Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reliable and relatively cheap smart watches?

Options
  • 03-09-2019 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

What would you reccomend.

Ideally I wouldn't be paying more than 100€

Looking on sites like baggood etc but you just never know what you're getting!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Look at the Amazfit range. Some decent stuff.

amazfit bip if you want notifications, gps, step tracking, heart rate - 60 euro

amazfit pace for cheapest option with storage for mp3's - 90 euro

then verge (non-lite version) - 110 euro

then stratos - 140

all chinese site prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭biebiebie

I have the Amazfit Bip for almost a year now (well feels like it).
    Always on display using coloured e-ink technology. The brighter the environment, the brighter the screen becomes. Plus there's a backlight for during nighttime which you can configure with start/end time, and turns on for about 5 seconds (configurable) when you raise your hand.

I get upwards of 60-70 days per charge.
    I use GPS several times during the week for about 30 minutes a time.
    Love the way you can download watchfaces....although it won't be looking super bright or as sharp as an amoled screen.
    And it's waterproof too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

biebiebie wrote: »
    I get upwards of 60-70 days per charge.
    I use GPS several times during the week for about 30 minutes a time.

Congratulations, you're getting at least twice as much usage between charges than the marketing team themselves have ventured possible.

Lucky you!

Congratulations, you're getting at least twice as much usage between charges than the marketing team themselves have ventured possible.

Lucky you!

Haha you're dead right!
    Just checked and I'm at 54% and last charged 17 days ago.
    So more realistically 40-50 days...but "feels like" a lot more ;)

• Advertisement

I still think you're off by some factor though. GPS is a big battery drain but your claim beats my own Bip's battery life MINUS GPS usage.

My Bip setup: Sleep HR monitoring only, call/text notifications, no GPS. Battery down to 10% after ~35 days (which I then charge to stop the "low battery" reminder even though there're days left!)

Maybe you just got a Bip built with a good batch of batteries?

Ah I see a difference.
    You have notifications switched on.
    Personally I found them a distraction so have them switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Pha! Listening to you two! I have to charge my hawuei 2 every night lol...

Plus I only ever have GPS on when I'm actually tracking an activity like a brisk walk, as I use the VO2 Max info .
    Outside of that activity I don't use the heart rate monitor.

Yeah, HR monitoring is a big drain. Relatively speaking, T-Bird :)

Got the Bip because all the super-smart watches need almost as much attention as phones battery-wise. The Bip is smart enough for me - always on display a huge plus too. It gets brighter the more light it gets. So easy to see even on the sunniest of days and an automatic light for when it's dull or dark.

• Advertisement

the bip is not a smart watch tho - it's basically an activity tracker.

if that's all you need fine but the other watches that run more intensive applications and even a full operating system need 10x the battery power - just the way it is.

glasso wrote: »
    the bip is not a smart watch tho - it's basically an activity tracker.

if that's all you need fine but the other watches that run more intensive applications and even a full operating system need 10x the battery power - just the way it is.

No need to be a snob about it! The Bip very much IS a smart watch. Just because there are "better" ones out there (i.e. the daily chargers) doesn't mean the Bip doesn't make the grade.

I chose the Bip mainly because of the battery life - absolutely beats the pants off everything else. You can't send a text from it though? Well f00k me like that's something I'd ever want to do! Control your music? Like what are the buttons on my BT headphones for?

In summary, most super-smart watches aren't worth the cost and hassle. Bip covers all the basics well enough for most users I'd bet.

Is a Ford Focus not a car because there are Ferraris?

there is nothing wrong with the bip - I didn't say that. I was comparing the battery life requirements.

you can get fitness bands that have all the same features, including gps.

they are activity trackers.

i.e. they report steps, sleep, gps and pass through notifications. maybe even with some music control features.

smart watches have added features like apps, responding to notifications on the watch, taking calls, dictation, music storage, offline spotify, full sim capability etc.

Maybe. But this a "cheap" thread so there are inevitable trade-offs to be expected.

And I wouldn't trade this stellar battery life for anything a "true" smart watch can do!

And all for €50. Genius.

The always on display is great for info glancing.
    Many times a day I even find myself checking the date, not to mention time, calories burned, distance walked, footsteps and the weather min/max temp for the day...and all on the one screen too (enabled by my current watchface).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Maybe. But this a "cheap" thread so there are inevitable trade-offs to be expected.

And I wouldn't trade this stellar battery life for anything a "true" smart watch can do!

And all for €50. Genius.

50 quid, where can you get it for that? Cheapest I can find is 65 before postage!

The pace can be got for 90 and its tempting me a little bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

thehamo wrote: »
    50 quid, where can you get it for that? Cheapest I can find is 65 before postage!

The pace can be got for 90 and its tempting me a little bit more

They were going for €40~ when the first came out - Price has gone up.

Was just under €50 actually. Goota love pre-release discounts many of the chionese retailers do.

489938.png

Was just under €50 actually. Goota love pre-release discounts many of the chionese retailers do.

489938.png

nice

nice

Available for €57.13 from HK: https://www.geekbuying.com/item/English-Version-Huami-Amazfit-Smartwatch-Youth-Edition-382249.html

Flash sale for next 3.5 days, free shipping from HK.

There's a coupon available from tomorrow (not sure if stackable on Flash sale price though).

3% Off
    Order Value Over $0
    Coupon Code: SEP002
    Validity: Sep 6th – Sep 20th

Would bring price down to €55.42

• Advertisement

I just checked and I paid $60.99 from GearBest in February 2018.
    Equats to a little over €55.

biebiebie wrote: »
    I just checked and I paid $60.99 from GearBest in February 2018.
    Equats to a little over €55.

Actually took a punt in the pace. I like the idea of streaming music from the watch and not having to bring the phone out!

Got it for 85 delivered on amazon.de.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Actually took a punt in the pace. I like the idea of streaming music from the watch and not having to bring the phone out!

Got it for 85 delivered on amazon.de.

I love mine.

Go here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/smartwatch/amazfit

Lots you can do with the watch. Amazmod transforms it:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/smartwatch/amazfit/app-amazmod-t3810252

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Anyone have an idea where the best deal is on this watch at the mo?
    Looking to upgrade from Pebble 2 with dissolving buttons

youngblood wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea where the best deal is on this watch at the mo?
    Looking to upgrade from Pebble 2 with dissolving buttons

on the pace? As I said, I got it 85 on Amazon.de The only other place I saw was aliexpress for 85 with free delivery, but you're liable to taxes on that. definitely couldn't find it any cheaper than that anywhere

on the pace? As I said, I got it 85 on Amazon.de The only other place I saw was aliexpress for 85 with free delivery, but you're liable to taxes on that. definitely couldn't find it any cheaper than that anywhere

I got mine a year ago. There was an offer on Hotdeals for €70. I was about to buy the Bip but the Pace seemed better value.

Best to use Geekbuying, Honorbuy etc that have EU Warehouses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

How do you guys find the GPS on the pace in terms of speed to lock in and accuracy?
    I just got an Amazfit GTR and the GPS is awful. It pretty much would not lock in GPS at all today for me. Really disappointing as it's a beautiful watch to look at

• Advertisement

How do you guys find the GPS on the pace in terms of speed to lock in and accuracy?
    I just got an Amazfit GTR and the GPS is awful. It pretty much would not lock in GPS at all today for me. Really disappointing as it's a beautiful watch to look at

Post the problem on XDA. There is a big thread on GPS issues with the GTR

https://forum.xda-developers.com/smartwatch/amazfit

Advertisement