Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭hesker

I had a guy blast the horn at me yesterday presumably to get me to hug the kerb so that he could squeeze past.

I just looked around at him for a second. I think he thought the light on top of my helmet (not lit) was a cam because he suddenly became much more patient and waited for the road to widen before passing safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Driving with a dear, kind, lovable friend. Coming up to a slip road I couldn't stop myself and burst out "Mind - cyclist" and she said "I didn't see that cyclist at all." He was a fine big lad. I saw him. Then she pulled up to wait for the lights to change - sitting diagonally across the cycle lane… Oh, God…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yesterday morning I got fixated on a car to my left in front coming out of a car park at castleknock village. Lost complete track of the lady behind me, who thought absolutely nothing of coming up along side me and left hooking me into the same car park . Closest left hook in ages. Those see sense rear lights obsviousky not being enough for some motorists. Time to ramp up to the 1 watt helmet strobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

hesker wrote: »
    I had a guy blast the horn at me yesterday presumably to get me to hug the kerb so that he could squeeze past.

I just looked around at him for a second. I think he thought the light on top of my helmet (not lit) was a cam because he suddenly became much more patient and waited for the road to widen before passing safely.
    Eye contact is a big help. Whether it is making them feel watched or just humanising the target, I'm not sure - but it works.

The camera is a great idea too, though I'm not sure how many drivers actually see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

The camera is a great idea too, though I'm not sure how many drivers actually see it.

I had an odd run in a good while ago with a lady tailgaiting then beeping and slow passing me on a one way street. She had her window rolled down to tell me about the contra flow cycle lane that I couldn't get to because she was in the way. I caught her at the next red and asked her what I was supposed to do when there was a big fat BMW stuck up my ar$€? I took off. She took offense and wheel spun a close pass by me. Close enough for me to land a thump on her back window as she tore off. The plain clothes Garda behind me didn't like this part and swerved to a stop infront of me and jumped out screaming that he was a Garda and what the hell was I playing at. As he stormed up to me, to enhance the theatricality of his agression, I pointed to the camera on my helmet and asked if he'd like to review the footage? I still watch the clip of the expression on his face changing as the penny drops.

Drivers may not see the camera at first but when they do it's totally worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

'68 wrote:
    I had an odd run in a good while ago with a lady tailgaiting then beeping and slow passing me on a one way street. She had her window rolled down to tell me about the contra flow cycle lane that I couldn't get to because she was in the way. I caught her at the next red and asked her what I was supposed to do when there was a big fat BMW stuck up my ar$€? I took off. She took offense and wheel spun a close pass by me. Close enough for me to land a thump on her back window as she tore off. The plain clothes Garda behind me didn't like this part and swerved to a stop infront of me and jumped out screaming that he was a Garda and what the hell was I playing at. As he stormed up to me, to enhance the theatricality of his agression, I pointed to the camera on my helmet and asked if he'd like to review the footage? I still watch the clip of the expression on his face changing as the penny drops.

Drivers may not see the camera at first but when they do it's totally worth it.

Ah c'mon, you can't tell us that and not post the video :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Ah c'mon, you can't tell us that and not post the video :pac:

Agreed, you have to post the video now....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Agreed, you have to post the video now....

Eye contact is a big help. Whether it is making them feel watched or just humanising the target, I'm not sure - but it works.

Oh, they see it all right. Amazing the difference in driver behaviour when I have a helmet sitting ludicrously on top of my helmet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

CramCycle wrote: »
    YOUTUBE

Give him a mod instruction to post it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

I'm in work atm but you're right, schoolboy error on my part :o

Will post as soon as i figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭hesker

As he stormed up to me, to enhance the theatricality of his agression, I pointed to the camera on my helmet and asked if he'd like to review the footage? I still watch the clip of the expression on his face changing as the penny dropped.

Priceless.

Amazing that he was outraged at your behaviour but thought nothing of hers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Priceless.

Poor driver behaviour is normalised. Cyclists are at fault for everything.

Yes, I do have a persecution complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Priceless.

Unfortunately not that amazing.

Other, more evolved countries such as the Netherlands *GET* the concept of protecting their most vulnerable road users though good infrastructure and also through culture/mindset change. They *GET* That mindset change comes from the state, the legislation it puts in place, and the mindset it instills in its police force. They *GET* it requires some force/effort from the top to bring about mindset change in the generation population.

We, as a society, simply don't GET the above the way others already have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭p15574

Zulu wrote: »
    link pls?

Sorry, I should have included the link. It was an Eken H9 cam on AliExpress. The exact product link from the original seller doesn't seem to be available but those in the search above are similar, and at similar prices. I chose the entry level one (ie with fewer attachments) to keep the value low for customs purposes. It does come with loads to start you off though, although I subsequently bought a "floaty bobber" (€1.85) for holiday swimming pool use (it's waterproof), and a chest/head/wrist harness etc (€8.13), and also a more permanent fixture for the bike (€5.28). I had felt like a bit of a dork with it so high on my helmet so changed to having it on the handlebars using attachements that came with it, but they had hand-screws so I wanted something less thievable that I could leave attached instead of having to remove every time I left the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

p15574 wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have included the link. It was an Eken H9 cam on AliExpress. The exact product link from the original seller doesn't seem to be available but those in the search above are similar, and at similar prices. I chose the entry level one (ie with fewer attachments) to keep the value low for customs purposes. It does come with loads to start you off though, although I subsequently bought a "floaty bobber" (€1.85) for holiday swimming pool use (it's waterproof), and a chest/head/wrist harness etc (€8.13), and also a more permanent fixture for the bike (€5.28). I had felt like a bit of a dork with it so high on my helmet so changed to having it on the handlebars using attachements that came with it, but they had hand-screws so I wanted something less thievable that I could leave attached instead of having to remove every time I left the bike.

Not terrible for that money:

coLUiDzl.jpg
    NPTweGWl.jpg

Not sure I'd rely on it for reg plates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Oh, they see it all right. Amazing the difference in driver behaviour when I have a helmet sitting ludicrously on top of my helmet.
    Yeah, I guess they might notice that all right - to be sure, to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Not sure if it’s ok to put actual incidents here or not but here goes.
    Walking up Camden street and came across the afters of a cyclist pedestrian
    Incident. Cyclist and some standers by were lifting a man of the road.
    Cyclist checks man is ok , man is ok so cycling day goes to leave. Man grabs bike to stop him leaving.cyclist is then surrounded by a mob of 4 people.
    Whiles I didn’t actually witness it it was clear that the pedestrian walked out from behind a car whiles jay walking without looking where he was going.
    Eventually most of the mob realizes that there was literally nothing he could have done to avoid the guy and left. Except for one eejit who’s argument was that the cyclist shouldn’t be cycling anywhere ever.
    It was amazing how every gob ****e assumed that the cyclist was at fault.
    Not sure what should have happened here though. Cyclist clearly not responsible for the accident , but should he have waited longer even though the pedestrian seemed fine? Or do you stay until a mob deems it ok ?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Playing devil's advocate here it was probably a good idea to wait until everyone was sure that any damage or injuries are sorted or info shared, however I'm sure the braying mob saw a bike and immediately decided Hitler himself was on a murderous rampage through town on his two wheeled death machine. Presumably while the good citizen drivers blissfully parked arseways and ignored every traffic light on the street - the rules of the road are strictly optional for vehicles on Camden Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Budawanny wrote: »
    Whiles I didn’t actually witness it it was clear that the pedestrian walked out from behind a car whiles jay walking without looking where he was going.

As already alluded elsewhere on this thread there's no such thing as jaywalking in Ireland. The pedestrian is at the top of the pecking order when it comes to vulnerable road users and the cyclist should have been able to stop on time - or if not then take the blame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

TooObvious wrote: »
    As already alluded elsewhere on this thread there's no such thing as jaywalking in Ireland. The pedestrian is at the top of the pecking order when it comes to vulnerable road users and the cyclist should have been able to stop on time - or if not then take the blame.

That's not how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Not sure if it’s ok to put actual incidents here or not but here goes.
    Walking up Camden street and came across the afters of a cyclist pedestrian
    Incident. Cyclist and some standers by were lifting a man of the road.
    Cyclist checks man is ok , man is ok so cycling day goes to leave. Man grabs bike to stop him leaving.cyclist is then surrounded by a mob of 4 people.
    Eventually most of the mob realizes that there was literally nothing he could have done to avoid the guy and left. Except for one eejit who’s argument was that the cyclist shouldn’t be cycling anywhere ever.
    It was amazing how every gob ****e assumed that the cyclist was at fault.
    Not sure what should have happened here though. Cyclist clearly not responsible for the accident , but should he have waited longer even though the pedestrian seemed fine? Or do you stay until a mob deems it ok ?

the 'mob' was right to stop him if they were unsure if the pedestrian was injured.
    look at it from the opposite way, if a pedestrian knocked a cyclist off their bike would it be ok for the pedestrian to walk away? You'd hope others present would stop them too

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

bus never indicated, even when i got in front and looked back, the indicator was never on.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

site_owner wrote:
    bus never indicated, even when i got in front and looked back, the indicator was never on.

Scary! You did well to stay upright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,176 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

site_owner wrote: »

Seems that company has a bit of a habit of ****ty driving. Same day as your incident, too much of a coincidence to be the same driver? I'd be flagging the video on twitter to them, and piggy backing this guys tweets who are being retweeted by the cycling advocacy groups.

https://twitter.com/CH415_/status/1050303527745146881

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Another devils advocate, you didn't see it so we will never be sure but if it happened the way you describe, my opinion would be that the cyclist is at least partially responsible. There is a reason other than dooring why you do not cycle close to parked cars or buses and this would be the reason. I say this knowing full well that alot of cyclists do this because that is where the cycle lane puts you. If I am overtaking a truck, lorry, bus that has pulled in or is parked, I give much more room on the way by as I don't know who might come out from behind it. Much the same way as you are not allowed overtake pulled in buses in other parts of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

site_owner wrote: »

fvcking hell.
    there are several recent bad ones on twitter for Matthews coaches too. edit...as already noted above.

Some prosecution lawyer is rubbing the hands together at the idea of all that free background evidence if a Matthews bus driver ever gets into a crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

I've had a few close ones with JJ Kavanaghs coaches on the Quays. They seem to be particularly aggressive towards cyclists. Anyone else experience this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Some prosecution lawyer is rubbing the hands together at the idea of all that free background evidence if a Matthews bus driver ever gets into a crash.
    If that was the case then you would think Matthews or at least their insurance company would look for better driver standards?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement