Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whipping Boy

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Please keep it on topic. No more unfounded allegations about members of the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Could well be true but idk its porb a bit unfair to be calling for reunions ..well aware of this bands history but they left an indelible mark on the Irish music landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Please keep it on topic. No more unfounded allegations about members of the band.
    No more re-animating eight year old threads, that had the last previous post six years ago?

Feck. I think that boy must be well and truly whipped by now... Great band in their day. Powerful live.

endacl wrote: »
    No more re-animating eight year old threads, that had the last previous post six years ago?

Feck. I think that boy must be well and truly whipped by now... Great band in their day. Powerful live.

I agree but there is a definite lack of anything new here ..it all seems to be about auld bands making feeble comebacks and the sheep flocking along to hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Can any Whipping Boy experts help me to find a song I heard by them on the radio once about 20 years ago. The song started with the lyrics: "When we were kids we used to go over the back wall into old Johnny's scrapyard".

I know it sounds like a line out of "When We Were Young", but it was a completely different song. It's definitely not on Heartworm, which I know like the back of my hand, but I've never heard any of their other stuff.

It was a great song and I'd love to hear it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

That's "When We Were Young (Philo Version)". It's a poem by Phil Lynott set to the same music. It's a b-side on one of the Heartworm singles.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    That's "When We Were Young (Philo Version)". It's a poem by Phil Lynott set to the same music. It's a b-side on one of the Heartworm singles.

Excellent, thanks a million.

Thanks indeed,I hadn't heard it before,puts the a-side in the shade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Ld7ff4VB4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Debil

Likewise, hadn't heard it before. Cheers!

"Of him and the boys, poised ..."

Savage!

Debil wrote: »
    Likewise, hadn't heard it before. Cheers!

"Of him and the boys, poised ..."

Savage!

Still sounds as good as when I first heard it. Beautiful lyrics.

• Advertisement

25 year anniversary Heartworm reissue on Vinyl coming soon ..I can still listen to Heartworm and say it still sounds amazing

https://twitter.com/pagep195/status/1292048069224169472?s=20

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

25 year anniversary Heartworm reissue on Vinyl coming soon ..I can still listen to Heartworm and say it still sounds amazing

https://twitter.com/pagep195/status/1292048069224169472?s=20

:cool:

Listened to the album start to finish on road trip last Sunday. Absolutely amazing. Never tire of it. Need to get new CD though. Starting to skip. Broke my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Brilliant album. People will start comparing them to the Fontaines :p

Granadino wrote: »
    Brilliant album. People will start comparing them to the Fontaines :p

I actually thought Murder Capital could have being worthy successors.Their front man has that madman look in his eyes.
    Someone asked Paul Page on Twitter were was Fergal these times and he has no idea so chances of a reunion gig slim to zero.:(

I actually thought Murder Capital could have being worthy successors.Their front man has that madman look in his eyes.
    Someone asked Paul Page on Twitter were was Fergal these times and he has no idea so chances of a reunion gig slim to zero.:(

I like your taste, Urban. I think the Murder Capital debut is remarkable. I absolutely adore it. But I was trying to get my mates to listen to it. And all I got back was a "its alright". I couldn't understand it.
    He's a great frontman. I saw them along with Fontaines at some charity thing some months ago. Murder capital played about 4 songs I think.And Fontaines played about 7/8 tunes. They were good. But I'd take Murder Capital all day long.
    Your man does look like some soldier dude that could just lose his head at any moment. I'll never forget the tune Feeling Fades in the Olympia that night.

Back on the Whipping Boy topic - would be lovely to see Fergal taking to the stage in a helmet again. I saw them when I was in college. Didn't realise at the time that I was witnessing something special.

They'd want to start coming up with their own live tv studio ideas :p Murder Capital that is.... it's like a copy of WB LLS appearance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpqN83jQ4dc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AE-axfhMVk

Granadino wrote: »
    They'd want to start coming up with their own live tv studio ideas :p Murder Capital that is.... it's like a copy of WB LLS appearance!

Re WB Must have being difficult to perform in front of a crowd of stiffs:pac:
    Not a great choice of song by MC on that occasion ..I hope they are working on second hard hitting album.

Some recent uploads of WB footage to youtube.

Well no point harping on great band under appreaciated highy appreciated now that the way it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

:

I remember the unsold blue vinyl copies in Virgin and HMV back in 1995. I bought one, a mate bought one and the remaining eight or so seemed to stay there for ages. That happened with a lot of new LPs then.

Hopefully the album will get a 2CD reissue with all the B-Sides and radio edits. Plus maybe some live stuff.

I picked up Heartworm a few months back, brand new CD on ebay from a UK shop.

• Advertisement

Not whipping boy but great tune

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Joffrey

I like your taste, Urban. I think the Murder Capital debut is remarkable. I absolutely adore it. But I was trying to get my mates to listen to it. And all I got back was a "its alright". I couldn't understand it.
    He's a great frontman. I saw them along with Fontaines at some charity thing some months ago. Murder capital played about 4 songs I think.And Fontaines played about 7/8 tunes. They were good. But I'd take Murder Capital all day long.
    Your man does look like some soldier dude that could just lose his head at any moment. I'll never forget the tune Feeling Fades in the Olympia that night.

Back on the Whipping Boy topic - would be lovely to see Fergal taking to the stage in a helmet again. I saw them when I was in college. Didn't realise at the time that I was witnessing something special.

A madman? then don't watch him in interviews, will put you asleep.

Joffrey wrote: »
    A madman? then don't watch him in interviews, will put you asleep.

Savage band ok wont watch the interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Don’t know about underrated. They are constantly mentioned in best of lists, and Heartworm is often cited as one of the best, if not the best Irish albums ever. Personally Haven’t heard much of them, but what I have heard left me cold. For me the best and most underrated Irish band ever is the Stars of Heaven, though people who like them tend to really love them. They’re one of my favourite ever bands, let alone Irish bands. Wonderful songs.

Got the reissue of Heartworm on vinyl and CD. Plenty in Tower Records in Dublin if anyone looking. Couple of interesting versions of the album songs in as extras, and couple of additional songs. Great to have Heartworm back on the speakers again. CD was scratched to bits from overplay for the last decade.

It's a slightly underwhelming reissue. Here was a real opportunity to gather up all the period material (B-sides, live tracks & single edits) but instead we got an incomplete release which only included half of the relevant bonus tracks. Instead of maximising the storage capacity of two CDs, the content decision seems to have been dictated to by vinyl running times. Anything more and they would have needed a third LP which would have pushed the price north of €50. A sizeable number of people seemed to be more interested in boasting that they would finally own a vinyl copy of the album rather than the celebrating the reissue and its content. Some of these same evangelical individuals were happy to leave the LP on the shelves back in 1995; instead forking out for the cassette or CD instead. If it was up to me, I would have reissued the album on vinyl with no bonus material and also put out a double CD with as many extra tracks as possible.

A sizeable number of people seemed to be more interested in boasting that they would finally own a vinyl copy of the album rather than the celebrating the reissue and its content. 

I'm not one of those. I have no record player and zero vinyls. The vinyl I bought is for a family member who does have a record player.

Couple of live tracks would have been nice alright. Do they have more b-sides, other than various versions of the album sings and the couple that are on the re-issue e.g Disappointed.

Wasn't getting at you, was more of a general observation of the reaction to the reissue.

In terms of what's not there:

Twinkle (US Radio Edit)

Twinkle (UK Radio Edit)

We Don't Need Nobody Else (Radio Edit)

Plaything

Here I Am

Favourite Sister (Live)

Blinded (Live)

Personality (Live)

Users (Live)

Fiction (Live)

The Honeymoon Is Over (Live)

All the above appeared on the 7", promo & CD singles of the time so quite a bit missing. The live tracks are great and are soundboard recordings. There was a similar problem with Neneh Cherry's Raw Like Sushi reissue. That was a triple LP and the three CDs each had about 25/26 minutes of unused space - with some key mixes missing including the single version of Buffalo Stance.

• Advertisement

Thank you for that. Going to try to source those tunes that are not on the albums. The song Disappointed on the extras of the Heartworm re-issue is a good tune. Hadn't heard it before.

I just think Heartworm is such an amazing album. I know there is debate as to it's status as best Irish album ever. But for me, it's my favourite worldwide album ever. Before I get slated, I'm not saying its the best album ever made, but just that for me if I had to pick one album to keep whilst disposing of everything else, it would definately be this album.

Advertisement