Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expressions you love

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I really like "... like there's no tomorrow."

Such a lovely phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Like a lawnmower :pac:
    or Like a chainsaw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

I'll be there!

There should be a Boards Naynagh-Show Beers

I'll try to spot the mod !
    sligojoek wrote: »
    I wasn't at that show since I was about 15. Is anyone going to that music festival the week after. I was half thinking of going down

This? Just noticed that it's STRICTLY OVER 18

http://www.nenagh.ie/events/details/lilys-happy-days-festival

Back on topic:

I'm going for the messages - really annoyed the American bro in law !

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

osarusan wrote: »
    Shitehawk

A sad loss to the Irish vernacular.

That's one I use daily :pac:

My favourite is "If I'd a garden full of mickies I wouldn't let her look over the wall"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

It's far from your ar5e you won't sit on it, my nana's reply to complaints of injury when we were kids.

That'll put a halt to your gallop.
    (again my nana .. To everything from injury to pregnancy)

There's always an ar5e or an elbow on you.
    (said to someone who complains a lot.. again my nana .. )

Neither a borrower nor lender be...

Fool me once, shame on you
    Fool me twice, shame on me.

I've loads more, when I remember them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Like a lawnmower :pac:

Up the middle and down the sides

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I doubt it, said Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I gave her a shot under the tail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

He was as drunk as forty cats

"You and whose army?" My favourite retort in secondary school when somebody would threaten to "hammer ten shades of shîte out of you". And it was always the midget fúckers - one with gelled spiky hair like Howard Jones and fast legs springs to mind! - who'd come out with the best retorts because they were so small they knew you couldn't really beat them into next week in good conscience

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

One of my grandfather's ( a witty Dub) If brains were gunpowder he wouldn't have enough to blow his hat off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

That fella's so nosy, he'd look into yer mouth to see what yer eating.

Am spitting feathers.. (for a cup of tea or a drink)

Are you coming or going?

Let that tea draw.. - my mother never stopped shouting that at us when we were growing up :D

Related to this one, e'er, no idea how to spell it, pronounced air anyway
    "Have you air a dog?"
    Anyone else no it and what it actually means?
    E'er (air): Ne'er (nare) = Any : None

- Have you e'er a dog youssir? [Do you have any dog, my gentleman friend?]
    - ne'er a dog youssir, declare unto God [Upon my oath, good sir, I have no dog]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Ger, do you remember a saying around Nebnagh years ago?

Heard, (pronounced Hurd) I will.

You might be thinking of something like the following which is an actual conversation I remember from Nenagh CBS in the early 80s:

Seamus: Johnny, I hear you like The Clash.
    Johnny: Heard I didn't !! (i.e. I do like said band very much)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"Jaysus, the smoke would blind you." = Has anybody got a fag?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

When you catch someone trying to fool or get one over on you : I didnt come down on the bus from Cavan

jprboy wrote: »
    You might be thinking of something like the following which is an actual conversation I remember from Nenagh CBS in the early 80s:

Seamus: Johnny, I hear you like The Clash.
    Johnny: Heard I didn't !! (i.e. I do like said band very much)
    yeah, It worked both ways.

Do you want a pint?
    Heard I don't. (Of course I want a f*ckin pint)

CBS 80s I got out of there with my life in '81.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

When I'm feeling sorry for myself, I still think of a quote my mother would use. " I cried because I had no shoes, until I saw a man who had no feet"

E'er (air): Ne'er (nare) = Any : None

- Have you e'er a dog youssir? [Do you have any dog, my gentleman friend?]
    - ne'er a dog youssir, declare unto God [Upon my oath, good sir, I have no dog]
    Joe Duffy: A ne'er do well robbed me walleh.

One evening I was going into Nenagh for a few pints. I'd fallen off a motorbike the day before and was still wearing the torn jeans with the oilstains.

My father took a look at me and said, "Have you ne'er a better britches than that to put on you".

Another one of his was, "Turn down that scutterin' wireless. I can't hear me ears." That phrase was coined the night 2FM came on air for the first time.

Some of my many favourite expressions from the Irish:

There's no geeks nor meeks out of him (said by my mother-in-law a couple of hours ago about the sleeping little leanbh in the pram), sometimes just shortened to 'There's no geeks out of him' (straight from the Irish, 'Níl gíog ná míog as')

They were walking out with each other for many's the day (Bhídís ag siúl amach le chéile le fada an lá). Older people in Connacht would still describe a couple doing a line with each other/going steady/courting in English as 'walking out with each other'.

