Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honey bee?

Options
  • 04-06-2016 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have a hole in the garden will loads of these flying around

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Hi all

I have a hole in the garden will loads of these flying around

Look like one alright. Just arrived?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I think so. they arrived this week.

They are going in and out of a hole beside a drain in the garden.

They were very chilled but all had loads of pollen

Lucky you. Nothing nicer than sitting in the garden on the weekend with a cold beer watching bees do their thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Satriale wrote: »
    Lucky you. Nothing nicer than sitting in the garden on the weekend with a cold beer watching bees do their thing.

I will keep and eye on it to see if it grows.
    Problem is i need to cut the grass and i dont want to piss the off.

I might see if someone can set up a 5 frame Nuc in the garden to see if they will leave the hole

You might want to get a local beekeeper to have a look and get some advice. If they've decided on that hole i doubt they will move to a nuc voluntarily(plus it mightn't be big enough for them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    I think so. they arrived this week.

They are going in and out of a hole beside a drain in the garden.

They were very chilled but all had loads of pollen

I'm not sure that they are honey bees. There are species of mining bees with coloured legs that can easily be mistaken for pollen. You say that they ALL have loads of pollen? That wouldn't be normal.

Can you get a better photograph?

If they are mining bees, the advantages are that they are likely even more placid than honey bees (mow away!) and the colony will disperse in the late autumn rather than set up a permanent home there.

Advertisement