Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depressed over new job

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mark2912

I understand that I may be overreacting a little but words can't describe how horrible and nasty these managers are.

I feel like I am being bullied, I feel intimidated when they are present.

I have retail and admin experience through school work experience placements, but am unlikely to get a job in any of these areas due to not having relevant qualifications (as of yet) and also my age.

I am 18 in December so hopefully that will open up my job opportunities. But with a bit of luck I'll be out of my current job by then.

the_syco wrote: »
    If it's full time, how do you expect to do anything but the weekends?

Change them to what? During the week when you're mean to be at your PLC course?

Are they paying you minimum wage? Because as it's your first job, and you're 17, they don't have to....

=-=

I worked 8pm-4am Friday & Saturday night whilst in college. I'd have loved your hours, as mine would mess up my sleep routine every weekend!
    Stheno wrote: »
    Wh ast c ourse are you studying op?

A level 5 PLC in Business

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mark2912 wrote: »
    I understand that I may be overreacting a little but words can't describe how horrible and nasty these managers are.

I have retail and admin experience through school work experience placements, but am unlikely to get a job in any of these areas due to not having relevant qualifications (as of yet) and also my age.

I am 18 in December so hopefully that will open up my job opportunities. But with a bit of luck I'll be out of my current job by then.

So can you give one example even of their being horrible and nasty?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Learn how to do some stuff, and you'll get the respect you earn.

Respect isn’t ever something that should be needed to be ‘earned’, people should respect each other from the get go, a two way street.. if an employer has a ‘genuine’ issue with an employee, something that they are doing or not.. this needs to be communicated in a respectful, clear, concise and constructive manner.. if needs be remedial training..

Example: years ago I was working in a supermarket part time at the age of 17, one that a lad called ‘Ben’ owned. I was 90 minutes stacking and sorting out the freezer cabinets after the weekend when my hands were so cold that I was dropping product, I decided to take a quick on the job break, hands in pockets until they were warmed up... almost immediately a young manager whose name I’ll never forget came around the corner and had a freak attack.. “Strumms, we are not paying you to stand there with your hands in your pockets, get stacking !” I immediately tried to explain what I was doing and why but he cut me off, stepped forward, put his hand on my jumper and reefed the hands out of my pockets aggressively .. I was shocked, stunned. I just remember me being 17, him about 6’4 and 30ish but red mist descended... “ CG, if you ever put your hands on me again, you’ll spend your shift picking your fûcking teeth off the shop floor... he winced, bolted for security, I calmly walked out the door...

So respect goes a long way, if he had have paused... “hmmm what is Strumms doing, hey I’ll ask him !” Instead of being a prîck he learns something and doesn’t loose a decent employee... respect, two way, take zero shît off managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

You'll have mid term and Christmas holidays from school and you can have a lie in then. In fairness teens do like an occasional lie in so I understand. Try to go to bed earlier and be well rested.

You're doing the breakfast and lunch shift and the setting up in between. I would say the dinner shift is messier as people are drinking and forget to go home. Your nights could be very late by the time the last diners are gone especially with Christmas parties around the corner.
    Try to look on the bright side. Its only your first job and theres a lot to get used to. Do you have any banter with the customers? Are there any other employees you could get along better with? The money is good. The hours are long but I'm sure they fly by when you are busy.

If you really don't t like it then I'm sure theres lots of retail jobs now coming up to Christmas. They might not last after Christmas though as January Feb are quiet again.
    Look we all started somewhere and moved along. Treat it as part of the experience you are gaining in your plc year. Save up your money for whatever you'll be doing next year.
    And well done for going g our and getting yourself a part time.e job at 17. Youre going in the right direction. Chin up.

• Advertisement

So can you give one example even of their being horrible and nasty?

I'd be minding my business at the bar at non-busy periods, this bastard of a manager will come over and ask me "what are you up to" in a rude and intimidating tone, then order me to spend the next hour or half hour to set tables or polish cutlery. If I'm not doing it at a pace they expect they'll start clapping heir hands or clicking their fingers at me and telling me to hurry up, again in a rude and intimidating manner.

My colleagues sometimes witness this and agree with me when I open up to them about how I feel about it.

juneg wrote: »
    You'll have mid term and Christmas holidays from school and you can have a lie in then. In fairness teens do like an occasional lie in so I understand. Try to go to bed earlier and be well rested.

You're doing the breakfast and lunch shift and the setting up in between. I would say the dinner shift is messier as people are drinking and forget to go home. Your nights could be very late by the time the last diners are gone especially with Christmas parties around the corner.
    Try to look on the bright side. Its only your first job and theres a lot to get used to. Do you have any banter with the customers? Are there any other employees you could get along better with? The money is good. The hours are long but I'm sure they fly by when you are busy.

If you really don't t like it then I'm sure theres lots of retail jobs now coming up to Christmas. They might not last after Christmas though as January Feb are quiet again.
    Look we all started somewhere and moved along. Treat it as part of the experience you are gaining in your plc year. Save up your money for whatever you'll be doing next year.
    And well done for going g our and getting yourself a part time.e job at 17. Youre going in the right direction. Chin up.

I haven't really served customers as such, apart from dropping their food/drinks over to them. I'm not even allowed make coffees using the machine or use the tills, whole everybody else is. They say that this is because "I'm not there enough to get used to how things work", what absolute d***heads :mad:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd be minding my business at the bar at non-busy periods, this bastard of a manager will come over and ask me "what are you up to" in a rude and intimidating tone, then order me to spend the next hour or half hour to set tables or polish cutlery. If I'm not doing it at a pace they expect they'll start clapping heir hands or clicking their fingers at me and telling me to hurry up, again in a rude and intimidating manner.

My colleagues sometimes witness this and agree with me when I open up to them about how I feel about it.

So the manager is finding you doing nothing and asking you to do some work?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have retail and admin experience through school work experience placements
    Were either placements 6 months full time, or a years part time? Because a few weeks doesn't count.
    Firstly, I only live around the corner, so evening shifts wouldn't be a problem. Even later shifts at the weekend would be alright. I should be able to have a lie on at the weekend.
    Having worked in the kitchens of a restaurant, and a pub for a while, I know that the nicer shifts goto the people who worked the crap shifts during the week when they have to be there to keep the place open, but not get much, if any tips during said shifts.
    I get paid €11 an hour with no tax due to credits and USC exemption. I also get a dividend of tips left by customers.
    More money than min wage, and tips, and you still complain? Sheesh, you just can't please some people.
    Although pay seems to be reasonable enough, I would have no problem moving to a less-paid job if it meant better shifts and nicer people.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You're funny. Any other job will have less pay, and crapper shifts.
    Yup, managers will intimidate people. Hell, I'd say it's part of their job; weed out the useless newbies.

My advice; do a good great job, and your colleagues will appreciate you more, and your managers will keep an eye on someone else.

So the manager is finding you doing nothing and asking you to do some work?

It's not just that, it's how they say it. You'd swear it's a primary school the way I'm treated

• Advertisement

I'd be minding my business at the bar at non-busy periods, this bastard of a manager will come over and ask me "what are you up to" in a rude and intimidating tone
    You're paid to work. Or at least look busy.

It's not just that, it's how they say it. You'd swear it's a primary school the way I'm treated

Well you are 17 its your first job and you dont seem to understand that minding your business at the bar is not part of the job.

Have they had to ask you more than once to do stuff?

Were either placements 6 months full time, or a years part time? Because a few weeks doesn't count.

They were every Wednesday throughout the school year.

I did retail for 5th year, and admin for 6th. And enjoyed both.

But it is. You get rid of the useless people by treating them like crap.

Next weekend, find out what jobs need to be done on your off time.

So when you're not busy, you do these jobs. You don't need to do them at the speed of light, but doing them shows the manager two things;
    You're not being lazy
    You've shown initiative looking for work to do on the quite periods

They were every Wednesday throughout the school year.

I did retail for 5th year, and admin for 6th. And enjoyed both.
    Wednesday... when? 9am-5pm? 6pm-9pm?

Wednesday... when? 9am-5pm? 6pm-9pm?

Retail was usually 1pm to 5pm, and admin was 10am-3pm

These shifts were handy for me

Sounds to me like you are struggling to adapt to a more proper shift tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

OP, you say you recently started this job, how long ago is recently?

neddynasty wrote: »
    OP, you say you recently started this job, how long ago is recently?

Start of September

Start of September

So you've done six Saturdays?

• Advertisement

So you've done six Saturdays?

Six Saturdays and Sundays so far, and hopefully not much more

Start of September

So you're six weeks into your first job and, from the evidence of this thread so far, your issues are, you don't have a choice of shift, when when you're minding your own business the manager asks you to do something and you don't like the way they speak to you (which is subjective anyway). This is hilarious. By the sounds of it you're lucky to still be in employment.

And on how many of those 12 shifts have you had to be asked to set tables or polish cutlery rather than minding your business at the bar?

Have you ever asked if there is anything that needs to be done?

neddynasty wrote: »
    So you're six weeks into your first job and, from the evidence of this thread so far, your issues are, you don't have a choice of shift, when when you're minding your own business the manager asks you to do something and you don't like the way they speak to you (which is subjective anyway). This is hilarious. By the sounds of it you're lucky to still be in employment.

I started this forum for people's advice on how I can combat this bullying behaviour at the workplace.

But so far, people seem to be on the management's side. People need to realise that from a 17 year old's point of view, this can be quite horrible and can have an impact on their mental health.

If I was a bit better financially, I would've quit a long time ago

I started this forum for people's advice on how I can combat this bullying behaviour at the workplace.

But so far, people seem to be on the management's side. People need to realise that from a 17 year old's point of view, this can be quite horrible and can have an impact on their mental health.

Sorry op I worked in Dunnes Stores as a 16 year old in the 80s and it was far worse.

Apart from the break issue you need to realise work is not a bed of roses. Go in with a good attitude don't laze about and it will be easier

They're both half days. So you worked half a day a week for a year. I doubt anyone would call that actual experience.
    At least stick it out until after xmas; it'll be busy over xmas, and the tips will be a lot better. Also, as the PLC will have stopped, you can do other days.

Once the other staff see you work hard, you'll be treated better.
    People need to realise that from a 17 year old's point of view, this can be quite horrible and can have an impact on their mental health.
    YOU NEED TO REALISE that you cannot be lazy when you're meant to be working. Thus far, you've been told multiple times to do stuff, as you were doing nothing. Your managers see you as a lazy good for nothing, and you're not proving them wrong, as you say they've told you multiple times not to stand around doing nothing.

Shine the taps, the bar counter, the effing bar mirrors, cut lemons & limes.

I'm 37. Have worked pubs, restaurants, cinemas, call centres, etc. Your ilk will not last, as you don't like hard work.

I've read your posts again and I'm not sure you've conveyed the bullying behavior. You need to realize too that the management have hired you to do a job for a certain time of day. They don't care if you're 17 or 37. They just want a good job done. Maybe you're not expressing yourself properly but your posts read like you want to show up at a time that suits you, put minimal effort in and get paid for it. Those unicorn jobs don't really exist unfortunately.

Also, if you're you're worried about your mental health based on what you've described so far, then maybe you're not mature enough yet to be in employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Your working in a hotel. You're not getting bullied you are being told to work, maybe not in the best method but still not bullying.

You're lucky you're only starting in hotels now, the hospitality business was much worse to work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 paperdaisy

OP, reading your posts brings me back forty years to when I was in my first job! As the youngest, newest member of staff I felt constantly criticised and disrespected, but in time other newbies arrived so I was bumped up in the ratings.

I feel sure you're doing a good job, as they'd have shown you the door by now if you weren't earning your pay. It takes time to get used to the world of work, and from the sounds of it you've worked only twelve shifts. Learning to 'look busy' is one of the skills that will help you in this and any future job.

That said, this is just a temporary job that you'll be moving on from. Make the most of the experience and, if lack of appreciation from the boss does become too much, you can always leave. Also, at seventeen you're still growing and need your rest. If you're studying fulltime all week as well working Saturday and Sunday you would need lots of early nights to catch up on your sleep. (It's no wonder you're finding the job a bit much...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sonas93

Let this be a good lesson to you OP, work hard now in any job you find yourself in, realize its not forever, learn what you can and avoid these types of jobs as much as you can as you get older, study hard and gain valuable skills in an area you might enjoy. This is when you will see people have no choice but to respect you if they want you to do the job. Growing up I never did well in these types of work and this might make me sound lazy but theyre just too much hard work and often your treated so bad and disposable and as a result I avoided them and sacrificed a lot with what little money I had over the years. Best thing I ever done. I used my time to study hard rather than working hard every weekend and I was happy. Now Im in a very flexible job that I don’t dread going into and its only my second proper job!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement