Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blogin

Pangea wrote: »
    Has anyone found a manual way to fix the slow webpages/loading issue for older devices? Without the use of the app DN Set? I was reading up that if you set a static ip for the phone it may help. One of the phones in my household wasnt working well with the fibre, it can only use the 2.4g. I installed DN set as suggested on this forum, it works well now but the fact it says network activity monitored puts me off.

This guy claims he got it working without dnset.

https://community.eir.ie/broadband-25/slow-wifi-coming-from-the-f2000-router-292049

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

oleras wrote: »
    My order is stalled due to a lack of ports...

Considering this is a ftth installation and noone is even connected on the Patrickswell exchange.

Something dodge going on by making areas live on the map when reality they are not.

It's the lies that p1sses me off.

oleras can you check your premises on the DCCAE map? They have updated it with eir's claimed Q2 premises. It would be interesting to see if your home is dark blue meaning you should be live.

Also can anyone else who suffered the "allowed to order but not live" experience check also please?

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

oleras can you check your premises on the DCCAE map? They have updated it with eir's claimed Q2 premises. It would be interesting to see if your home is dark blue meaning you should be live.

Also can anyone else who suffered the "allowed to order but not live" experience check also please?

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

My home is dark blue on there, had the product sold to us by an agent, and eventually after numerous cancellations got full installation. The service still isn't working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

My home is in the BLUE area alright and I have no problem'ordering' FTTH with the providers available. I cancelled my original order with Eir, who kept maintaining it was live and ready to go when the evidence (or lack thereof) on the poles outside indicated otherwise.

There are some splice boxes in position now, but no other activity and no one I know getting connected. Since I can't prove that my defunct order is not being fulfilled, is there any point in emailing the address given? I'm reluctant to reinstate the order until I know it can be fulfilled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

RoYoBo wrote: »
    My home is in the BLUE area alright and I have no problem'ordering' FTTH with the providers available. I cancelled my original order with Eir, who kept maintaining it was live and ready to go when the evidence (or lack thereof) on the poles outside indicated otherwise.

There are some splice boxes in position now, but no other activity and no one I know getting connected. Since I can't prove that my defunct order is not being fulfilled, is there any point in emailing the address given? I'm reluctant to reinstate the order until I know it can be fulfilled.
    I would definitely email open eir they should be able to tell you if it live or not.

My home is dark blue on there, had the product sold to us by an agent, and eventually after numerous cancellations got full installation. The service still isn't working.

As in it has never worked? Surely it must be live if they actually installed.

RoYoBo wrote: »

If you mean emailing the Department to complain I don't imagine you'll get far. As Rob said probably best to contact Openeir to hopefully get a more definite date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

Do any of the FTTH providers offer actual unlimited data? Or any with more than 1TB limit. And are any of these national providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ricta

d31b0y wrote: »
    How many minutes? Vodafone used to do this but the number of minutes assigned was higher than the number of minutes in a month.

eir Talk Unlimited Mobile & UK
    different minutes again, this is with the 150Mbps bundle

As in it has never worked? Surely it must be live if they actually installed.

KN engineer told us after finishing the installation yesterday that there was a problem with the ports and it would take up to a week to get sorted. I'm not sure why they would finish the installation if this is the case but that's what we were told.

We're now completely without phone or Internet since this morning because of this, it's pretty frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Fibre rolling out in my area at the moment, had a first look at the aerial cabling being installed

UND1534 manufactured by Acome in France
    Single-mode fibre G652D (N8228A)
    36 Fibres (3x12)
    O.D. 8.3mm

Can anyone with FTTH installed identify the 2 strand fibre drop-cable used from pole to ODP, suspect it might be UNB1629 or UNB1630

DSC_0039.jpg

Disassembled an offcut of the cable

untitled1.jpg

Outer sheath on the left
    2 fibre tubes (blue & green)
    3 strands of Aramid yarn as strength member
    1 fibre tube (orange) followed by the 12 strands of fibre from that tube, coloured - turquoise, violet, orange, brown, red, blue, pink, grey, black, yellow, green, white

http://www.acome.fr/index.php/en/Telecoms2/Telecoms-and-Infrastructures-Networks/Products-and-Systems/Optical-FTTH-access-network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We have our very own Clouseau it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

rob808 wrote: »
    I would definitely email open eir they should be able to tell you if it live or not.
    If you mean emailing the Department to complain I don't imagine you'll get far. As Rob said probably best to contact Openeir to hopefully get a more definite date.

Yes, I have emailed OpenEir and they've said November is the best estimate. It's only Eir and the other sellers that are telling me I can get it now because the map says yes and my Eircode and number both pass.

Resigned to waiting now, but I hate all the lies and subterfuge ...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The Cush wrote: »
    ...the 12 strands of fibre from that tube, coloured - turquoise, violet, orange, brown, red, blue, pink, grey, black, yellow, green, white

/fibre nerd mode

Strictly speaking: blue, orange, green, brown, slate, white, red, black, yellow, violet, rose, and aqua. The fibres are numbered 1-12 in that order, as are the loose tubes they're in. So the blue tube contains fibres 1-12, the orange contains 13-24, and the green contains 25-36.

You can see how this approach allows easy identification of up to 144 fibres in a single cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Does that mean one of the cables that you see on the road has a capacity of 144 users?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blogin

The mobile broadband seems to have got a lot slower in the last few months in my area. This could be as more people switch to the same provider.

Or possibly related to ftth going live in our exchange a few months back ? Do the mobile masts feed back into the exchange and now have to contend with more traffic as a result of ftth users using more traffic ?

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Does that mean one of the cables that you see on the road has a capacity of 144 users?
    It's not that simple. Some cables have a single fibre per customer; others have fibres that feed splitters, each of which will feed multiple customers. There are also different numbers of fibres in different cables.
    Blogin wrote: »
    The mobile broadband seems to have got a lot slower in the last few months in my area. This could be as more people switch to the same provider.

Or possibly related to ftth going live in our exchange a few months back ? Do the mobile masts feed back into the exchange and now have to contend with more traffic as a result of ftth users using more traffic ?
    Mobile masts have their own backhaul networks. Mobile networks don't contend with fixed line traffic.

If your mobile network has slowed down, it's probably because of people using their mobile devices and dongles for more and more data-intensive applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭iioklo

vintagevrs wrote: »

The cable openEir is using along the roads has only 36 Fiber's, however that cable company manufacturers a cable with 144 Fiber's, each fiber in the cable can be split up to 32 times, depends on the amount of houses at a DP (black box on pole or in manhole). Eir are using a combination of 8 way splitter box's and 4 way splitter box's to acheive the 32:1 spit. 1152 (36 x 32) potential connections per fiber route. However from what I have read in this thread they are only using 24 of the fiber's and the other 12 will be used to extend out further when the NBP is activated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Yes, I am dark blue.

The reps here keep mentioning that there isnt a port available in the cabinet or exchange.

can anyone who knows how this is wired up on the eir side explain if ports are used for FTTH ?

• Advertisement

Yes, I am dark blue.

The reps here keep mentioning that there isnt a port available in the cabinet or exchange.

can anyone who knows how this is wired up on the eir side explain if ports are used for FTTH ?

I've only heard about ports in the context of the DPs on poles or in manholes. Each DP has a number of ports, and each port is assigned to an eircode at design stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ricta

Can anyone with FTTH installed identify the 2 strand fibre drop-cable used from pole to ODP, suspect it might be UNB1629 or UNB1630

On mine is "3m outdoor optical drop cable (KFRP) 2c/sm 00470m" it crosses road from pole to pole then underground through duct.

What about the Fibre Patch Cable that connects the ODP to ONT, are there any markings on it. I think it is SC-APC to SC-APC Simplex Single Mode type lead. Would be usefull to know as people could order a longer patch lead to move the ONT closer to the Router, I've seen installations where Fibre is located far away from router location, and a Fibre link might be better than the Cat5e/6 cable they use to link the ONT to Router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

iioklo wrote: »
    and a Fibre link might be better than the Cat5e/6 cable they use to link the ONT to Router.

Nope, not in a domestic setting.

Remember also that the fibre patch cable isn't "yours" or even "the ISP's"; it's open eir's. The ONT is the demarcation point between open eir and the ISP, even if that ISP is eir retail.

By way of analogy, if you don't use the ISP-supplied router but supply your own instead, it can complicate things when it comes to troubleshooting with the ISP. Equally, if you use your own fibre patch instead of the open eir-supplied one, it introduces a layer of complication that you might regret later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

would it be possible to skip the ont and plug the fibre directly into your own sfp module? obviously not going to do this but just out of interest?

• Advertisement

would it be possible to skip the ont and plug the fibre directly into your own sfp module? obviously not going to do this but just out of interest?

Nope. The ONT is an active PON client - the downstream signal is encrypted to each specific ONT. Part of the installation involves "pairing" the ONT to the OLT so that it can join the network.

Even if you had a PON-capable SFP, you wouldn't be able to configure it to join the network.

Yes, I am dark blue.

I saw your thread in the eir forum. It seems like the rep doesn't have an answer so is reverting to an answer that makes more sense in a FTTC network that may be live for several years. Obviously there is finite capacity in each OLT in the exchange but they most likely have built the network with extra capacity looking forward to the NBP and even if not how likely is it that your exchange could be full so soon after going live?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Strictly speaking: blue, orange, green, brown, slate, white, red, black, yellow, violet, rose, and aqua. The fibres are numbered 1-12 in that order, as are the loose tubes they're in. So the blue tube contains fibres 1-12, the orange contains 13-24, and the green contains 25-36.

You can see how this approach allows easy identification of up to 144 fibres in a single cable.

thanks OB, I laid out the fibre strands in no particular order but simply to show the colour range.

This is how the manufacturer, Acome, identifies the cable strands per tube (6 or 12 strands) and the tubes, up to 24 tubes, for a maximum of 288 strands per cable.

untitled2.jpg

They are using a different colour coding standard for the fibres, similar to or based on IEC-60757/IEC-60304, instead of EIA/TIA-598, "Optical Fiber Cable Color Coding"

IEC-60757/IEC-60304 identifies the colours as Blue, Orange, Green, Red, Grey, Yellow, Brown, Violet, Black, White, Pink, Turquoise but no agreed colour positioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

According to an eir engineer I spoke to some time ago
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102307853&postcount=3013
    He had some interesting info about the cable they will use in the ducting.
    It is 36 core, 12 each of three different colours ....... and one of those colour batches is reserved for some future use, so 24 fibres to be used.

He compared this to the 32 pair copper eircom had used decades ago.
    He believes the aim is to split each fibre into 8, with the likelihood that up to 200 homes will be served from the 24 fibres, dependent on the houses in an area. He seemed to believe that a x10 way split could occur in places.

The remaining 12 fibres were referred to as 'core' ..... so it looks like those are reserved for going much further out .....

The split ratio according to an eir presentation last year, they chose a cascaded two stage splitter architecture, each fibre will have 1:32 split comprising a primary 1:8 split and a secondary 1:4 split for rural FTTH.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103432680

Rural_FTTH_split.jpg

• Advertisement

Was just on the phone to someone from Eir confirming the order. They are really committed to the lie that 1TB is almost achievable (him:'you'd have to be downloading constantly to reach that number' me: constantly.. for less than 3 hours on a gigabit connection...) and he apparently hasn't heard of anyone even getting close to the 1TB limit in his 7 years there..?!

I don't want to keep banging on about it but really are they an internet service provider or a youtube / facebook / netflix provider? If they seriously can't imagine how someone would use more than 1TB in a month on a gigabit connection they are in the wrong game, but it's obviously the case that it's just complete marketing bs

Was just on the phone to someone from Eir confirming the order. They are really committed to the lie that 1TB is almost achievable (him:'you'd have to be downloading constantly to reach that number' me: constantly.. for less than 3 hours on a gigabit connection...) and he apparently hasn't heard of anyone even getting close to the 1TB limit in his 7 years there..?!

I don't want to keep banging on about it but really are they an internet service provider or a youtube / facebook / netflix provider? If they seriously can't imagine how someone would use more than 1TB in a month on a gigabit connection they are in the wrong game, but it's obviously the case that it's just complete marketing bs
    There not gona change there 1TB limit anytime soon so just keep a eye on what your downloading and you be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Then stop banging on about it here. This is a valid discussion, but it's about caps, not about FTTH. It needs its own thread. It's about an Eir product, not an Open Eir one.

Eir can actually imagine people using more than 1TB a month,
    and have made provision for it. The charge per month is an additional hundred euro so it's there if you want to use it that badly.

Can we split this discussion out of here, as this thread is becoming more and more irrelevant to its original purpose - to note progress in delivery of FTTH.

niallb wrote: »
    Then stop banging on about it here. This is a valid discussion, but it's about caps, not about FTTH. It needs its own thread. It's about an Eir product, not an Open Eir one.

and have made provision for it. The charge per month is an additional hundred euro so it's there if you want to use it that badly.

Can we split this discussion out of here, as this thread is becoming more and more irrelevant to its original purpose - to note progress in delivery of FTTH.
    There no point of even making a thread about download limits it pointless westnet and virgin media are the only two ISP I've know off that are unlimited.The rest have download limits which aren't changing for seeable future.

niallb wrote: »

rawr someone needs a snickers

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

Quick update: Had a successful install and can see why so many fail or are left with lots of exposed wiring. Thankfully a relatively modern house helped.
    Initial feedback - getting wifi speeds of 142MB on 150MB using 5G but falls to 30-40MB using 2.4G and sometimes lower. Must be a router problem. Eir TV seems ok picture-wise but remote control does not control volume like Sky did and menu is glitchy.

cornet wrote: »
    Quick update: Had a successful install and can see why so many fail or are left with lots of exposed wiring. Thankfully a relatively modern house helped.
    Initial feedback - getting wifi speeds of 142MB on 150MB using 5G but falls to 30-40MB using 2.4G and sometimes lower. Must be a router problem. Eir TV seems ok picture-wise but remote control does not control volume like Sky did and menu is glitchy.

Out of interest, who performed the installation? Ours was by KN, and nothing is working. Eir won't listen, KN are saying it's a problem because of another branch of KN and we'll just have to wait and see for a couple of weeks. Basically no one we can speak to is taking responsibility.

Cornet any tips for what we could do to make it go smoother?

Out of interest, who performed the installation? Ours was by KN, and nothing is working. Eir won't listen, KN are saying it's a problem because of another branch of KN and we'll just have to wait and see for a couple of weeks. Basically no one we can speak to is taking responsibility.
    Installed by KN

Cornet any tips for what we could do to make it go smoother?
    Figure out the cable routing yourself beforehand and have a couple of options for them. Know exactly where you want the router. More than likely it will not be where your existing phone is (e.g. Hallway). Remember if you are going with the TV option they need to wire to that too. They are not going to spend any time going into your attic or figuring out the cleanest way to install.

I think if your internal connection is not at a gable end where they can drill in then it will be a problem. They are not going to route cables to the centre of the house.

Our compromise was to install at the TV (gable end) and move the dect phone beside it.

• Advertisement

Our compromise was to install at the TV (gable end) and move the dect phone beside it.

Were you an existing telephone subscriber over the copper line and did they transfer you over to VOIP/VOBB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

We added the TV to our original broadband only order. They used Eir branded homeplugs instead of doing any extra wiring for them TV

Works fine for me.

You'd want to have the router and the TV on the same electrical circuit, but most houses would do AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Fibre rolling out in my area at the moment, had a first look at the aerial cabling being installed

UND1534 manufactured by Acome in France
    Single-mode fibre G652D (N8228A)
    36 Fibres (3x12)
    O.D. 8.3mm

Disassembled an offcut of the cable

untitled1.jpg

Outer sheath on the left
    2 fibre tubes (blue & green)
    3 strands of Aramid yarn as strength member
    1 fibre tube (orange) followed by the 12 strands of fibre from that tube, coloured - turquoise, violet, orange, brown, red, blue, pink, grey, black, yellow, green, white

http://www.acome.fr/index.php/en/Telecoms2/Telecoms-and-Infrastructures-Networks/Products-and-Systems/Optical-FTTH-access-network

Interesting. Your photo portrays the 'aramid' yarn as being clear/white. Is that the case or is it yellow/golden? If the latter, then it's kevlar/aramid. If it is clear/white, then it isn't and is Dynema/Spectra (UHMWPE) which has twice the tensile strength of Kevlar at 2/3 the weight and the 'aramid' mentioned in the brochure is an error. Sorry, irrelevant fiber geekishness.

TL;DR: Would they be OK with running the cable over the roof?

I've been out checking which way the cable could be run and I think the best way goes over the roof.

The phone line (which we are keeping AFAIK because we have a monitored alarm?) connects to the end of the house at the green dot side
    426134.jpg
    this is the wrong side for where would be best to have the cable come in (walls are very thick over on that side and the phone lines as pictured actually run along the whole outside perimeter of the house, coming in on the side of the house I want the fibre to come in.)

426133.jpg

Green dot = pole from previous pictures I've put up
    dotted line = path cable would have to take over the roof
    white dot = where the cable would come into the house

If I was on the roof would they feed cable up to me and let me run it over the house, would I need to run some kind of conduit beforehand that they could just pull the cable through?

At that white dot there is already a hole through a conventionally thick wall, and a plug socket. Either they would need to enlarge the existing hole a bit or I could do it and have a little bit of port hole ready for them there.

The last thing I want is a failed install so want to have it as smooth as possible and all figured out well beforehand

If I was on the roof would they feed cable up to me and let me run it over the house, would I need to run some kind of conduit beforehand that they could just pull the cable through?

No.They said to me that they cannot let others pull the cable.

Were you an existing telephone subscriber over the copper line and did they transfer you over to VOIP/VOBB?
    Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

How would one know if they are transferred over to VOIP/VOBB?

Pangea wrote: »
    How would one know if they are transferred over to VOIP/VOBB?

Your Phone would be pluged into 1 of the 2 phone slots on the back of the router.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Your photo portrays the 'aramid' yarn as being clear/white. Is that the case or is it yellow/golden? If the latter, then it's kevlar/aramid. If it is clear/white, then it isn't and is Dynema/Spectra (UHMWPE) which has twice the tensile strength of Kevlar at 2/3 the weight and the 'aramid' mentioned in the brochure is an error.

Yes it is white and the reference to aramid yarn came from their brochure. Looking at the documentation on the Acome site they refer to the use of Aramid yarn from cable Range 1265 onwards (48 fibre+). The fibre cable I referenced comes from the 24 to 36 fibre range (Range 1199). So you're probably correct.
    Strength member: Aramid yarn from 48 to 144 fibers (from range Z1265)

• Advertisement

Yes.

Were you required to change to VoIP/VOBB from copper or did they ask if you wanted to transfer or did they just change it over without asking?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement