Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Also after the recent referendum wins the rest of the civilised World looks to Ireland for decency and compassion, that toe rag is NOT the sort of person to represent the new Ireland.

I like to see people have such belief in our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Independence Day!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

gmisk wrote: »
    It could still have a negative effect, casey would be an embarrassment on the international stage, does he strike you as someone who would be diplomatic and measured? .

Any more so that the Castro idolizing incumbent ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

ectoraige wrote: »
    ...........Recognising travellers as a distinct ethnic group does not grant immunity to laws, and does not prevent the application of progressive social policies to make Ireland a better place in which to live.

Then why ARE they exempt from so many laws ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Let's be honest here in this situation he/she is most likely voting for Casey as a protest as he has the best chance against Higgins.
    I doubt Duffy would even bother voting for himself lol

Yeah - thats tactical voting.
    Did you watch the debates? He was a shambling mess, shouting over other people, he struggled to string a coherent sentence together while looking at bits of paper.
    People can be successful in business without being in anyway diplomatic or measured.... Just look at the current US president lol, or Elon musk

By shouting down of course you mean refused to be shouted down, especially by the RTE pundit, and they all read of bits of paper, that's what is known as having your notes prepared.

Even Higgins had them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Then why ARE they exempt from so many laws ?

I find it very amusing how the traveller reps keep trying to persuade us that granting them ethnic status makes no difference whatsoever, yet is somehow critically important.

Also, the submission to the Dept. of Education by Pavee Point on including traveller "culture" in the school curriculum states clearly that the granting of ethnic status is the reason it should be included. Traveller reps, as usual, telling barefaced lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The hobbit and his ilk are what have this country in the state it’s in! Thank god this will be his last term IF he wins! The media have told people to vote mdh, I’m fully expecting the sheeple go do as told ... Casey #1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Did you watch the debates? He was a shambling mess, shouting over other people, he struggled to string a coherent sentence together while looking at bits of paper.
    People can be successful in business without being in anyway diplomatic or measured.... Just look at the current US president lol, or Elon musk

Shouting over other people?? What debates did you watch?? He made his statements then stood there grinning as the other 4/5 (when Higgins deined to grace the public with his presence) feigned indignance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Also after the recent referendum wins the rest of the civilised World looks to Ireland for decency and compassion, that toe rag is NOT the sort of person to represent the new Ireland.

It’s not our role to offer tea and sympathy to the “civilized world”. What decency and compassion did they offer us during the crash. They all demanded their pound of flesh.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Wheety wrote: »
    You just have to look at Trump and Brexit to see what a protest vote can do. People want to upset the status quo as they feel no one is representing them.

I'm not sure it Peter Casey purposefully went after the protest vote but as soon as his team realised they doubled down.

At least a protest vote here won't have as big of an affect on the country as the 2 mentioned above.
    I honestly don’t think he did go after it. He answered a question honestly. And here we are! A question being answered honestly in Ireland by someone in the public eye and this hysteria is the result. Banana republic of the highest order. If you’re voting for anyone other than Casey, don’t forget how the others stared down the lens and lied to your face when they said they’d be happy to live beside travellers!

• Advertisement

ectoraige wrote: »
    Ethnicity is not the same as race. People seem to think it is, and therefore argue travellers should not have their own ethnic status, but it's not.

Here's how you tell if somebody is of the same ethnicity: go live with their family for a few days. If their way of life generally matches yours, and your learned behaviours are built upon the same traditions, then you are probably of the same ethnic group.

How many members of the settled community do you know have decided to buy a caravan and move to a halting site? Despite the housing crisis, I don't know a single person who has done this.

The problem isn't travellers being recognised as an ethnic group. The problem is our society failing to adequately address the many problems our society has.

Recidivism is not restricted to the traveller community, there are repeat offenders and career criminals outside the traveller community too, and as a society we should be doing more to address this. Little is being truly done to limit the revolving doors in our courts.

There are deis schools up and down the country because we have many disadvantaged areas where educational standards, attendance, and completion rates are poor. It's not limited to halting sites, we need to more to further education for all our children. Ethnicity doesn't come into it.

There have been many settled people on social housing lists rejecting the housing provided to them, it's not something that only travellers do. And there are many travellers who quietly and gratefully accepted the accommodation provided for them, but there are no headlines written about them. If our policy allows people to game the system, then that needs to be recognised, and the policies changed to reduce that. Again, ethnicity doesn't come into it.

