Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I took a drive around earlier, looking for places where tree damage to fibre is likely. There's going to be a good chunk of rural Westport without FTTH service on Tuesday by the looks of it. :(

yep and fixing FTTH is not a quick fix, especially if its an individuals fibre, rather than the main fibre line which extends along roads. The main fibre line on our road is protected in places near tree trunks, but that still wouldn't save the fibre if a tree fell etc.

If anyone loses their fibre connection they are looking at 1 to 2 weeks without service while new appointments are made to install the connection from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Jezz09 wrote: »
    I have since looked up the NBP and planned eir rollouts and my address is not being included at all, despite how close I am to these existing lines. Could any company be convinced to install the required lines? Could this service be contracted privately? Thanks

It's passing outside my gate but Openeir have said I'm not included in the 100k so, no I can't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

I took a drive around earlier, looking for places where tree damage to fibre is likely. There's going to be a good chunk of rural Westport without FTTH service on Tuesday by the looks of it. :(

We're waiting for our install, live just outside Westport. Really glad they didn't install it before the storm lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

Im wondering what does this D badge mean on the poles out my road, its appeared on a few recently, seems to be mostly the poles covered in ivy?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

jgbyr wrote: »
    It's passing outside my gate but Openeir have said I'm not included in the 100k so, no I can't get it.

Same here, and passing a load of houses even closer than me, which wont be connected either. Houses literally 10m back from where the fibre is running. Its madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

AidenL wrote: »
    Im wondering what does this D badge mean on the poles out my road, its appeared on a few recently, seems to be mostly the poles covered in ivy?

Pole is defective and needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Eldrew

Hi All

KN gut came out last week to connect us up but couldnt get the cable through to the pole from the house as he said it might be blocked or there might be a junction box?
    He didnt hang about but suggested we sort out the blockage/or find this junction box (I've no idea where this could be) or alternatively we cut the top of the trees that are between the house and the road and they will run the cable from the pole to the house.
    Has anyone else got this done and do they do a neat job? KN guy didnt seem too keen and said its a big ugly cable?
    Do eir or KN offer a service to unblock the pipe and/or find this junction box? I dont really want to dig the garden up.

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ED E wrote: »
    Or the old willow beside it that pulls the cabling down as it falls.

OE dont normally hit storm mode until late Dec/Early Jan but there's a good chance it'll be all hands from Monday.

37048475673_10414a2cf0_c.jpg
    This tends to be the norm around here ... :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Eldrew wrote: »
    Hi All

KN gut came out last week to connect us up but couldnt get the cable through to the pole from the house as he said it might be blocked or there might be a junction box?
    He didnt hang about but suggested we sort out the blockage/or find this junction box (I've no idea where this could be) or alternatively we cut the top of the trees that are between the house and the road and they will run the cable from the pole to the house.
    Has anyone else got this done and do they do a neat job? KN guy didnt seem too keen and said its a big ugly cable?
    Do eir or KN offer a service to unblock the pipe and/or find this junction box? I dont really want to dig the garden up.

Thanks for your help
    KN won't help you in anyway your gona have to do the work yourself I had to do this now this storm on the way.The second install this friday just hoping it go ahead have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

My brother was installed with ftth last Tuesday. His connection failed for no apparent reason at teatime this evening. See my post from lat Tuesday 10th. Living just about 200m away my ffth connection is still active. I hope that I will have ftth tomorrow as it undergoes its biggest test from Hurricane Ophelia. I am starting to understand why they don't like bringing in too much fiber cable into the house. If this drop cable gets damaged the whole cable from the dp unit (black splice box) to the ONT will have to be replaced. I was told that by the technician the installed my connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Eldrew

rob808 wrote: »
    KN won't help you in anyway your gona have to do the work yourself I had to do this now this storm on the way.The second install this friday just hoping it go ahead have to wait and see.

Thanks for your reply. If KN or Eir won't sort the cable issue I'll have to go with the over head cable. Any downside to this?

