Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin marathon 2018 sold out in May!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I did this a few years ago by ringing the DCM office and giving my Athletics Ireland number.

AI usually have a desk at the expo, you can register for the national champs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I wonder if there would be a big enough market for two Dublin marathons? Was it ever on the radar for Rock n Roll to expand their offering? Warsaw has a spring and autumn marathon, different sponsors and afaik organizations, but both seem reasonably successful. DCM is a very different animal now compared to when I did my first in 2005,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Anyone thinking of doing Galway in October would need to enter. Race is limited and there is less then 30 spots left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

ger664 wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of doing Galway in October would need to enter. Race is limited and there is less then 30 spots left

Do they do transfers? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I wonder if there would be a big enough market for two Dublin marathons? Was it ever on the radar for Rock n Roll to expand their offering? Warsaw has a spring and autumn marathon, different sponsors and afaik organizations, but both seem reasonably successful. DCM is a very different animal now compared to when I did my first in 2005,

Not sure that would be a good idea. A lot do Dublin for the atmosphere rather than they are marathon runners. If you look at other marathons around the country they can barley get 1k runners. If Dublin is selling out 6 months before it with 20k entries, it would have to be presumed a lot are entering it because it is ''The Dublin City Marathon''. If you had 2 then you could undermine DCM, and the atmosphere wouldn't be as good in either. Dublin brings out huge crowds for it and doubt there would be big crowds if there was 2 a year as the prestige of it would be diluted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

On the waiting list, what are the chances of geting a spot now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Thanks for the heads up. I had emailed them to ask when it was likely to sell out and they said it was late July last year, so had held off entering.

Saw your post and got in.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

shayno90 wrote: »

Same problem here, Kilkenny is too early for me after missing out on DCM already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Lads nice flat one in Sixmilebridge 18th of November

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Lads nice flat one in Sixmilebridge 18th of November

Well, there is that one hill ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Well, there is that one hill ...

Is that the one run on a mile loop so that one hill is run 26 times?

Is that the one run on a mile loop so that one hill is run 26 times?

Yes, and somehow that hill gets a little bit bigger every single lap ...

However, it's a fantastic event. Most people think running a 1 mile loop 26 (or 30, or 52) times is totally bonkers but that's what makes it such a social event, you are constantly passing people or getting passed and you end up chatting to dozens of runners of all abilities, unlike most races where you can end up running on your own for hours on end (not an issue at DCM, obviously).

It's VERY different to Dublin but if you missed out then I'd highly recommend considering this as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Yes, and somehow that hill gets a little bit bigger every single lap ...

However, it's a fantastic event. Most people think running a 1 mile loop 26 (or 30, or 52) times is totally bonkers but that's what makes it such a social event, you are constantly passing people or getting passed and you end up chatting to dozens of runners of all abilities, unlike most races where you can end up running on your own for hours on end (not an issue at DCM, obviously).

It's VERY different to Dublin but if you missed out then I'd highly recommend considering this as an alternative.

eddie murphy is a great event!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

+1 to this. I did this last year and really really enjoyed it. The organisers really look after you and you get a great kick from the encouragement that you get each time you go around. That hill gets a lot steeper after you've gone up it 20 times too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

shayno90 wrote: »

Secured a place today with a deferral or race downgrade so a good possibility if you registered a day after it sold it, you may get a spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

100 days to go according to their tweet an hour ago.

Which is actually wrong according to my desk calendar. 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rossi7

aquinn wrote: »
    100 days to go according to their tweet an hour ago.

Which is actually wrong according to my desk calendar. 101.
    100 days and ex amount of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

<mod>Just a reminder that DCM does not allow transfers and boards therefore does not allow asking for or offering transfers.</mod>

If you missed out on DCM but want to run a marathon in Ireland around the same time, there are alternatives. They are mostly low-key events and nothing like the buzz of DCM but they are still proper marathons.

non-DCM October / November marathons:

06-Oct-18 Galway Bay Marathon Run Galway Bay

06-Oct-18 EOI Marathon Lusk, Co. Dublin

07-Oct-18 Enniscrone Marathon, O’Dubhda Challenge, Sligo

13-Oct-18 MCI Westmeath

20-Oct-18 The Great Western Greenway Run – Achill to Westport Western Greenway

03-Nov-18 MCI Venue TBC

03-Nov-18 EOI Marathon Bellewstown, Co Meath

10/11 Nov Beleek Marathon

17-18 Nov BMOH Eddie Murphy Memorial B2B, Sixmilebridge

24-Nov-18 MCI Venue TBC

Which of these might be considered flat? And I mean actually fairly flat, not what you really tough f*ckers think is flat by your standards!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Does anybody know how I change waves? I have entered wave 1 but would prefer to run in wave 2 with a couple of friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

smeal wrote: »
    Does anybody know how I change waves? I have entered wave 1 but would prefer to run in wave 2 with a couple of friends.

You can drop down to a lower wave on the day, that's not a problem.
    Moving up to a faster wave is more of an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

pc11 wrote: »
    Which of these might be considered flat? And I mean actually fairly flat, not what you really tough f*ckers think is flat by your standards!

Galway 👌ðŸ»

Hatch99 wrote: »
    pc11 wrote: »

Galway &#55357;&#56396;ðŸ»

MCI Westmeath as well if it's held in Lilliput. Not sure about most of the rest. Sixmilebridge only has one small hill. Unfortunately you have to run it 26 times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hobbyjogger

RayCun wrote: »
    You can drop down to a lower wave on the day, that's not a problem.
    Moving up to a faster wave is more of an issue.

When you say more of an issue, how would one go about moving up waves?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Email the marathon office?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Sorry. I responded in the wrong thread.

Advertisement