Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair - New reserved seating structure(s)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

A lap belt can only be safely used until 24 months, any child not booked as an infant won't (and shouldn't) be given a lap belt.

The AMSAFE is fantastic, and I wish more people used it. It can be used up to 40kg.

Another option could be a Forwad facing car seat. Once it's certified for use on board an aircraft, and states on the tag either FAA/CE approves and fits within the armrest dimensions, there's no charge for bringing it on board, and you have to purchase a seat anyways as the child is over 24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Fagashlil wrote: »
    A lap belt can only be safely used until 24 months, any child not booked as an infant won't (and shouldn't) be given a lap belt.

The AMSAFE is fantastic, and I wish more people used it. It can be used up to 40kg.

Another option could be a Forwad facing car seat. Once it's certified for use on board an aircraft, and states on the tag either FAA/CE approves and fits within the armrest dimensions, there's no charge for bringing it on board, and you have to purchase a seat anyways as the child is over 24 months.

We definitely WONT be hauling a car seat on holidays with us, We have decided to hire the Amsafe at the airport as I couldn't justify paying over €70 for something which will just be used once. Can't understand why airlines won't provide them ( even at extra cost when booking!)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 bcoppard

Having always purchased the extra legroom seat for €10 each time I fly, imagine my joy when I saw that Ryanair was advertising a 50% reduction on seats.

I should have known better though. When I went in to purchase my seat, I found out that it had gone UP by 50% from €10 to €15.

The reduction only applied to the 'cheaper' seats.

Quite annoyed really considering that the 50% reduction is plastered all over the seat allocation page!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LouiseMcNulty

I have been allocated a seat with Ryanair. I know that you have to call their call centre if you want it changed but does anyone know what price they charge? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Will be checking in later this week for flights. Four of us travelling, two separate bookings, two people on each. Short of paying to choose our seats, what are our best hopes for getting seats together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 LouiseMcNulty

athtrasna wrote: »
    Will be checking in later this week for flights. Four of us travelling, two separate bookings, two people on each. Short of paying to choose our seats, what are our best hopes for getting seats together?
    I'm just back yesterday my friends and I all booked separate and didn't reserve we all got separate ones although I manage to randomly be seated by two of my friends that had booked together. You could ask the person would they mind swapping when on the plane one lad did on mine but it's just a lot of hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

I consult this site: flights-blog.lowcostroutes.com/2014/04/how-to-get-a-free-seat-on-ryanair/

They've been updating Ryanair's allocation scheme as they've been changing it. Means you just need to check regularly when your desired seating area is next for booking. Of course if there's 2 and 2 of you, it may make it more difficult cos you'd need to wait for someone else to book in between your two check-ins and the risk is of course that you miss booking your seats together or someone decides to pay for the seats beside you. It's your best bet, but certainly no guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Gatica wrote: »
    I consult this site: flights-blog.lowcostroutes.com/2014/04/how-to-get-a-free-seat-on-ryanair/
    <snip>
    good website, and it does mention that they try and cater for familes.

I'm travelling next month with wife and 2 kids, and don't give a damn where we sit so long as kids are beside one of us. We will wait to get off until the plane is nearly empty so having a seat for quick exit is no addition, and getting an exit row isn't possible anyhow .

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Shibby89

I will soon be travelling with ryanair on an approx 2 hr flight with my busy 3 year old son and my husband. We have pre booked our seats. Id like to spend as little time as possible on the plane as my son will get bored very quickly and i fear he will get agitated if sitting on plane for too long with nothing happening.
    So im planning on being one of the last to board the plane as we've pre booked seats. Im ok with the possibility of any hand luggage going into the hold but apart from that are there any other disadvantages of boarding at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Flew with Ryanair and my two kids lately, aged 5&3, and almost by accident we ended up one of the final people to board on the return flight (although we hadn't caused any delay or anything!).
    It was great, had very little time to wait before take off and just shaved maybe 15 mins off the time we'd to keep the kids quiet! Didn't really see any disadvantage to it and the bags we had were quite small so they weren't taken off us.

I think once you've allocated seats It's fine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Shibby89 wrote: »
    I will soon be travelling with ryanair on an approx 2 hr flight with my busy 3 year old son and my husband. We have pre booked our seats. Id like to spend as little time as possible on the plane as my son will get bored very quickly and i fear he will get agitated if sitting on plane for too long with nothing happening.
    So im planning on being one of the last to board the plane as we've pre booked seats. Im ok with the possibility of any hand luggage going into the hold but apart from that are there any other disadvantages of boarding at the end?

None that I know of.

I do that all the time. Couldn't care less if hand luggage is put in the hold either.

Matter of fact, I wish they would ask us if we want to put luggage in the hold for FREE!

But I suppose they are factoring in costs of unloading and etc. and won't do it unless they have to.

They are very good at finding space for overhead bags in my experience. So since I am not the first on, and not worried about being last off, I don't really care what bin the bag goes into as all my valuables are with me in my seat.

Anyway, I hope you have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't think so. Ryanair now allocate numbers to everyone. I never bother pre-booking seats because you can't sit next to emergency exit and for some reason they always give seats to families together. I was hoping somebody else will end up sitting next to our kids but no luck so far. They are also very eager to put you on priority boarding for some reason. If you are not bothered about luggage then I would stick to the back of the que because there is a chance people at the front will be stuck standing on the staircase waiting for plane to be ready for boarding. Those staircases can be a pain if you have to juggle carry on luggage and a child.

At three your son should be past the stage when pulling the hair of passengers in front is best fun ever. Just do whatever you swore you will never do and download a game or cartoons on your phone and get him some crisps or some other rubbish that can't be eaten in one gulp. Try not to offer going to the toilet too early because they figure out very quickly it enables them to run up and down the isle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Non, it's designated seats, you'll be grand. In future no need to pay extra for selecting your seats . They won't separate young kids from adults ( and if they do, happy days!! But really they'll get people to move )

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

ted1 wrote: »
    Non, it's designated seats, you'll be grand. In future no need to pay extra for selecting your seats . They won't separate young kids from adults ( and if they do, happy days!! But really they'll get people to move )

Hi

Have you first hand experience of this? I have two small kids and took a chance on not pre booking seats (save costs etc ) and just intended being at the airport to be nearly first in the que for check in. If most seats are allocated then people might not like to move. Then again on a flight to the sun there should be a few more families also....

clogher71 wrote: »
    Hi

Have you first hand experience of this? I have two small kids and took a chance on not pre booking seats (save costs etc ) and just intended being at the airport to be nearly first in the que for check in. If most seats are allocated then people might not like to move. Then again on a flight to the sun there should be a few more families also....

If it's Ryanair (and this is a Ryanair thread) you'll need to check in online if you have an EU passport. The fees to check in at the airport are prohibitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

athtrasna wrote: »
    If it's Ryanair (and this is a Ryanair thread) you'll need to check in online if you have an EU passport. The fees to check in at the airport are prohibitive.

Hi

Yes it is Ryanair and I will check in on line, do they allocate the seats when you check in on line?

Hi

Yes it is Ryanair and I will check in on line, do they allocate the seats when you check in on line?

They do

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

Do your check in 7 days before the flight if you want to sit together. Later it will be bigger chance that you be separated. However, they always sort you out in the plane.

I don't want it to be taken as a rule but we never got seats apart without booking. I'm sure airlines don't want to deal with a three year old sitting away from their parents. I usually do check in a day or two before departure and the flights we take are usually very full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,237 ✭✭✭✭ted1

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't want it to be taken as a rule but we never got seats apart without booking. I'm sure airlines don't want to deal with a three year old sitting away from their parents. I usually do check in a day or two before departure and the flights we take are usually very full.

As above

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

None that I know of.

I do that all the time. Couldn't care less if hand luggage is put in the hold either.

Matter of fact, I wish they would ask us if we want to put luggage in the hold for FREE!

But I suppose they are factoring in costs of unloading and etc. and won't do it unless they have to.

They are very good at finding space for overhead bags in my experience. So since I am not the first on, and not worried about being last off, I don't really care what bin the bag goes into as all my valuables are with me in my seat.

Anyway, I hope you have a great time.

If you get to the boarding gate and wish to put your hand luggage in the hold for free, just ask any of the boarding staff at said gate and they'll have no problem tagging the bag for you, there's no extra costs in unloading or loading the free tagged bags as the cost is already factored in for the ground crew to be there to do that exact thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

ted1 wrote: »

I read several posts on another thread (to do with travelling with wee ones) and there are definitely cases where either of 2 things happen on a busy flight

a) the flight is delayed because the stewardess has to go asking people to move and often they are reluctant as they have their own kids beside them and went to the trouble & expense of paying for allocated seating.

b) No one will be found to move and the child just has to stay where they are - definitely seems to happen on occasion.

My flight's not til September but I've paid for the pre-allocated seating (6 euro each at the moment - cheaper in advance). I probably would have gotten us altogether if I waited til the 7 day in advance check-in period but there's just no way I'm taking the risk.

For keeping him busy - just pull whatever tricks out of the bag - Leap pad, downloaded cartoons, DVD player with a favourite or new movie, sticker/activity books, lollies (good for ear popping as well because of the sucking motion), books, anything you can find that he might be interested in that's fiddly and time consuming for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

Mink wrote: »
    I read several posts on another thread (to do with travelling with wee ones) and there are definitely cases where either of 2 things happen on a busy flight

a) the flight is delayed because the stewardess has to go asking people to move and often they are reluctant as they have their own kids beside them and went to the trouble & expense of paying for allocated seating.

b) No one will be found to move and the child just has to stay where they are - definitely seems to happen on occasion.

My flight's not til September but I've paid for the pre-allocated seating (6 euro each at the moment - cheaper in advance). I probably would have gotten us altogether if I waited til the 7 day in advance check-in period but there's just no way I'm taking the risk.

For keeping him busy - just pull whatever tricks out of the bag - Leap pad, downloaded cartoons, DVD player with a favourite or new movie, sticker/activity books, lollies (good for ear popping as well because of the sucking motion), books, anything you can find that he might be interested in that's fiddly and time consuming for him!

The plane is not allowed to dispatch with any kids under 12 sitting by themselves, they will always find seats for adults to sit with their kids, whether it will be 1 adult with 1 child or 1 adult with 2 kids and a lone adult by themselves etc etc. Why people worry about delaying an aircraft by a couple of minutes is beyond me, these small things are the part of the dispatch process and are accounted into the timing of things and believe it or not the aircraft can be delayed due to this, the delay code is named 'pax convenience'

• Registered Users Posts: 25,657 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If most seats are allocated then people might not like to move.

If the option is moving, or sitting next to your unaccompanied bratty child, then trust me, most people will move faster than you thought possible!

Mink wrote: »

!
    Is that from before or after Ryanair went to allocated seating? I'm sure algorithm that allocates the seats is built in the way it causes minimal work to plane crew and seats kids next to their parents. Before allocated seating I would book seats on busier flights but since then I don't bother. We were on three trips with kids (4 flights each) since then and we never booked seats. Every time we were allocated four seats on the same row, three on one side and one on the other. Because I usually have to book four flights that saves around 100 Euro per trip.

I've been on a flight where a big man booked security exit seat and was ordered to move for safety reasons. Staff were apologetic but they would not let him stay on that seat.

• Advertisement

Which is fine if it's two adults and two kids. I have a short fuse (usually early mornings and lack of patience) so I usually sit on my own and partner deals with kids. I could care less if I was seating couple rows away from them. In fact it would be quite welcome. :D

Advertisement