Thanks

Eldrew wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. If KN or Eir won't sort the cable issue I'll have to go with the over head cable. Any downside to this?

Thanks
    The weather I would say like the storm today other than that it would be a easy install than digging and put down a duct.I had no choice but do that im a 100 meters from the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

The weather I would say like the storm today other than that it would be a easy install than digging and put down a duct.I had no choice but do that im a 100 meters from the road.

Will be interesting to see how this storm will affect the fibre networks and also how much the repair work after todays storm will affect the 300K rollout.

Would also be interesting to see if the Eir or SIRO network holds up best after today.

digiman wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how this storm will affect the fibre networks and also how much the repair work after todays storm will affect the 300K rollout.

Would also be interesting to see if the Eir or SIRO network holds up best after today.

SIRO is mostly ran along surface of buildings or underground.

OpenEIR FTTH is on the poles .. and so far, from the outage notices, there's a couple 100 offline in Mallow and Douglas.

The ESB is busy, too.

37060981463_ae10671706_c.jpg
    Meaning .. no power .. no broadband.

It's so bad, the power check map keeps crashing, as the ESB es exceeding their map usage quota.

/M

Ok .. add Carrigaline to that.

/M

My new ftth connection was working until I lost power around 90 minutes prior to writing this post. I hope it Will work whenever I get power back either this evening or tomorrow morning.

My new ftth connection was working until I lost power around 90 minutes prior to writing this post. I hope it Will work whenever I get power back either this evening or tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sorry for being off-topic: My phone line has come off the top of it's pole on my property and is now blowing around quite a bit and is now low over the road to the point I think the daily milk truck might well snag it tomorrow. Cars should get under ok.

I am with SKY for BB and phone. They are unmanned today so I can't report this to them. Is there anyone else I could report this to?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

cnocbui wrote: »
    Sorry for being off-topic: My phone line has come off the top of it's pole on my property and is now blowing around quite a bit and is now low over the road to the point I think the daily milk truck might well snag it tomorrow. Cars should get under ok.

I am with SKY for BB and phone. They are unmanned today so I can't report this to them. Is there anyone else I could report this to?

Eir Dangerous Plant are responsible. 1850 245 424

• Registered Users Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

ED E wrote: »
    Eir Dangerous Plant are responsible. 1850 245 424

Thank you very much. It's now reported.

• Advertisement

Jpmarn wrote: »

My power came back and my ftth connection is up. Sorry for the double post when I posted through a mobile network when my mains was down. The ftth passed the wind storm test.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Drove around today looking at the damage, saw only one pole knocked over into a field carrying both fibre and copper, the pole wasn't one of those marked defective. All the new poles stood up to the storm including some older ones.

The Cush wrote: »
    Drove around today looking at the damage, saw only one pole knocked over into a field carrying both fibre and copper, the pole wasn't one of those marked defective. All the new poles stood up to the storm including some older ones.
    It's very rare for high winds to blow down a pole, it's usually trees falling on the lines that pulls over nearby poles.

It's very rare for high winds to blow down a pole, it's usually trees falling on the lines that pulls over nearby poles.

In this case no trees in the vicinity of this or nearby poles

My install tomorrow it all set and ready for the kn crew.I looking forward to go from 4mb to 150mb im going with the voip for my phone :).

In this case no trees in the vicinity of this or nearby poles
    Ground must have been very weak to allow the pole to fall.
    Assuming something didn't crash into it of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

My install tomorrow it all set and ready for the kn crew.I looking forward to go from 4mb to 150mb im going with the voip for my phone :).

OP - your wait is nearly over!
    Delighted for you!!

What ducting did you go with?

Ground must have been very weak to allow the pole to fall.

When they were marking poles in the area last year the person doing the job said one of the reasons the poles would be marked defective is the depth it went into the ground below a notch on the pole. If the notch was a too high a.g.l. then it wasn't deep enough into the ground, I guess this is one that was missed.

• Advertisement

What ducting did you go with?
    I just went with normal ducting it a straight run there should be no problems this time around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement