Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Adbrowne wrote: »
    England could be playing kruis, launchbury at lock and Itoje at 6 v the aussies. Robshaw losing out, injured?

Or Jones is planning for the future and Robshaw is too old for him.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,276 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Adbrowne wrote: »
    England could be playing kruis, launchbury at lock and Itoje at 6 v the aussies. Robshaw losing out, injured?

not injured afaik, but jones is very wary of the pocock / hooper factor so perhaps wants some more disruptive power around the fringes.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

There's been a lot of talk from the England camp about going down there with a "Bodyline" attitude - aggressive, physical, trying to unsettle them by winning the collisions. Itoje would be a far more physical blindside with a lot more carrying.

It also opens a way back into the team for Launchbury, and he probably did his credit score quite a lot of good against Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Don't think Muldowney is a big fan of the Residency rules
    https://twitter.com/AlyMuldowney/status/740161851057659905

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Can't be bothered looking for the thread for USA Pro Rugby but I see they've added silly names to all the teams. Ohio Aviators, San Diego Breakers etc. etc.

https://twitter.com/risforrugby/status/740160205774827520

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Can't be bothered looking for the thread for USA Pro Rugby but I see they've added silly names to all the teams. Ohio Aviators, San Diego Breakers etc. etc.

https://twitter.com/risforrugby/status/740160205774827520

They do love their stupid names for Sports teams don't they.

Guess it makes it easier for them to move the "franchise" to a different city when the time comes, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    They do love their stupid names for Sports teams don't they.

Guess it makes it easier for them to move the "franchise" to a different city when the time comes, but still.

Well there are so many different pro teams in some cities you need names!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The names are all a bit smashy smashy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster and Leicester are the only teams allowed names. Very similarly named teams that confuses foreigners so we obviously decided to pick extremely different names to make it easy for them to remember. Leinster Lions, Leicester Tigers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Leinster and Leicester are the only teams allowed names. Very similarly named teams that confuses foreigners so we obviously decided to pick extremely different names to make it easy for them to remember. Leinster Lions, Leicester Tigers.

Why did they drop the Leinster Lions thing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Why did they drop the Leinster Lions thing?

Cause it was a bit stupid I guess. It never really caught on and didn't really mesh with the other provinces.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I can see it now the Munster Liginds

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's better than the poxy initials they use in the Top 14 anyway.

FCG/ST/RCT/UBB/R92/MHR/CABCL/SP/SUA/USO/ASM/ASR/CO/SFP

How many can you get in 20 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Six. I think.

I don't think I could even name all of the Top 14 tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

9. Had to look up CABCL out of sheer curiosity.

Conor O'Shea's first Italy lineup.

Italy: 15 Luke McLean, 14 Leonardo Sarto, 13 Michele Campagnaro, 12 Tommaso Boni, 11 David Odiete, 10 Carlo Canna, 9 Edoardo Gori,
    8 Andries van Schalkwyk, 7 Simone Favaro, 6 Abraham Steyn, 5 Marco Fuser, 4 Quintin Geldenhuys, 3 Lorenzo Cittadini, 2 Ornel Gega, 1 Andrea Lovotti

Replacements: 16 Oliviero Fabiani, 17 Sami Panico, 18 Pietro Ceccarelli, 19 Valerio Bernabo’, 20 Robert Barbieri, 21 Guglielmo Palazzani, 22 Tommaso Allan, 23 Giovanbattista Venditti

• Registered Users Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Guardian writes that T'eo is in line to start against Australia. Good luck to him. Think he'll do well.

Goromaru to Toulon confirmed today. He didn't seem to make an impact at the Reds but apparently a Japanese TV station has purchased broadcast rights to the Top14 because of this move!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Clegg wrote: »
    The Guardian writes that T'eo is in line to start against Australia. Good luck to him. Think he'll do well.

Who is inside him, Burrell?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Clegg wrote: »
    Who is inside him, Burrell?

T'eo is a 12 - He'll be playing inside Jonathan Joseph if he does get the start I'd assume...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

T'eo is a 12 - He'll be playing inside Jonathan Joseph if he does get the start I'd assume...

Te'o is 100% not a 12. If he plays he'll play 13. But I still think that's a big if.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Te'o is 100% not a 12. If he plays he'll play 13. But I still think that's a big if.

Eddie Jones thinks he's a 12 based on his previous comments before the tour
    “Te’o is a possible. The boy can play. He was an absolutely outstanding rugby league player,” Jones said. “He can go through the line, he has a short passing line and he hits. You don’t want to run down his channel when he is defending at 12. “Potentially we are going to have three world-class options at 12: Manu Tuilagi, Te’o and Owen Farrell. “It’s a great situation to be in and then we’ll pick the one who suits the game.”

It'll be interesting to see where he plays and how they use him.

molloyjh wrote: »

He's played 12 for the majority of his time with Leinster though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

He's played 12 for the majority of his time with Leinster though?

He played a lot at 12 this season to accommodate Ringrose but last season he was used at 13 and it suits him a lot better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

He played a lot at 12 this season to accommodate Ringrose but last season he was used at 13 and it suits him a lot better imo.

Ye will pretty much be getting more of the same with Henshaw :p

If any of ye are on Twitter, #ItsThePro12sFault is rather fun hashtag to follow at the moment - completely pulling the pistachio out of Shaun Edwards remarks of blaming Pro12 for Wales defeat, dispite Welsh sides finished 5th,7th,8th and 10th in this league

Tony Brown will coach Highlanders in 2017 but go to Japan to coach the national team in 2018

http://thehighlanders.co.nz/our-news/latest-news/761-highlanders-announce-tony-brown-to-lead-team-in-2017

WHY IS HE NOT COMING HERE?!

Also looks like people are being way too precious about Shaun Edwards' Pro 12 comments. I suppose that was to be expected but what he actually said wasn't even remotely objectionable (it's a step up for guys going from running 55 meters per minute to 85 meters per minute, how dare he suggest such a thing!).

• Subscribers Posts: 41,276 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Tony Brown will coach Highlanders in 2017 but go to Japan to coach the national team in 2018

http://thehighlanders.co.nz/our-news/latest-news/761-highlanders-announce-tony-brown-to-lead-team-in-2017

WHY IS HE NOT COMING HERE?!

Not sure how I feel about that.

Tony seems to be giving up a super rugby head coach position in 2018 for another an assistant role under Jamie Joseph, at Japan.
    Looks like Mark hammett being groomed to take over then, meh.

• Advertisement

Also looks like people are being way too precious about Shaun Edwards' Pro 12 comments. I suppose that was to be expected but what he actually said wasn't even remotely objectionable (it's a step up for guys going from running 55 meters per minute to 85 meters per minute, how dare he suggest such a thing!).

He said that the league lacked intensity
    Didn't mention fact Welsh regions don't take it seriously as being a factor, hence their league positions in this league he belittles
    Everyone saw through his remarks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement