Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Tipo launch date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 5 door doesn't look as bad today as it did 15 years ago.

IMG_0006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I remember watching the original launch of the Bravo/Brava in 1996 in Ireland on Live at 3 with Derek Davis. It looked a great car back then.

True story

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I remember the first ads for the bravo/brava. They had the internet on them.

Music was 2:1 by Elastica, which was also on the Trainspotting soundtrack

This is a later one from 97

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xidin7_publicite-fiat-bravo-et-brava-elastica-2-1-1997_auto

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Pity the stilo was such a bad car guy I worked with bought one in 02 I bought a punto sporting at the same time with the same 1.2 engines.He had so much trouble with his he ended up getting his money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

ba_barabus wrote: »
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    The stilo was pretty groundbreaking at launch in terms of equipment to be fair. They reduced the level of equipment after though.
    A 3 door stilo in the right colour still looks modern today.

OH they looked great and to me drove very well even with the 1.2 16v with the 6 speed box. 5 Dr looked a bit ****e though. IIRC the electrics were worse than ****e.I'd still love a yellow 2 door.

I'm driving a 2003 one for the last three years. I swear to God, the thing is immortal. It won't die, drives well and runs on fumes. Happy days! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I remember watching the original launch of the Bravo/Brava in 1996 in Ireland on Live at 3 with Derek Davis. It looked a great car back then.

True story

Jaysus, you just be over 80 now and able to post on the Internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

ofcork wrote: »
    Pity the stilo was such a bad car guy I worked with bought one in 02 I bought a punto sporting at the same time with the same 1.2 engines.He had so much trouble with his he ended up getting his money back.

He must have just been unlucky and got a Monday car. How was your Punto? The sporting was a great little one very nippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭kmb

The 5 door doesn't look as bad today as it did 15 years ago.

IMG_0006.jpg

I had the 2003 the same colour etc but with the panoramic roof and over 3years only had to change 1 x Wishbone and yearly servicing.
    It reported 43 mpg via the stalk controls.
    It never broke, stopped etc.
    I always wondered how many people were aware of the hot/cold box (depending on your AC settings) which was placed above the glove box!!
    The rear sliding seat was also useful for large items in the boot.
    I only changed it as I picked up a 2008 Bravo sport 150 as a 1 1/2 year old demo for €12,500 less the 3K for my stilo.
    The new price was over €27,500.It had 15,000 km on it.
    I love hearing the "the man down the pub" stories as it makes Fiat very cheap to purchase after a year.
    By the way when was the last time a Stilo/Bravo 2007+ post was on Boards?
    I realise that they are not sold in vast quantities but surely there would be something?
    I know we had at least one Fiat 500 but was there many since?
    As for reliability I bet the VW fanboys would secretly happily swop for Fiat with all the VW horror stories posted here!!! :D

The Tipo saloon version is due shortly id say.
    By the way, what is the usual delivery etc charges for new cars?

AMKC wrote: »
    He must have just been unlucky and got a Monday car. How was your Punto? The sporting was a great little one very nippy.

The sporting was nippy alright too many niggles though back in the garage 10 times at least.

Mine weren't new punto in 98 and sporting in 02 and alot of issues with both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    My two FIAT's were bulletproof, plus if they do go wrong parts for them are cheap :)

I've had three Fiats. My Punto and Stilo were / are very good. The Grande Punto I had wasn't good. Tonnes of niggley faults, plus it was the only Fiat I've had that actually broke down. The older Mk2 Punto was way way better.

From memory a HSX model Brava in 2001 was £12500. A comfort line 1.4 Golf at the time was around £20k
    Have a price list somewhere

The likes of a real deal 171 focus & a 4k off pulsar look really reasonable in price 16 years on.

The pulsar, I'd have that over a tipo too :)

I paid 9895 in 98 for a punto 60 sx with alloys the sporting was around 16k in 02.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Seems to be quite a bit of anti fiat on this thread.
    I hope they do well and all the fiats we had were bulletproof cars.

I can only go by my own experience would like to see fiat doing well maybe a Lazarus type comeback a la Renault.

I'm far from anti-Fiat being an Alfa owner but the Stilo had many issues which held it back. I'm sure there were many happy owners, I'm not suggesting that they all gave issues, but there were certainly more lemons than there should have been. And given I started the thread I'd love to see the Tipo succeed. There are a lot of people reading and commenting who are only too pleased to be outraged it would seem.

The stilo was launched in 02 how many are around compared to focus corolla golf tells it all.

My initial impression over a 4 day rental was positive, come the time to give it back I was less enthused.
    Looking at prices etc compared to the pulsar, Octavia and focus and much more it has its work cut out.

It's a budget offering priced quite steeply in diesel guise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

The Stilo was a massive commercial failure for the brand. It is probably one of the key reasons why FIAT went nearly bankrupt and sells a fraction of the volume it used to.

Nobody wants an Italian car that wants to be German. It is a lesson that Citroen would also learn similarly with the C5.

I saw on facebook the sedan is going to be available here now, €16500 for the 1.4 petrol. That's more like it to be fair. No sign of any mention of the saloon on the Fiat.ie site yet though.

When I first saw the new Tipo I was in Portugal, it looked a fine bus for what it was. My main gripe with the one I had in Italy was the diesel was crude as feck. If the 1.4 petrol is anyway acceptable a car that size for €16500 would appeal to many for a family car in the suburbs.

A 1.2 TSi 90bhp Skoda Rapid Active is €18450. The Seat Toledo starts at €18k.
    Renault fluence will cost you €21k (diesel I think).

A Nissan Pulsar can be got for €17k with the €4k scrappage but the petrol Tipo saloon looks well priced to be fair.

• Advertisement

I imagine the 1.4 will be fairly dead power wise unless they are sticking the t-jet in it?

I wonder what the 1.4 is like in the real work or how would the diesel compare back to back against a Duster. I'll be honest and say I see it in the sane light as the Duster. It a pity it's priced so high in top spec diesel form. I assume they'll be heavily discounted price wise.

bear1 wrote: »
    I imagine the 1.4 will be fairly dead power wise unless they are sticking the t-jet in it?

It's not the t jet.
    95bhp, 12.3 to 60 and 110mph top speed.

No worse than most petrols of that size to be fair, but fairly dead.

Augeo wrote: »
    It's not the t jet.
    95bhp, 12.3 to 60 and 110mph top speed.

No worse than most petrols of that size to be fair, but fairly dead.

Suppose it will do fine as a city car.
    Pity they didn't stick the t-jet in, gem of an engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DerekM1974

bear1 wrote:
    Suppose it will do fine as a city car. Pity they didn't stick the t-jet in, gem of an engine.

The 1.4 120hp engine is a T-jet. Available @ €1250 over the 1.4 95hp engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Augeo wrote: »
    I saw on facebook the sedan is going to be available here now, €16500 for the 1.4 petrol. That's more like it to be fair. No sign of any mention of the saloon on the Fiat.ie site yet though.

When I first saw the new Tipo I was in Portugal, it looked a fine bus for what it was. My main gripe with the one I had in Italy was the diesel was crude as feck. If the 1.4 petrol is anyway acceptable a car that size for €16500 would appeal to many for a family car in the suburbs.

A 1.2 TSi 90bhp Skoda Rapid Active is €18450. The Seat Toledo starts at €18k.

A Nissan Pulsar can be got for €17k with the €4k scrappage but the petrol Tipo saloon looks well priced to be fair.

That has been replace by the much better looking Megane Grand Coupe. I know silly name but it is a lovely looking saloon in fact I think its the best looking new Megane.

I also want to see FIAT do well with the new Tipo as I think its a nice looking car and the saloon too but they might have to do discounting and other offers if they want the car to sell well as well as advertise it loads. Have to say the add on the TV is catchy.

AMKC wrote: »

That has been replace by the much better looking Megane Grand Coupe.........

The new Megane looks great, the 130bhp petrol in the entry models looks quite decent on paper.

DerekM1974 wrote: »
    The 1.4 120hp engine is a T-jet. Available @ €1250 over the 1.4 95hp engine.

So the t-jet is coming to Ireland and will cost 1250e more than the N/A 1.4?
    Bet people still won't bother with the turbo version.

If the facebook €16.5 Tipo saloon thing I saw is accurate than a 1.4 t jet saloon would be under €18k.

That's wouldn't be bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭cena

So who is going to buy one of these cars.

Advertisement