Love the "in it" structure. Is it yourself that's in it/There were two of them in it, etc. Again, straight from the Irish Tusa atá ann/Bhí beirt acu ann, etc.

The entire "on you/her/him" etc structure to convey:

1. visual features - e.g. He has a fine head of hair on him, 'Bhí cúl breá gruaige air', etc, but of course when describing somebody's hair we describe them as a 'Fear Rua' (literally Red man in English), Buachaill bán (literally 'white boy' in English), fear liath (literally grey man in English), etc because there is obviously no need to mention hair as it's understood that you cannot be a red man, grey man, etc and that bán in this context means 'fair-haired' as it would be pointless to describe somebody's skin as white when everybody has the same skin colour. (A black-skinned person in Irish is 'duine gorm', blue person - because 'Fear Dubh' was obviously booked long ago by the devil! - while a white-skinned person in Irish is 'duine geal', not 'duine bán' which would, as you now know, mean a fair-haired person!)

2. emotion. Lovely ways to describe somebody as being sad 'Bhí brón uirthi' (She was sad; literally 'There was sadness on her') or 'Bhí sí faoi bhrón' (She felt sad; literally 'She was under sadness'), Bhíodh áthas air (He used to be happy, literally 'There used to be happiness on him') Tháinig gruaim air (He became sad/gloomy; literally sadness/gloominess came on him) again conveys the weight of the emotion and the way emotions come on you.

So many more...

• Advertisement

Did you hear John Ryan is "Great with" Mary Kelly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Who lit the fuse on her tampon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

"who pissed in your cornflakes ?" Mr M has a wealth of great Irish expressions. I hear that one occasionally when my morning grumpiness is severe. I secretly like it but I can't let on, 'cos I'm grumpy.

He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    or The lights are on, but there's nobody home.

Here in co Waterford I hear a lot of people using "with" for duration, as in : "he's been here with a week". Or something like that. I like it, I think I've been told it's local anyway, and it's so wrong yet I hear many people, even youngsters using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Did you hear John Ryan is "Great with" Mary Kelly?

I heard they were 'stepping out' and doing a 'great line' they also say if she's looking for a 'trip up to the alter' she'll be waiting 'til the cows come home' as he's 'tipping' four times widow Teasie the tasty temptress, who as luck would have it entertains her gentlemen callers in the privacy of her parlour, so Mary Kelly will never find out. Rumour has it Mary Kelly is 'barking up the wrong tree' looking for husband material in John Ryan as the whole parish knows he been 'firing blanks' for years.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

"who pissed in your cornflakes ?" Mr M has a wealth of great Irish expressions. I hear that one occasionally when my morning grumpiness is severe. I secretly like it but I can't let on, 'cos I'm grumpy.

He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    or The lights are on, but there's nobody home.

Here in co Waterford I hear a lot of people using "with" for duration, as in : "he's been here with a week". Or something like that. I like it, I think I've been told it's local anyway, and it's so wrong yet I hear many people, even youngsters using it.

That's directly from Irish where 'le bliana' is literally 'with years' and means 'for years'. I've only ever heard it from Munster people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

8a643cb3aadf15ebd59ee90bc48b929142e010af

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

"Well the curse of f**k down on ya". When someone/something does something against you or you're really pissed off at them.

Some of my many favourite expressions from the Irish:

There's no geeks nor meeks out of him (said by my mother-in-law a couple of hours ago about the sleeping little leanbh in the pram), sometimes just shortened to 'There's no geeks out of him' (straight from the Irish, 'Níl gíog ná míog as')
    'Miog' is one I haven't heard in years!

My siblings and I were often told, growing up, that we weren't to let a miog/mig out of us, which seems to be a similar literal translation from the Irish, ná lig míog asaibh.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭kyeev

If a neighbour was described as "looking very shook", said neighbour would be dead within the week.

A few other ones:
    It was like herding cats.
    As sure as I'm standing here.
    God blast ya.
    Oh Diabhal (Irish for devil).
    Look at the cut of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

I actually use quite a lot of these sayings. Two more...

"Gone like a fart in the wind"

"Betwixt and between it all"

Advertisement