Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

claytonie wrote: »
    Was in Fisherstown, Co. Kildare yesterday and all the phone poles had blue PVC subduct run to them. Fisherstown on the map is completely made of blue lines and is due for Winter 2016.
    Was feeling a bit envious as I'm based in Kildangan (due H2 2017) but this morning a KN networks van arrived and they have just pulled the subduct through to my phone pole.
    Was speaking with the guys as they were just using a shovel to dig down to access the existing duct and they are currently going around the country (were in Kiltegan last week) trying to pull subduct on any poles where they can which don't require machinery to be used. If for any reason machinery is needed its sent back to the planners to allocate a different team but this can delay things a couple of months depending on the additional work required.
    Interesting thing is the blue line on http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ for our road extends about 1km down the road but on the plans the guys doing the ducting have they only go 500m.
    It's possible that the remaining 500m is strung along the poles rather than in ducting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TechSupport

I posted this in another thread too:

Ref: Allenwood South, Co. Kildare:

Trees are cut, poles are up, blue fibre three way protective ducting is in underground, Fibre run through the ducting to the poles with coils hanging down and passive optical splitter boxes installed on new poles.

Both KNN and Eir are back today to do more work. I was told by a friend that even with everything in place they still have to wait two months to enable the FTTH, I believe to allow other companies to sell it to end users.

Fibre going as far as Lullymore on Rathdangan Road and Carbury on Clane-Edenderry Road.

They started digging in Allenwood South about 3-4 weeks ago and put in new manholes. One of the ducts along the canal was blocked so they said they would need permission to open the road from Kildare County Council and that might take a while. They were back out within a few days and dug it up, so everything is full steam head.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's possible that the remaining 500m is strung along the poles rather than in ducting.

its the same story here, the ducting stops about 350 meters from my home, the rest of it will be strung on poles. The ducting doesn't always go all the way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I posted this in another thread too:

Ref: Allenwood South, Co. Kildare:

They started digging in Allenwood South about 3-4 weeks ago and put in new manholes. One of the ducts along the canal was blocked so they said they would need permission to open the road from Kildare County Council and that might take a while. They were back out within a few days and dug it up, so everything is full steam head.

Things may appear to be full steam ahead but then it can stop for months. All the action started here 6 months ago with the ducting and they have only been here one day since. Still waiting to be wired up. Once they start on area they don't keep going till it's all ready. there can be a huge gap between stages of development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I don't see much work going on in my exchange area, Inch St Lawernce Co. Limerick. This exchange is down for rollout of the ftth winter 16/ Spring 17. There is a marked blue line as seen on Openeir map passing my property. There are barcodes on the poles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭grouchyman

My exchange is due for FTTH rollout Winter16/Spring17 and at the moment the Fibrerollout map is showing a Blue Balloon (Fibre Service Planned). Anyways checked my number on Eir and got this message :-

Although your area is enabled for eir Fibre broadband, it hasn't reached your address yet. Please fill out your details below and one of our team will be in touch when it's available.

Anybody got any ideas as to how Eir can say that the area is enabled for eir Fibre, when no work has been carried out on the exchange? Could it be that the Exchange is actually done but the Fibre isn't strung between the poles yet? Incidentally is there anyway to tell the difference between Fibre and Copper cable when you're looking up at it

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its telling you there's FTTC somewhere in the exchange boundary. Thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭grouchyman

ED E wrote: »
    Its telling you there's FTTC somewhere in the exchange boundary. Thats all.

Thanks ED E. I'm too far out from the exchange for FTTC to make any difference, I'll be waiting for FTTH. There is a smaller blue balloon as well for the exchange on the openeir map which says that FTTC is planned but no dates are given. I kind of assumed that FTTC would be overtaken by FTTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

On a blue line, FTTH listed for H2 2017.

A couple of months ago all the poles on the OH route feeding our house were barcoded and those that were leaning or showing rot were also given the red D. Today, KN arrived and installed a pipe between two poles where the cable went UG to pass under ESB lines. The pipe has a draw string in it, but looks quite small. I presume this is to facilitate the installation of the fiber cable.

tD6QcRW.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Falcon L wrote: »

A couple of months ago all the poles on the OH route feeding our house were barcoded and those that were leaning or showing rot were also given the red D. Today, KN arrived and installed a pipe between two poles where the cable went UG to pass under ESB lines. The pipe has a draw string in it, but looks quite small. I presume this is to facilitate the installation of the fiber cable.

tD6QcRW.jpg

Yeah it is ducting. If it is similar to the ducting I have seen elsewhere it will have "Eircom Fibre Optic 20/16" on it. The 20/16 is the outside/inside diameter in mm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Yeah it is ducting. If it is similar to the ducting I have seen elsewhere it will have "Eircom Fibre Optic 20/16" on it. The 20/16 is the outside/inside diameter in mm.

OK off I go to read the duct. :)

Edit: Yup, that's what it says alright.

Just in relation to the ducting issue. My house is on a blue line with a Winter/spring date. It is actually the last house on the line. We live on basically a lane off a regional road.

The line to my house originally was overground all the way but about ten years ago Eircom put a span between two poles underground due to three massive trees.

Anyway about a month ago KN I presume came to the area doing their ducting work as above. Unfortunately I missed them but I could see where they had dug at each pole. However when Eircom did the original work they only intalled a plastic pipe that was slightly larger than the copper cable inside it. KN had no way of pushing their ducting through. So they filled in their holes and left. I have not seen them since.

My fear now is that my little lane will be abandoned. They would probably have do dig about 30M to install ducting to enable fibre for two houses. I can see it being left for the NBP.

It's never easy is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jakes26

Hi All ,

I just noticed on the Fibre Rollout Map that Youghal , Co. Cork has a Go-Live date of 28-SEP for what looks like Rural FTTH.
    This might be a indication that things are starting to move....

Jakes26 wrote: »
    Hi All ,

I just noticed on the Fibre Rollout Map that Youghal , Co. Cork has a Go-Live date of 28-SEP for what looks like Rural FTTH.
    This might be a indication that things are starting to move....

Three areas due to go live tomorrow:

Athboy, Meath
    Ballyfarnan, Roscommon
    Youghal, Cork

OK off I go to read the duct. :)

Edit: Yup, that's what it says alright.

They must have ordered it before the rebrand to Eir!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

@Navi who's got legal ownership of the lane, you or the coco or you + next door? If I were you Id be fixing to make things easy for them.

ED E wrote: »
    @Navi who's got legal ownership of the lane, you or the coco or you + next door? If I were you Id be fixing to make things easy for them.

It is the coco. The thought had occurred to me to do it myself but it would probably be illegal and I don't even know if they would accept work done by an unknown third party. It is also complicated by a drain running along the path of the ducting. Funnily enough Eircom managed to smash part of the drain when they did the previous work and the council had to come and repair it.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

I picked this sheet up from the ploughing. The numbers seem to indicate what will be connected via FTTH rather than FTTC as exchanges such as Ballygarret are not down for FTTC and would not have that many people around a cab/exchange but if you look at the size of the blue line area for Ballygarret on the ftth map, it could well have 1297 premises. Many of those exchanges were not announced during the first 100,000 announcement but are due for 2017-2020 and have the number of premises beside them!! I only have the sheet for wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I wonder where one could find other such maps on line .......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭long_b

@navi from what I've been reading sounds like they have been doing the "low hanging fruit" work first and the rest of it may be being scheduled as a different work order, perhaps a more hard core digging crew?

• Advertisement

long_b wrote: »
    @navi from what I've been reading sounds like they have been doing the "low hanging fruit" work first and the rest of it may be being scheduled as a different work order, perhaps a more hard core digging crew?

That is my hope too. This is where it would be reassuring to have some access to Openeir or KN. I'll just have to wait and see.

Edit: There is also the chance that they may pull the fibre through the existing copper duct. It is hard to know how much room there is in it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

long_b wrote: »
    YMCA comes to mind lol

pegasus1 wrote: »
    YMCA comes to mind lol

Young man, I don't care what they wear as long as they do my ducting.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭stuck2007

Just putting a status update on another one of the FTTH towns, was passing through Hospital, Co. Limerick yesterday, noticed KN Networks and Eir doing some ground works. They had a stop go system in place and looked to be digging a hole for what looked to be a rectangular manhole? Checking the Fibre rollout map it says for Hospital "Estimated date for first Live Fibre Services is Winter 2016. Estimated date for first Live FTTH Fibre Services with speeds up to 1000Mb/s is H2'2017", so I'm not sure if it is for FTTC or FTTH it was about 800m from Hospital in the Mitchelstown direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Just in relation to the ducting issue. My house is on a blue line with a Winter/spring date. It is actually the last house on the line. We live on basically a lane off a regional road.

The line to my house originally was overground all the way but about ten years ago Eircom put a span between two poles underground due to three massive trees.

Anyway about a month ago KN I presume came to the area doing their ducting work as above. Unfortunately I missed them but I could see where they had dug at each pole. However when Eircom did the original work they only intalled a plastic pipe that was slightly larger than the copper cable inside it. KN had no way of pushing their ducting through. So they filled in their holes and left. I have not seen them since.

My fear now is that my little lane will be abandoned. They would probably have do dig about 30M to install ducting to enable fibre for two houses. I can see it being left for the NBP.

It's never easy is it?
    Im the same as you my pole inside my property and I have ducting as my line goes underground from the pole.I don't mind if they pull out the copper and put in the Fibre.I have yet to see anybody from open eir I'm down for winter 16/Spring 17 and other people that are H2017 seeing open eir doing pole marking are seem strange.

rob808 wrote: »
    Im the same as you my pole inside my property and I have ducting as my line goes underground from the pole.I don't mind if they pull out the copper and put in the Fibre.I have yet to see anybody from open eir I'm down for winter 16/Spring 17 and other people that are H2017 seeing open eir doing pole marking are seem strange.

Yeah it was KNN but all they have done is mark the poles with D's and do a bit of ducting. I haven't seen them in over a month. Hopefully they can sort your premises out without too much trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Saw an eir van with guys fiddling with a few poles down the road. Some poles have gained the legendary D plate and one got some other kind of marker or something.

UCfEImd.jpg

Openeir published their weekly update of premises today. There is no mention of any FTTH connections. I wonder is it that the three areas did not go live today or perhaps they are not going to publish premises numbers for rural FTTH.

http://www.openeir.ie/Techbytes/open-eir-brings-high-speed-broadband-to-more-than-1001-additional-premises-nationwide/

JohnC. wrote: »
    Saw an eir van with guys fiddling with a few poles down the road. Some poles have gained the legendary D plate and one got some other kind of marker or something.

UCfEImd.jpg

Do you mean the plastic tape? Could be a loose foothold on the pole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Openeir published their weekly update of premises today. There is no mention of any FTTH connections. I wonder is is that the three areas did not go live today or perhaps they are not going to publish premises numbers for rural FTTH.

http://www.openeir.ie/Techbytes/open-eir-brings-high-speed-broadband-to-more-than-1001-additional-premises-nationwide/

FTTH was officially launched on 16th .... I wonder how many premises applied for connection and have been connected since .......

http://www.openeir.ie/news/FTTH_programme_officially_launched/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement