Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin marathon 2018 sold out in May!

Options
  • 05-06-2018 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I couldn't find a 2018 Dublin marathon post, apologies if it exists. Imagine my surprise when I went to enter the marathon 5 full months in advance to find out it has sold out! Great to see the event growing bigger and bigger.
    If anyone who has a spot cannot run for whatever reason between now and then I'd be very keen for a transfer. Good luck in the training guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hutchy_belfast

I've just seen there are no transfers so I guess I'm out this year. Good luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I've just seen there are no transfers so I guess I'm out this year. Good luck to all!

berlin will have to do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

Will they release a few more spots? They are allowing full series entries which is a nice money grabber for them. But I'd have no interest in anything other than the main event. Bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I couldn't find a 2018 Dublin marathon post, apologies if it exists. Imagine my surprise when I went to enter the marathon 5 full months in advance to find out it has sold out! Great to see the event growing bigger and bigger.
    If anyone who has a spot cannot run for whatever reason between now and then I'd be very keen for a transfer. Good luck in the training guys!

Since they moved it to Sunday instead of Monday it has jumped in popularity and is getting sold out earlier. Use to be able to enter it at beginning of October no problem

BTW keep an eye out on Donedeal and Adverts.ie for a ticket. Got one there from an injured guy in September so you will have no problem getting a place. But you will have to run it under the seller's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

The series bundle doesn't include the marathon - completely sold out.

Don't think they bundled it with the marathon at any stage this year (unlike previous years). Could be wrong on that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 hutchy_belfast

ittakestwo wrote: »

Since they moved it to Sunday instead of Monday it has jumped in popularity and is getting sold out earlier. Use to be able to enter it at beginning of October no problem

BTW keep an eye out on Donedeal and Adverts.ie for a ticket. Got one there from an injured guy in September so you will have no problem getting a place. But you will have to run it under the seller's name.
    Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I need it to be in my name. Unfortunately I missed my Berlin time by just over a minute in a hot marathon this spring so Dublin was the plan to get it for next year. That'll teach me to be slack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I need it to be in my name. Unfortunately I missed my Berlin time by just over a minute in a hot marathon this spring so Dublin was the plan to get it for next year. That'll teach me to be slack!

Frankfurt is same day could be worth a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

<mod>Just a reminder that DCM does not allow transfers and boards therefore does not allow asking for or offering transfers.</mod>

If you missed out on DCM but want to run a marathon in Ireland around the same time, there are alternatives. They are mostly low-key events and nothing like the buzz of DCM but they are still proper marathons.

non-DCM October / November marathons:

06-Oct-18 Galway Bay Marathon Run Galway Bay

06-Oct-18 EOI Marathon Lusk, Co. Dublin

07-Oct-18 Enniscrone Marathon, O’Dubhda Challenge, Sligo

13-Oct-18 MCI Westmeath

20-Oct-18 The Great Western Greenway Run – Achill to Westport Western Greenway

03-Nov-18 MCI Venue TBC

03-Nov-18 EOI Marathon Bellewstown, Co Meath

10/11 Nov Beleek Marathon

17-18 Nov BMOH Eddie Murphy Memorial B2B, Sixmilebridge

24-Nov-18 MCI Venue TBC

<mod>Just a reminder that DCM does not allow transfers and boards therefore does not allow asking for or offering transfers.</mod>

If you missed out on DCM but want to run a marathon in Ireland around the same time, there are alternatives. They are mostly low-key events and nothing like the buzz of DCM but they are still proper marathons.

non-DCM October / November marathons:

06-Oct-18 Galway Bay Marathon Run Galway Bay

06-Oct-18 EOI Marathon Lusk, Co. Dublin

07-Oct-18 Enniscrone Marathon, O’Dubhda Challenge, Sligo

13-Oct-18 MCI Westmeath

20-Oct-18 The Great Western Greenway Run – Achill to Westport Western Greenway

03-Nov-18 MCI Venue TBC

03-Nov-18 EOI Marathon Bellewstown, Co Meath

10/11 Nov Beleek Marathon

17-18 Nov BMOH Eddie Murphy Memorial B2B, Sixmilebridge

24-Nov-18 MCI Venue TBC

Just to add some big city marathon's also as alternatives most of which have cheap enough entry that you could warrant travelling without costing an arm and a leg

7th October - Budapest Marathon (HUN)

14th October - Eindhoven Marathon (NED)

21st October - Amsterdam Marathon (NED)

28th October - Frankfurt Marathon (GER)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

Just to add some big city marathon's also as alternatives most of which have cheap enough entry that you could warrant travelling without costing an arm and a leg

7th October - Budapest Marathon (HUN)

14th October - Eindhoven Marathon (NED)

21st October - Amsterdam Marathon (NED)

28th October - Frankfurt Marathon (GER)

Frankfurt is a brilliant value for money Marathon. Ran it in 2008 and it puts Dublin to shame for atmosphere and buzz. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

If DCM is filling up so early it was the case before that there would be no bigish marathon in Oct as everyone would go for DCM. There is probably a market for another marathon near enough to DCM that is a handy size. Traveling is not an option for most people.

rom wrote: »
    If DCM is filling up so early it was the case before that there would be no bigish marathon in Oct as everyone would go for DCM. There is probably a market for another marathon near enough to DCM that is a handy size. Traveling is not an option for most people.

Belfast was just above 2,100 runners
    Cork can barely break 1,000 runners,
    Limerick 700 runners
    Galway 300 runners

Despite large numbers wanting to do DCM I don't think a rival event would get huge numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Limerick 700 runners
    Galway 300 runners

Despite large numbers wanting to do DCM I don't think a rival event would get huge numbers

Wow, it seems even more incredible when you compare it to those numbers! 20,000 people signing up 5+ months in advance and our other city marathons are barely or not even hitting 4 digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

rom wrote: »

Limerick 700 runners
    Galway 300 runners

That’s true about getting huge numbers. but a nice favorable course in mid to late November would be nice. You’d have a fair few who couldn’t make the DCM start line with injuries, those who had a bad day at the office and want to use the training as well as those who don’t actually like the DCM course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Limerick 700 runners
    Galway 300 runners

Are those numbers for purely full marathoners or do they include relay runners, etc?

Just curious.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Are those numbers for purely full marathoners or do they include relay runners, etc?

Just curious.

Just for marathon however the addition of the extra races is to bolster the numbers to cover expenses due to necessity (road closures etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

I think the only way you would get a better number of runners running marathons in cork, belfast or limerick is just to hold a marathon and not include the half or relay

if dublin had these options also, the numbers in my opinion for the marathon would drop by a good number.

its too big of a gamble for cork just to run a marathon though. the numbers wouldnt make it justifiable to close so many roads and the main street of cork for less than 1000 runners spread over a 6 hour period

its a shame, unless thy could come up with holding it a different weekend and attracted more to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Might sound obvious, but I'd say a big part of the attraction of the Dublin Marathon is that it's eh.......in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ariana` wrote: »
    Wow, it seems even more incredible when you compare it to those numbers! 20,000 people signing up 5+ months in advance and our other city marathons are barely or not even hitting 4 digits.

Many of those running Limerick and Cork will also be running Dublin. There are probably fewer than a thousand people each year who run a marathon in Ireland and don't run Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

My first ever Marathon is Dublin :) Really looking forward to it! Running a 10k race tonight and have a busy weekend ahead so official marathon training is starting Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Im giving Galway marathon a go this year to give myself a break from DCM. Obviously wont be as much of a buzz, but looking forward to a weekend in Galway with the family. Race is Saturday morning, so have the rest of the weekend free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

No denying the fact too that the event junkies have latched onto the DCM as well. It's become a bit like the women's mini marathon, people who don't run and wouldn't do other events sign up and partake in the marathon for a day out or charity or whatever. Plenty of people local to me do it and never touch the runners again from November 1st to June 1st!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

pconn062 wrote: »
    No denying the fact too that the event junkies have latched onto the DCM as well. It's become a bit like the women's mini marathon, people who don't run and wouldn't do other events sign up and partake in the marathon for a day out or charity or whatever. Plenty of people local to me do it and never touch the runners again from November 1st to June 1st!

I cant see why people have a problem with this. At the end of the day you cant begrudge people that got a spot ahead of you, just because they dont run as much as you do.

People do it for charity because it obviously hits close to home, they want to help raise money for a cause that they care about and how anyone can see anything wrong with this is beyond me (not directly aimed at you).

People do it every now and again because they enjoy the atmosphere from it, get a kick out of it and want to tick it off the bucket list, something to keep them fit throughout the summer, etc. Why should they have to run all year to run the marathon? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    I cant see why people have a problem with this. At the end of the day you cant begrudge people that got a spot ahead of you, just because they dont run as much as you do.

People do it for charity because it obviously hits close to home, they want to help raise money for a cause that they care about and how anyone can see anything wrong with this is beyond me (not directly aimed at you).

People do it every now and again because they enjoy the atmosphere from it, get a kick out of it and want to tick it off the bucket list, something to keep them fit throughout the summer, etc. Why should they have to run all year to run the marathon? :pac:

I have no problem with it, I wouldn't run the marathon if you paid me so it doesn't affect me in the slightest if it sells out. Just giving another reason why it sells out so quick, and why it much more popular than all the other marathons in Ireland combined. For a lot of people it's a bucket list item, not a running event. And more power to them if they want to raise money for charity too. I'm happy to see it sell out every year so long as it doesn't become the costly, charity fest that the London marathon has become.

I think there is probably a near infinite list of people ahead of pconn for the marathon (unless DCM moved it 105 lap race around Morton Stadium :P)

It is worth pointing out though that this is also the Dublin and All Ireland Championships so you could understand people taking this stance. Many clubs have a heavy emphasis on DCM and as such many distance training groups plan with this in mind which can make it hard for anyone considering joining in the summer months if they don't already have an entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

I don't see a problem with this. Plenty of opportunity for dedicated runners to get an entry in early and to avail of the earlier waves to get a good time and to show off the skills:p Also plenty of other 'hardcore marathons' around the country for those more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I have no problem with it, I wouldn't run the marathon if you paid me so it doesn't affect me in the slightest if it sells out. Just giving another reason why it sells out so quick, and why it much more popular than all the other marathons in Ireland combined. For a lot of people it's a bucket list item, not a running event. And more power to them if they want to raise money for charity too. I'm happy to see it sell out every year so long as it doesn't become the costly, charity fest that the London marathon has become.
    I think there is probably a near infinite list of people ahead of pconn for the marathon (unless DCM moved it 105 lap race around Morton Stadium :P)

It is worth pointing out though that this is also the Dublin and All Ireland Championships so you could understand people taking this stance. Many clubs have a heavy emphasis on DCM and as such many distance training groups plan with this in mind which can make it hard for anyone considering joining in the summer months if they don't already have an entry.

@pconn Apologies if that post looked like it was just aimed at yourself, it wasnt. I have heard of a fair few people having this stance on 'casual' runners doing the marathon ahead of them because they didnt enter in time, thats what I was trying to get across.

@Testosterscone If someone is competing in the Dublin or All Ireland Championships, they should be entering on the opening day of entry in all fairness, so again I dont see how these can begrudge people who have entry's who may not be as serious as them. I agree there should be a small reserved number of slots for these entry's, but thats an argument for another day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

On a slightly related subject do you know if someone enters the marathon as an unattached athlete who later joins a club can be added to the club team and be eligible for Dublin or National championships?

@Testosterscone If someone is competing in the Dublin or All Ireland Championships, they should be entering on the opening day of entry in all fairness, so again I dont see how these can begrudge people who have entry's who may not be as serious as them. I agree there should be a small reserved number of slots for these entry's, but thats an argument for another day :pac:

I was just making the point that begrudgery aside it does provide a road block to what is (along with January) probably the best potential in new member recruitment from a club perspective but again this is looking at it from a running/sport event.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    On a slightly related subject do you know if someone enters the marathon as an unattached athlete who later joins a club can be added to the club team and be eligible for Dublin or National championships?

As far as I am aware you can, not sure if you have to mail into DCM office but I think they can change it up until provisional lists are sent to AAI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

skyblue46 wrote: »

I did this a few years ago by ringing the DCM office and giving my Athletics Ireland number.

Advertisement