Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AR/tist in the spotlight - AuldManKing

Options
  • 18-02-2014 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Introducing for a limited time only, the quiet, shy, and reserved Baron of Boards and Lord of Logs, AuldManKing (AMK).

AMK's quest for a certain sub 3 marathon can be found in his "Agony Aunt" log, "the main thing is keeping the main thing the main thing"!

Please be gentle in your questioning/interrogation of this gentle soul :)

Let's get ready to rumble!

TbL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

lovely stuff ;)

6968.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Thank you TBl (.......tBL or is it tbL)

Much appreciate your ability to twist my arm for this, really looking forward to it.......no, really.

Bring on the questions - I'll do my best for daily answers, but really there's nothing substantial going on with me or my opinions. So I guess I'll be done by Thursday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

How long have you been running?
    What made you start?
    Any sport in your youth?
    How did you discover this forum?
    Best performance (not necessarily PB, but race where everything went right)
    Worst performance
    Favourite race?
    Bucket list race?
    Have you ever run track?
    Cross country?
    Why haven't you joined a club yet? ;)
    Are your kids sporty? Why haven't you signed them up for a club yet? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

what is this seemingly fabulous job you have that lets you run at all and any hour of the day ?
    What does the fox say ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Injury history?
    PB history?
    Favourite place to run?
    Running solo or running with a group?
    Worst vice?
    What was the trigger that make you have a schizophrenic episode and transform from the feckless rogue that was the runningking to auldmanking?
    Is the runningking totally dead or could he make a come back?
    Favourite race distance?
    If you manage to run sub 3 hours in April will you knock marathons on the head on press on and try get faster?
    Where are you originally from?
    McDonalds or Burger king?
    Will you run the next beer mile?

• Advertisement

Thanks for getting this started Ray.
      [*]How long have you been running?
      My Garmin data starts in July '11 :) - so maybe 6-7 months before that.
      I did do a bit in school, back when it was all in black and white.

[*]What made you start?
      Wanted to keep fit for 5 A-Side football.
      I was always fairly fit and liked the thoughts of running, loved watching athlethics, just never found the right time to prioritise it above other things.

[*]Any sport in your youth?
      Played Soccer for Tolka Rovers and GAA for a club called Inisfails up at Belcamp.
      Ran 100m sprints in school for many years and always went last leg in the relay, not 'cos I was faster, just 'cos I loved the adulation :):)
      Went to community games etc while in school.

Also done cross country with the school - it was a harder one to gauge if I was any good at it - Looking back on it - I was always near the top end with little training for it.
      But no one told me I was good at it in school so I just kinda stopped.

[*]How did you discover this forum?
      I think I was looking up something for a training plan and came across it.
      Either that or it was looking up information for the Frank Duffy 10 mile race (my 1st ever race)

[*]Best performance (not necessarily PB, but race where everything went right)
      Dunboyne 5m race last year (May I think) - loved that race, ran it in 30:30 which was a big PB - but everything went well for me - felt great throughout and really made me realise that I could be quite useful at this lark.

The 10m in Dungarvan recently is a close 2nd for similar reasons.

[*]Worst performance
      K-Club 10k a few weeks before the 5 miler in Dunboyne last year.
      I had it geared up as goal race to break 40 mins for the 10k, but a work trip and probably too much pressure on my self told its own tale and I pulled up after 2-3 miles and thought about DNF'ing - but jumped back in and jogged around to finish.

[*]Favourite race?
      DCM
      Dungarvan 10m
      Frank Duffy 10 mile
      Beer mile

[*]Bucket list race?
      I've no real desire to do a 'major' marathon, but I'd love a marathon with as many Boardsies as possible, away from Ireland. But not one that has you getting up at stupid o'clock.

[*]Have you ever run track?
      Only in school, but I have some desires to revisit this.
      I heard about a guy (from MSB) who ran in the indoors recently and got a medal for the masters 800's - think he ran 2:10.
      I feel with training I could be competitive with that !

[*]Cross country?

Only in school. No real desire except to strenghten the legs as part of early season training. Might do some next year if I'm not doing a spring marathon.

[*]Why haven't you joined a club yet? ;)
      That old chestnut!

Been asked a few times and was all ready to join in Jan this year, but felt that it would be better to focus on the BAA plan that I'm following and after the marathon in April, then join.

One thing that puts me off joining a club is the pi$$ing contests that take place when training at a certain pace.
      Does this do more harm than good??

[*]Are your kids sporty? Why haven't you signed them up for a club yet?

Yep - both are sporty.
      The older one joined Donore last year, but suffers from Osgood Schlatters, so had to make a choice between GAA football, Camoige and Running. Running lost out for now, but she's quite good at it and I can see her revisiting it.

The younger one does it in school and is always on the sprint team and the cross country team. She does a lot of Irish Dancing and is very good and competitive at that, so I see her doing more with the dancing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Will you go sub 3 before Meno?

Do you think running tights flatter you?

Have you ever been banned from the weather forum?

Do you actually know who Newbyrunner and Newbygirl are?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Favourite racing distance?

Boardsie that you would most like to beat in a race?

Dream times that you would like to achieve for the distances that you currently race?
      What do you think you would have to do to achieve them?

If you had to be mentored/coached by a Boardsie for a year then who would you pick from the following list: TRR, Krusty_Clown, Stazza, T Runner, Tunguska, or Ecoli. And Why?

Who would you prefer to get chicked by: Claralara, Marthastew or Career Move?

Best running advice that you have received to date?

What will be the "main thing" after Manchester?

Smarties or M&Ms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Hi AMK

- is it true you always had a secret nun fetish and by dressing up as one for the beer mile you were in fact fulfilling a life long dream?

- how proud are you to be the man slut of the athletics forum?

- what will you do when your eldest daughter tells you she has a boyfriend?

- if you haven't done it already how and when will you explain about "the birds and the bees" to your girls?

- if you could live anybody's life who would you choose

This set of questions from your friendly RoadRunner
        [*]Injury history?

ITB injury before DCM 12 hampered my last 5-6 weeks, but didn't flare up on the day.
        Calf injury before DCM 13 meant I didn't run it.

Apart from that, no injuries.

[*]PB history?

5K: 18:11 (Jingle Bells '13)
        5m: 30:30 (Dunboyne '13)
        10k: 38:4x (Maynooth '13)
        10m: 62:39 (Dungarvan '14)
        HM: 1:27:xx (Athlone '13)
        Mar: 3:23 (DCM '12)

[*]Favourite place to run?

Travel a bit with work so ran in a lot of different places around Europe, Asia & US.
        Hands down winner though is the Phoenix Park. Always ceases to amaze me what I see when i run there or a trail I haven't ran before.

[*]Running solo or running with a group?

Good question - done a lot of my running solo, but the more memorable runs are always with company. The social side of running is very underrated!
        So - 'with a group' is my answer.

[*]Worst vice?

too much Red Wine at the weekends!
        Sugar (I've a sweet tooth) - which I'm trying to reduce
        Never smoked in my life.

[*]What was the trigger that make you have a schizophrenic episode and transform from the feckless rogue that was the runningking to auldmanking?

I always hated the name RK - I can remember introducing myself to every Boardsie and I always squirmmed while saying 'I'm RunningKing' - 'cos I'm obviously not!!.

I can recall meeting KC/TRR/Dr Q for the 1st time and its just not right for me to be calling myself RunningKing in their presence!!
        But was the same with all my introductions - hated the name.
        The name came from a dinner conversation with my daughters....so I'm blaming them!

The trigger was the break I had while injured in Oct/Nov - not posting for a while, the break seemed natural and I decided to change.

This also came with a different mindset on my part. I watched DCM '13 as a spectator and the sight of the athlethes finishing in great times made me want it even more.
        Seeing CL so focused and strong as she finished, getting her well deserved sub 3 is a real motivator for me.

I also really wanted to stop the $hite that went along with my last log - self inflicted $hite I might add. Where I failed in a few sessions or done them totally wrong (running HM pace rather than MP etc).

I think it was a bit of a vicious circle rather than the virtuous circle that I'm in now!!

[*]Is the runningking totally dead or could he make a come back?

That guy is dead.....gone. and i dont think Ecoli would let me bring him back.
        Plus I like AMK - he's a good guy.

[*]Favourite race distance?

10 mile race. Just feel its the perfect distance - fast enough, just not eyeballs out fast.

[*]If you manage to run sub 3 hours in April will you knock marathons on the head on press on and try get faster?

I'll try to get faster!!
        As I was running the 10m in Dungarvan, I was thinking wouldn't it be good to have this pace (6:14) as my marathon pace, eventually (sub 2:45 Marathon).

I might spend Summer racing shorter distances but I do think I'll do DCM '14. Wont do Spring Marathon next year but will do one most years.

[*]Where are you originally from?

From Ballymun - the posh part as we lived in a house :)

[*]McDonalds or Burger king?

Mcdonalds - just for the coffee.

[*]Will you run the next beer mile?

This is an interesting question.

2 thoughts:

(1) Last beer mile the taxi home cost me €60 - I wont be repeating this.

(2) With the recent nek-nomination stuff going on, it got me thinking of how different/similar a beer mile is to this stuff.
        Not too sure I want my kids knowing I'm doing it with all this stuff going on with social media.

That said, I really enjoyed it last year - was a great social event.

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
        what is this seemingly fabulous job you have that lets you run at all and any hour of the day ?
        What does the fox say ?

(1) "Fabulous Job"

Its actually more of a great set of bosses.
        They get there $$ value out of me as I do work a lot, due to WW nature, there's meetings at all different times, so I have an agreement with my mgmt team to have flexibility around where I work (home or the office) & when I work (If I want to take a couple of hours off during the day, thats ok once theres no meetings being missed). Works a treat most of the time.

(2) What does the fox say?

I was at a Panto with my wife and kids in the Tivoli this year. At the end of the Panto, some of the dads are called up on stage to do a silly dance.
        I got called up and positioned myself behind other guys, but Alan Hughes noticed what I was doing and called it out to the crowd and brought me front and center of the stage.
        Then we 'danced' to 'What did the fox say' :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

What do you will be your biggest obstacle to hitting sub 3 in Manchester

Considering your career, any tips for Cheltenham

Most memorable running moment

Least memorable running moment

Are you another dipstick that wouldn't quit running for €250k???

Do I need to even mention that Digger sent these Q's in :)

[*]Will you go sub 3 before Meno?

meno & I will both go sub 3 in the same month (I'll be 1 week earlier)

[*]Do you think running tights flatter you?
          These are the most underrated piece of kit in any mans bag.
          The yellow ones especially flatter me.

[*]Have you ever been banned from the weather forum?

I've lived in the mentality that the 'Training Logs' forum was the only thing on Boards. My eyes have been opened recently.

[*]Do you actually know who Newbyrunner and Newbygirl are?
          Are they 2 people....really......
          I have my suspicions, but I can categorically say that its not me (either of them)

Gavlor wrote: »
          What do you will be your biggest obstacle to hitting sub 3 in Manchester

Considering your career, any tips for Cheltenham

Most memorable running moment

Least memorable running moment

Are you another dipstick that wouldn't quit running for €250k???

Forgot to ask if you are Jewish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

• Sub 35:00 10K or sub 2:50 marathon?
          • Typical breakfast?
          • Typical lunch?
          • Typical evening meal?
          • Average hours sleep a night?
          • Sun is out, t-shirt weather, you have a 5 mile recovery run to do in the Phoenix Park. What route do you choose?
          • Any mantras/mind-games you call up when the going gets tough?
          • Last meal the night before a marathon, a glass of wine or just stick to water?
          • Sirloin Steak or Monkfish fillet?
          • 2 big farm dogs barking at you up ahead on a country road, do you turn around or proceed fearlessly?

Thank you sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

[*]Is the runningking totally dead or could he make a come back?

That guy is dead.....gone. and i dont think Ecoli would let me bring him back.
          Plus I like AMK - he's a good guy.

Your damn right, RK was a lunatic when came to training, AMK is just a lunatic (we can deal with that :P)

What was so bad about tRR's training that made you jump ship? :D
          If you could win any gold medal in Rio which would it be?
          Favourite Session?
          Least favourite session?
          Best bit of running advice ever recieved?
          If you were a mod for the day, what would be your first action?
          Is blockic really your son?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Any interesting facts you can tell us about yourself?
          Why Spurs?
          Favourite film?
          Favourite Beer?
          Ever see yourself running an ultra?
          Ever see yourself competing in sprints on the track?

Thanks for the questions Dazza.
            [*]Favourite racing distance?

10 miles, by a errr.... mile

[*]Boardsie that you would most like to beat in a race?

Myself and Blockic had a bet that we'd race a 5k and but it wopuld be a handicap system with me getting 1.5 secs per year age difference.
            I'd say where we both are now, it be a close run thing.

And Gavlor. Just because.

[*]Dream times that you would like to achieve for the distances that you currently race?
            I wont list all distances but the 3 that stand out for me are:

5k: Sub 17
            HM: 1:19
            Mar:2:44

[*]What do you think you would have to do to achieve them?

Training plans of Krusty like proportions.

[*]If you had to be mentored/coached by a Boardsie for a year then who would you pick from the following list: TRR, Krusty_Clown, Stazza, T Runner, Tunguska, or Ecoli. And Why?

I think each of them would bring me on no end.

But I've done some work with TRR before and I like his methods, his style and his approach to plans & recovery.
            I was only under his guidance for a short while as I got injured (happened before his term started - let it be known) - but I developed a hell of a lot and learned more.

I'd say the more sensible AMK is done in a large part to TRR's guidance.

I'd also like EColi's sessions, reading some of the reports from his 'students' I'd say I could benefit from the short stuff with him.
            Although I don't think I could hack the midnight runs though :)

[*]Who would you prefer to get chicked by: Claralara, Marthastew or Career Move?
            I've been beaten by CL in Athlone and by CM at the KClub last year when I nearly DNF'd, so I guess I'd let MS chick me as long as she as in lycra & I was 5 yards behind and thinking of her buns. :pac:

[*]Best running advice that you have received to date?

I recall an exchange on boards with Raycun (I think) a few years ago, I was looking for 'the secret' that all new runners look for, 'the shortcut'.
            And his answer was something about consistency, more mileage and hard work.

Also - "The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing"

[*]What will be the "main thing" after Manchester?

Great question, I've been thinking of that. I dont actually know :confused:

[*]Smarties or M&Ms?

Smarties all day long.

Q's from CM, our favourite jockey!

- is it true you always had a secret nun fetish and by dressing up as one for the beer mile you were in fact fulfilling a life long dream?

The fetish was being chased by Krusty up the home straight ;)

hhhmmmmm......not too sure how to answer this one. :confused:

- what will you do when your eldest daughter tells you she has a boyfriend?

That poor lad has a lot to live up too, when she ever finds a bloke thats even half the man her dad is, then he'll be ok.

- if you haven't done it already how and when will you explain about "the birds and the bees" to your girls?

My God - I grew up with 3 sisters and no brothers, now I've 2 daughters and a bitch dog.
            The conversations in my house are amazing - my sisters would never tell my dad ANY of the things that my girls talk to me about.

Had the conversation with 1 of them and the other is due the conversation soon. But by God, theres nothing sacred right now.

I'm dreading this years sun holiday with them.

- if you could live anybody's life who would you choose?

What an interesting question.

It wouldn't be a famous person or a sports person.
            I'd like to be a philanthropist with a bucket load of money who goes around helping charities or businesses - spending my week investigating who I'd give the money too, then starting all over again each Monday.

From the comedian of Boards (& next weeks ar/tist)

[*]What do you will be your biggest obstacle to hitting sub 3 in Manchester

My head. Seriously. & maybe the weather :)

[*]Considering your career, any tips for Cheltenham

I'm sorry young man, you must me confused with this guy.

[*]Most memorable running moment

(1) Chasing down 2 guys in the 5m race in Dunboyne - the last part is on a track and was a great sprint finish to catch the 2 of them.
              (2) Finally getting sub 40 in a 10k - wonderful afterglow.

[*]Least memorable running moment

(1) Finishing my 1st Marathon in 3:65 :) - disgusted with my performance.
              (2) Athlone HM last year - despite a PB (1.27) It was a God awful performance

[*]Are you another dipstick that wouldn't quit running for €250k???
              Damn right I wouldn't.

• Advertisement

Forgot to ask if you are Jewish

Sorry again - although there are similarities

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Favourite Irish athlete?
              Favourite international athlete?
              Favourite event to watch at an athletics meet?
              Least favourite session?
              Favourite race? (particular race, not distance)
              Why marathons?
              Favourite piece of music?

Sorry again - although there are similarities

How the hell did you find that?! And I was referring to your choice of football club.....

Btw, I'm busy next week. Manicure, pedicure etc

Great set of questions from Outforarun
                [*]Sub 35:00 10K or sub 2:50 marathon?
                I've went for both and deleted my answer each time.
                Think I'd be more proud of a 2:50 marathon, but the sub 35 would be harder I think??

[*]Typical breakfast?

I always have 2!
                1st thing in the morning - Bowl of porridge with milled seeds and honey.
                About 9ish - scrambled eggs.

[*]Typical lunch?
                [*]Typical evening meal?

These alternate depending if I'm in the office or at home.

Typically have a Salad each day with some form of meat or fish. I'm a big fan of Spinach recently, with Brie cheese, chopped pear, balsamic.

I'll also have a dish with rice or spuds.

I have 2 biggish meals each day as this training plan has gone on.

[*]Average hours sleep a night?

Not enough and its something I should have put on my recent SWOT. I'd love an extra hour or so, but get typically 6-7 hours a night - feel sorry reading about Ososlo's tribulations.

[*]Sun is out, t-shirt weather, you have a 5 mile recovery run to do in the Phoenix Park. What route do you choose?

Question of the day so far - well done.

2 answers as usual
                As its TShirt weather the route would include the Gardens down by Parkgate street and the monument - as the scenery would be 'attractive' :)

But the real route would be the Cricket grounds, Khyber, 15 acres, Military Road Upper Glen road, Furry Glen then the trail at the back of Mount Sackville.

[*]Any mantras/mind-games you call up when the going gets tough?

In Dungarvan I kept using the Ph park as a guide. "Only 1 more lap of the PP" - "just a run up & down chesterfield" - etc.
                Towards the end of a run for some reason I always think of my Dad (RIP) and ask him to keep me going.
                I'm sure he's looking down saying "what the hell are you doing out running, you daft pillock" :)

[*]Last meal the night before a marathon, a glass of wine or just stick to water?
                Always rice & chicken - easy to digest.
                Stick to water for a Marathon, but have been known to have wine/beer the night before other races (just the 1)

[*]Sirloin Steak or Monkfish fillet?

Monkfish if you can get a nice bit. Not a sirloin fan. Fillet or ribeye for me.

[*]2 big farm dogs barking at you up ahead on a country road, do you turn around or proceed fearlessly?

All depends if I have toilet roll with me.

How the hell did you find that?! And I was referring to your choice of football club.....

ha ha - given your other reference to AK - I was sure it was due to him!!

Never thought of Spurs :rolleyes:

Everyones favourite mod.........Ecoli

What was so bad about tRR's training that made you jump ship? :D
                $hit stirrer.
                The injury gave it a natural break point.
                I didn't want to assume that he'd keep the coaching going.

I may look for some coaching options for DCM though from Boards.

If you could win any gold medal in Rio which would it be?

Ferdinand??

:D

Always liked the 800 or the 1500. One of them.

Favourite Session?
                one I did recently was 3x(800/600/400/200) I really enjoyed. Although I think you cant run 400's or 200's at 5k pace - has to be faster.

I also like doing 20x200's at close to all out pace.

Least favourite session?

Mile repeats. but thats just a hangover from the RK days.
                AMK eats mile repeats for breakfast. (well actually he doesn't, he has porridge and then eggs as mentioned above) :D

Best bit of running advice ever recieved?

Mentioned earlier.

If you were a mod for the day, what would be your first action?

Post the ID's of Newbyrunner / Newbygirl
                Reinstate Dr Q to the weather forum.

Is blockic really your son?
                If his mother has dark hair and called Belinda, then its a possiblity :p

Q's from the man who gives a lot to Boards - Meno
                  [*]Any interesting facts you can tell us about yourself?
                  (1) scored a goal in Croke park - an overhead kick.
                  (2) Went for trials for Dublin GAA team (failed :( )
                  (3) Was possibly the only guy from Ballymun who didn't live with his girlfriend before we were married. :)
                  (4) Failed my driving test as I turned up with an out of date driving licence.

[*]Why Spurs?
                  In 1981/82 Spurs had a golden era, won the FA cup twice and played a really attractive brand of football, that has continued.
                  So I was about 9 back then and liked watching them.

[*]Favourite film?

Gran Tourino
                  Million Dollar Baby
                  Shawshank Redemption
                  Lord of the Rings

[*]Favourite Beer?

Guinness. But love to try other craft beers.
                  I'd never drink Guinness at home, but would nearly always have a few variants of different beers.

[*]Ever see yourself running an ultra?

I do. But would have to committ 100% to it and race the entire thing.

[*]Ever see yourself competing in sprints on the track?
                  The thought is growing on me.
                  I've also considered training for the mile next year. But not too sure yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

hhhmmmmm......not too sure how to answer this one. :confused:

Just to clarify I was referring to the fact that you are on everyone's boards love list twice. Not that you dress up in slutty clothes or something ;)

Just to clarify I was referring to the fact that you are on everyone's boards love list twice. Not that you dress up in slutty clothes or something ;)

Ha ha - I was racking my brains trying to think "on ho, what have I done now?".

Yes - actually - I am quite proud of that!!

• Advertisement
                • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Great choice!

Who would win in a fight Ecoli or Blockic?

Least favorite part of the PP to run in?

Best sun holiday destination with 2 daughters?

Most ridiculous Meno boxing opinion he has expressed to you on a long run?

Handicap 10k race boardsie race where the seeding is perfect so it really comes down to pure guts/ wanting it more( not running ability). Who wins?

Ireland winning the euros or Spurs winning the Champions League over Arsenal ( would actually never happen) which would make you happier?

What is the dumbest training session you've ever done?

Advertisement