Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should DCC remove tolls on the East Link

• 09-06-2016 8:20am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Now DCC have complete control of the toll on the ast Link, They could remove the toll or reduce it. Current toll for cars is €1.75 which is a pain to find the loose change. It causes delays and even reducing it to €1 would allow more to use the auto lanes.

The toll also adds to traffic on the Beckett bridge and causes quite a lot of congestion around that area.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The reason for removing the toll is to encourage traffic away from the Beckett bridge, and increasing the flow through the bridge.

Reducing it to €1 was to increase the use of the auto lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

The infrastructue on the north side of the bridge could easily handle the extra traffic: quays, port tunnel, east wall road.

Not so sure about the south side. The bulk of the traffic ends up going through Merrion Gates which has a pretty obvious capacity limitation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Merrion Gates needs sorting anyway.

With the ten minute Dart frequency due to start before year end, the gates will hardly open. There is very little room to do anything there without huge disruption and expense.

However, there is huge congestion at the Beckett bridge cause by traffic diverting from the East Link.

Something needs to be done about both.

With the ten minute Dart frequency due to start before year end, the gates will hardly open. There is very little room to do anything there without huge disruption and expense.

However, there is huge congestion at the Beckett bridge cause by traffic diverting from the East Link.

My own view is that an underpass should be built. They are quite common on this kind of junction abroad.

Likely to face mass objections from locals and environmentalists though (often an overlapping group).

It would also be very expensive given that a) it is Ireland; b) it would need to be pumped out; c) need to CPO some very valuable houses.

The most likely property victim would be the old station building (which I presume is a protected structure).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

eastern bypass?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

I say every other council are rubbing their hands in expectation of tolls booths in their counties printing money like dcc are. Dcc have set a precedent here, I know it's long time off for other toll roads being handed back to the local authorities but they are just going to the reason well if it's good enough for dcc then it's good enough for us. 30 years term on the license for the toll was for ,and that's what it should be. I would get rid of the toll in the morning , rant over

iopener wrote: »
    I say every other council are rubbing their hands in expectation of tolls booths in their counties printing money like dcc are. Dcc have set a precedent here, I know it's long time off for other toll roads being handed back to the local authorities but they are just going to the reason well if it's good enough for dcc then it's good enough for us. 30 years term on the license for the toll was for ,and that's what it should be. I would get rid of the toll in the morning , rant over
    Won't the other toll roads revert to TII (formerly NRA)?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

iopener wrote: »

Couldn't agree more on this. It was said by DCC that the East Link would be paid for and made free 30 years after construction, they broke their promise which has now set a precendent for any tolling of infrastructure to be tolled long after the public have paid for it. It's disingenious what they're doing agoodnd its not for the public good, its for their own good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Dcc can get lost with their money grubbing toll, I try to avoid it on principal since Beckett can be just as handy.

Keeping it is bad for the city and sends our the wrong message imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

In an ideal world yes. But I can't see dcc turning down a few million of easy cash every year

plodder wrote:
    eastern bypass?

The original idea for Dublin was an actual ring road. Sadly we settled on a C shaped road

Muahahaha wrote:
    Couldn't agree more on this. It was said by DCC that the East Link would be paid for and made free 30 years after construction, they broke their promise which has now set a precendent for any tolling of infrastructure to be tolled long after the public have paid for it. It's disingenious what they're doing agoodnd its not for the public good, its for their own good.

Unfortunately they never promised this. Now they will collect the toll

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

A miserable little bridge like that should never have been tolled in the first place.

murphaph wrote: »
    A miserable little bridge like that should never have been tolled in the first place.

It was built at the time of the brown envelopes and the time of the origins of the Planning Tribunal.

What really irks me is after the toll booth northbound the 3 to 2 to 1 lane merging has always been a disaster. If you're in the middle lane forget about it.

The middle barrier was out of action today so it was just two lanes merging into 1, it flowed much better despite being down one barrier. Get rid of the toll booths and improve the layout!

cisk wrote: »
    What really irks me is after the toll booth northbound the 3 to 2 to 1 lane merging has always been a disaster. If you're in the middle lane forget about it.

The middle barrier was out of action today so it was just two lanes merging into 1, it flowed much better despite being down one barrier. Get rid of the toll booths and improve the layout!
    Would barrier free tolling not be feasible here?

Given the prevalance of toll tags, etc.

Bray Head wrote: »
    Would barrier free tolling not be feasible here?

Given the prevalance of toll tags, etc.

A single euro coin would make the cash collection bucket easier to use.

Free is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Now DCC have complete control of the toll on the ast Link, They could remove the toll or reduce it.

or increase it, Why give up the revenue?
    Current toll for cars is €1.75 which is a pain to find the loose change. It causes delays and even reducing it to €1 would allow more to use the auto lanes.

increase to €2 then, problem solved
    The toll also adds to traffic on the Beckett bridge and causes quite a lot of congestion around that area.

a Non-tolled alternative could tend to attract more traffic, makes it worth paying the toll rally to avoid this congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

a Non-tolled alternative could tend to attract more traffic, makes it worth paying the toll rally to avoid this congestion.

I don't think that's a good enough reason for tolling people to be honest. Keeping the toll just diverts congestion to the other bridges.

If the toll went towards an east link improvement fund fair enough, but it doesn't.

• Advertisement

The East Link has a serious congestion issue caused by the roundabout at the North end. That needs sorting.

There is also an issue with the Point when there is a big event on - traffic management is nearly impossible at that time.

The East Link has a serious congestion issue caused by the roundabout at the North end. That needs sorting.
    How would you 'sort' this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

D.L.R. wrote: »
    If the toll went towards an east link improvement fund fair enough, but it doesn't.

It goes on a Dublin City improvement fund which includes the east link.

Close the East Link bridge and North Wll quay when there's an event on, force people to walk or take public transport, just like they do when going to events in Croke Park or Lansdowne Road.

Simple solution would be to turn the roundabout into a traffic light controlled junction. Otherwise introduce a one way system involving Castleforbes Road perhaps.

If the bridge was toll free then the congestion on the southern side might be eased considerably, but the Merrion Gates becomes another problem calling out for solution, but that will need sorting when the ten minute Darts start.

Good to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Ah Dublin, where we toll Liffey crossings at the edge of the city and have free crossings in the city centre...

Advertisement