Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Doom VR & Fallout VR, along with everything else, it looks like the PSVR is starting to really become a worthwhile investment?

Think I'm going to make the investment. Is it still janky though? I know Giant Bomb were saying they never fixed the tracking properly and it's still dodgy as fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Doom VR & Fallout VR, along with everything else, it looks like the PSVR is starting to really become a worthwhile investment?

Fallout vr not coming to psvr ,hopefully we will get it in the future

Are there any decent bundles anywhere with moves, camera included?

EDIT: Just ordered one with a camera and Farpoint, not clear if it comes with the gun. I need a set of move controllers though, where's the best place to get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Are there any decent bundles anywhere with moves, camera included?

Not moves unfortunately, but the ShopTo deal for €400 delivered to Ireland was good.

PSVR / Camera / Farpoint game / VR Worlds game

http://www.shopto.net/video-games/ps4/PS4AC240-sony-playstation-vr-psvr

Don't know if they still have stock though, but worth a shot. Mine is arriving today/tomorrow.

EDIT: says "In Stock" so probably still good.

Got that same bundle from Littlewoods. Payed 449 for it. It surely comes with the gun?

• Advertisement

Got that same bundle from Littlewoods. Payed 449 for it. It surely comes with the gun?

I honestly don't know. If it does I'll cream myself.

I don't think it does though :(

If Farpoint is without the aim controller you can sell it in CEX for €37 in vouchers.

Then buy 2 used Move controllers for €40

https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SP3MCON001

I'd prefer a new set of controllers though, don't generally go 2nd hand on controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Morshlac

mrcheez wrote: »
    If Farpoint is without the aim controller you can sell it in CEX for €37 in vouchers.

Then buy 2 used Move controllers for €40

https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SP3MCON001
    This is quite clever. Might do that....was thinking I don't think much point to Farpoint without the gun.
    And good point on shopto possibly going out of stock...after some pain on website just ordered mine!
    where we're going we won't need roads.....

I'll just buy the damn gun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Doge

Varik wrote: »
    Coupler would be the cheapest option for ease of access from the front but a hdmi switch would only cost a tiny bit more and work at the press of a button.

Swtich has to be HDMI 2.0 or higher, and it's easy to find a compatible one as half the reviews will mention the issue with the PRO and these working.
    You got ther just before me!

How exactly would you set up the cables with the switch? I have a hard time visualising it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Doge wrote: »
    You got ther just before me!

How exactly would you set up the cables with the switch? I have a hard time visualising it.

PS4 to switch

Switch to TV

Switch to VR box to TV

Hit a button and change channel, if you'd have a HDR tv it's likley smart enough to know which input is being used.

Not suggesting this particular one as I've not looked into it, but have a look at the reviews. There's a lot of people with this issue using them to fix it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010B4L968/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i2?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B010B4L968&pd_rd_r=YSEG11XQ3C3RVB3748W0&pd_rd_w=MHzKq&pd_rd_wg=wwUJc&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=C0SCH8H2E6T92TYMT6XX&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=16f14aeb-bd11-4e9e-8c26-9ca0139074ee&pf_rd_i=desktop

Personally looking to get a matrix now as I want to be able to swap around between 3 PC monitors and a 4K TV without messing with cables. But getting a 2.0+ HDMI matrix is expensive most are 1.3/1.4 now unlike the switch which is 2.0.

I'll just buy the damn gun too.

I don't think you can buy it without Farpoint... anyone else know?

VR headset package has just arrived from ShopTo!

Headset box looked opened, but the actual contents appears to be unused (wrapping still on headset etc, and sellotape on clear plastic bags holding wires appears to be intact).

Odd... going to send them a mail about it anyway.

For games, the VR headset comes with a demo disc which is a nice bonus (I thought they stopped shipping with the demo disc) as it has a load of games like Battlezone, Eve Valkyrie, Rez Infinite, Job Simulator etc etc... so lots to keep you occupied apart from the 2 retail games.

Farpoint is indeed game only.. no aim controller as expected.

Comes in one box, so Parcel Wizard is an option if anyone wants to save an extra bit more rather than getting delivered to Ireland.

VR headset package has just arrived from ShopTo!

Headset box looked opened, but the actual contents appears to be unused (wrapping still on headset etc, and sellotape on clear plastic bags holding wires appears to be intact).

Odd... going to send them a mail about it anyway.

For games, the VR headset comes with a demo disc which is a nice bonus (I thought they stopped shipping with the demo disc) as it has a load of games like Battlezone, Eve Valkyrie, Rez Infinite, Job Simulator etc etc... so lots to keep you occupied apart from the 2 retail games.

Farpoint is indeed game only.. no aim controller as expected.

Comes in one box, so Parcel Wizard is an option if anyone wants to save an extra bit more rather than getting delivered to Ireland.

Protip: download the Demo Disc from the US PSN store if you have a US account.

There's far more demos on that one. The only thing about the demo disk is loading times are long though, maybe it's compressed.

Quick question about putting the headset on, to expand the strap do I just press the button at the back while pulling it?

Don't want to pull too hard and at first glance I couldn't see anything in the instructions about expanding the strap.

Let us know you're impressions

Quick question about putting the headset on, to expand the strap do I just press the button at the back while pulling it?

Don't want to pull too hard and at first glance I couldn't see anything in the instructions about expanding the strap.

Yes press the button at the back firmly and pull, also don't forget to pull back the visor prior to putting the headset on.

And when it's on your head move the headset vertical to find the sweet spot. Text shouldn't look blurry on it, if it's blurry then you're not in the sweet spot.

Also if your forehead is hot or sweaty the lenses can fog up, just give them a clean with the cloth provided and you'll be good to go.

And ENJOY :D Best gaming experience I have had since first playing Mario 64

Let us know you're impressions

All depends if I can get it home on the bike tonight!

Tomorrow I've got a gig, then Friday/Weekend I'm away, then next week I'm getting an operation on my elbow and will be out of commission for a few weeks gaming-wise.

FFS perfect timing!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You'll find a way!

Managed to get it home last night and set it up. Despite the box being opened it looks like everything was new, so it may have accidentally opened at some point in the warehouse packing process.

Took a while to set it up as I had to bastardise my neatly-positioned PS4 Slim in the AV unit and add all the extra wires/boxes/power cords; squeezing my arm in through the narrow slots... yeesh.
    My once-neat PS4 system is now a mish mash of wires and cables.

Reminded me of the SEGA CD add-on and what it did to for Megadrive setup

By the time I got it all working (midnight!) and configured the eye distance etc, I tested out a 3D BluRay I already had in the drive: Tron Legacy.

In Medium size screen mode you really do feel like you are in a cinema, but the 3D wasn't up to much vs my native Samsung 3D TV which is pretty superb in comparison.

Then tried Wolfenstein New Order on Medium size. Superb! I actually flinched when getting shot at, so I'll definitely be using the PSVR to play 2D games going forward.

Lastly put in an actual VR game: Farpoint. Have to say the gameplay is smooth with the DS4 controller. My first experience of full immersion was during the start sequence where you are in the ship and I looked directly behind me, saw my silhouette. When I moved my head the silhouette also moved precisely.

Then getting out of the ship once you land on the planet, my first instinct was to bend down to examine the rocks, then look up at the huge volcanic eruption. Felt like you were there far more than any other FPS I've ever played. Bringing the controller up to your face and you can examine the details on the gun itself.

Playing the game with the DS4 is fine. Accuracy might be a little harder to get than with the aim controller, but I assume that's just practice required on my part. Overall it's a superb experience... and the spiders jumping at your face is really horrific. Flinched every time. Made me determined to kill the bastards before they could attack, so I guess it is effective in that respect.

Some issues I encountered though...

- While playing the game standing up I started to noticeably sway, so I reckon I won't be playing any VR standing up.

- I did start to get a bit of motion-sickness after about an hour of play, but switching the turning to "jump" mode seemed to ease this up a bit

- The resolution is a LOT lower than I recall from the demo I tried, dare I say it's closer to 480p? But I'm not that bothered as I understand this is 2nd-gen VR so I'm sure in coming years this will improve.

So overall, very happy with my purchase and I'm going to hang onto Farpoint and complete it with the DS4, then sell the game in CEX and rebuy the bundle with the gun later when it drops in price.

Great news about the DS4 over the gun. Was hoping it would be ok. When you said you started to sway, was it you that it was happening to or more the tracking screwing up?

Great news about the DS4 over the gun. Was hoping it would be ok. When you said you started to sway, was it you that it was happening to or more the tracking screwing up?

Just me.. my physical body was swaying to what I was seeing on screen as I roamed around the planet. Any more and I might have face-planted into the TV.

It might also have been to do with the fact it was 1am

Tracking has no problems whatsoever. It's very tight.

But can you shoot yourself with the DS4

Interesting. Stay seated!

I tried one about 6 months ago at a friends house and noticed the controller in game that was in your hand would shake and float away. Also noticed that in the Until Dawn shooter that the guns werent quite where they should be relative to your hands. Has all that been fixed since then?

Interesting. Stay seated!

YMMV, it could just be me. A reddit thread seems to suggest standing lowers the motion sickness, so I will give it another shot whenever I can get to play again (a few weeks away!)

I was seated playing farpoint with the gun, didn't get motion sick but did get a flash of vertigo when I fell in game (walk up a rock that I wasn't meant to fell back to the ground).

And they just keep coming!

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    I was seated playing farpoint with the gun, didn't get motion sick but did get a flash of vertigo when I fell in game (walk up a rock that I wasn't meant to fell back to the ground).

What movement settings were u using?

Found the smooth setting gave me most issues

Advertisement