Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed cameras in Ireland - a guide

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The belief is that it's better to get driver to slow down now (and give them.the opportunity to avoid punishment) rather than send them a fine and some points in a few weeks when they've forgotten all about it.
    This also means more towards the philosophy that it's about reducing speed rather than revenue generating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

kbannon wrote: »
    The belief is that it's better to get driver to slow down now (and give them.the opportunity to avoid punishment) rather than send them a fine and some points in a few weeks when they've forgotten all about it.
    This also means more towards the philosophy that it's about reducing speed rather than revenue generating.

I guess different people have different beliefs and we are all entitled to our personal opinions on how things should be done.

It's only generating revenue if people refuse to abide by the rules of the road. Punishment for flouting the laws in a reasonable outcome for doing so.

The whole "revenue generating" excuse is a small minded pitiful excuse for "I don't like being caught speeding and I think that speed vans are just for generating revenue because that excuse suits me and makes my habitual speeding seem to be OK." I have noticed that the people who complain about speed vans are usually those who speed a lot. Conversely, people who abide by the rules and don't speed generally don't have a problem with them. This points very obviously to the "Speeders who don't like being caught out" scenario. As someone who doesn't speed, I have no issue with speed vans....why??? Because they have zero impact on my driving style, my pocket or my licence.

We have a terrible culture that seems to make speeding drivers who are caught to be victims, rather than being the wrong doers. We, as in every driver in the country needs to cop on and just abide by the rules of the road. Every person who has passed their driving test and has a full drivers licence will have signed a declaration to abide by the rules of the road. If you are unable to follow your duty that you have agreed to, hand back your licence and get off the road and stop complaining that you've been caught for being a gob$hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Does a person have to be in the back of the van for these to work?

I passed one recently and the guy was in the front seat shuffling through papers, presumably starting his shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

sozbox wrote: »
    Does a person have to be in the back of the van for these to work?

I passed one recently and the guy was in the front seat shuffling through papers, presumably starting his shift.

No once set up that is it but they must stay with the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

RSA have confirmed that go safe vans are able to detect from both front and rear of the vans or so they are telling people at their stand at the Ploughing event.

Dunno if this is a new thing but I always understood that it was only from the rear of the van they could detect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

No once set up that is it but they must stay with the van.

Are you sure about that? Just saw this from today which says the cameras are always manned

http://m.independent.ie/business/farming/ploughing-championships/watch-how-many-lanes-are-monitored-and-is-there-somebody-in-there-inside-a-speed-camera-van-36150675.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭mikeecho

RSA have confirmed that go safe vans are able to detect from both front and rear of the vans or so they are telling people at their stand at the Ploughing event.

Dunno if this is a new thing but I always understood that it was only from the rear of the van they could detect.

Don't how they can manage that when the radar only looks out the rear of the van.

I presume they meant that the vans can catch you traveling in either direction, but the photo and speed reading will be taken from the rear window.

Unless GoSafe have managed to alter the AGD/Redflex radar system to defy the laws of physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Absolutely, categorically false. Most of those stands are manned by marketing agencies and read off a script. Don't know the answer? Smile and make something up to appease the punter.

GoSafe vans, or any speed technology, can only read your speed when you can see the device that measures you speed (Simple physics)

Whats are the rear of the van only? A radar system.

Hence, a GoSafe van or any other van, can only measure your speed going towards and away from the rear doors of the van.

And whats also located there? The camera.

Hence, a GoSafe van or any other van, can only take your picture when you are going towards and away from the rear doors of the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I was just about to ask the same question because I was at the ploughing yesterday and the guy explaining about it said that a vehicle could be got from both the front and back.

He fobbed me off when i told him that I was at the Tullamore show back in august and the RSA guy there told us that it only worked from the back of the van.

They could at least try to be truthful with the information they are giving ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,031 ✭✭✭✭Esel

To paraphrase then: You can be caught speeding traveling in either direction.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

Esel wrote: »
    That's what It assumed what was meant... You can be caught from the front (travelling towards the camera) or from the rear (travelling away from the camera).

I wish I was in Ireland right now. I'd happily go down and film the whole thing as I take the RSA apart on this topic. There is a video doing the rounds on social media, I think from the Independent, and its riddled with errors.

ironclaw wrote: »
    I wish I was in Ireland right now. I'd happily go down and film the whole thing as I take the RSA apart on this topic. There is a video doing the rounds on social media, I think from the Independent, and its riddled with errors.

Probably because the guy giving the info, is a desk jockey, who really doesn't know how the technology works, or it's limitations.
    And as a result is trying to answer questions (the same questions asked ad naseum ) that he had probably only been given a general brief on.

I think we should make a post with correct & factual info. It'll be long, contain pics diagrams etc and then be locked and stickied.

Every time a new thread is created, we can just refer to op to it, and it won't up being 184pages long.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭blackis200

If a driver is driving under or just under the limit and sees a speed van, why would someone 'brake suddenly'?

I agree with having these vans, don't agree with other drivers warning me that one is ahead. I drive under the limit. Plus personally think they should be unmarked. Also why there should be a site outlining where they are is plain silly.

You're one of those bad drivers, dangerously slow on the road then.
    You should be booked, fined and banned until you learn to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

highdef wrote: »
    I disagree. If drivers don't see the vans and get a fine (or multiple fines), I would say that would be a much better incentive to slow down in general and not just where you see marked vans. If everyone knew that they could be caught on any stretch of road anywhere in the country without knowing they've been caught, you can be pretty sure that speeding would become less prevalent.
    This ridiculous set-up of advertising speed vans only helps to cause traffic problems due to gob****es slamming on the brakes causing brake light tailbacks, not to mention the inherent dangers of braking heavily on a what is likely to be a clear road. Just make the cameras as discreet as possible, completely invisible, ideally. After a few weeks or months of fines arriving in peoples postboxes all over the country, you can be pretty sure that we'd see a complete change in driving habits as hitting a driver in the pocket is the most painful thing to happen, not even mentioning the penalty points that would rack up fairly quickly.

In an ideal world, average speed cameras all over the place would be great too but I think that is for another thread.

But the idea of the Gardai is to uphold the law, not hide and watch people break the law and just send them a fine later. They are usually positioned in accident blackspot areas to reduce the risk of serious accidents. What good is it if there is a camouflaged speedvan hidden in the bushes and a serious accident happens 50 meters down the road? So someone can stand up in court and confirm to the surviving relatives that speed was a factor in the accident and by the way here's a fine for €100
    You either think speed is dangerous and want to reduce it, or you just want to fine everyone who goes faster than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Esel wrote: »
    highdef wrote: »
    That's what It assumed what was meant... You can be caught from the front (travelling towards the camera) or from the rear (travelling away from the camera).

Eh, these two statements are not equal. You may be caught travelling in either direction alright, but only so long as your car is visible from the rear of the van, i.e. travelling towards the rear doors from behind, or travelling away from them having come from the front of the van and passed it. You can not be caught while your car is basically in front of the van, as the radra apparatus is rear-facing, but can measure traffic both going towards and away from the van.

So the next time you see such a van and are approaching it from the rear, flooring it once you're passed is probably pretty low risk for being caught, unless they decided to set up another one up the road with that as a decoy/lure!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is this a GoSafe van/Speed Camera Van/Garda Traffic Van?
    Apologies for the quality of the stills.
    Church Road, Killiney.

4ntMKid.jpg

iUHtyhi.jpg

It's the most concealed one I've seen.

WeoeGVT.png

Just like the old days when they used to lie under bushes or stand behind bridge pillars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Sign says "Garda Traffic Corps". Well hidden indeed.

Yes, so they still operate their own cameras?
    I thought I read somewhere here that they'd handed it all over to GoSafe?
    So, eh what kind of tolerances do the Garda usually apply (in a 60)? :)
    3/5/10 kph, 5%/10%. or having a bad day - 1kph ?

I going to go out on a limb here and say that's a little grey in terms of legality. It's part of someone's driveway and would constitute private property (Right?). I'm aware there is some construction going on there, for many years now, but I believe there was a case won in Waterford a few years ago regarding the Gardai's use of an individuals driveway on the Tramore Rd. Surely a Garda can only enter, and indeed block your property, if they have business with you at that address in pursuant to an investigation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I going to go out on a limb here and say that's a little grey in terms of legality. It's part of someone's driveway and would constitute private property. I'm aware there is some construction going on there, for many years now, but I believe there was a case won in Waterford a few years ago regarding the Gardai's use of an individuals driveway on the Tramore Rd.

They are outside the gate = public place, no grey area as this was held by the High Court in 1996.

I going to go out on a limb here and say that's a little grey in terms of legality. It's part of someone's driveway and would constitute private property (Right?). I'm aware there is some construction going on there, for many years now, but I believe there was a case won in Waterford a few years ago regarding the Gardai's use of an individuals driveway on the Tramore Rd. Surely a Garda can only enter, and indeed block your property, if they have business with you at that address in pursuant to an investigation?

Not sure of the case you mention, but have found GM228's earlier post on boards.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103514676&postcount=31

Anyways, if I get done for 63-64, then I'll pay and take the points rather than take a chance on the court route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

How far away can they now detect with a Go Safe van? I was approx 250m away. Lots of traffic on the road in front. I saw a flash and red light in the distance.
    I was doing 109 or 111 in a 100km/ph. Is that outside their leeway tolerance?

Nothing to be concerned about until you get a ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

How far away can they now detect with a Go Safe van? I was approx 250m away. Lots of traffic on the road in front. I saw a flash and red light in the distance.
    250M? That's well out of their range. The range has been discussed before in this thread. It's a lot shorter than most people think.

You've answered your own question. When you take a photo on your phone, can you see through objects? Likewise, remember your number plate is very close to the ground. In a row of parked cars, how easy, even if you are standing to the side, is it to see the license plate of a car a few cars back?

But, to answer your query, the detection and snap distance is roughly 2.5 times the width of the road you are travelling on. So, 50m at the longer tail end. And to add to the above, you have to be able to see the camera and there has to be nothing between you and them to take a photo. Unless Clark Kent is on duty, then you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Rebel Man

110km in 80km zone by a stationary speed van. Just penalty points and fine?? Afraid I’ll be done for dangerous driving. Thanks in advance.

Rebel Man wrote: »
    110km in 80km zone by a stationary speed van. Just penalty points and fine?? Afraid I’ll be done for dangerous driving. Thanks in advance.

Points and a fine.

That's all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Question,
    If you weren’t speeding but the guy in the van knew your car could he do you for speeding even if you weren’t ? I’m just curious. Can they give purpously false readings or is it all automated ?

• Advertisement

Operator does nothing. Fully automatic after set up.

Advertisement