every niggle yet recognising the ones that need attention.

Ohh I have one of those rolling balls actually will do that more often, never even thought about it.

Yeh Sean it was the front of my foot, thankfully not the same thing.

As seen in my last couple posts, I took last week off completely and only got back to running this Thursday for a session.

Thursday 7th December
    New session (to me) still learning as I go along! Absolutely love sessions, more then easy runs actually.

6x400m w/ 60sec recovery, 1 mile wu and cd.

These were brilliant, tried not to start out to quick like the previous week, will definitely learn from that mistake (not on Saturday...)

Reps: 1. 1:27.0 (5:50min/mi)
    2. 1:25.9 (5:45min/mi)
    3. 1:20.7 (5:25min/mi)
    4. 1.23.3 (5:35min/mi)
    5. 1:24.0 (5:38min/mi)
    6. 1:24.9 (5:41min/mi

The 3rd was too fast but had the wind behind me, dialled it back down after that. For the 60sec recovery, would people jog this or stand around and catch breath for the next one?? As I said its still a learning curve, so ANY input is greatly appreciated!! Jogged roughly 4 miles home after that (8:41min/mi).

Saturday 9th December
    Signed up for the Aware 5k as I missed JB by a week, wanted to see what I could do before the year was out. My lift fell through at 9:40, had to be there before 9:15 to get my number! Ran out to the main road and grabbed a taxi, got out at ashtown gate and ran to the start to get my number. Was stuck for time so didnt get a proper warm up done, on we go.

Lined up at the front, two german lads popped in front of me and so did a woman from Raheny AC and off we went. Tucked in behind the two lads, the younger one VANISHED, went on to win in around 15:00. Was sitting nicely in 3rd until the first mile was up, turned onto Knockmaroon and Annette and another man overtook me. First mile clocked in at 5:50, WAY too fast. Onto the little hill going up the glen, breathing got too heavy and my watch kept telling me im too slow, thanks for the reminder!! Hit the lap button by accident on my watch, so the remaining two miles were messed up but id say around 6:20 for my second, and 6:30 for the third?? Took a glance at the watch coming onto the Furze and knew I needed a sprint to get sub 19, me and another lad doing the 10k went for it and had a laugh after. Came in 5th in the 5k, chuffed.

Watch clocked 19:02, with 3.11miles, 2 seconds, f*ck sake :rolleyes: Got my banana, sweets and hot chocolate and went off home. Checked the results after and came in at 18:54, but ended up going to 6th overall by 15 seconds to 5th, still chuffed!!

I know its not as strong of a field compared to some races out there, but I still had fun and it was for a good cause! Had a recovery run planned for today, but not a chance in that weather.

Im shooting myself in the foot by not complimenting these sessions with easy runs throughout the week, and maybe a tempo, but like many with this weather lately and nothing big coming up, I just couldnt be arsed! Will try keep it going over the christmas, but itll all kick off in the new year :)

deadly Damo that was some running and i expect great things in the newyear :D congrats again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Unbelievable speed! Fair play.

Thanks Baby and Kellygirl, if only I could bother to get out during the week for the easier miles I reckon I would have been in better shape, cant be dissapointed with that result regardless! Roll on 2018! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

Im shooting myself in the foot by not complimenting these sessions with easy runs throughout the week, and maybe a tempo, but like many with this weather lately and nothing big coming up, I just couldnt be arsed! Will try keep it going over the christmas, but itll all kick off in the new year :)

Dead right there.
    "there's 'always' tomorrow" ............. never said by the 1st 5 in that race.

I jest......but just a bit :), great going on a tough course on a cold day. Its a great performance really as that hill on the glen takes it out of you.

You seem to have a lot of ability, so you should try to channel it in the right way. Sarah was telling me that you are doing sessions with the RH - keep on with them, and do some other 'easy' stuff during the week. It all helps.

• Advertisement

Dead right there.
    "there's 'always' tomorrow" ............. never said by the 1st 5 in that race.

I jest......but just a bit :), great going on a tough course on a cold day. Its a great performance really as that hill on the glen takes it out of you.

You seem to have a lot of ability, so you should try to channel it in the right way. Sarah was telling me that you are doing sessions with the RH - keep on with them, and do some other 'easy' stuff during the week. It all helps.

Cheers A, I wouldnt mind but normally the easy runs are the ones I dont have a problem with!! Its really coming down to the cold nights, which is when I normally run, I need to grow a pair!

Yeah im loving them sessions, I think its whats given me a push to join a club in the new year, constantly learning new things every week is brilliant, and theyve never pointed me in the wrong direction over there! Will definitely get them easy runs in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well done on an amazing 5k time Damo. It'll be exciting to follow you i think ;)

Excellent result Damo your a natural , so much potential there for you to achieve whatever you want.

Thanks for having a look everyone, great to know theres a couple of people popping in for a look at this as well as having it here for myself to look back on.

Thursday 14th December
    New session tonight, 1k repeats. Well every session is kind of new to me!! I havent got an awful lot of miles in my legs recently as this log will tell u, so I knew to keep these relatively conservative to ensure I didnt blow up, although there were only 4. Plan was 10 min warm up (1mile) then 4x1k w/ 90sec rest, and then another 10min cool down (1mile), so about 4.5 miles all in for the evening. Times were as follows:
    1. 3:52.4
    2. 3:48.7
    3. 3:45.5
    4. 3:43.1

Happy that I didnt go out too fast on the first one and was able to improve on the rest!

Tuesday 19th December
    Usual 3.1mile loop closeby to celebrate the new job...

Had an interview yesterday for a new job, heard back today and I got it. Over the moon obviously, Mon-Fri 9-5 job, weekends off means that I can attend more events and the same schedule midweek means I can also make a proper training plan!! I only said it last week that all going well and I got this job itd mean a lot training wise for the new year, and I cannot bloody wait to get stuck in. Joining a club is gonna be the first step.

Oh and I also moved my notice around for my old job so im off new years eve....Clonliffe 5k anyone?? :pac:

I'm delighted for you Damo. Well deserved for a sound young man. Where are you working? You'll really benefit from a regular routine. Remember though that real life is important. Treat that little lady of yours well and don't let running take over :P

It's a Medical Supply place out in Damastown, really excited to start. Ah Yeh definitely, it's still gonna be 4 days training I reckon 3 midweek and one on the weekend. Going to try incorporate lunchtime runs etc. It's all gonna be a learning curve, but I'm excited to try adapt to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Well done on the new job Damo; a great bit of news to end the year! Seems like you are going to have more time to have a better work life balance and like Sean says not just for running.

Those times for your 1k splits were very well managed as it can be hard to get the pacing correct....having little variance and finishing strong are always a great indicator on how these are going.

I will be following your log with interest you have a huge amount of talent to be tapped into; a great 2018 awaits.

The best thing I did after DCM16 was joining a club; If you are serious about improving as a runner you should definitely consider this.

C

Well done on the new job Damo; a great bit of news to end the year! Seems like you are going to have more time to have a better work life balance and like Sean says not just for running.

Those times for your 1k splits were very well managed as it can be hard to get the pacing correct....having little variance and finishing strong are always a great indicator on how these are going.

I will be following your log with interest you have a huge amount of talent to be tapped into; a great 2018 awaits.

The best thing I did after DCM16 was joining a club; If you are serious about improving as a runner you should definitely consider this.

C

Yeh really excited to start the new job, new surrounding and actually working with something that interests me helps a lot!

Thanks for the kind words, long lurker of your log I must admit.

I find with the longer reps its easier to dial in the pace, whereas with the shorter reps your only starting and its over again.

I think its more 400m reps tonight, theyre a treat to wake the legs up!!

Thursday 21st December

Speed session, 6x400m with 60sec rest in between.

Started off with a small warm up (1mile) and then a bit of dynamic thrown in also. Much warmer than usual so ditched a layer tonight, no quarter zip. Reps were:

1. 1:27.2 (5:49mi)
    2. 1:23.0 (5:32mi)
    3. 1:23.8 (5:35mi)
    4. 1:25.1 (5:41mi)
    5. 1:23.5 (5:34mi)
    6. 1:23.3 (5:33mi)

Lovely bit of rain for the last two reps, and then a half mile cool down and a short walk back too. 3 mile cycle out and back too, soaked going home and no rain gear!!

Into the christmas break now, hopefully a few easy runs in there somewhere (if the hangovers arent too bad..) and then fingers crossed I make Clonliffe 5k next Sunday!

• Advertisement

Wednesday 27th December
    Popped over to The Run Hub to get a new pair of racing runners, got a pair of Adizero Boston Boost and decided to take them out for a while.

3.58 @ 7:13/mi, bit cold out but warmed up fast enough.

Thursday 28th December
    Decided to try keep the sessions up over the christmas, while still going through joining a club. Normally do them on a straight path over at the Canal but went to the local park. It was a bit icy out so the corners were a bit iffy, so slowing down added on a couple seconds on compared to last week.

6x400m with 10min wu/cd and 60 sec rest in between, splits:
    1. 1:32.3 6:09/mi
    2. 1:26.8 5:47/mi
    3. 1:27.2 5:49/mi
    4. 1:29.4 5:58/mi
    5. 1:27.5 5:50/mi
    6. 1:24.0 5:36/mi

4.42mi @ 7:52/mi. Decided to try active recovery with these too, wasnt as bad as I thought it would be!

Great stuff Damo...good to keep things ticking over during the holidays. We always tend to have active recoveries in the club sessions...I actually find it easier to get going on the reps that way.

Have you started looking into clubs yet?

I have indeed yeah. At the moment it's between Clonliffe and MSB, I just have to wait until I start work and see how the commute goes midweek, and see what days I can make training etc. Hopefully going to the Clonliffe 5k on Sunday so can talk to a few people up there anyways.

Friday 29th December
    Easy miles today after yesterday's session, in late today so got out this morning. 5.4 @ 8:39/mi. Believe it or not this is my longest run since DCM, and I've been loving it. Took a step back from a proper plan since DCM so nothing has needed me to go over that, apart from the sessions it's just been easy 5ks here and there.

Calf started giving out with about 1.5 to go, will see how it is on Sunday before deciding on the race.

Saturday 31st December
    Clonliffe Harriers 5k, decided to do it last night. Arrived nice and early and registered, got a good decent warm up in with a few strides and stretches etc, something I neglected in the past but it really does help!

Mile 1
    One lap of the track and out the gate, first time running on a track so just got near the top and off I went. Wind wasnt too bad UNTIL we got into Northwood itself, clocked the first mile at 5:45. Loads of people overtook me but I didnt mind.

Mile 2
    Horrible mile, real strong wind right in the face and only one lad in front who didnt block much wind :( :pac: Out of northwood and towards santry lane, where at the left turn I overtook the Clonliffe lad. 6:23 :rolleyes:

Mile 3
    Down Santry lane with a wind behind me, on my own until a woman overtook me who was flying along, kept the form nice and light rather then stomping and it felt great, down to the bottom and take a left and into the stadium then, picked it up a bit and ended up catching Annette from Raheny AC who had smoked me at the last 5k, had a laugh with her after it. 5:58.

18:45.1 @ 5:59/mi and 31st overall, new PB which im delighted with, and on a windy day. Nice little treat to go into the new year with!! :)

Happy new year to ye all, hopefully see ye at races during the year!!

No running this week, focusing on exams that are on tuesday then im lacing up the runners :)

Looking forward to the Raheny 5 mile at the end of the month, and hopefully put a few more faces to names!

Also just signed up to the Bohermeen Half...Going to go for sub 1:30, ambitious I know but with a 1:35 PB with a dodgy knee for the Dublin half, I think with a good bit of training I can achieve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

No running this week, focusing on exams that are on tuesday then im lacing up the runners :)

Looking forward to the Raheny 5 mile at the end of the month, and hopefully put a few more faces to names!

Also just signed up to the Bohermeen Half...Going to go for sub 1:30, ambitious I know but with a 1:35 PB with a dodgy knee for the Dublin half, I think with a good bit of training I can achieve it.

Best of luck in the exams Damo.

• Advertisement

Finally back out getting a couple miles in!!

Wednesday 10th January
    Just a normal loop with a couple of strides thrown in! Same oul boring 3mile route...:rolleyes: 3.4 @ 8:21 min/mi

Thursday 11th January
    Decided to get out for a bit longer today, the fog was mental but it cleared so I got ready and headed out the door....to a thick wall of fog. Plan was 6 miles around 8:30 min/mi. First one in at 8:40 but I was freezing so I sped up for the next one to get a bit of warmth :pac: Bumped into skyblue and had a nice chat about Raheny etc, looking forward to that one!! 6 @ 8:22 min/mi

On the club front, ive been in contact with MSB and hope to meet up with them for the first run on Sunday morning perhaps, hopefully get to put faces to names from around this neck of the woods! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Finally back out getting a couple miles in!!

Wednesday 10th January
    Just a normal loop with a couple of strides thrown in! Same oul boring 3mile route...:rolleyes: 3.4 @ 8:21 min/mi

Thursday 11th January
    Decided to get out for a bit longer today, the fog was mental but it cleared so I got ready and headed out the door....to a thick wall of fog. Plan was 6 miles around 8:30 min/mi. First one in at 8:40 but I was freezing so I sped up for the next one to get a bit of warmth :pac: Bumped into skyblue and had a nice chat about Raheny etc, looking forward to that one!! 6 @ 8:22 min/mi

On the club front, ive been in contact with MSB and hope to meet up with them for the first run on Sunday morning perhaps, hopefully get to put faces to names from around this neck of the woods! :pac:

Good man, glad to hear it :D

I won't be there on Sunday morning myself, as I'm going to the Leinster Masters. You might catch AMK though if he's around. Best of luck!

Good man, glad to hear it :D

I won't be there on Sunday morning myself, as I'm going to the Leinster Masters. You might catch AMK though if he's around. Best of luck!

I might catch the back of him! :pac: Im sure well meet up soon! :cool:

Great news on the club Damo....I am sure those MSB lads will look after you well.

Great news on the club Damo....I am sure those MSB lads will look after you well.

Heres hoping.. :pac:

Will you be heading to Raheny??

• Advertisement

Not decided yet; just getting back into proper training so might just get back into 2 sessions a week for the next couple of months.

You will be on for a decent time out there.....worth it for the goodie bag alone!

Heres hoping.. :pac:

Will you be heading to Raheny??

Not decided yet; just getting back into proper training so might just get back into 2 sessions a week for the next couple of months.

You will be on for a decent time out there.....worth it for the goodie bag alone!

So am I! No chance of any brilliant time out there for me, haven't done much training at all, all kicks off next week and by then it's too late!

I'm just going for this famous goodie bag you all speak of :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Welcome!!

I wont be there Sunday either as I'm doing different training :)
    Its not a huge crowd, but on the best of days there can be upto 15 on the Sunday run. Theres a good crowd that goes out at 8am with another crew out at 8:45. The 8am crew usually drop by and pick up the 8.45 crew.

Try and contact Sarah (she's probably reading this :) ) - it be good for you to have someone there to hold your hand on the 1st day :)

Welcome!!

I wont be there Sunday either as I'm doing different training :)
    Its not a huge crowd, but on the best of days there can be upto 15 on the Sunday run. Theres a good crowd that goes out at 8am with another crew out at 8:45. The 8am crew usually drop by and pick up the 8.45 crew.

Try and contact Sarah (she's probably reading this :) ) - it be good for you to have someone there to hold your hand on the 1st day :)

Now I'm not sure if I can make it Sunday myself now! So might have to push it off till next week, perhaps the session on Wednesday or so. Really looking forward to getting in the swing of things :)

Now I'm not sure if I can make it Sunday myself now! So might have to push it off till next week, perhaps the session on Wednesday or so. Really looking forward to getting in the swing of things :)

Too early Damo? ;):pac::pac:

Good luck with the club Damo , going to join Portmarnock myself , hopefully catch up with you at Raheny I'd say you'll be ahead of me looking at your recent 5k race.

Good luck with the club Damo , going to join Portmarnock myself , hopefully catch up with you at Raheny I'd say you'll be ahead of me looking at your recent 5k race.

No chance! Way off holding that for 5 mile. Will definitely catch up at Raheny!

Saturday 13th January
    Just a little 3.5 mile run as I was informed the rain would be starting soon.... It never did!!

Sunday 14th January
    I was supposed to meet up with MSB for the first club run, but something came up so I couldn't. I knew I had to get a long run in, so I shot out when I got a chance. Over to the phoenix Park from the Ashtown gate, down behind the zoo and up Chesterfield then, loads of people out running and just busy in general. It seems like the whole of Strava was out but I was too late to see anyone. 11.2 for the day and my first long run since Dublin.

I'm glad I done it that way. I didn't force any long runs over the extended break I had, and it let the knee get much better (so far). I enjoyed the small runs and races, and excited to start prepping for Bohermeen now, and Raheny too :)

A measly 24.3 miles for the week :pac:

Been a while since I gave this a look, hasnt been a lot going on on the running front....

Didnt run at all for a week (15th Jan) just generally tired, eating crap and not feeling great all over, I just didnt have the focus for it.

Tuesday 23rd
    I got out for a 3 miler on Tuesday, planned a session for Wednesday but that fell short, blaming that one on work, mad week. Threw in a few strides, 3 @ 8:02 min/mi.

Friday 26th
    I done my first run-mute of the year, got a new backpack that was recommended on here so said id give that a shot, great little pack, it fit everything and didnt budge! 6.3 @ 8:02 min/mi.

Sunday 28th
    Going into this I wasnt expecting a huge race, time wise for myself. Little to no training done (laziness) and the legs hadnt seen a speed session in weeks. Me, skyblue and Lazare met up pre race, had a chat and off to do our warm-up! Got into the start area, tried bumping our way up but we were still a bit far back so I hopped the fence a bit further up. The MSB lads were just ahead of me, not for long... :pac:

I said id go out at 6:30/mi and try get a 32:30/33:00 but the first mile was too quick @ 6:03.

Met clickerquicklic round Mile 2, chatted very briefly as the two of us were gasping and stuck together with a bit of back and forth ;) Mile 2 @ 6:26/mi.

Mile 3 was more along the road until we got into the park, made up a bit more time here with a little less wind, clocked in @ 6:14/mi.

Mile 4 was into the park, great running through here people out supporting club members and stuff, good vibes. Hate that out and back, gave AMK a shout when he was wizzing past and turned at the cone were I finally got ahead of clicker :pac: Clocked @ 6.21/mi

Last mile out of the park and a little loop of the green at the finish, gave it welly on the last straight and was delighted to see @ 6.04/mi, delighted. Checked the time after a minute or so and seen 31:10 :eek:

4.9 @ 6:16 min/mi . 31.10 chip time

Met up again with clicker and we waited about for skyblue and Lazare, well deserved pint afterwards with a few of the gang!!

Really enjoyed the race, would definitely do it again!! Onto training for Bohermeen now!

Well done Damo fantastic running

• Advertisement
Advertisement