Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Only AWS work here, Amazon the web shopping company has no presence and likely no interest in one here. We're too tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Bit late seeing this thread but Amazon do some Chinese phones, no Xiaomi's though for some reason.

Up until Saturday Amazon sold the Mi A1 directly, now they have 16 sellers , some of which are fulfilled by amazon , so you would have similar protection as buying from amazon directly if things go wrong (well, at least I hope so)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Ah ok I only use the UK version, hopefully when they open the Tallaght warehouse we can go and collect them rather than wait

A Tallaght warehouse?! That sounds great. Is that just for xiaomi or is it a general warehouse for Chinese goods from a reseller such as geekbuying.
    When is it due to open?
    Sssh the looters will hear ye

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭corkie

Top 5 Chinese Smartphones for Under $200 – April 2018
    1. Xiaomi Redmi Note 5
    2. Lenovo S5
    3. Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus <<< Why would anyone get this instead of RN5?
    4. Huawei Honor 7x <<< no band 20 support.
    5. ZTE Blade V9

[Concept] ZTE Iceberg is the first smartphone with two notches
    ^^^ As if one Notch wasn't bad enough!

gsmarena_002.jpg

@Suckit <<< A bit of discussion other than Xiaomi for you! :)

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Received my Honor View 10 today, got it as part of the Honor Open Source Program for Android developers etc. Its a pretty nice device. EMUI as usual is very meh, but the camera seems pretty good and the screen is nice too, as is the overall build quality. Feels very sturdy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Hey All,
    Is there some shoddy sellers duping customers in Aliexpress or is this customs?

The MI Global Store state "No Customs" but not "No Tax".
    The Redmi 5 Plus Comes in at 160 delivered with "No Customs". At least one person from Ireland received a customs and tax bill (in the item feedback).

Would I be right to go with Honor Buy altogether?
    Also I'm wondering if I should get the 4gb/64gb Redmi 5 Plus or the MI A1? Screen size v Stock Android. Also I cant seem to find out how many more android updates that the MI A1 will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I wouldn't say "duping" But they have no way to guarantee. At least buying from an EU warehouse, like Honorbuy who ship it from their location. Its quick and painless (no surprises for extra custom charges)
    I'd go with them.

Not sure about updates for the Mi A1. Another option might be the Redmi note 5 pro - due for global release on the 18th. Keep an eye on this thread. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057852692

Hey All,

The Redmi 5 Plus Comes in at 160 delivered with "No Customs". At least one person from Ireland received a customs and tax bill (in the item feedback).

Also I'm wondering if I should get the 4gb/64gb Redmi 5 Plus or the MI A1? Screen size v Stock Android. Also I cant seem to find out how many more android updates that the MI A1 will get.

Have you a link to item with the poor feedback, did the buyer forget to use DHL for VAT Free shipping?

There seems to be two stores going by the Mi Global Store, first store which is recommend by xiaomi reddit. Second store, i have not heard about.

HonorBuy get recommended allot, plus you will have PayPal protection if you purchase using that option.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Hey All,

I have used them twice recently and had no problems, phones get shipped to the UK first then on to destination country.So the from a customs point of view they arrive from the UK.
    Cant find that review but I reckon Corkie is correct and the buyer used the standard delivery by mistake.
    The MIA1 is guaranteed to get updated to at least Android 9 (was launched on 7)

Couldn't post the store earlier from mobile app as the link looked weird.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-5-Plus-32GB-ROM-3GB-RAM-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core-Mobile-Phone/3010045_32852239804.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.7b6e24f2uLrOJw

That likely makes sense by not using DHL. Some lad from Cahir got busted as he posted the revenue letter with his address :(
    Thanks for MI A1 info too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

A slight aside, but I'm just wondering, has anyone used any of the Xiaomi routers?

The router I have with Vodafone is having trouble with the poured concrete wall in the middle of our house so I'm wondering if replacing it with this and adding one or two of these extenders would be a low cost solution?

fixxxer wrote: »
    A slight aside, but I'm just wondering, has anyone used any of the Xiaomi routers?

The router I have with Vodafone is having trouble with the poured concrete wall in the middle of our house so I'm wondering if replacing it with this and adding one or two of these extenders would be a low cost solution?

Sounds like a Powerline wifi extender might do the job:
    Argos, Currys etc.
    Some people more in the know might help ya out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I have, and find them excellent.
    I have an older mini edition in two different houses. I also had two youth editions. They were okay until a reset. Good for the bin after that.

I think they have both been discontinued for newer models.
    I also bought a MantisTek WR300 fairly recently and find it very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Sounds like a Powerline wifi extender might do the job:
    Argos, Currys etc.
    Some people more in the know might help ya out.

I use the TP-Link one from Powercity - it's great! My home office is up in the attic (converted) and it works no problem

Xiaomi's gaming phone is here: Meet the Black Shark
    Xiaomi launched its gaming smartphone subrand today with the Black Shark coming to lead the charge. It is an entirely new device with customized hardware to bring out the best gaming performance out of a handset, including a new type of cooling system, new ISP, the latest Snapdragon 845 and a massive 4,000 mAh battery.
    A 5.99” 18:9 IPS LCD with Full HD+ resolution and 97% DCI-P3 coverage takes the front. The Snapdragon 845 chip comes with the usual Kryo 385 cores and Adreno 630 GPU. For optimal performance, Xiaomi equipped the phone with a multi-stage integrated liquid cooling system that brings the CPU temperature 8° C down.
    The phone does not have a microSD slot, but comes in two versions - 6 GB RAM + 64 GB internal storage or 8 GB RAM + 128 GB storage. The image processing chip onboard is new by MEMC that brings sharper colors and overall smooth performance when needed.
    ...and then it will be available for purchase in either Polar Night Black or Sky Gray. The roomier memory variant (8GB RAM/128GB storage) costs CNY3,499, which is €452/$557. The 6/64 GB version is CNY2,999 which translates to €387/$477, making it the cheapest Snapdragon 845 phone up to date. The Black Shark Gamepad is sold separately for CNY179 (€23/$28).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

corkie wrote: »
    Oh no, I was keeping an eye on that but the back is hideous! Like one of those generic €100 rugged phones on all the Chinese sites...

[XDA] Honor 10 announced with a 5.84″ notched display and dual cameras

huawei-honor-10-r1.jpg
    Honor’s last flagship, the Honor View 10, was announced for international markets in December after a November announcement in China. It went on sale in a number of markets such as India and the U.K. in January, and in March it finally went on sale in the U.S. Since then, we have seen multiple rumors about a new Honor device called the Honor 10. At an event in China on Thursday, Honor officially unveiled the Honor 10 for the Chinese market.

The Honor View 10 was a hybrid of the Huawei Mate 10 and the Mate 10 Pro, but with its own design identity. The Honor 10, however, takes some design inspiration from the Huawei P20 as it features a glass back with alternating colors and a display notch. In terms of specifications, the Honor 10 features the flagship HiSilicon Kirin 970 system-on-chip and a new dual camera setup.

[gsmarena] Honor 10 unveiled with Kirin 970 chipset to power the AI of the dual camera

Specs: - https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_10-9157.php

No Band 20 for LTE use here and no sdcard support.

corkie wrote: »
    [XDA] Honor 10 announced with a 5.84″ notched display and dual cameras

huawei-honor-10-r1.jpg
    Honor’s last flagship, the Honor View 10, was announced for international markets in December after a November announcement in China. It went on sale in a number of markets such as India and the U.K. in January, and in March it finally went on sale in the U.S. Since then, we have seen multiple rumors about a new Honor device called the Honor 10. At an event in China on Thursday, Honor officially unveiled the Honor 10 for the Chinese market.

The Honor View 10 was a hybrid of the Huawei Mate 10 and the Mate 10 Pro, but with its own design identity. The Honor 10, however, takes some design inspiration from the Huawei P20 as it features a glass back with alternating colors and a display notch. In terms of specifications, the Honor 10 features the flagship HiSilicon Kirin 970 system-on-chip and a new dual camera setup.

[gsmarena] Honor 10 unveiled with Kirin 970 chipset to power the AI of the dual camera

Specs: - https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_10-9157.php

No Band 20 for LTE use here and no sdcard support.
    Not much good so

Not much good so

Still a decent phone for some. Like those on the 48 network, no 4g.

Asus ZenFone Max Pro (M1) competitor to RN5[WHYRED] or Mi A1!

[gsmarena] Zenfone Max Pro M1 will have a 5,000 mAh battery, "pure" Android Oreo

ZenFone%2BMax%2BM1.jpg
    The phone will live up to its name with a 5,000 mAh battery, which should last a long, long time with the 14nm Snapdragon 636 chipset.

The phone will feature a 6” screen with an 18:9 aspect ratio and will run “pure Android Oreo”, though we’re not 100% sure if this means Android One or not. The memory will feature up to 6 GB of RAM and up to 64 GB storage (suggesting a 4 GB / 32 GB version). The good news is that there will be three card slots – two for SIMs and one for a microSD.

ASUS New ZenFone Max Pro M1 offers a pure Android Experience

Asus ZenFone Max Pro (M1) Specifications Emerge Ahead of April 23 Launch

No news on Bands supported, 636 Chip and separated slot for sdcard are positive features. Still with micro usb. Pure Android but unclear if it will be Android One.

Compare: Asus ZenFone Max Pro (M1) + Redmi Note 5[China] + Mi A1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

corkie wrote:
    Asus ZenFone Max Pro (M1) competitor to RN5[WHYRED] or Mi A1!

Yes but will it have a notch??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭cmac2009

I'm in the market for a new phone for a while but have yet to pull the trigger. Currently have an Mi4c and it has served me well, so with this and a few more of their products I've become a bit of an Xiaomi fan.

My budget is around 300-350 mark but could stretch a little bit more if needed. Had been looking at Mi6 but a bit put off by the weight and some other negatives. Just wondering if anyone else had any recommendations in this price range. Prefer smaller screens so 5.15in is probably my max

cmac2009 wrote: »
    I'm in the market for a new phone for a while but have yet to pull the trigger. Currently have an Mi4c and it has served me well, so with this and a few more of their products I've become a bit of an Xiaomi fan.

My budget is around 300-350 mark but could stretch a little bit more if needed. Had been looking at Mi6 but a bit put off by the weight and some other negatives. Just wondering if anyone else had any recommendations in this price range. Prefer smaller screens so 5.15in is probably my max

Because of your screen size limit there's only a few xiaomi phones within your range. The footprint of a 5.5" screen won't be too much a jump up and would give you many more option.
    Mi A1
    Redmi Note 4 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭cmac2009

GBX wrote: »
    Because of your screen size limit there's only a few xiaomi phones within your range. The footprint of a 5.5" screen won't be too much a jump up and would give you many more option.
    Mi A1
    Redmi Note 4 ...

Sorry should have said, although I'm fan of xiaomi, I'm not restricting the search to just them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

whats the best really big chinese phone ?....the mi max 2 is maybe best i've seen....but theres probably others i'm not aware of.
    take the samsung s8+ / s9+...although screen is 6.2" diagonal..put it side by side with a traditional 16:9 5.5 or 5.7" screen and theres not a wild lot of difference...width is same.
    i actually prefer 16:9 and dont even like curved screens...but seems it'll be 18:9 or close to that, that will be standard now.

I've. A mi Max 2 since they came out, reliable,big,but updates vv slow,don't think it'll get Oreo,also new one coming out, also getting it unlocked is a nightmare, sorry leaving mi phones, bought a Nokia 7 plus for the kid, will do same for me Fein,or maybe the Moto G6 plus,nice looking ,well stacked phobe

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Xiaomi changed the way I buy a phone. I looked at what I needed & my priorities. I discovered that I only needed to spend 170. Since getting the phone I look at higher models & weigh up whether the extra features are worth double the price - to me they aren't.

Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 images, specifications leaked online

zenfone-max-pro-m1_660_042218065430.jpg
    Yes but will it have a notch??

No Notch!

Conflicting information from a reddit post: -
    Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1, launching tomorrow (23/4) in Indonesia and probably India too. 4/64 is Rp 2.999.999 (216 USD), while 3/32 is Rp 2.199.999 (159 USD). SD 636, 5000 mAh, USB Type-C + QC 3.0, dual camera, and most importantly stock android.

Stock android but not android one. Conflicting information regarding charging port.

We will find out early tomorrow morning here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

^ What's the difference between stock Android and Android One Corkie?

This phone might be worth it's own thread, you reckon?

Edit: actually, on reading that Reddit link, it has no headphone jack..
    Deal breaker for me.
    WHYRED it is for me (unless the Mi A1 drops further in price before the WHYRED is available)

• Advertisement

UsedToWait wrote: »
    ^ What's the difference between stock Android and Android One Corkie?

This phone might be worth it's own thread, you reckon?

Edit: actually, on reading that Reddit link, it has no headphone jack..
    Deal breaker for me.
    WHYRED it is for me (unless the Mi A1 drops further in price before the WHYRED is available)

I would take the leaked specs with a grain of salt, gsmarena says it has a headphone jack. Didn't see it mentioned in the reddit link.

Android One is a program from google with guaranteed updates for 3 years. Asus will probably load the device with an AOSP stock rom.

I will leave it up to someone more interested in the device, if they want to start a thread. WHYRED is still my favorite because of kernel sources out and the fact there is already custom rom support.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement