Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motoring Plans for 2016

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Wish I could claim something exciting but for now just new front tyres for the Alfa in Jan and service and maintain it then.

Thinking of buying a house later in the year and there's also word of me getting married in July :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Some of us keep our biggest plans to ourselves, then reveal it in a build thread in projects. Hint hint...

Only a clown shouts about big plans with guns ablaze and genetalia sticking out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

Some of us keep our biggest plans to ourselves, then reveal it in a build thread in projects. Hint hint...

Only a clown shouts about big plans with guns ablaze and genetalia sticking out

I haven't seen any build thread on the forum yet?

Asmooh wrote: »
    I haven't seen any build thread on the forum yet?

I wouldn't expect you to pick up on that either ;)

I wouldn't expect you to pick up on that either ;)

It's not easy to keep track of some things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

List for the DC5

4 x goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric tires
    Full service
    Double din
    Recaro fitted seat covers
    Machine polish

List for civic

Fix back bumper, bonnet and key marks
    New timing belt and full service
    4 x tires
    Machine polish
    New brakes

Going to be a pricey year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭micks_address

Service for my civic tourer in a few weeks and hopefully Wednesday getting this installed..

http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00UJEO74C/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1451158463&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=f70dab&dpPl=1&dpID=51H%2BTIVEStL&ref=plSrch

Sitting under the Xmas tree and have double din fascia ready to rock...

Can't wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I bought a new car in June after having my previous car 8 years so I plan to keep it ticking over nicely and services regularly. The nct isn't due until February 17 and I don't anticipate any issues with it fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Really? Is it a hatch or the last of the hawkeyes? To find an sti hatch on the old tax band would be unreal! Someone recommended me one a few months back that was for sale over on a subaru forum but it was heavily modified so put me off.
    If you hear any more details of this it would be great if you could pass them on, I will certainly be keeping an eye out when it comes up for sale!!
    I automatically assumed it was the saloon but after doing a bit of googling I'd say it's a hatch. I think he bought it new when he was living in the UK. He did say that it hasn't been modified.

If you want I can ask him a few questions for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

My plan is to put a few bits and pieces into the suspension in the 166. Not sure the extent of what it needs yet but it'll be a few bits probably. It needs front brake discs too and i'm sure a service too.. I might tax it and if it's really good it might get a wash too:p.

Progress has stalled a bit on the jeep project recently due to winter mostly. Hopefully at the end of January or early February I'll get in a big order of parts for it. If I manage to be good and don't go on holidays... hopefully it'll be finished for mid summer.

Next on the list is the CLK320 that myself 166man and QV own. It needs a track rod end and a lower ball joint. We'll get a set of tyres for it, brakes all round and a service too. It also needs a few other small bits, a small rip in the seat fixed (the stitching has come undone) and the phone kit removed. I'm sure some other bits too but can't remember off hand!

That is the stuff that will definitely be done but obviously there is much more on the dream list! I would love to get the wheels on the 166 and CLK refurbished. I would love to get around to doing a paint correction on the 166 too. I want to buy a few more cars too but I'll need to go up a pay grade for that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

shietpilot wrote: »
    • Find some nice OEM alloys for the Focus
    • Polish the car at least once in its life
    • Get a double-din Android head unit
    • Re-run wiring for subwoofer

Just updating my to-do list :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Me I'll hold on to her a while yet. NCT due first week in January but not expecting anything major - they may make me replace one of the tyres as I "skinned" the side of one a while back after being forced to mount a ridiculously large kerb to avoid an asshole in a SUV barreling towards me. Tyre place reckoned its ok but who knows with the NCT.. hasn't given any bother since anyway.

I do still keep an eye out for a potential change but I just can't find the same spec :(

So I've come to the decision that my beautiful black A6 will have to go in the new year I think. The tax bill, the mileage, and the insurance loadings mean that I'm going to have to be "sensible" and look for something else.

Because the multitronic box in the 2L version is like chocolate, that leaves me either another 3L (with silly tax in the pre-2012 range), or another marque. Because I like the interior quality of the Germans that realistically means VW, BMW or Mercedes

BMW is almost definitely out as I don't rate the E60, and the F10s in the 2010/11 range seem to have mega mileage

Mercedes would be an E-class but I'd rather a CLS (except it has the same tax bill as the equivalent Audis)

That leaves VW, and I've been looking at GT spec CC's and trying to decide if I could live with the lower horsey count (170 vs 225) and effectively the same cabin as my old 06 Passat - which isn't a bad thing I suppose but different can be good too :) Decent spec is key though as I spent a lot of time in the car and that's very hit and miss across all brands.

