Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

The Catalan adventure continues. 50 miles as planned, all of them pre-breakfast and some of them reasonably hilly, 4,200 foot for the week and even more last week, a quick scan through Strava reckons they're my hilliest weeks running ever. If I'm being honest I'm getting a little sick of running in the heat and hills, every run is a good deal tougher than my usual commutes but it's better than rapidly losing fitness. I took today off just so I don't get too burned out.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    8th July|10.2 miles|8:57|Down Diagonal to Primaveraland, along the beaches to Las Ramblas and then back up to Gracia.
    9th July|10 miles|9:09|A bit of a random run, up Diagonal to Camp Nou then back to Gracia via some parts of Barcelona that I wasn't very familiar with.
    10th July|5 miles|9:46|Hungover and out later than usual, so decided to go up to Parc Guell.
    11th July|8 miles|9:17|Up towards Tibidabo, except I followed a road that I kept seeing cyclists on, just before the awful stairs. It quickly turned into lovely path, winding around the hills. I cut it a little short and hopped off but will be back to see where it goes.
    12th July|7 miles|9:25|Another hungover run, this wasn't pleasant in the heat.
    13th July|10.7 miles|8:51|Looking for a less brutal way up Tibidabo, I followed a different road the whole way up. Turned back once I got to where the stairs end. Looks like there are some other cycle trails up there to explore.

Total: 51.3 miles
    Next week: Probably a higher chance of missed runs due to finishing up working over here so transitioning to full holiday mode, a friend coming over and a trip to a theme park.

This ended up being an ok week milage wise, though of course with not any real quality running, other than hills/heat/no food. Over 5000 ft in elevation which is another world record. I have a mild niggle in my left foot, it feels tender to walk on first thing in the morning and occasionally I can feel some mild throbbing. No real location of the niggle, other than not the toes/heel/achilles, it's kind of the entire left side. As usual I intend to completely ignore it, but documenting it here just in case it turns into something else :) I guess it could be as a result of the hills, though I also only have one pair of runners over with me (my most recent pair of Brooks Ghosts 11), so running in the same runners every day could be a factor too.

Also got the "you're in" mail from Anto for Donadea! :D

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    15th July|9.2 miles|9:02|Up to the Tibidabo tralls again.
    16th July|9.7 miles|8:43|Same as above, except went in a different direction. Ended up running through some nice parts of the city I hadn't seen before, seemed like the Ballsbridge of Barca with consulates, English schools, gated apartment complexes etc.
    17th July|8.5 miles|9:05|Up Montjuic past the Olympic stadium etc.
    18th July|10.3 miles|8:08|Down Diagonal to El Forum, where I started running behind a fit looking local. I decided to use him as a pace setter and did 3 sub-8 miles with him. We broke up around Barceloneta and I made my way back up to Gracia via Las Ramblas. Running faster was fun!
    19th July|6.5 miles|8:51|Just a few easy miles. Down to Citudella.
    20th July|10.5 miles|8:49|More running around the hills.
    21st July|5.4 miles|8:36|A few early easy miles

Total: 60.3 miles
    Next week: Back home on Friday. Looks like it's going to be even hotter over here, and I'm off to Port Aventura for a night without running gear, so less milage. Intend to do a parkrun on Satruday to see how much speed I've lost.

A week with two days off running (!), but the with some reasonable quality too. The week started in Port Aventura (not a total success due to the kids not enjoying the hot weather), and I didn't bring my runners with me so that was a day off. My Barcelona adventure came to a close on Friday, but I didn't go out for a run that morning due to the logistical problems of not wanting to pack sweaty running gear, and by the time we got back home I was in no form for a run after a long day hanging around the airport with kids etc. Saturday's parkrun time trial went pretty well. The purpose of it was to see how much speed I'd lost in Barcelona. I was worried that the trip would be similar to last summer's SF trip where I completely slacked off, however it didn't really turn out that way and I ended up doing some running of reasonable quality (i.e. a lot of hills) though nothing fast. I did Malahide parkrun just before we left in a slightly disappointing 18:55, and then yesterday I ran 18:36, my third fastest 5k (though after a rest day). I've no idea what this really means other than I guess I haven't completely lost all my fitness :)

I started into the first run for DCM today with a 12 mile long run at Hanson long run pace. The prescribed pace was 7:29 according to the book, however I ended up doing it all a bit faster, mostly because I turned off mile splits so was mostly using my Garmin's current pace to track my speed and was trying to keep it under 7:29 and doing a bad job of that :) The effort got a little hard near the end, but otherwise was comfortable enough and an enjoyable run.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    23rd July|10.7 miles|8:53|Up my now favoured route around the foothills of Tibidabo, which avoids the staircases and extremely steep roads, along the trails for a few miles and then down through Vallcarca.
    24th July|10.2 miles|7:57|Another of my favoured routes, down Diagonal to El Forum, along the beaches and then back up to Gracia via Las Ramblas and Passeig De Gracia. Decided to throw in some faster miles along the beach but quickly got put in my place by the heat, effort level was very high, so eased off. Still a good paced run overall.
    25th July|10.7 miles|9:01|Another run around the foothills and my last run in Barcelona.
    27th July|9.2 miles|?|To, from and Malahide parkrun in 18:36
    28th July|15.7 miles|7:38|Including 12 miles at 7:17 average pace. Fastest 7:11, slowest 7:20. Did loops around Rivervalley which has some good drags, and it involved running into the wind for a long stretch.

Total: 56.7 miles

Next week: Obviously I'm going to start messing with the plan :pac: For the next few weeks I'll just do the Tuesday Vo2 max track sessions at the club. The distance is the same as the Hanson sessions (4.8 or 5 km) and the purpose and pace is pretty much the same, though the reps are progressively longer in the Hanson plan. When the plan switches the Tuesday session to be "Strength" instead of "Speed" then I'll start doing those instead. Thursday will be 7@MP. I will probably switch the long run to Saturday as I have a wedding drinks thing to go to that night. The following weekend I'll be in Italy for another damn wedding so I will do 12@Hanson Long Run pace again. I might cut the commutes down a little, especially on Wednesday which is supposed to be a rest day.

Week 1 of the Hanson/Singer training plan done! The first one is the hardest, right? :pac:

Tuesday's track session wasn't amazing but I had loads of excuses: first fast session in over a month, it was raining, I gave up caffeine the day before so was feeling groggy and I was a little tired from the weekend's hard parkrun followed by the fast longish run. I did the first of many marathon pace miles early on Thursday morning, a little fast but on a flat loop. And as threatened I did next week's the long run on Saturday as I'll be in Italy for a wedding. It was ok, again a little fast on a bumpy loop around Rivervalley. I really didn't plan it, but couldn't resist doing 3.1 of the run at Rivervalley parkrun. I cut it tight enough so that I was only standing around for it to start for a few minutes, and didn't hang around afterwards for chats and finished the run. Despite a lot of sessions (5 in 8 days) I'm feeling good, no niggles etc.

So here's what the plan looks like right now, taking into account some shuffling around for travel and changing up the final week a little as I like doing a few MP miles that week. I'm registered for both the Frank Duffy and Dublin half, but right now am not planning on doing either, though am vaguely tempted by showing up at the half, though not sure what would make sense to run. Feedback very welcome!
    singer-dcm-2019.png?raw=1

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    29th July|10 miles|9:01|Commute
    30th July|7.9 miles|?|Cru session in the rain. 4 x (800, 400) off 75, 60. 2:54, 1:23, 2:56, 1:25, 3:00, 1:27, 2:58, 1:24. Not great.
    31st July|9.1 miles|9:05|Commute
    1st August|10.8 miles|?|Up at 6AM and out just a glass of water before heading out. Jog to Holywell Junior parkrun, 7 miles@6:43, jog home. Very happy with this!
    2nd August|10.5 miles|9:13|Commute to my sister-in-law's on the other side of Swords, which included running through a forest (there's no path to the estate)
    3rd August|13.7 miles|?|Short jog to the Rivervalley loop, 6 miles looping, then Rivervalley parkrun and then another loop to make up the 12 miles. Average pace 7:14, some good drags and hills in there too.
    4th August|8.4 miles|8:45|Easy miles to and from Malahide

Total: 70.6 miles

July total: 236. A few days off due to the Barca trip meant lower milage than usual.

Next week: As above, just the two sessions and then some running in Italy squeezed around a wedding. I'll be able to put all that warm weather training to some use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Giving up caffeine , why?

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Giving up caffeine , why?

I drink 2 or 3 cups a day in work, occasionally more. At the weekends or days off I get headaches if I don't drink coffee at the same frequency, which is annoying. I could probably cut down to one cup a day or so and not get headaches, but I decided to just go cold turkey to break the habit. It took until Friday to feel normal again! My work routine is now to drink a cup of decaf when I get in, and some sort of mint tea later in the day. I guess it might make a pre-race caffeine hit more potent, but it was definitely for general comfort reasons and not running that I did it :)

Singer wrote: »
    I drink 2 or 3 cups a day in work, occasionally more. At the weekends or days off I get headaches if I don't drink coffee at the same frequency, which is annoying. I could probably cut down to one cup a day or so and not get headaches, but I decided to just go cold turkey to break the habit. It took until Friday to feel normal again! My work routine is now to drink a cup of decaf when I get in, and some sort of mint tea later in the day. I guess it might make a pre-race caffeine hit more potent, but it was definitely for general comfort reasons and not running that I did it :)

Ah ok, suppose it effects us all differently. I find I benefit from drinking it, two mugs a day no more though. I worked with a lady who was a Coke addict, ended up in A&E with severe headaches when she tried giving up!!

Whee... an exciting two week catchup. Spoilers: I did all the sessions in the Hanson/Singer plan, and they went to plan though effort levels are still a bit too high for the MP stuff. Milage a bit low due to the wedding in Italy.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    5th August|10.2 miles|8:26|A nice bank holiday run around last year's Frank Duffy course
    6th August|8.7 miles|?|Over to Irishtown for the Crusaders session, which was 3 x 800s off 90, 3 x 600s off 75 and 3 x 300s off 60. Times were (178, 172, 171), (131, 127, 129), (63, 62, 58). One of the more fun sessions but paces were a bit weird.
    7th August|9.1 miles|9:05|Commute home
    8th August|11 miles|7:27|Up at the crack of down for 7 @ MP around the Holywell Junior Parkrun arena. Ended up with 6:40 average pace: 6.40, 6:41, 6:38, 6:42, 6:42, 6:40, 6:38. Heart rate and effort were elevated for the last two.
    9th August|0 miles|-|Travelling to Bellagio for a wedding. Up at 4.30AM for the flight, by the time we got to Bellagio, checked in, car parked (easier said than done) and fed it was nearly the evening and we needed a nap before the pre-wedding drinking started...
    10th August|10.7 miles|8:43|Out around noon into the midday heat due to an excessive lie-on. Spent the run looking for somewhere good to run, which in the end there wasn't. The environs of Bellagio is beautiful, hilly and mostly pathless, so I ended up looping around. Over 1,600ft of climbing.
    11th August|0 miles|-|Post wedding hangover.

Total: 50 miles

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    12th August|0 miles|-|Post post-wedding hangover and travel back home.
    13th August|8.3 miles|?|Cru session once again. 4 x (600, 400, 200 off 75, 60, 120). After taking two days off I kind of punished myself a bit here, and paid for it by suffering a fair bit on the track and ended up with two calves that were quite sore for a few days afterwards. Silly Singer.
    14th August|10 miles|9:09|A commute that felt completely rubbish. After the weekend on the pi$$ I still wasn't sleeping well. Commutes are usually very boring affairs, but this was notable in its rubbishness.
    15th August|10.8 miles|7:35|Back up to the Holywell arena at 6 in the morning for some MP miles. Splits hit, but again felt rubbish and the last 3 miles were way too hard, a look at HRM data afterwards confirmed. Average pace of 6:46: 6:49, 6:42, 6:45, 6:45, 6:44, 6:48, 6.50.
    16th August|10 miles|8:35|Got a good night's sleep, headed out for an afternoon run around some of the DCM course before attending a work party. Nice run, felt a zillion times better than the previous day. Got amazingly soaked in the rain.
    17th August|8.3 miles|?|Was up early with one of the kids and used the excuse of going to a parkrun to get some hangover clearing miles done early enough in the day. Decided at the last minute to head over to Rivervalley, was going to just run it easy but ended up doing it at a steady pace. Just after I finished, so did murph_d who finally showed up at my local run to see what all the fuss about the hill was about :) Had an enjoyable cooldown with him after!
    18th August|15.3 miles|7:18|The kids were at the cinema so popped over to The Phoenix Park for my third Hanson long run, this time the distance extending to 14 miles. Target pace was 7:22. I did a mile warm-up, and then got stuck in. It was windy and I made it a little hillier by following the DCM route up to Myos. Passed AMK in my penultimate mile, and I anti-socially didn't stop as I didn't want to ruin my nice splits, so a "hi" sufficed :) Average pace for the 14 was 7:12, generally felt great and the HRM data agrees.

Total: 62.8 miles

Next week: A higher milage week would be good. MP tempo steps up to 8, long run up to 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hey - no worries, I was doing my warm down - had I of stopped, I doubt I'd of got going again!

Almost a good week, until the last few miles which went off the rails :mad:

I did everything I needed to this week, and then a little more. I couldn't resist throwing in a parkrun pacing effort on Saturday, proceeding the 15 mile Hanson Long Run on Sunday. I then had a few beers on Saturday night, but also was able to wait until after lunchtime or so to head out for the run on Sunday. So off I went, doing a nice 1 mile warmup (8:12) before speeding up to faster than the prescribed pace (7:22). I felt great for the next few miles! I was actually thinking that I felt in great shape and that maybe this training is actually working. Then somewhere around Portmarnock beach on the way back to Swords, things got harder. I started drinking the bottle of Lucozade Sport I had been carrying, and noticed that I was quite thirsty. Then my stomach went a bit weird and I did a "wet burp" which through me off a little. By the time I got past Malahide village I was struggling to keep pace, feeling quite tired. I made the not great decision to run down the estuary which isn't the quickest of routes as the surface is gravel/grass and is exposed to the wind and sun, which just helped me slow down. I was going to do 16 or 17 miles with the 15 sandwiched in the middle, but there was no point in extending the run as things were going pear-shaped, so I just did the 15. When I got home I drank a load of water... and then later on when out for dinner I ordered a jug of tap water immediately, and drank the entire thing in 5 minutes. So the conditions (heat, hangover) had an effect, which was very disappointing.

Mile splits in the end were:
    8:12, 7:16, 7:19, 7:15, 7:13, 7:19, 7:17, 7:17, 7:19, 7:18, 7:20, 7:22, 7:31, 7:42, 8:13

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    19th August|10 miles|8:51|Commute, partially with Crockmac for the first time in ages!
    20th August|9.7 miles|?|Cru session. 8 x 600s off 200ish jog (2:14, 2:15, 2:16, 2:11, 2:15, 2:12, 2:15, 2:09). Was in a group for this, good camaraderie though I got stuck a few times.
    21st August|9.1 miles|9:00|Commute
    22nd August|11.8 miles|7:26|Up at 6AM to do the MP session as usual. This went a good bit better than the previous week, went into it tired but didn't struggle to hit the desired paces. The 8 ended up being (6:46, 6:45, 6:43, 6:44, 6:46, 6:45, 6:42, 6:42). I did this at the Holywell Junior Parkrun MP Bowl, which has a good view of the planes landing at the airport. Interestingly, somewhere around mile 4 or so an American Airlines plane did a go-around while landing. Later on that day in work I ended up listening to the air traffic control feed archives to find out what happened. It turns out that 4 swans invaded the runway, and so a Ryanair jet was stuck for a few minutes and couldn't take off.
    23rd August|9.3 miles|8:57|Commute
    24th August|9.8 miles|?|Pacing 22 minutes at Malahide parkrun. Came in 25 seconds early :( Went through half-way perfectly on pace, and then as usual GPS went crazy as we went into the forest. Where I think that 4km marker had me in 15 seconds under, but I must have kept going faster. Both my last 2 pacing parkruns have come in way under.
    25th August|15.1 miles|7:28|Hanson Long Run as above.

Total: 75 miles
    Next week: A bit of a pull-back week, partially due to travel to Edinburgh for work for most of the week. Will get two sessions in though (and maybe a parkrun ;) ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Nice running around Holyrood Park if you are near that part of Edinburgh B.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The parkrun on the seafront over there is a good one. I took a bus out and ran back (9 miles I think).

Two Hanson sessions that went well, and some running around Edinburgh. Though the real highlight was my 9 year old kid deciding he wanted to do parkrun with me on Saturday morning. He's not a great runner, as has been clear from many Junior Parkruns, but we got through it together and have probably bonded as a solid father/son unit as a result ;) We finished in just under 43 minutes, so it's probably a bit cheeky to count as "running", as in reality it was a mix of very slow jogging, lots of walking and occasional inexplicable sprinting. I did sweat though and had to have a shower when I got home.

Other than a bit of tiredness, and I think my appetite has stepped up a gear, running is going fine and I have no niggles to worry about.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    26th August|10 miles|8:56|A commute
    27th August|7.6 miles|?|Up at the crack of dawn to get the Hanson session in before flying to Scotland. Session was 3 x 1600 at 6:02 so decided on 3 x sub-6 1 miles: 5:58, 5:57, 5:58.
    28th August|5 miles|10:47|Morning run in Edinburgh, went up Arthur’s Seat (800+ feet climbing). It wasn't very runnable near the top, and I got stuck behind some people on the way down. Good fun hopping around the hill, and it was funny to be at the top in shorts and t-shirts compared to all the hikers around me who were fully dressed for some Scottish weather conditions (it was very windy in fairness). On the way back down I started to question why on earth I was running up a rocky death-trap in a pair of regular old runners when I'm supposed to be training for a marathon... it was good fun though.
    28th August|5 miles|8:44|A few non-hilly miles around nice parks beside the University (The Meadows).
    29th August|5.9 miles|8:36|Running randomly around Edinburgh, skirted Holyrood and some of The Meadows again. Some DOMS in my quads from the hill running.
    30th August|10 miles|9:04|Commute, still some minor DOMS. Passed the 2000 mile mark for 2019.
    31st August|3.1 miles|13:17|Rivervalley parkrun. Not sure if this counts as a run....
    31st August|12 miles|7:23|Out after dinner with what felt like was a gigantic stomach. I was worried that this would get sore or otherwise interfere with the planned session, though it didn't really happen. 8 miles at MP: 6:40, 6:42, 6:42, 6:45, 6:38, 6:42, 6:41, 6:36. This felt great and I could have continued for a good while longer. Heart rate data agrees. I did this around one of my session spots in Swords, on a tarmac path around Ridgewood pitches. It's about a 500m loop and has a slight elevation change on each lap which keeps the effort changing. My 10 mile PB is 6:36 pace... looking pretty soft now.
    1st September|13.5 miles|8:44|Only 10 on the plan but no harm in something a bit more. Not much more than 12 hours after the session though, legs were a bit creaky at the start and I've been tired all day since, just as you should be during marathon training! Went out to Malahide Castle and surroundings.

Total: 72.4 miles (including the parkrun! :pac:)
    August total: 290 miles

Next week: Hanson sessions starting to get serious. 6x1 mile at ~6:30 pace on Tuesday (prescribed pace for 2:55, doesn't seem impossible), 8 miles at MP on Thursday and 16 at ~7:20 on Saturday/Sunday.

This week's sessions were:
    6x1 mile off 400 at 6:30 pace. Averaged 6:26.
    8 miles @ MP. Averaged 6:50.
    16 @ 7:15. Averaged 7:13.

Also threw in pacing 21 minutes @ Rivervalley parkrun, finished in 20:58

Sounds great, eh? In reality this week felt like a nightmare.

I decided to try doing the Tuesday strength session at the club in the lanes where the marathoners do their thing. I've run different sessions a couple of times in the past, it's not terrible as things go on as the different paces of the marathoners means that everybody is well spread out anyway. The marathoners were doing a timed session, 40 minutes at varying paces, and mine would have me on the track a little longer. The pace started to hurt pretty early on. Conditions were windy and humid which may have been a factor, and I was very parched by the end. I managed to hold pace though the effort was hard towards the finish. It was heartbreaking watching everybody finish their sessions while I plodded around.

That night I woke up in the middle of the night with a splitting headache around 2AM and could get back to sleep for 2-3 hours. When I weighed myself in the morning I was nearly a kilo lighter than the day before, so I probably dehydrated myself. I was at a work thing out of the office all day Tuesday and so possibly wasn't hydrating as per my normal routine. On Wednesday I was out late at a comedy gig, but threw in a post-work jog. I didn't drink but was home relatively late so sleep wasn't amazing... and I was up on Thursday at 6AM or so to do the MP session. This was difficult, I didn't feel great going out. It was pretty windy too, and for whatever reason I decided to do the session to and along the coast. After I turned around at Portmarnock the second half was mostly into the wind, and I fell off the pace, the last 3 being all >3 hour marathon pace. Thursday and Friday were stressful days in work, with some last minute prep for a conference talk and then the conference itself, and I decided to not bother running on Friday and just go to the pub. My left big toe had been sore all day on Friday so a rest was probably a good idea.

The pacing gig at parkrun went well despite the hangover, the usual nice crowd at Rivervalley and the pace felt fine. I finished 3rd but did drag a few along with me before burning them off with my beautifully consistent pace, and I got a couple of thank yous which is always nice. hardworker of these parts was on tunnel duty and complimented my pacing which I was pretty happy with! After getting home my toe went even worse and it was pretty painful all day. I think I had been a little aggressive with the clippers recently and the nail area got a bit infected, so I applied antiseptic cream all day and even bought an ingrown toenail kit which wasn't much use.

Later on Saturday, I started feeling a cold coming on. There was one doing the rounds in work and the kids seemed a bit ratty and snotty so it was probably inevitable. Now is probably not the worst time to get a cold, better now than any other week closer to the marathon, but it's still a pain. I woke up again in the middle of the night on Saturday night with a headache and had another bad night's sleep. I was thinking of not bothering with the long run, but ended up pushing it to the end of the day and took the rest of the day relatively easy. The toe infection appeared to be on the mend and was only sore when touched. I was pretty tired and mucousy all day but didn't feel the worst going out. I locked into a decent effort and ended up enjoying the run, listening to Friday's Second Captains and Saturday's Giles Peterson BBC Radio 6 Music show in the nice mild evening. Historically I've done loads of good long runs on Sunday autumn evenings, and this was one of the best. I still feel pretty crumby with the cold and I'm sure it'll eat into next week a bit.

Anyway, well done to anybody who's read all my moans. I need to get better at sleep, hydration, drinking less alcohol, taking better care of my feet and not getting colds. Pretty basic stuff :)

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    2nd September|10 miles|9:03|A commute
    3rd September|12.8 miles|?|Over to Irishtown for the session on the track. 6 x 1 mile off 400ish jog: 6:23, 6:27, 6:28, 6:26, 6:28, 6:26
    4th September|7.6 miles|8:54|Jog around after work, followed the DCM route to Chesterfield and then back into town.
    5th September|10 miles|?|8@MP - 6:51, 6:48, 6:44, 6:46, 6:51, 6:53, 6:5, 6:53
    7th September|8.7 miles|?|Rivervalley parkrun @ 20:58
    8th September|17 miles|?|16@7:13 and a mile warmup

Total: 66.3 miles
    Next week: Get over this cold. Tuesday is 4 x 1.5 miles off 800, 9 miles @ MP will probably get pushed to Friday as I'm working from home so can do it at lunch.

Your training is going great B.

Prior to starting this block, you had built a huge base with your legendary runmutes - how are the levels of fatigue now compared to then (i.e. have the sessions left you bollixed :) )

Also - following this block - will you return to your mileage from runmutes or change anything??

I'm definitely tired-er. Who would have thought that adding on bit more quality running would do that? I was doing similar milage back in April/May and that felt a lot easier, as I guess it had a lot more junk miles proportionally, and I was only really doing 1.5 decent sessions a week.

I've been a bit sloppy. Busy with work, not sleeping as well etc. that I'm trying to correct. I'm going to start taking a few random days off work to reduce the 6AM starts and general busyness... I just submitted the time off requests, so thanks for making me think of this!

No plans to change my general runmute setup, I'm sure I'll fall back into my usual pattern in November, though in theory I should be training for sub-4 glory at Donadea :)

Singer wrote: »
    I've been a bit sloppy. Busy with work, not sleeping as well etc. that I'm trying to correct. I'm going to start taking a few random days off work to reduce the 6AM starts and general busyness...

I love that - life is busy, running is busy, work is busy.

The fix is to keep running and reduce work :)

Cold schmold. Despite being a cranky snot-production machine this week, it didn't really make any difference to my running and I ran my highest milage week since my doomed DCM attempt in 2016. The prescribed Hanson sessions went well other than occasional coughing and snotting. The best part of the week was Rivervalley parkrun. Utterly beautiful morning and having run the session the day before I was only going to be running easy. The weather was amazing and even better denis_b was there doing a bit of touristing, so the parkrun was spent nattering away. It was a special day at Rivervalley as one of the regular runners was doing a memorial run for his wife who passed away recently, and so a load of Clonliffe Harriers and TT Racers showed up in their singlets out of respect, massively increasing the size and quality of the field. Shame to not be able to take advantage and run it hard, but that's not in the plan :)

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    9th September|10.3 miles|8:27|Commute
    10th September|12.4 miles|?|4 x 1.5 miles off 0.5 jog, done on the Crusaders track on lane 7/8 with the marathoners. I figured out a new trick, when doing a different session wait 'til the other one has started and the runners are half-way around the track, then start so that by the time you're going past/getting passed by other runners they're well spread out. Paces were good: 6:23, 6:24, 6:25, 6:22
    11th September|10.1 miles|8:50|Commute
    12th September|10 miles|8:49|Commute
    13th September|12.7 miles|7:08|Half-day off work so did this in the morning listening to Mary Anne Hobbs on Radio 6. Went over to Holywell Junior Parkrun stadium. This felt good and went robotically well: 6:39, 6:39, 6:39, 6:37, 6:38, 6:39, 6:38, 6:38, 6:31.
    14th September|8.8|?|Rivervalley parkrun as above
    15th September|15.7 miles|7:50|10 on the plan but felt like doing a bit more... also 80 is a nice round number. Went out at an enjoyable pace, wasn't watch-watching at all. It's nice running in the drizzle. Did the Malahide/Collins Avenue/Santry loop, listening to the Michael Owen interview on Second Captains (better than expected, Ken did well) and a podcast about the airline industry (avtalk). I dunno why I listen to the airplanes one, but I really like it. Maybe living beside the airport all my life?

Total: 80.4 miles
    Next week: 3x2 miles@~6:30 on Tuesday, 9@MP Friday, 16@long run on Sunday. Another 80 miles would be great. I think I could destroy my HM PB but have no FOMO for missing next week's Dublin Half, all eyes on DCM.

Serious week Brian; great run on Friday.....well on track to the sub 3 train on Marathon day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Does the Hanson plan you're following give you the option of racing a half? Would be very interested to see how you'd go in a HM right now. Things ticking over very nicely here B :)

• Advertisement

Serious week Brian; great run on Friday.....well on track to the sub 3 train on Marathon day.

Thanks! Plenty of time to mess things up :) You're in the mix as well I reckon!
    healy1835 wrote: »
    Does the Hanson plan you're following give you the option of racing a half? Would be very interested to see how you'd go in a HM right now. Things ticking over very nicely here B :)

The book says "don't race a half" :)

The reason is that there's too much recovery involved and it messes up your training. This post goes into more specific advice than in the book, but it basically reckons that now is too late to race a HM, other than running it as a tempo: https://lukehumphreyrunning.com/modifying-your-marathon-plan-for-a-race/

It's been 4 months since my last race :eek:, another 5 weeks isn't a problem.

I'll just have to run a HM PB in the second half of DCM :pac:

Alright week. One session didn't go well, but two out of three ain't bad. Sleep was better this week, the cold is gone though I'm still a little snotty, and no niggles!

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    16th September|10.2 miles|8:56|Commute
    17th September|12.9 miles|?|Session at Crusaders. The marathon gang were just doing an easy run in advance of the half, so tracks 7 and 8 were shared with just a handful of other runners who were doing different sessions. I did 3 x 2 miles off 1/2 mile jog, which worked out at 6:21, 6:24 and 6:23 paces, a pretty solid session.
    18th September|10 miles|8:54|Another commute
    19th September|10.2 miles|8:44|Another commute
    20th September|13.1 miles|7:19|The bad session! So I took a few of Fridays off work to get these sessions in. I got a little overconfident and had some wine the night before... also it was pretty windy and humid, and I decided not to run this on a flat loop but instead went over to Malahide Castle to do the bulk of the 9 miles@MP on a bumpier course. So many excuses. I still targeted 6:40ish, which in retrospect was a bad idea. I was pretty wrecked 6 miles in and used an open shoelace as an excuse to stop. The remaining 3 miles were a good bit slower but still felt very hard. Paces were 6:42, 6:45, 6:38, 6:41, 6:37, 6:43, 6:50, 6:59, 6:59. I'm not sure I've ever had a good session in Malahide Castle though I've had some good parkruns. 2 of the bad sessions I've done on this plan were with a bit of a hangover, probably statistically significant :)
    21st September|5.6 miles|8:20ish|No half marathon for me, and my local parkrun were short on volunteers so I signed up to do scanning. Just jogged over and back. A really nice morning with loads of chats, when I was jogging home I was getting blown around by the wind around Airside and thinking it was a good thing that I wasn't racing :)
    22nd September|17 miles|7:14|Second last long run of the plan. My better half was going out for the day, and I'm going to a gig tonight so this was a case of just getting up early and getting it done. It was, of course, bucketing rain when I was going out the door shortly after 7AM. I spent a moment looking at the rain, thinking of my bed and wondering why on earth I was doing this. I quickly snapped out of it and just like getting into a cold swimming pool the rain made no difference after 30 seconds. After a mile warmup I sped up and pretty comfortably got through the run, average pace for the prescribed 16 was 7:12. I did the Malahide/Coolock/Collins Ave/Swords Road/Rivervalley loop again, this time taking in a bit of the forest in the valley to make up the distance, much better than running down Main Street.

Total: 79.2 miles. Gah!
    Next week: 2x3 miles @6:30 on Tuesday, the biggest strength session in the plan, then the last of the 9 mile tempos on Thursday/Friday. 80-ish miles would again be nice.

Another good week, with an actual PB to make this training log mildly interesting! It's been pretty grim around here over the last while, with tables and tables of training with nothing to show for it.

9@MP on Friday ended up going very well, I'd slept well and was able to do it in the morning in between some work and children related errands. I jogged over to one of my preferred loops in the Swords area and started looping, had no problem hitting pace, running a bit faster than prescribed. I was daydreaming and looking at my watch during the third mile and ended up nearly 10 seconds faster again. I pulled back a bit but kept the momentum going... it started to get a bit tougher by the 7th mile so stepped things up again, and again threw out a fast mile so pulled back. I'd been aware that the paces I was at was faster than my 10 mile PB pace, so in the last mile did a quick calculation and figured that if I did another mile but a bit slower I'd easily beat that, so started to head back home and ran a comfortably fast mile, which resulted in a 36 second Garmin PB of 1:05:36 :cool: :pac: :D :rolleyes: I know you shouldn't really be beating PBs in training, but it was a little soft and my training paces are a bit aggressive at the moment (hopefully that's a good thing).

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    23rd September|10.1 miles|8:47|Commute
    24th September|12.2 miles|?|Over to Irishtown as usual, and as usual I did my own session. Pretty simple: 2 x 3 miles @ MP-10 seconds with a mile recovery in between. Target pace was 6:30, came well under on the first rep (6:23) and then bang on with the second (6:30). Had to work a good bit on the second rep.
    25th September|10.1 miles|8:51|Commute
    26th September|10.1 miles|8:55|Commute... obliviously jogged past aquinn and mister_paul while entranced in a podcast or something. Got mega-drenched on the way home.
    27th September|13.1 miles|6:58|MP session as above
    28th September|9.9 miles|?|Popped over to Rivervalley parkrun, and for no good reason ran it a bit hard. Not too hard though, 20:35. I'd volunteered to do barcode scanning after running so I didn't want to be too down the pack :) Got to meet Dealerz2.0 after he had used it as a session! As always, some nice chats and a lovely group of folks to partly spend my morning with. It was my 25th time volunteering (mostly pacing in fairness) so hopefully a new t-shirt on the way soon :)
    29th September|14.3 miles|8:31|Up early and out the door at twenty to seven. Easy short long run, popped out to Portmarnock along the coast. I got to jog alongside the Great Dublin Bike Ride for a bit. Weather was pretty miserable and legs felt a bit sluggish but was grand for an early morning run.

Total: 80 miles
    Next week: I have a busy week with work including a social outing on Wednesday night, so I'm not sure I can make it to the club on Tuesday. I probably have to wedge in that 3x2 miles somehow likely on Wednesday. 10@MP on Friday then the last 16 miles@fast long run pace on Sunday. I guess the next 11 days are the peak :eek: :cool:

Great training going on B, nothing wrong with being aggressive with the paces as long as you are being honest with yourself.

So I guess this is the peak week or so? Last of the long runs are done, though the Hanson taper really only begins with 10 days to go, so there's still another 10 days of work to do. 2 of the remaining 4 sessions are hard enough (10@MP) but nothing new. The other session reduces the rep length and the book generally prescribes a slight reduction in milage over the next 2 weeks.

I got pulled up by the local Hanson police on Strava (fbot) on my paces, which can be seen below. I don't think I'm doing any damage to my chances of running sub-3 by going faster, the paces generally feel appropriate and I feel like I'm adapting well to the higher milage and relentless focus on tempoish paces. I'm not changing up my target time... well, at least not until somewhere around Crumlin.

Niggle-wise, my left foot and leg have been a little niggly. Some mild throbbing in my left foot on-and-off during the week was a bit noticeable. I have some tightness in some muscles here and there on my left foot which may or may not be related to the foot weirdness. I plan to keep treating these niggles the same way as I have been doing so far - other than documenting them here, completely ignoring them until they go away :D

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    30th September|10 miles|8:59|Got utterly drenched on this commute. Ran the first few miles with crockmac.
    1st October|12.5 miles|?|Over to Irishtown to do my Hanson session, along with the usual jog over with crockmac, dynamic warmup and jog back to the bus after. This was 3 x 2 miles off 1/2 mile jog. If I were training for 2:59 by the book, the pace would be 6:42. The pace for 2:50 is 6:19, which is what I ran: 6:20, 6:19, 6:18. This was good and I felt great throughout.
    2nd October|8.7 miles|8:53|A delayed and slightly truncated commute into town in the morning due to bringing the younger kid to the doctor and then attending a conference respectively. Had a shower before the conference in a handily located Flyefit.
    3rd October|9.3 miles|9:03|Blustery commute back home from The Convention Centre.
    4th October|14 miles|7:00|Was a little worried that I'd have to move this around due to the storm, but not much of a storm happened. 10@MP, ended up at 6:33 average pace (only around 2:52 pace :rolleyes: ) though the last couple of miles were a little hard. Not race hard, but a good deal harder than the previous week. Interesting stuff during this run was running 2 seconds slower than the previous week (so no PBs this week!) but a bit more consistent on paces, aside from one where I had to stop to tie my lace (cost me about 5 seconds I reckon). Also there was an eighteenish month old boy being walked around the park by their grandparent (well, I assume) and on every loop he gave me a huge smile as I approached and so each lap I gave him a smile and wave. Helped break up the loops for a bit anyway :)
    5th October|9.7 miles|?|Jogged over to Rivervalley parkrun planning to just keep jogging... when I got there I found out it was pacer week so signed up for 22 minutes just before it got started :rolleyes: Not entirely easy due to some residual tiredness from the previous day's session and the usual Rivervalley hills, but not hard either. Went across the line in 21:57.
    6th October|17.2 miles|7:08|Last of the infamous Hanson 16 mile not-a-long-run-long-run. Went out on my now usual loop which has a mile warmup and ends up finishing outside The Pavillions. Lovely morning though windy, which meant a few slightly harder miles running into the wind. Half way through I noticed that Scullion had released a podcast about the previous night's marathon so stuck that on. He was particularly maudlin about his performance, complaining a little about not wearing Vaporflys but depressed at his performance. He ran a solid race but I guess it didn't result in the kind of breakthrough he was looking for. He ended up talking about milage a bit, I think he has a point. Surely if I can knock out a few of 80 mile weeks, he can knock out a load of 100+ mile weeks! Oh, the run. After that I needed a bit of a pick-me-up so stuck on some up-tempo music and sped up a little, which somehow felt easier. Ended up at 7:04 average pace, 2:50 target pace in the book is 7:05.

Total: 81.8 miles
    September total: 330 miles. 10% increase over my previous record :o

Next week: 4 x 1.5 miles on Tuesday (sliding back down the ladder) and 10@MP on Thursday/Friday. I'll probably do 13-15 easy on Sunday. Probably won't be hard to do another 80 mile week between the sessions and commutes, but I should probably stop chasing miles as hard so won't be upset if it's just 70+ :rolleyes: I will probably use this week's MP session as a dress rehearsal - wear the new Nikes, new shorts and eat my first gel since last year's DCM.

Another solid week B; some quality MP sessions you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

That's a great week B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Super mileage B and those paces, wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Just catching up on your log, B. That's some serious milage there. I would have thought that recovery would be most beneficial over the last 2 weeks but what would I know. Seems like you're in great shape and mentally positive for Dublin.

Also interested that we have the same approach to niggles, just ignore them. Mixed outcomes here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Please don't ignore foot niggles, can turn into nasty things...maybe "Treat" yourself to a sports massage.:D

Advertisement