Recognising travellers as a distinct ethnic group does not grant immunity to laws, and does not prevent the application of progressive social policies to make Ireland a better place in which to live.

Again, the surge in the Casey vote has little (and in many cases absolutely nothing) to do with travelers.

Its to do with the way Irish society has developed, the constant excuses, exceptions and allowances made. Rules, laws no longer mean anything, referendum results can be ignored because obviously people were too stupid to realise what they were voting for. The media echo chamber, the lack of debate, the complete lack of tolerance for debate. The mere fact that if anyone questions the status quo they are called racist, scum, brain damaged. Just look at some of the comments in this thread.

The sense of superiority the virtually explodes from the new liberal, progressive elite and the waves of contempt towards the backward plebs who dare challenge them. The deluded country cousins.

The sense of entitlement, and worse, the sense of dependency that has developed. The sate had become a mother hen, her citizens no longer to be trusted to think or act for them selves. The right to free speech has been reduced to the point that would made some oppressive governments blush.

The right to privacy, innocence until proven guilty, the right to free speech, the core principles on which our society was built are no longer solid towering pillars but rubbery, wobbly inconveniences to be bent and twisted to suit the current agenda.

Casey may not be my ideal, he may not be the person I would choose for president but he is the first opportunity I have had to voice my anger where it will not have a long term negative impact on a group in society (as a protest vote woudl have in either of the lat two referendums.)

I 100% support equality. EQUALITY, no one absolutely no one should be special.

The media and the politician's can continue to ignore us, they can continue to misinterpret what we say, what we do and continue to look down their noses at us with contempt but that is what will lead to a hard right that no-one..... no-one.... least of all me wants..

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    It’s not our role to offer tea and sympathy to the “civilized world”. What decency and compassion did they offer us during the crash. They all demanded their pound of flesh.
    They bailed us out to bail themselves out. We were the one with the begging pot out though. Not putting ourselves in that position again is what is important and it’s in our hands, not “ de fodegners”

Also after the recent referendum wins the rest of the civilised World looks to Ireland for decency and compassion, .

Sweet jeebus,. You need to get out more. I would bet you a months wages that if you went to 20 countries around the world and picked 20 people in each (with no family contact to Ireland) less than 10% could point to Ireland on a map.

I woudl be surprised if even 50% of them relaised that Ireland was a sovereign nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Im talking about the people not the governments.

knipex wrote: »
    Again, the surge in the Casey vote has little (and in many cases absolutely nothing) to do with travelers.

Its to do with the way Irish society has developed, the constant excuses, exceptions and allowances made. Rules, laws no longer mean anything, referendum results can be ignored because obviously people were too stupid to realise what they were voting for. The media echo chamber, the lack of debate, the complete lack of tolerance for debate. The mere fact that if anyone questions the status quo they are called racist, scum, brain damaged. Just look at some of the comments in this thread.

The sense of superiority the virtually explodes from the new liberal, progressive elite and the waves of contempt towards the backward plebs who dare challenge them. The deluded country cousins.

The sense of entitlement, and worse, the sense of dependency that has developed. The sate had become a mother hen, her citizens no longer to be trusted to think or act for them selves. The right to free speech has been reduced to the point that would made some oppressive governments blush.

The right to privacy, innocence until proven guilty, the right to free speech, the core principles on which our society was built are no longer solid towering pillars but rubbery, wobbly inconveniences to be bent and twisted to suit the current agenda.

Casey may not be my ideal, he may not be the person I would choose for president but he is the first opportunity I have had to voice my anger where it will not have a long term negative impact on a group in society (as a protest vote woudl have in either of the lat two referendums.)

I 100% support equality. EQUALITY, no one absolutely no one should be special.

The media and the politician's can continue to ignore us, they can continue to misinterpret what we say, what we do and continue to look down their noses at us with contempt but that is what will lead to a hard right that no-one..... no-one.... least of all me wants..

Perfectly put.

knipex wrote: »
    Also after the recent referendum wins the rest of the civilised World looks to Ireland for decency and compassion, .

Sweet jeebus,. You need to get out more. I would bet you a months wages that if you went to 20 countries around the world and picked 20 people in each (with no family contact to Ireland) less than 10% could point to Ireland on a map.

I woudl be surprised if even 50% of them relaised that Ireland was a sovereign nation.

Im talking about politically engaged people and well you know that. You were probably asleep but huge amount of World media covered refs.

Of all the rubbish posted on here by the traveller and Higgins fans, this has to be the most shrill and hilarious.

I wonder if this poster has ever been outside Ireland in their life?
    The thought that "the civilised world" is sitting, trembling in anticipation, waiting for Ireland to instruct them on how to set their moral compasses literally made me laugh out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,542 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

PP will have their own exit poll and unlike the media ones, they will get their own updates during the day. So keep an eye on the various markets and you'll know what the trend is.

Turnout is very low at present. It may struggle to get 50% and that may see MDH vote suffer - he'll still win, but the 40%-50% 1st Pref bet may still be value. (but it was stonking value at 22/1 & 25/1 :) )

Casey now at 2/7 in the betting without MDH market. Was 1/2 last night

He is 13/8 to get 18% or higher first prefs

Gravelly wrote: »

Of all the rubbish posted on here by the traveller and Higgins fans, this has to be the most shrill and hilarious.

I wonder if this poster has ever been outside Ireland in their life?
    The thought that "the civilised world" is sitting, trembling in anticipation, waiting for Ireland to instruct them on how to set their moral compasses literally made me laugh out loud.

Look at the stats in recent refs. my friend, Progressives: 1, Sad Angry Losers: 0.

Look at the stats in recent refs. my friend, Progressives: 1, Sad Angry Losers: 0.

:D:D:D

"We voted for SSM, so anything I say about anything is sacrosanct"

Ah, at least you lads are good for a laugh if nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

And this folks is why we are where we are today with this identity politics guff. (I voted Yes btw before you educate me with your "progressive values").

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I voted for SSM and to Repeal the 8th but am voting Casey. Where does that put me on your scale of absolutes?

:D:D:D

"We voted for SSM, so anything I say about anything is sacrosanct"

Ah, at least you lads are good for a laugh if nothing else.

Its not but you'd have to admit a more liberal electorate nowadays surely?

Look at the recent furore over the 2004 ref. Don't vote the way we want, it doesn't count. I'm sure the rest of the civilised world are looking on aghast that the constitutional will of the people is ignored by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Im talking about the people not the governments.

And who do you think elect the government if not the people.

It’s just more tripe and clap trap.

Doesn’t everyone love us, we have a poet for a president, an openly gay Taoiseach, gay marriage and abortion. And all that is great but not much use if people can’t buy a home, get an operation or are living in fear from roving gangs of criminals.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

And it would of course be entirely impossible to be pro choice, supportive of gay marriage and still think that there's a massive problem with the traveler culture in this country? That's just not possible is it?

Supporting a completely backwards, outdated and harmful culture is now considered progressive?!

Its not but you'd have to admit a more liberal electorate nowadays surely?

I'm fairly liberal (despite what's posted about me here) - I voted yes for SSM, and in the abortion referendum.

That doesn't mean I have to pretend travellers are some kind of sacred cow, and ignore their criminality.

Casey #1 for me. He may not be able to do anything about it, but rewarding him for telling the truth will send a powerful message to those who can do something about it.

wexie wrote: »

And it would of course be entirely impossible to be pro choice, supportive of gay marriage and still think that there's a massive problem with the traveler culture in this country? That's just not possible is it?

Supporting a completely backwards, outdated and harmful culture is now considered progressive?!

Where did I say it was? Read my posts, I said saying ALL members of a community are bad is wrong thats all, simple. I hate low lifes and scumbags as much as anyone on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm fairly liberal (despite what's posted about me here) - I voted yes for SSM, and in the abortion referendum.

It's mad isn't it. I've been called a liberal snowflake and an alt-right nazi in the same thread before!

• Advertisement

And who do you think elect the government if not the people.

It’s just more tripe and clap trap.

Doesn’t everyone love us, we have a poet for a president, an openly gay Taoiseach, gay marriage and abortion. And all that is great but not much use if people can’t buy a home, get an operation or are living in fear from roving gangs of criminals.

Much like Leo, the liberal left are only interested in optics.

Who give a shiny shyte if pensioners are getting fleeced up and down the country?, people are waiting years for surgery? etc in Ireland. It's all about how others see us, doesn't matter about the actual plebs here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement