Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third class honors any use?

Options
  • 01-03-2016 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I'm going to be going into my final year with a qca below 2.1.
    A 2.2 degree is 2.6 and up, so it's unlikely I will get it.

Is a third class honors degree going to be any good for getting a job when I'm finished next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

It depends.
    I have known people to get <2.6 QCA and get jobs in the technical industry that they studied in. Also known people that got close to 2.0 QCA that got accepted into Masters programmes, but only after a few years of proving their capability in related industries.

If you interview well, it'll be less of an issue. It will be helpful to have other related qualifications, and not just the degree, if at all possible with that.

After a few years of proven competency in industry, the grade of degree becomes much less relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

shanemib wrote: »
    I'm going to be going into my final year with a qca below 2.1.
    A 2.2 degree is 2.6 and up, so it's unlikely I will get it.

Is a third class honors degree going to be any good for getting a job when I'm finished next year?

I got a "Pass" and I did just fine. I'm a software developer and it was tough for a few years because most big companies wont give you the time of day if you don't have a 2,1. Once you have about 3 year experience in your chosen field no one's looking at your scores. They just want to know you got a degree and what it was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

I got a "Pass" and I did just fine. I'm a software developer and it was tough for a few years because most big companies wont give you the time of day if you don't have a 2,1. Once you have about 3 year experience in your chosen field no one's looking at your scores. They just want to know you got a degree and what it was in.

Agreed, work experience speaks more than what a piece of paper will ever say. I got a pass degree as well but the work experience I had helped as well.

Also I did a postgrad diploma right after my undergrad...it was a springboard course but when you looked at my cv it seemed more of a big deal than just me really clutching at straws!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I finished with a QCA of 2.4, but I did have some some circumstances which contributed to that. Because of that I got accepted onto a masters and so far the m on track for. 2:1 in that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I'm in a similar situation atm, can D grades be repeated?

• Advertisement

Daniel S wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation atm, can D grades be repeated?

Not in 4th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I finished up with a 2.38 QCA 14 years ago. I'm currently doing a Masters (elsewhere) with a projected 1.1/2.1. The "pass" degree never held me back, I've never been asked what grade my degree is, and it's obviously not on my CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

testicle wrote: »
    I finished up with a 2.38 QCA 14 years ago. I'm currently doing a Masters (elsewhere) with a projected 1.1/2.1. The "pass" degree never held me back, I've never been asked what grade my degree is, and it's obviously not on my CV.

Not that it mattered to you, but at 2.38 it would have been at UL's descretion to upgrade you to a 2.2.

Not that it mattered to you, but at 2.38 it would have been at UL's descretion to upgrade you to a 2.2.

Can they do that from that range?

• Site Banned Posts: 32 FiannaSuccess

Basically, no. Just put 2.2 down and hope they don't check. A 2.2 is pretty rubbish as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Daniel S wrote: »
    Can they do that from that range?

Scrap that, I thought a 2.2 was 2.4. Ignore. :o

I think they can bring you up from a .1 difference.

Scrap that, I thought a 2.2 was 2.4. Ignore. :o

I think they can bring you up from a .1 difference.

A 2.2 is 2.6 afaik. 2.5 is including the discretionary band.

I got 2.32 and they didn't bring me up

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wonzy

Only thing is that you mightn't get your foot in the door as quickly. I got a third class honors and am currently on 45k at 27.

Just make sure your C.V is excellent and it actually contains software and systems that you use in the work place, not just what your thought in college.Research C.Vs and see what people with 10 years experience have down on their C.V

It would help if you told us what you studied. It is still a college degree and should get a job from it depending on what you studied.

As others have said after a year or two of employment you will never be asked for your grade again as college only teaches you 10% of what you need to actually know.

Don't Fret and enjoy finishing college!

Advertisement