Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Finally complete. Just took from about 8.40am until 4.20pm. Imagine doing that outside of your warranty!

I didn't really take note of any of the changes. Spotted 1 or 2 new things, but tbh the car is so new to me I may not have noticed them before anyways. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

What car do you have? Hyundai Ioniq 2019

What charge rate is the car charging at? 16A or 32A? 32A

The Rolec has a trip switch of its own inside the flap.... what is written on that... is it B20, D40, etc? C40

And what is written on the trip switch on your consumer unit? C40

If the car is a 32A car you should go with a C40 RCBO on your consumer unit.

September1 wrote: »
    If you reduce charging current inside car, does it still strip?

I've never tried .... I did it tonight but I only needed a small charge (25%) and it didn't trip.

What do the various levels mean? Slower charging ... but what speeds?

If this works I don't mind doing it but some evenings I need a reasonably quick top up so I'd really need to get to the bottom of the tripping

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

sean72 wrote: »
    What car do you have? Hyundai Ioniq 2019

What charge rate is the car charging at? 16A or 32A? 32A

The Rolec has a trip switch of its own inside the flap.... what is written on that... is it B20, D40, etc? C40

And what is written on the trip switch on your consumer unit? C40

If the car is a 32A car you should go with a C40 RCBO on your consumer unit.

Doesnt sound like its the trip switch then.

Could be a bad connection inside the charger. Rolec's are prone to loose connections on the incoming feed.

Electrician will have to do more fault finding.

Reducing the charge rate in the car isnt really the solution. You should be able to charge at the full rate without it tripping.

Does it trip almost straight away or is it at randoms times of the charge session?

KCross wrote: »

Does it trip almost straight away or is it at randoms times of the charge session?

It's not usually straight away, I would say its during the first 10% of any charge but its pretty random.

I agree with you that reducing the charging rate isn't a permanent solution but if it means going out in the morning to a fully charged car I might use it for a while for peace of mind until I get it sorted.

I'm no expert on this by any means and although my Electrician is RECI, I think this was his first charger install though, so any direction on where to sniff around first is welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I'm no expert on this by any means and although my Electrician is RECI, I think this was his first charger install though

It's not a charger - the charger is in your car. It's basically just a 32a outdoor socket. The correct term is a charge point. Nothing any good electrician shouldn't be able to resolve.

It's not usually straight away, I would say its during the first 10% of any charge but its pretty random.

I agree with you that reducing the charging rate isn't a permanent solution but if it means going out in the morning to a fully charged car I might use it for a while for peace of mind until I get it sorted.

I'm no expert on this by any means and although my Electrician is RECI, I think this was his first charger install though, so any direction on where to sniff around first is welcome

Im only guessing but if it doesnt trip straight away I'd be looking at a bad connection somewhere. Cable heats up a little during charging and if its loose it could be arc'ing and then tripping. Just double check that inside the unit. There are many examples of Rolec's doing that.

It could also be the controller in the Rolec. They've been known to give trouble. That would be a bit harder to diagnose. Have you tried charging the car somewhere else to see if any tripping occurs there to rule out any issues with the car itself?

Is the Rolec tethered or untethered?
    Any damage done to the cable?
    Any dirt inside any of the pins in the cable or the car?

Cant think of anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I've never tried .... I did it tonight but I only needed a small charge (25%) and it didn't trip.

What do the various levels mean? Slower charging ... but what speeds?

If this works I don't mind doing it but some evenings I need a reasonably quick top up so I'd really need to get to the bottom of the tripping
    If you're referring to the in car levels:

For the standard AC charger (ie not portable):
    The fastest option is "max available" ie 32a
    the medium option is about 80% of this, works out at around 5kW
    slow option is 3.7kW.

ELM327 wrote: »
    If you're referring to the in car levels:

For the standard AC charger (ie not portable):
    The fastest option is "max available" ie 32a
    the medium option is about 80% of this, works out at around 5kW
    slow option is 3.7kW.

Does changing these in car levels affect fast charger (50kW) speeds also?

Does changing these in car levels affect fast charger (50kW) speeds also?

No, they are independent as DC charging doesn't use the onboard charger,

• Advertisement

What range are people getting this weather? My commute is quite short, and in the morning it's up a hill, and the evening is back roads downhill. Long drives at <100km/h the range has been holding pretty true (drive 80km, uses ~80km). At the end of the day, i'm pretty steady at ~208km on a full charge.

I know ive heard about warmer weather increasing range, but it's not exactly cold these days. 240km just seems unattainable. I guess I could drive like a pensioner, but i've heard people driving with a bit of fun and getting more than 208km range.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My GOM shows around 210 or so same as you on a full charge and I'm probably getting around that if not a bit over if I were to drive it to empty.

Last week when the temps hit the 20s I had 150km driven and the gom was still saying I had 80km left which is the best I've seen so far.

That's mixed driving in town and rural roads. No motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I was on a destination charger while I was having lunch yesterday. The GOM was reading 226 at 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Getting 12.9kwh/100km for an implied range of 217km -- in sport mode, AC on, mostly on local roads, the odd dual carriageway and short stretch of motorway.

unkel wrote: »
    Amazing that we have 44 Ioniq Electric owners here on boards. Do we even have as many Leaf owners? There are far more Leafs in the country than Ioniqs. How come we have so many Ioniq owners here?

1. Fiery mutant - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WH
    2. liamog - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    3. zale - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 171WH
    4. unkel - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    5. Mope - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171D
    6. thelikelylad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171C
    7. woppers - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171WX
    8. don't be at yourself - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    9. Ballylad - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171CW
    10. Coconut Joe - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    11. Macker - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 181D
    12. Fermi - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172MO
    13. Johnnyjohnjohns - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 172D
    14. this.lad - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172
    15. CarefulNow! - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172D
    16. Moreilly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172KE
    17. Neleven - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172 WW
    18. DglFlyer -Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171 CE
    19. jeremy_g - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 171WW
    20. miamee - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 172D
    21. Cocolola - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 172G
    22. RonanFarrell - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172G
    23. rgunning - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171D
    24. Doc el brown - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 172WW
    25. Fitz213 - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    26. lafors - Ioniq BEV - - 181D
    27. squishey - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181D
    28. Ewan Hoosarmi - Ioniq BEV - Platinum Silver - 181?
    29. peaceboi - Ioniq BEV - Blazing Yellow - 171D
    30. ELM427 - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 171MH :-)
    31. irishgrover - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue - 181 G
    32. fricatus - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181
    33. zg3409 - Ioniq BEV - Marina Blue 171 G (Dublin area)
    34. BigAl81 - Ioniq BEV - White - 191-D
    37. Mighty Munster - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black 191MH
    38. OffalyMedic- Ioniq BEV- Phantom Black- 181L (Laois)
    39. Casher - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 191WW
    40. iggy - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 191D
    41. Deegs - ioniq - polar white with groovy black roof wrap 191c
    42. shanemkelly - Ioniq BEV - Phantom Black - 171D
    43. PATMAC - Ioniq BEV - Aurora Silver - 191RN
    44. Fishy1 - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 181W
    45. jjcahill78 - ioniq BEV - Fiery red - 191 CW
    46. relgoog - Ioniq BEV - Iron Grey - 182D
    47. Black_Knight - Ioniq BEV - Polar White - 171CE

Updated the quote with the jjcahill78, relgoog and myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Getting 12.9kwh/100km for an implied range of 217km -- in sport mode, AC on, mostly on local roads, the odd dual carriageway and short stretch of motorway.

I'm still only getting 200.... 14kwh/100km. And that's in Eco mode. Very little aircon use etc. I'm fairness, my driving is mostly motorway so that must be the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Penname wrote: »
    I'm still only getting 200.... 14kwh/100km. And that's in Eco mode. Very little aircon use etc. I'm fairness, my driving is mostly motorway so that must be the difference.

I think so, same here... even when I did a long non-motorway trip, my GOM went right up to 210. Back down to 190 now since I've been back on the usual motorway commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yep, motorway is a different story altogether!

Updated the quote with the jjcahill78, relgoog and myself.
    Please. Remove me from this list!

You're not on the list... its someone like you... ELM427! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I know Hyundai's warranty is transferable, but does it also transfer from the UK into Ireland, i.e. in the case of non Hyundai dealer importing and selling in Ireland?

Or... Just update it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Was at 174km in Monday morning, a high for the year.... Currently our of the country so not sure of weather conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Was at 174km in Monday morning, a high for the year.... Currently our of the country so not sure of weather conditions

You probably own the only Ioniq that might ever overtake me on the motor way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭zg3409

Hurrache wrote: »
    I know Hyundai's warranty is transferable, but does it also transfer from the UK into Ireland, i.e. in the case of non Hyundai dealer importing and selling in Ireland?
    It transfers to anyone importing it, even end users. My UK import got warranty recalls done in Ireland. No issue, no questions asked. They might need the vin rather than the Irish reg to look up vehicle specifics as the car may not pop up when they enter the new Irish reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Cheers, and did you have to contact Hyundai UK or Ireland to update the details?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭zg3409

Hurrache wrote: »
    Cheers, and did you have to contact Hyundai UK or Ireland to update the details?
    They need the vin to check for recalls etc. I emailed Hyundai Ireland with reg and vin and they said my 171 needed some things changed, and it cost me nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭denismc

I just got my firmware and maps upgraded today and was wondering how does your system pick up the live chargepoint data? do you have to set up a wifi hotspot on your phone?

For anyone wondering, my car is from the UK and they were happy to do the update for free, the whole update only took less than 3 hours which was a nice surprise.
    Great customer service from the dealer in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

denismc wrote: »
    I just got my firmware and maps upgraded today and was wondering how does your system pick up the live chargepoint data? do you have to set up a wifi hotspot on your phone?

For anyone wondering, my car is from the UK and they were happy to do the update for free, the whole update only took less than 3 hours which was a nice surprise.
    Great customer service from the dealer in Cork.

Very good. What are the differences in the new software and the old one. I didnt know it does the live charge point data, is that a new thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭denismc

Very good. What are the differences in the new software and the old one. I didnt know it does the live charge point data, is that a new thing?

I took this info from another forum;

AE_EV.EUR.SOP.006.5.181002
    AE_EV_EUR.0.5.313.180905.MICOM
    STD_AVN_MID.EUR.HMC.180928.b5c9193
    EUR.11.41.46.704.101.2 (D.E2 / E.E2)

This Firmware has new features:
    - LIVE charging stations (search in "near your location", "near destination", "near center" [of a city], "near cursor") with partial availability display and filter option by connection type
    - LIVE parking ( Option: "off the road" and "on the road") with cost
    display - display of LIVE delays in the Navi
    - Heating: After the first test, the heater seems to warm up faster than the previous versions. When the vehicle was switched on, around 700W were immediately invested in the heater despite "driver only". After 60 seconds it was already 3.6kW. How the actual improvement turns out needs further investigation.
    - Bluetooth: Switching between different Bluetooth devices via icon possible
    - Telephony: Switching on a temporary private mode possible (hiding all synchronized contacts and call lists)
    - Audio settings: new graph for visualization of the top view, display of fader and balance values (eg H -2 LR)

And I just found a youtube video showing how the live chargepoint info works;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaxKVxaiWR8

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement