Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bringing an Airsoft Pistol from USA back to Ireland.

Options
  • 03-06-2016 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Alright lads, I don't know if this is the place to ask, but I seen a thread like this here before, but it wasn't very informative.

So.....I'm going to the states on holidays, and I've been told by family that are already over there atm, that an airsoft store near where we are staying is selling a Glock 18C for with 2 mags. He said that he talked to the clerk and that they are only 318 FPS.

What I want to know is if I'm 1) Legally allowed to bring it over on a commercial flight (luggage obviously, not carry on) 2) How much will I have to pay on duty charges if I am allowed. I plan on also getting a new GTX 1070 over there to bring back for myself, cause my 7870 is dying.

Any and all help is appreciated. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

First things first, I'd check whether or not the price being charged for the pistol + mags (and the calculated excise tax that you may get h it with) is really a saving. Doubly so since you're wanting to bring back a new graphics card. The airsoft pistol will - sure as flies are drawn to sh*t - earn you the attention of customs in Dublin airport. Which will lead them onto your shiny new graphics card.

On a more practical note airsoft wise - US law dictates that any airsoft guns sold in the US are required to have the front 1/8 (I think it is) of the barrel marked red. Trademarks are also not permitted (unless paid for by the manufacturer) so whilst you may not care about trades, if the pistol has trades, they will be defaced to comply with US law. That means your shiny new pistol has been defaced before you've even bought it.

Now, if you're wanting to bring it back with you after all of the above is said & done, you will have to go reading through your airlines fine print. The closest fine-print that they may have will be about paintball markers. If they don't, you're into unknown territory. But from my experience with airlines across Europe, it goes something like this: You call them up to declare in advance and you'll be slapped with additional 'sports baggage' charges as the pistol will be required packed in its own locked and baggage-handler-survivable case. Stuffing it in your luggage is a guaruanteed trip into a room somewhere whilst Airport security and/or police ask you "WTF is this"? If you're really unlucky it'll be after you've gone through security and are fifteen minutes from boarding (as happened with three guys I know, on the same flight as myself returning to Dublin from Stockholm).

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ChrisWhelo

Lemming wrote: »
    First things first, I'd check whether or not the price being charged for the pistol + mags (and the calculated excise tax that you may get h it with) is really a saving. Doubly so since you're wanting to bring back a new graphics card. The airsoft pistol will - sure as flies are drawn to sh*t - earn you the attention of customs in Dublin airport. Which will lead them onto your shiny new graphics card.

On a more practical note airsoft wise - US law dictates that any airsoft guns sold in the US are required to have the front 1/8 (I think it is) of the barrel marked red. Trademarks are also not permitted (unless paid for by the manufacturer) so whilst you may not care about trades, if the pistol has trades, they will be defaced to comply with US law. That means your shiny new pistol has been defaced before you've even bought it.

Now, if you're wanting to bring it back with you after all of the above is said & done, you will have to go reading through your airlines fine print. The closest fine-print that they may have will be about paintball markers. If they don't, you're into unknown territory. But from my experience with airlines across Europe, it goes something like this: You call them up to declare in advance and you'll be slapped with additional 'sports baggage' charges as the pistol will be required packed in its own locked and baggage-handler-survivable case. Stuffing it in your luggage is a guaruanteed trip into a room somewhere whilst Airport security and/or police ask you "WTF is this"? If you're really unlucky it'll be after you've gone through security and are fifteen minutes from boarding (as happened with three guys I know, on the same flight as myself returning to Dublin from Stockholm).

Thanks for the info. Sorry about the late reply, have been working and only got a chance to look over this now.

I'll be flying over to Manchester airport with Aer Lingus, and then on the same day over to America with Virgin Airlines. From what I've read up on, both airlines allow these to be in luggage hold, as long as they're in there own case, and in the luggage hold, and in the case of Aer Lingus, been declared 48 hours before hand.

To buy it brand new, it will definitely be worth the saving, including the taxes so I would still be looking to bring it over. As for the graphics card, I think I'll wait, as it will be $470 for the ****ty base edition including taxes and shipping.

Thanks for the info, you definitely steered me in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

ChrisWhelo wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Sorry about the late reply, have been working and only got a chance to look over this now.

I'll be flying over to Manchester airport with Aer Lingus, and then on the same day over to America with Virgin Airlines. From what I've read up on, both airlines allow these to be in luggage hold, as long as they're in there own case, and in the luggage hold, and in the case of Aer Lingus, been declared 48 hours before hand.

To buy it brand new, it will definitely be worth the saving, including the taxes so I would still be looking to bring it over. As for the graphics card, I think I'll wait, as it will be $470 for the ****ty base edition including taxes and shipping.

Thanks for the info, you definitely steered me in the right direction.

Just a word of warning; you may end up with hassle transferring at Manchester. Be prepared to possibly deal with an absolute jobsworth that is interpreting "import into the UK" vs. "passing through en-route" regards RIFs ass-backwards. Long and short: if you are importing a RIF into the UK you need to be able to prove that you are entitled to avail of the 'skirmisher' defence as laid out within the Violent Crime Reduction Act (VCRA) act of 2007. You also need to be aged 18+. But, you aren't importing a RIF into the UK, simply passing through en-route to another country. Important but very relevant point. So when transferring, I would check and double check with the airline desk that all of your checked-in luggage has been transferred without issue.

Whilst I know several people who have had terrible hassle with airlines; prsonally speaking, any situations that I have found myself in have been resolved by remaining calm and authorative on the law, and the airline's own fine-print regards the transportation of replica firearms/paintball markers/etc. Chance are that you will be the one citing either legal obligations and/or the airline's own policies to its staff or airport security who most likely simply wont have a clue. Be patient. Be firm. But most importantly, if you don't come across like a complete headcase you'll be off to a good start.

Last but not least; if you are intent on doing this, get in touch with the Irish Airsoft Assocation who may be able to steer you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ChrisWhelo

Lemming wrote: »
    Just a word of warning; you may end up with hassle transferring at Manchester. Be prepared to possibly deal with an absolute jobsworth that is interpreting "import into the UK" vs. "passing through en-route" regards RIFs ass-backwards. Long and short: if you are importing a RIF into the UK you need to be able to prove that you are entitled to avail of the 'skirmisher' defence as laid out within the Violent Crime Reduction Act (VCRA) act of 2007. You also need to be aged 18+. But, you aren't importing a RIF into the UK, simply passing through en-route to another country. Important but very relevant point. So when transferring, I would check and double check with the airline desk that all of your checked-in luggage has been transferred without issue.

Whilst I know several people who have had terrible hassle with airlines; prsonally speaking, any situations that I have found myself in have been resolved by remaining calm and authorative on the law, and the airline's own fine-print regards the transportation of replica firearms/paintball markers/etc. Chance are that you will be the one citing either legal obligations and/or the airline's own policies to its staff or airport security who most likely simply wont have a clue. Be patient. Be firm. But most importantly, if you don't come across like a complete headcase you'll be off to a good start.

Last but not least; if you are intent on doing this, get in touch with the Irish Airsoft Assocation who may be able to steer you in the right direction.

I have heard about people getting into difficulty in Britain with proving that they are not for import. Both airlines do allow them, so I'll print off the pages with that info, as well as irish law on Airsoft, just to be sure to be sure if you get me.

Cheers for the help, it's been very appreciated!

Advertisement