The alternative would be to try and hold out another 12-18 months and then get a 12 reg in late 2017/early 2018 as the newer engines in the 3L variants have a tax bill of about €280 rather than €1200... but that presumes my current car will continue to hold up to the 1500km a week she's doing now.

Hard to know what's best but I'm on the look out now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I didnt have many plans for 2016 but that changed when I got a new job and started driving the OH's BMW 3 series. So far it's had front and rear bumper resprayed, bonnet and other bits touched up/polished by Joes Crash Repair, who did a stellar job and was reasonably priced too.
    Had the rear windows tinted with Pro Sign in Limerick and tbh it looks ten times better with the tint.

Would like to get the wheels either refurbed or get new OEM wheels but the latter seem to be very expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Mc Love wrote:
    Would like to get the wheels either refurbed or get new OEM wheels but the latter seem to be very expensive!

What ones are on it?

What ones are on it?

20160515_142527_zps5qe6vq6g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I think these ones are the nicest oem ones, them and m sports. Can't be sure, but think they're off the se.

yeah they are not bad at all! I believe SE was one of the top models, is what we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Black E39:
    -NCT it
    -New Wheels
    -Coilovers or Suspension Refresh
    -Fix Engine Leak
    -Full Service

Red E39:
    -New Bumper
    -Wheel Speed Sensor
    -MFSW
    -NCT it Attempted :pac:
    -Try for a Classic Insurance Policy

That didn't go so bad :)

Humpy the Corolla: Machine T25 turbo to fit onto the D-Turbo under the bonnet

Z: Keep doing it up bit by bit. Doesn't need very much but what it needs is time consuming (eg main input seal is leaking on the gearbox, HICAS delete, rebuild the power steering pump etc)

Big Tom: prep it for its conversion (OM604 to OM606)

There are others but we'll leave them alone for now :)

Mid year update...? :confused::p

As I'm focusing on some important things at the moment, I did manage to get some of the list seen to... He lied! :o

Zero to f*ck all has been done. Other priorities

Since that list was made though I have bought/acquired 3 more cars that I'm focusing on (C220 and 2 others I'm not going to reveal.... Yet)

The C220 has had a lot of work done that I generally didn't talk much about on here (injector washers, new shocks, springs, balljoints, drag link, wheel bearings, handbrake mechanism, indicator lenses, headlamps, mirror, various niggly bits of interior including welding floorpans, the "Big Tom" grille) and much more I can't be arsed to remember. I bought it in late January and have 15k miles up since. Such a nice car to drive :)

I have a mini list for it as I have the car mostly mechanically sound:
    • W210 brakes all round
    • Refurb W210 sports I have sitting round
    • New steering wheel
    • New tyres
    • Decat
    • GT22V install

Bodywork is flappy in places, like me :) and I couldn't be arsed sorting that as the car is meant to be driven, not idolized

I had considered other interesting adjustments but I haven't the resources to do so

It's finding the time to do all this stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

CIP4 wrote: »
    Every year I Come on this thread and say I'll definitely keep car x for the year and that has literally never happened. Ye so this year I'm definitely going to keep the Megane :pac: I had been on about changing it during the year but after a lot of thinking I think I'll keep it. Would have to put 10k euro plus with it to get the kind of car I'd like and I don't think it's worth it.

As for plans for the Megane it's getting serviced first week January it's booked in. It will probably need tyres in a few months. I recon the service will show up it needs some suspension work. Will need brake pads in a few months. Timing belt due in May also. Sounds like a lot but I've spent no money on it since I bought it so I expect to have to spend a bit on it as it's far from a new car anymore engine is sweet out and dry as a bone though so you wouldn't mind having to do a few minor things.

I couldn't even remember what I put down. I still have the Megane anyway that's a good start :)

- It got its full service in January along with a brake fluid change.
    - new wipers fitted recently
    - replaced the broken rear reflector with a new one from the dealer
    - a gasket on the air intake was replaced along with a hose (under warranty)
    - it actually doesn't need tyres yet will need two fronts end of the summer they are lasting better than expected
    - timing belt due in 8k km so not done yet
    - hasn't needed any suspension work or brake pads might need rear pads the end of the year but they are still good
    - changed gearbox oil last week
    - needs a minor service in about 4K km

Overall nothing too major there is 142k km on it at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

The CL has had
    Front and rear discs
    Front ABS/Pad wear sensors
    Fuel pump
    Gearbox oil change

SL comes off the road in September to drop front and rear suspension, powder coat the lot and replace any consumables.

Blue W124 coupe gets finished for sale

Red W124 coupe has paint stripped from bonnet and roof to correct new paint issues

Smart gets paint touch up

Takes deep breath and pays tax

Advertisement