Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debits from Non-Irish Accounts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Also a couple other differences I can thing of:

- With credit cards you will have to think of providing the new card details any time you get a new one.
    - While you can easily cancel a direct debit mandate on your end and prevent them from getting anymore money from you, you can not easily force them to erase your payment card details or prevent them from charging your card.
    - Payment card details can be stolen be a hacker or an employee and be used by a third party, whereas a DD mandate can't be used by anyone except Vodafone.

Having said that, assuming the poster trusts Vodafone, the payment card as a OK alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭ahbell

lehe8707 wrote: »
    Adding PTSB

Refusing to accept non-irish accounts
    Magnet Broadband (thanks to ceroc81)
    Meteor see http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057540834
    Sky see http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057539002
    Leap Card
    Eflow (M50 Toll Operator)

Accepting non-irish accounts online
    Greenstar
    IDMobile
    Revenue Commissioners
    Virgin Media (Broadband, TV, Home Phone)
    Liberty Insurance (Over the Phone)

Accepting non-irish accounts via paper mandate
    AIB credit card payments
    AIG Insurance
    Avantcard
    Bord Gais Energy as per http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...2&postcount=23
    Energia (new)
    Electric Ireland as per http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/20574...1#post95420759
    Irish water (required verbal confirmation, thanks to ceroc81)
    Laya Health Insurance (thanks to McGaggs) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...1&postcount=66
    Three
    TV License (AnPost)
    Ulster Bank Mortgages
    Virgin Media Mobile
    Zurich Insurance
    First Citizen Finance
    Permanent TSB Credit Card (Followup phone-call required)

Accepting non-irish accounts via customer service complaint
    GloHealth

Just looking at this list, I tried to sign up to iD Mobile with their half price sale on Bill Pay last night and it refused my German N26 IBAN. Wonder if they have changed something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

No it's not.

Direct Debit allows you certain rights (dispute, ease of refusal) that a debit card does not.

Vodafone will allow you SEPA direct debits if you request them in writing. You can get a form in a Vodafone store.

So I need to correct this, it looks like Vodafone does no longer allow non-irish accounts.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057767493

Once I have a final answer, I will complain to ComReg and CCPC (even if they won't do anything), it's amazing that years after SEPA came into effect companies still refuse to do the right things.

Wow, I wish I would live in Austria, their highest court just shut down an appeal of 2 company directors who were convicted of a crime of not allowing non Austrian accounts for several month and fined them 4000€ each (or 18 hours in jail).

I wish our Government would get the stones to write laws like that instead of our weak CCPC.

Some updates due to changes in some companies policies (marked red)

Sky see http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057539002
    Leap Card (1)

Greenstar
    Revenue Commissioners

AIB credit card payments
    AIG Insurance
    Avantcard
    Bord Gais Energy
    Energia (new)
    Electric Ireland
    First Citizen Finance
    IDMobile
    Flogas
    GloHealth (existing policies, does not do new business)
    Laya Health Insurance (thanks to McGaggs)
    Three
    TV License (AnPost) (3)
    Ulster Bank Mortgages
    Virgin Media Mobile
    Virgin Media (2) (Broadband, TV, Home Phone)
    Zurich Insurance

Currently Unclear
    Vodafone per http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057767493

Remarks
    (1) NTA/Leapcard has been found to be in structural breach of EU citizens rights with the EU commission currently investigating the issue.
    (2) While account can be entered online, credit control will call and request a written authorization which can be found on each bill.
    (3) AnPost no longer requires a copy of a bank account statement after the CCPC told them to stop doing so, mandate is now all that is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Magnet Broadband (thanks to ceroc81)
    It's worth noting that Magnet don't offer DD anymore (at least not to new customers).
    Payment Terms for Residential accounts from 1st May 2013 are 15 Days by Credit or Debit Card only.

Vodafone has just send me written confirmation that they now are using my non-irish bank account.

Was extremely hard to set up (several complaints, threads to go to Comreg etc.) but it now is set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Tow

Bank of Ireland do not allow Standing Orders to non ROI accounts. While the website it allows BICs and IBANs it would appear their back-end systems are still Sort Code and Account Number only.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tow wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland do not allow Standing Orders to non ROI accounts. While the website it allows BICs and IBANs it would appear their back-end systems are still Sort Code and Account Number only.

I complained about this in the past, but there is not much you can do from a legal perspective as standing orders are not covered by SEPA regulations (once-off electronic fund transfers are covered, but the CBI and the ECB both told me there is no requirement to allow recurring transfers).

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

I see here Idmobile is listed as accepting non irish DD online, this is not the case. Also got told on the phone they don't accept non-Irish DD at all. UPDATE: i was given wrong info as they do accept paper mandate, as stated in most recent posts.... In this day and age the confusion is alive and well!

• Advertisement

Bhangraman wrote: »
    I see here Idmobile is listed as accepting non irish DD online, this is not the case. Also got told on the phone they don't accept non-Irish DD at all. UPDATE: i was given wrong info as they do accept paper mandate, as stated in most recent posts.... In this day and age the confusion is alive and well!
    OK called today to change IBAN from Irish accounts t to German N26 account but the rep and her manager both firmly maintained that they only support Irish accounts. Anybody out there who managed to set this up?

Log a complaint and request a complaint number telling them that you require this as you will log a complaint with COMREG due to them violating their legal responsibilities.

I was with IDMobile for a while and paid my direct debit from a non-irish account so it's clearly possible.

Bhangraman wrote: »
    Any luck with waste companies? Getting started with Panda and first time they hear about SEPA it seems.

Panda just confirmed that they don't support transfer to Non-Irish accounts at present and that you have to pay your bill by card online in the meantime.
    They said they just started the process of upgrading their IT systems and the work should be complete in 2-3 months. I have flagged a reminder to follow-up with them after that timeframe.

Any luck with Panda lately reasoning with them so they accept non Irish accounts? Just switched to Panda Power and just like Panda waste, their online registration form does not accept non Irish IBAN...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lehe8707

UPDATING - Addition in BOLD

Leap Card (1)

Greenstar
    Revenue Commissioners

AIB credit card payments
    AIG Insurance
    Avantcard
    Bord Gais Energy
    Energia (new)
    Electric Ireland
    First Citizen Finance
    IDMobile
    Flogas
    Three
    TV License (AnPost) (3)
    Ulster Bank Mortgages
    Virgin Media Mobile
    Zurich Insurance
    Sky TV / Broadband (4)

Currently Unclear

Remarks
    (1) NTA/Leapcard has been found to be in structural breach of EU citizens rights with the EU commission currently investigating the issue.
    (2) While account can be entered online, credit control will call and request a written authorization which can be found on each bill.
    (3) AnPost no longer requires a copy of a bank account statement after the CCPC told them to stop doing so, mandate is now all that is needed.
    (4) After making a request on thread https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057539002

UPDATING - Addition in BOLD

Leap Card (1)

Greenstar
    Revenue Commissioners
    Panda Waste and Panda Power (Over the Phone)

AIB credit card payments
    AIG Insurance
    Avantcard
    Bord Gais Energy
    Energia (new)
    Electric Ireland
    First Citizen Finance
    IDMobile
    Flogas
    Three
    TV License (AnPost) (3)
    Ulster Bank Mortgages
    Virgin Media Mobile
    Zurich Insurance
    Sky TV / Broadband (4)

Currently Unclear

Remarks
    (4) After making a request on thread https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057539002

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Any update on this list of providers not accenting EU IBANs for direct debits?

Seems to be still problem, as per the N26 thread.

Leap card is now accepting direct debits online (doing 2 small credits to your account which you have to validate online)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I have an eir ddm, ready to be filled in for payments from Bunq, but I don't know the UMR or Creditor reference. On to the talk to eir section on boards, and rather than give me the details, the rep is getting themselves confused with the name of the bank after suggesting I don't online instead. Bunq isn't on their list, but Anglo and Irish Nationwide are...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Great thread, didn't know it existed.

You can add Irish Life Health to that list. Over email I was trying to get them to add N26 as an account for claims payment, and they accidentaly added it as the direct debit account for premium payment. A debit came out so it works, but I did get them to reverse it as it's all supposed to be done through work. So while in error, it was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Ulster Bank Mortgages DO NOT accept non Irish IBANS.

They wouldn't accept it online, over the phone or via paper direct debit mandate form.

I currently have a complaint lodged with them that they are "investigating"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

I got this email from Just Energy when I told them I am moving to N26:
    Thank you for contacting Just Energy.

I am afraid we cannot set up any Direct Debit payments from a bank registered outside of the Republic of Ireland so because of this I am afraid to say we cannot open up a new Direct Debit with the information you have provided us with.

I replied that this is contrary to EU regulation and they have to accept it. What information do I need to provide them to accept a Direct Debit?

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I got this email from Just Energy when I told them I am moving to N26:

I replied that this is contrary to EU regulation and they have to accept it. What information do I need to provide them to accept a Direct Debit?

A signed direct debit mandate (which would include your name and IBAN number). Nothing more.

If you did and they are refusing to establish the direct debit based on the country of your bank, they are in breach of the regulation.

Can Just Energy legally refuse a Direct Debit from Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

No.

But they are in a competitive marketplace. Find another provider who will accept non Irish bank accounts

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: no, but the problem is that ireland doesn’t have any decent regulator which would force them to follow the regulation. You can talk to the CCPC which is the designated regulator but they likely won’t be very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

No. Take it up as a complaint with them. Get a complaint reference number and ask them to state it's their final decision in writing.

Dardania wrote: »
    No.

But they are in a competitive marketplace. Find another provider who will accept non Irish bank accounts

Just Energy are ignoring my emails, I think I can pay via Debit Card though,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Tow

What information do I need to provide them to accept a Direct Debit?

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/paym/retpaym/undpaym/legasp/html/index.en.html

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coolclogher

I work for an Irish Company that is a Direct Debit Originator through an Irish Bank and we collect Direct Debits from accounts in Europe regularly, I think the issue may lie with the bank that these companies process's the DD's through

• Advertisement

I work for an Irish Company that is a Direct Debit Originator through an Irish Bank and we collect Direct Debits from accounts in Europe regularly, I think the issue may lie with the bank that these companies process's the DD's through

The banks are SEPA compliant, it would be too risky/expensive for them not to be.

The issue probably is that either the company collecting direct debits has an old payment IT system which can only process Irish bank details, or that simply they are unaware or don’t care about the regulation and don’t want to bother.

Advertisement