Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE documentary and the wrath of God

Options
  • 11-04-2019 4:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

I read this article today in the Indo: https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/irish-catholics-had-a-much-looser-attitude-to-the-church-before-the-famine-38000235.html

It is about an RTE documentary called Rome vs Republic. The documentary asserts that Ireland was far less devout before the famine. If this is correct, then I think it is important to think deeper about this RTE documentary with it`s RTE narrative. Specifically, I suggest viewers think of the future implications this documentary unwittingly reveals.

If the loose morals were a prelude to famine, then what does the future hold in these days of Sodom and Gormorrah? I fear the wrath of God is about to decend on Ireland more forcefully than ever.

Am I wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Yes, you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Am I wrong?

We re moving on as a country, we generally no longer fear wraths from any god, we generally just try get on with life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    We re moving on as a country, we generally no longer fear wraths from any god, we generally just try get on with life

How ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

How ironic.

How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I read this article today in the Indo: https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/irish-catholics-had-a-much-looser-attitude-to-the-church-before-the-famine-38000235.html

It is about an RTE documentary called Rome vs Republic. The documentary asserts that Ireland was far less devout before the famine. If this is correct, then I think it is important to think deeper about this RTE documentary with it`s RTE narrative. Specifically, I suggest viewers think of the future implications this documentary unwittingly reveals.

If the loose morals were a prelude to famine, then what does the future hold in these days of Sodom and Gormorrah? I fear the wrath of God is about to decend on Ireland more forcefully than ever.

Am I wrong?

If God was making a list he’d put quite a lot of countries on it before Ireland.

Not a very nice God though, causing a famine because people didn’t go to mass or whatever it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,201 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If the implication is that God will send his wrath down on Ireland for a second time having "loose morals" then there are three inconsistencies I would like to point out:

1) He hasn't inflicted his wrath on other countries who seem to have equally loose morals as the Irish;

2) He is acting imorally Himself by inflicting his wrath on a large group of people and effectively tarring everyone with the same brush, thus needlessly punishing innocent people;

3) He is claiming that turning away from a specific church is an imorral act, and ignoring the fact that people can and do lead very moral lives without the add of a church.

How, exactly is He (as opposed to you or the Church) defining 'moral'?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

) He is acting imorally Himself by inflicting his wrath on a large group of people and effectively tarring everyone with the same brush, thus needlessly punishing innocent people;

No doubt the same god who show his hatred of homosexuals by killing heterosexual soldiers. Maybe he needs some target practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Am I wrong?

The problem is, how would you know you are right?

Are we to suppose all floods, famines, earthquakes, etc. are quid pro quo expressions of the wrath of God. For if we don't suppose so, then we haven't a way of discerning whether a particular event is or isn't the wrath of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

We more than likely did in the far distant past

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭harrylittle

Am I wrong?

Don't think your wrong ... but ireland is probaby worse now morally

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Don't think your wrong ... but ireland is probaby worse now morally

Is it really?

Care to explain how exactly?

The law on blasphemy was abolished. There is little sign of chastity in Ireland these days. Sodomite`s roam through the streets flaunting their proclivities shamelessly. The inebriated young pour out of nightclubs bawling and cussing and fighting and worse. People go about with tatoos showing depraved images. Many are obcessed with social media, much of which is driven by vanity, hatred and other deadly sins. Church attendance has fallen precipitously. Child abuse is rife. God`s wrath would be justified indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,216 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The law on blasphemy was abolished. There is little sign of chastity in Ireland these days. Sodomite`s roam through the streets flaunting their proclivities shamelessly. The inebriated young pour out of nightclubs bawling and cussing and fighting and worse. People go about with tatoos showing depraved images. Many are obcessed with social media, much of which is driven by vanity, hatred and other deadly sins. Church attendance has fallen precipitously. Child abuse is rife. God`s wrath would be justified indeed.
    In the supposedly highly moral late nineteenth century, children regularly starved to death in Ireland, or died of diseases which even then were easily curable. Fully 25% of the population of Dublin lived in slum dwellings in which there was 1 room or less per family. The sex work industry in Dublin was one of the largest in Europe, and child prostitution was legal and commonplace.

Firstly, I'd argue that, with the exception of child abuse, none of this is immoral. I'd also argue that, based on that exception, he would have brought his wrath down on his chruch by now.

Secondly, even if it was, why would God base his wrath on the man-made construct of nationality?

Peregrinus wrote: »
    In the supposedly highly moral late nineteenth century, children regularly starved to death in Ireland, or died of diseases which even then were easily curable. Fully 25% of the population of Dublin lived in slum dwellings in which there was 1 room or less per family. The sex work industry in Dublin was one of the largest in Europe, and child prostitution was legal and commonplace.

So RTE got it wrong?

Secondly, even if it was, why would God base his wrath on the man-made construct of nationality?

Certainly the world is due a comeuppance, parts of it moreso than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,216 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

So RTE got it wrong?
    I dunno, I didn't see the programme. But in the OP you said that the programme claimed that Ireland became more devout after the Famine, which as we all know is not at all the same thing as more moral. And its not difficult, as I pointed out, to find many ways in which Ireland in the late 19th/early 20th century was much less moral than today.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I dunno, I didn't see the programme. But in the OP you said that the programme claimed that Ireland became more devout after the Famine, which as we all know is not at all the same thing as more moral. And its not difficult, as I pointed out, to find many ways in which Ireland in the late 19th/early 20th century was much less moral than today.

I agree. However, as a Catholic I believe being devout is very important whearas Communists for example tend toward atheism. At times like now, when the left assend to the high moral ground and the right shift toward fundamentalism there tends to be trouble in the world.

Here, the left are like holding up a mirror, showing the hypocracy of those who are devout. It was religious fundamentalists who called for the crucifixion of Christ and the same fundamentalists who tested him by quoting the law of Moses when asking him if an adulteress should be stoned. He called them hypocrits and of course they were because non of them were without sin.

As a believer, I know Satan exists and confussion is his modus operandi. Again, when the non believers embrace many Christian values but not Christianity and the believers are hypocrits, Satan is at his most powerful. This is why I like the Jewish/Zoroastrian idea of separating good and evil.

Oh we will be the architects of your our own denise, sure, and it will most certainly be indiscriminate

But regardless, the there is no sound or religious reason to believe people will be spared or smitten based on their nationality.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Church attendance has fallen precipitously. Child abuse is rife.

There are plenty who would argue that the two are strongly connected.

As for the "Sodomites" who are "roaming the streets", you do realise that sodomy is something that married heterosexual couples also enjoy, don't you? Obviously I know that's not what you meant and you're simply displaying your homophobic tendencies for all to see, but what I really want to know is why ultra-religious people are so obsessed the sex lives of others? Are they doing you any harm personally? Surely your time would be better spent living the life you're espousing, including displaying a more Christian attitude towards others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Famine happened in loads of places at loads pf time for loads of reasons. Overpopulation the root source in all situations. The church position on homosexuality and contraception are not good ones. The chirsh here was also shown yo be highly immoral, surely supoorting that is immoral also.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

How ironic.

The only thing ironic here is your username

God doesn't seem to be on your wavelength here. Is that a failing of hers? Or if his is always right, doesn't that mean that you are wrong?

quoting the law of Moses when asking him if an adulteress should be stoned. He called them hypocrits and of course they were because non of them were without sin.

Bearing in mind the above, how would you assess your call for the world to get its divine "come-uppance"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

It's more likely that it became more devout because of the Poor Law, which gave both Catholic and Protestant clergy and religious enormous control over access to very meagre welfare services, such as food aid. Typically, access to "relief" was via "Unions" which would have also included the dreaded workhouse and so on.

It's more like the kind of influence you might see in this era in maybe famine stricken parts of Africa.

You also had a massive brain drain where the young, the ambitious and the healthy went abroad, largely to the USA in vast numbers which would have likely left a far more conservative population behind.

Major social shocks like a famine can also have profound impacts.

I think OP, you are most definitely confusing correlation and causation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Famine happened in loads of places at loads pf time for loads of reasons. Overpopulation the root source in all situations. The church position on homosexuality and contraception are not good ones. The chirsh here was also shown yo be highly immoral, surely supoorting that is immoral also.

There was a famine in the mainly Presbyterian Scottish Highlands at the exact same time as in Ireland caused by the exact same thing -over reliance on the lumper potato which developed blight.

Wonder what was God wrathing about there?

Oh we will be the architects of your our own denise, sure, and it will most certainly be indiscriminate

But regardless, the there is no sound or religious reason to believe people will be spared or smitten based on their nationality.

When you say "spared" it is important to be clear. What matters is the next life. This life is insignificant by comparison so we and everyone we know could suffer horrific deaths but so long as we are redeemed, that is what is really important. Being spared in this life would be a nice bonus but of course most people will not understand this because we are so fixated with this life. Our love of this life and the things of this world are rather like the beggar who cannot see the value of work and effort but instead is fixated on other people giving him change.

storker wrote: »
    Bearing in mind the above, how would you assess your call for the world to get its divine "come-uppance"?

Firstly, I am not calling for it but I think it will happen. Secondly, I think that unless people understand the need to repent and change their ways and then follow through, the cost in the next life will be far greater than the tribulations in this life. The wrath of God is an instrument of love. Hell is not God`s punishment, it is a choice people can make.

storker wrote: »
    God doesn't seem to be on your wavelength here. Is that a failing of hers? Or if his is always right, doesn't that mean that you are wrong?

I did not say that the world is suffering the wrath of God right now but that I think it will in future. The reason the wrath has not descended before now is because God is slow to anger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement